• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Please, anyone completed Camino Del Norte in November?

gregdedman

Hi there,

I posted a fair while ago looking for advice from anyone who has completed the North route in or around November, but have had only one fellow pilgrim who needs help too, reply.
So first may I apologise for posting again, but the pull to the Camino is now even stronger and the lack of information out there continues to heighten my interest! :)

I have started to devote day after day to finding a pdf document (in English) or other information about walking this route.
My real problem is the month.
November is when I must go, and im all for camping if I need to.
My wish is to walk quietly, without the large expensive hostels.

My basic questions are, have you walked this route in November?
Are there places to stay that are not just large youth hostels?
Is the weather just too cold for camping?
Can I walk this camino, in November with no money in my pocket?

Please, any information whatsoever will help me on my way.
There were 78 pilgrims who walked this route in November 2009, are you one of them?! :)

Kind regards
Greg Dedman, 2nd time pilgrim.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Greg,

I have not walked in November, but I would assume that the albergues will probably all be closed then, although I could imagine some hostals with double/single rooms open then. If you want to take a tent along, then accommodation should not be a problem, as you can pitch a tent anywhere. It might get a bit cold in November though???

I am planning to walk in August next year, which will be the exact opposite of when you want to go... loads of holiday makers and hot weather.

Sabine

well, brother, if you wish to walk any part of the Camino with NO MONEY in your pocket, you should not have worries of anything, weather, homes, fire, food....it sounds like you wish to walk a "faith walk"?..correct me if im wrong. you want the hospitality of the locals to feed and house and help you along the way? i have met peregrinos as yourself, but i am not one. True, im poor, but i always bring enuf money to stay in hostels, or coffee for camp, food from stores etc.....i always give at all alberques that offer free beds.....to walk with no money, in summer, winter, fall, spring...should be no worry for you...buen camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Many albergues in Spain close at the end of October. There just is not enough business for them in the winter even on the most popular routes. You can check http://www.mundicamino.com/ or http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/los ... del-norte/ for the Camino del Norte, and look at each albergue along the way. Many list the months that they will be open, but beware of the accuracy of the information. Many on the Camino Frances that are listed as "open all year" are NOT. I suspect the same holds for the Camino del Norte. You could call them now, or call several days ahead once you are on the route.

What's the verdict? I"m planning to do the same thing this October-November and I have a lot of the same questions. Did you end up going and how was it?

Hi there,

I posted a fair while ago looking for advice from anyone who has completed the North route in or around November, but have had only one fellow pilgrim who needs help too, reply.
So first may I apologise for posting again, but the pull to the Camino is now even stronger and the lack of information out there continues to heighten my interest! :)

I have started to devote day after day to finding a pdf document (in English) or other information about walking this route.
My real problem is the month.
November is when I must go, and im all for camping if I need to.
My wish is to walk quietly, without the large expensive hostels.

My basic questions are, have you walked this route in November?
Are there places to stay that are not just large youth hostels?
Is the weather just too cold for camping?
Can I walk this camino, in November with no money in my pocket?

Please, any information whatsoever will help me on my way.
There were 78 pilgrims who walked this route in November 2009, are you one of them?! :)

Kind regards
Greg Dedman, 2nd time pilgrim.
I might have been the one pilgrim who replied, I don't know...this might be info already shared.
I walked the Norte with five of my six children and we finished November 24th.
My youngest was 9. We did sleep outside a lot though. To my knowledge there was room along the way sometimes they were full.
I never kept track of the weather but my blog might share some insight...We did it, thats about all I can say inregards to specifics.
shefollowsshells.blogspot.com was my blog.
Norte specific for November will be found in November 2016

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
What's the verdict? I"m planning to do the same thing this October-November and I have a lot of the same questions. Did you end up going and how was it?

Hi Camelia, I started in Irun on 8 Oct 2016 and ended in Santiago on 20 Nov. I was walking parallel with Neve in the post above. The places I stayed:
Irun Albergue Capitan Tximista (E19)
Pasajes de San Juan Albergue de Peregrinos (E10) (donativo)
San Sebastian A Room In The City (E18)
Zarautz Albergue Gran Camping (E5)
Deba Albergue de Peregrinos (E5)
Markina Albergue Pitis (E12)
Gernika Youth Hostel (E18)
Zamudio Hotel Artea-Errota (E21)
Portugalete Albergue Bide Ona (E12)
Castro Urdiales Pension La Mar (E35) [but the albergue was open E5]
Castro Urdiales Pension La Mar (E35) [a rest day]
Laredo Albergue Casa Trinidad (E10)
Guemes La Cabana del Abuelo Peuto (E20) (donativo)
Santa Cruz Albergue Nimon (E15)
Santillana del Mar Hospidaje Santillana
Cobreces Posada Las Mananitas (E24)
Comillas Abba Golf Apt (a 3-bedroom apartment for 14 euros each)
San Vicente Apt Rincon del Puerto (a 2-bedroom apartment for 22 euros each)
Unquera Hotel Canal (a triple room for 16.50 euros each)
Llanes Youth Hostel (E10)
Villahormes Albergue Punta Pestana (E10)
San Esteban Albergue de Peregrinos (E6)
Colunga Hotel Las Vegas (a triple room for 17 euros each)
Villaviciosa Albergue Congreso (E12)
Cabuenes Albergue Camping Deva (E6)
Aviles Albergue de Peregrinos (E6)
Muros Apartment La Flor (a 2-bedroom apartment for 22 euros each)
Soto de Luina Albergue de Peregrinos (E5)
Cadavedo Albergue Covi y Peter (E10)
Luarca Albergue Villa de Luarca (E11)
Luarca Albergue Villa de Luarca (E11)
Navia Pension Cantabrico (a triple room for 15 euros each)
Tol Albergue de Peregrinos (E5)
Ribadeo Albergue de Peregrinos (E5)
San Xusto Albergue de Peregrinos (E5)
Mondonedo Hostal Padornelo (E24)
Gontan Albergue de Peregrinos (E6)
Vilalba Albergue de Peregrinos (E6)
Baamonde Albergue de Peregrinos (E6)
Miraz Albergue O'Abrigo (E10)
Sobrado Albergue de Peregrinos (E6)
Boimorto Albergue de Peregrinos (E6)
Pedrouzo Albergue Cruceiro (E10)

Jill

Hi Greg,

I have not walked in November, but I would assume that the albergues will probably all be closed then, although I could imagine some hostals with double/single rooms open then. If you want to take a tent along, then accommodation should not be a problem, as you can pitch a tent anywhere. It might get a bit cold in November though???

I am planning to walk in August next year, which will be the exact opposite of when you want to go... loads of holiday makers and hot weather.

Sabine
I' m not convinced you can pitch a tent " anywhere"...
just my humble opinion...

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, ive been training for my CDN in two weeks time and thought i'd get some UK coastline under my belt (Scarborough to Robin hoods Bay). I have to say i was just not prepared for the amount for...
hello We plan to walk from Irún to San Sebastián first day in Mid May and looking for feedback on how long it takes. Think we are up to it but will be our first day. Thanks for your thoughts and...
Please, am I mad to contemplate the following combo: Norte: Biarritz-Bayonne-Irun-Santander (via Bayonne to get my legs going) Santander - train to Leon San Salvador - Leon to Oviedo Primitivo -...
I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
What is the most beautiful seven day section on the Camino del Norte? I have a good friend who cannot come with me for the entire walk. She is only available for a week. I start from Irun. She...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.