• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Playing Tourist Pre/Post Camino

GreatDane

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CF to Burgos Sept/Oct 2014, Burgos to Astorga April 2016, Astorga to SdC 2017
In 2014 I planned 3 days in Madrid to museum hop, city tour and was able to add a half day trip to Toledo. Had a fantastic time and was glad I built in tourist time. This April's camino I've built in time in Madrid to go to El Rastro ->the Sunday flea market. I have a full Monday and am looking into taking the AVE train to Seville for a full day. I thought of Grenada first but it appears there is no high speed train service Madrid-Grenada. What are the not to miss sights in Seville? (yes I've looked them up but what do you experienced Seville visitors suggest?)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks GreatDane, for asking this question. My first Camino starts next month and I'm spending a week in Madrid as a first stop - my first time in Madrid too. I will go to Toledo for a day and am also interested to hear any suggestions for other day trips - El Rastro sounds like a must. I saw The Guernica by Picasso in New York when I was in art school years ago. Will see it again in Madrid after 50 years.

How about visiting Segovia, a world heritage site with the famous Roman aqueduct. There are frequent trains and buses from Madrid so you could stay there overnight - prices are lower than in Madrid or just have a day trip.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hmm, 2 hours 30 on the train to Sevilla - Santa Justa. A stroll to the Espacio Metropol Parasol then El Rincocillo c/Gerona 32 for a tapa or two. Then onward to Eslava c/Eslava 3 for some of the finest food in Seville, maybe taking in the Iglesia del Salvador enroute if your tastes run to the seriously Baroque. Then that pleasant post-prandial stroll back to Santa Justa and a nice snooze on the train.

I'd do it for lunch in Eslava :cool:

Hmm, 2 hours 30 on the train to Sevilla - Santa Justa. A stroll to the Espacio Metropol Parasol then El Rincocillo c/Gerona 32 for a tapa or two. Then onward to Eslava c/Eslava 3 for some of the finest food in Seville, maybe taking in the Iglesia del Salvador enroute if your tastes run to the seriously Baroque. Then that pleasant post-prandial stroll back to Santa Justa and a nice snooze on the train.

Well that's prompted a possible change of itinerary. I immediately started checking out the trains to Sevilla and thinking about cancelling my room in Segovia.

Just the kind of info I was hoping for!! Thanks Tincatinker!! (off to look up Eslava)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Greatdane,
Re Sevilla: All great recommendations so far. Be aware that Eslava (although marvellous) is in every tourist magazine and is always jam-packed. You may end up waiting a very long time for a space to crush at the busy bar (best spot). As Tincatinker said, it’s really worth it for the food. There is another (much more local) excellent place only about 50m from there. Walk behind the Gran Poder church (definitely worth a visit) and there is a bar/restaurant called Ricardo further up on the left. No menu at the bar but you can see what’s on offer in the display cabinet. Menu changes daily - just point if you don’t speak Spanish. There is a small restaurant if you prefer a menu.

Also, I would miss the ‘new’ Metropol if you’re short on time. It was a source of great debate among Sevillanos and many of them still dislike it and call it ugly. It is a very strange piece of modern architecture plonked on the edge of the beautiful historic centre. A great museum underneath (Roman ruins unearthed) if you’re that way inclined.

The Cathedral is a MUST-see if you’re in Sevilla - say hi to ‘Santiago’ as you pass. You can go to the Hotel Dona Maria and take the lift to the top bar/cafe for a lovely view of the Giralda (cathedral tower). A lovely place for a Manzanilla (sherry) early evening. The Eme Hotel also has a rooftop bar with an awesome night-time view (more pricey).

My advice - stay a day or two if you’re making the effort to get to Sevilla. Too many things to do and see! Stay in the centre - old town - and you will be 20 mins walk from most places of interest.

If you like Roman ruins, take a day trip out to Italica (20 mins away) or the train to Cadiz.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions (ex resident of Sevilla)
Cheers, Grace

In 2014 I planned 3 days in Madrid to museum hop, city tour and was able to add a half day trip to Toledo. Had a fantastic time and was glad I built in tourist time. This April's camino I've built in time in Madrid to go to El Rastro ->the Sunday flea market. I have a full Monday and am looking into taking the AVE train to Seville for a full day. I thought of Grenada first but it appears there is no high speed train service Madrid-Grenada. What are the not to miss sights in Seville? (yes I've looked them up but what do you experienced Seville visitors suggest?)

Hi, GreatDane, beware of Mondays, because many tourist attractions are closed. This is not the case in Madrid or Barcelona, and I'm virtually certain that most stuff is also open in Sevilla on Mondays but I would check. I can't imagine going to Sevilla without visiting the Moorish Alcázar (many of the same architectural features of the Alhambra in Granada, but located in the middle of the city) or the Plaza de España, but there are lots of other great things to do in Sevilla, many of which include eating.

Anyone with even a drop of claustrophobia should avoid the Rastro. And if you go (and I'm not one to shriek about pickpockets all over Spain) be careful of your belongings, don't wear jewelry, etc. -- the Rastro probably has the highest concentration of scam artists and pickpockets in all of Spain.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I went ti visit the Prado after completing the Primitivo and was in sooooo much pain. My poor feet, after all that walking were being made to stand on marble floors. It was a myserable time. I recommend playing tourist before your Camino.

We found being tourists post Camino was a way to ease back into ordinary life, but sad if ones feet hurt. Pre-Camino we wanted to get going, especially as travel had already taken a few days from the start. I suppose that made us pre-Camino tourists too.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
A shorter trip, as someone mentioned, would be to Segovia, which is a fantastic place to visit!
In Sevilla, I'd see Italica, personally.
In Madrid, have you seen the Sofia Reina or the Prado?

You will miss a wonder if you skip Segovia.
It's fantastic!

In that case, I bow to your respected experience and I will settle on visiting Segovia. There is the added benefit that the train fron SdC to Madrid stops off at Segovia. Thank you Anniesantiago.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
A shorter trip, as someone mentioned, would be to Segovia, which is a fantastic place to visit!
In Sevilla, I'd see Italica, personally. In Madrid, have you seen the Sofia Reina or the Prado?
The logical thing would of course be to skip the El Rastro (or not go as far as Astorga) and hit Segovia on my way back to Madrid. Which if I end up doing 25-30km days rather than 20km days, I might consider because Roman Ruins are delicious! Which also means I need to go to Seville and Italica.

I was able to spend a ton of time in the Sofia Reina and want to go back because I love Modern Art. The Prado's collection (if I read it right) ends about where my tastes begin. Granted, the Prado would be fantastic but I'd probably do the Thyssen instead because I want to see the"Madrid Realists" exhibit. Plus the Museo ABC and the Conde Duque. How about favorite/fun places to eat in Segovia or Madrid? I was so sick with what ended up being pneumonia last trip that I have no idea where or what I ate in Madrid!

Most of the Prado is ubberly boring to me, but the Bosch works are still in my mind. Painted in the 1400 and 1500s and yet many contemporaries paint works in that sytle thinking they are innovating? Simply phenomenal. What a mind. And for those of you who are dog lovers, the de Goya paintings have no equal. And then the paintings of the former royals, telling so much history, all in colour, no words. I imagine the rest is as interesting to those in the know.

The logical thing would of course be to skip the El Rastro (or not go as far as Astorga) and hit Segovia on my way back to Madrid. Which if I end up doing 25-30km days rather than 20km days, I might consider because Roman Ruins are delicious! Which also means I need to go to Seville and Italica.

I was able to spend a ton of time in the Sofia Reina and want to go back because I love Modern Art. The Prado's collection (if I read it right) ends about where my tastes begin. Granted, the Prado would be fantastic but I'd probably do the Thyssen instead because I want to see the"Madrid Realists" exhibit. Plus the Museo ABC and the Conde Duque. How about favorite/fun places to eat in Segovia or Madrid? I was so sick with what ended up being pneumonia last trip that I have no idea where or what I ate in Madrid!

How funny how different we are. I loved the Prado and felt the Theissen was a waste of my time!

Food in Madrid... I love a Thai restaurant there. I'm sorry, I can't remember the name, though I may be able to find it on my blog. I walk up toward the Thiessen from Atocha station, and it's on the left side of the street. YUMMY food! I also went to an awesome East Indian place there.

In Segovia, we ate a lot of pork because they were having a contest for the best roast pork in the city.
I'm going back for that festival THIS year!
We also ate at Meson Don Jimeno.
Here are some photos.
It was SOOOOO good!
http://caminosantiago2.blogspot.com/2014/05/segovia-day-2.html

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Went go a Thai restaurant on that stretch, looking for something different. Close to the Ham Museum, and while it was a welcomed change it was 50-50 depending in the dish. But a welcomed treat.

The pension where I stayed recommended the Museo del Jamon. I google Japanese food and ended at the W, I think, lovely setting, ok food for the price, not if I had been charged the full price.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.