• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Please advise..

lizzy_w1

I have been reading posts for the last few months and have found the info vey useful, thanks all.
I will be setting off from St Jeran towards the end of the month. I am not fit and having read the very sad news of the Londoner who lost his life, have decided that even at this time I will take the road route.
Can any one help with info/contact details of the hotels in Valcarlos, as I will need to break the day . Thanks.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am seriously considering the Valcarlos route as well. I don't start my Camino until 4 May, but if it's still snowing, then at some point, it's got to thaw, which will mean mud & muck on top of unpredictable weather conditions.

The Brierley guide lists a few accomodations in Valcarlos:
a "very basic municipal hostel" that is "often closed"
Hotels: Maitena & Casa Marcelino.

The CSJ guide mentions both of these hotels (but not the hostel), as well as Casa Rural, another hotel.

All rates for the hotels is in the 30 Euro range.

There are also hotels available in Arneguy, if you can't make it to Valcarlos.

dg

I would suggest the VDLP I walked it in early may last year and had no rain until a rainy afternoon in Galicia.Climate is much milder in the south (sevilla) where you start. Just a thought

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks for the replys - I think I will just have to trust that shelter wll be forthcoming, without the certainty of booking. The route could well be extreme mud, so I think gaiters have become a neccesity!
The VDLP sounds lovely Omar, and I have taken on board how busy the CF has become. But for this, my first time on the Camino, I am pulled to see and experience the things I have read about for years.
To be honest, I also feel nervous about surviving on a less well marked route as a solo traveller. Though already I am thinking that for my next Camino, I will have he confidence to spread my wings, if I survive this one! This Forum has been invaluable as well as entertaining, in helping me plan, thank you all.
I may meet up with you along the way Wolverine, as my pace will be slow. I look forward to the 28th April and departure.
With some trepidation and much excitement, Liz.

Last year, 28 April 2006, I set off from SJPP along the Route Napoleon towards Roncesvalles. It was cloudy and windy, but dry.

I suggest that you make your decision on whether to take the road route or Route Napoleon only when you are already in SJPP. The locals will tell you which route to take best.

Mark

Hhhmmmm, I am thinking that maybe I am starting to overplan as a reaction to nerves as the time approaches. I will wait and see how things are and will be advised, though the road route is probably my chosen path due to fitness - or lack of!
Liz

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks Sil, unfortunately I have been unable to send my reply to you, as the computer says 'no'. If I do get a response and stay there I will let you know - the Casa looks lovely and the road route is the one for me.
Learning all the way, Liz.

...SJPP along the Route Napoleon towards Roncesvalles...make your decision...when you are already in SJPP

Mark:

a most sensible/responsible advise.

Thanks for sharing.

Buen Camino :arrow:

xm 8)

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.