• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Please cast a critical eye over my kit list (for a female travelling in August)

omi1

Time of past OR future Camino
Leon to SDC (2014)
Porto to SDC (2015)
Astorga to SDC(2017)
SJPdeP toBurgos (Oct 2018)
I set off in a week, and this is what I am planning to take at the moment. If you see any glaringly obvious omissions, or places to shave off weight, I'd like to receive your constructive criticism.

Backpack: Lowe Alpine Women’s Airzone Pro 33/40 Litres (bit heavy at 1.5kg, but it was only one that fitted my very short back during my trawl of 5 outdoor shops)

Sleeping bag 2 season, down filled (weighs 700g)

Convertible trousers x 1 pair

Hiking trousers x 1 pair (black, unfortunately, but they are what I have, so I hope to make do)

Running capris x 1 pair (black again… where I live the sun is not seen so often)

Lightweight knee length dress (really a beach cover, but it will be my nightdress and afternoon lounging dress)

Merino lightweight short sleeve t-shirts x 2.

Sleeveless sports top

Fleece hoodie

Waterproof jacket

Underwear (3 underpants, 2 sports bras)

Socks (3 liners, 3 outers)

Hiking shoes (Keen brand: very lightweight, not waterproof)

Teva sandals (can’t stand flip-flops, which hurt my toes and crocs never fit my very narrow feet)

Sun hat

Silk scarf (as a multipurpose head and neck scarf)

Sarong (may leave this at home, as I think it may be overkill)

Toiletry bag containing:

Toothbrush and toothpaste

Dove soap

shampoo

razor

Deodorant

Sunblock (about a dozen individual sachets of ultrasun to get me started, but I may swap this for a bottle of reimann p20)

First aid kit:

Compeed, elastoplast, antiseptic cream, nail scissors, tweezers, needle and thread, painkillers, anti-diarrhoea pills, asthma inhaler and my prescription meds.

Clothes line (travel type which doesn’t require pegs)

Hiking towel

Tissues

Lightweight small cross body bag containing:

Passport, tickets, credit cards, money

Pen and small notebook

Telephone -- this will serve as camera, guidebook (using kindle app), music player etc.

Phone charger (also has solar powered unit, which I hope to attach to my backpack in a clear map holder)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Your credencial??
Personally I only take 2 pairs of trousers, one pair - on one pair in pack, and use the dress like you are planning to. Sarong? I don't have one, but I did take a thin long sleeve shirt, not all short sleeves, so I could have some protection from the sun. The important thing is to be happy with the weight and as you have already found with the pack itself.
Buen Camino

Omi1
Looks very good. What you don't indicate is the size of your toiletries...air travel size for everything works well. 3oz bottles are easily replaced along the way. As far as money...keep cash below 200euros, unless you are looking to buy a large item along the Way...best to wait for Santiago. ATMs abound. You didn't mention TP. Always good to smash and carry half a roll just in case. Some albergues run out in the early morning as there are peregrinos that take them. A large trash bag to cover your pack in foul weather...you didn't mention a pack cover. You already have a sun dress...drop the sarong.
Buen Camino,

Arn

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks Tia. I will pick up my credencial in Spain. I was wondering about a long sleeve top, so may swap one of my short sleeves for a long sleeve one.

Thanks Arn,
Good point about tp. Supermarkets here sometimes sell a "travel roll" without the tube. I have taken these to India in the past, and they made me very popular with my travelling companions! My pack has a rain cover.

I set off in a week, and this is what I am planning to take at the moment. If you see any glaringly obvious omissions, or places to shave off weight, I'd like to receive your constructive criticism.

Backpack: Lowe Alpine Women’s Airzone Pro 33/40 Litres (bit heavy at 1.5kg, but it was only one that fitted my very short back during my trawl of 5 outdoor shops)

Hiking trousers x 1 pair (black, unfortunately, but they are what I have, so I hope to make do)

Running capris x 1 pair (black again… where I live the sun is not seen so often)

Lightweight knee length dress (really a beach cover, but it will be my nightdress and afternoon lounging dress)

Sleeveless sports top

Fleece hoodie

Waterproof jacket

Teva sandals (can’t stand flip-flops, which hurt my toes and crocs never fit my very narrow feet)

Sun hat

Toiletry bag containing:

Dove soap

shampoo

razor

Deodorant

Sunblock (about a dozen individual sachets of ultrasun to get me started, but I may swap this for a bottle of reimann p20)

First aid kit:

Compeed, elastoplast, antiseptic cream, nail scissors, tweezers, needle and thread, painkillers, anti-diarrhoea pills, asthma inhaler and my prescription meds.

Hiking towel

Tissues

Pen and small notebook

Telephone -- this will serve as camera, guidebook (using kindle app), music player etc.

Phone charger (also has solar powered unit, which I hope to attach to my backpack in a clear map holder)
Hi, no need for the clothesline. Only need capris for walking. I would take the sarong and leave the dress. Sarong and top is great for sleeping. Suggest lighter sleeping bag. Crocs cleo sandals instead of Tevas
You can wear them in the showers and forwalking around, very comfortable.
Only need 1 merinotop. Perhaps a long sleeve lght shirt. I prefer to walk in this to protect from sunburn.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi everyone :)

I'm planning to set off within the next few weeks also, was really helpful to see your list! - was just wondering, there are a few things that I'd really appreciate any feedback on..

Firstly, at this time of year, is a fleece really needed? Also, I wasn't planning on taking a sleeping bag... just a silk liner. And, are dri-fit type material for tops okay (instead of merino)? Or, is merino better? I also wasn't planning on bringing any long pants.. just 2 pairs of dri-fit material shorts... Or, is better to have long pants also..? I'm just thinking it will likely be so hot?!

Some other things I'm undecided about (taking) that I noticed you'd left off are:
washing powder/liquid (for clothes)
swiss army knife
drink bottle(s)
waterproof plastic sleeve thing- for passport etc (necessary for when showering?) - after reading some other threads..!
towel, or do ppl not generally bring towels..? or if you do, what size? - i've noticed the travel ones have S, M, L etc...

Thank you in advance!

Hey there, I walked through July and August last year, and the only time I needed a fleece was in O'Cebriero. It was amazingly warm, and I am an Aussie accustomed to heat. I took a liner, no sleeping bag and didn't regret that decision ever. If you get cool most Alburgues have blankets. I travelled via Bali and one of my favourite additions was my sarong, it was a base to sleep on, under, and also a wrap around after the shower. I took zippered pants, and maybe wore them as pants a couple of times. You don't need the clothes line, there are plenty of places to hang your clothes, pegs might be useful. I took one set of clothes to be wearing and one to have clean. I did have too many bits and pieces and ended up using the postal system to on send to Santiago. You need it just in case, but my wet weather jacket was never used.. I had walking boots, Tiva's and thongs (Aussie version - flip flops!). I never used my Tiva's but some people walked in theirs, so your call there. I had a range of socks, but it was so hot my boots caused a heat rash anyway, only near Pamplona when it was high 30's and even 40 degrees!! Please, please have a hat..so many amazing Europeans thought the heat was great for a tan - but ended up with heatstroke! You will love it, and the beauty of the Camino (one of many), you can shed along the way, or buy what you need. It's Spain, not a third world country..

Hi Lize and Suzenripley,

Thank you so much for your suggestions - okay, so a sarong def seems like a good item to prioritize! Thanks Lize for the suggestion about covering the body for a 'cooler' experience - yeah, that does make sense. Yes, Suzenripley - I'm reluctant to put in a fleece and wet weather jacket (am currently in South of France and it's boiling here!) ... but as you say, probably necessary... Yeah footwear is something I've been umm-ing/ahhing about too (I know thongs, am from NZ) ;) Thinking I'm going to go with trainers (Asics) and some (Keen) sandals - and use them both for walking ... Although, haven't got these yet either so if people have other suggestions, am open to all! :p Decided against boots as it just seems like feet would overheat..plus I haven't left any time to wear them in, should I purchase some now... And yes, ok hat a must..! Great reminder too that we will still be vaguely in the middle of civilization :)

Thanks so much for your advice!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Tp. Why not just carry a packet of paper tissues. You can use them for padding on blisters as well. You didn't mention shorts.

A clothesline is not very heavy nor does it take up much room in your pack. I know i was glad i had one with me a few times.

Last edited:

Sleeveless sports top

Fleece hoodie

Waterproof jacket

Sun hat

Toiletry bag containing:

Dove soap

shampoo

razor

Deodorant

First aid kit:

Hiking towel

Tissues

Pen and small notebook

Hi There,
I walked by myself last year from mid August to mid September. I 'll tell you what worked for me. I took a pair of trousers that were torn apart the second day, so I di my 900 kms with only one pair of trekking bermudas, it worked fine. I took two The north Face t shirts and 1 long sleeve columbia shirt which I wore very often. I took a pair of cotton leggins that were used as pjs, I laso two 3 sets of underwear, but I could have used a fourth, I took my bikini which I wore once I didn't have clean underwear. I had a waterproof set of jacket and pants that also worked as windbreakers, extremely useful. In addition of the footwear you are mentioning, y took my flipflops for the shower. And I took a pillow case that gave me comfort every night. Re the medicines, you won't need them, there are plenty of drugstores along the camino but you'll need sunblock and bug repellent. I also took my ipod. I carried 8.5 kg and I wore everything except for the woollen scarf, hat and gloves even though some days we started walking with 6 °C. If you have any more questions feel free to contact me. Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A clothesline was actually something that I used quite often after my daily wash of socks, underwear, shirt and shorts. Really helpful when there was nothing else available.
This is good to see, I was planning on bringing one but started to doubt that I'd actually need it. I also have one of the braided clothesline with bunjee hooks on the ends.

Hi everyone :)

I'm planning to set off within the next few weeks also, was really helpful to see your list! - was just wondering, there are a few things that I'd really appreciate any feedback on..

Firstly, at this time of year, is a fleece really needed? Also, I wasn't planning on taking a sleeping bag... just a silk liner. And, are dri-fit type material for tops okay (instead of merino)? Or, is merino better? I also wasn't planning on bringing any long pants.. just 2 pairs of dri-fit material shorts... Or, is better to have long pants also..? I'm just thinking it will likely be so hot?!

Some other things I'm undecided about (taking) that I noticed you'd left off are:
washing powder/liquid (for clothes)
swiss army knife
drink bottle(s)
waterproof plastic sleeve thing- for passport etc (necessary for when showering?) - after reading some other threads..!
towel, or do ppl not generally bring towels..? or if you do, what size? - i've noticed the travel ones have S, M, L etc...

Thank you in advance!

Hi Caminonewbie,
I cant bring a knife as I am taking my pack as hand luggage on the plane. Good idea about the sleeve thing for valuables. I can't stand polyester dri-fit t-shirts, cos I find they stink really badly with moderate activity (ie sweating!), and if I am hand washing, the smell may not wash out. Light merino is not really warm. I got cheap thin merino in Decathlon (a European sports store: found in several larger cities on the Camino). From what I gather, we do need to bring a towel. Mine is just big enough to wrap round me and is a quick-dry material.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks for all the really helpful replies. These forums are the best! I think I will bring a long sleeve blouse, since several people suggest it, and may swap one of my trousers for shorts.

You may not need three outer socks and three liners. two of each is probably enough. Or, you could do three liners, since they're thin.
powdered soap or liquid? powder is probably lighter. A little bar of soap like you might get at a hotel could also work well--easy to scrub with.
When in doubt between two things, consider weighing them.

Remember that sometimes once you've packed something "just in case," you may continue to have that mindset. ("I can't get rid of it, I might need it, even though I haven't used it yet.") In general, I think it's easier to pack more minimally and make do with what you have--acquiring little things here and there as necessary--than it is to bring unneeded items and have the willingness to get rid of them.

Fleece jackets for example. It sounds like some folks are saying they were only necessary at high elevation like O'Cebreiro. Maybe it's not carrying a space-consuming jacket in the rucksack for three weeks just so you can use it then. Maybe just get one a little before you reach O'Cebreiro. Some albergues have leave behind/take boxes where pilgrims leave unwanted items for others to have. Maybe you'll make friends with another peregrino who has an extra jacket you could wear for a day or two. Maybe it's better to be a little chilly in the first hour of walking than to make your shoulders a little sore from carrying the weight.

As much as possible, be sure to pack things you wouldn't mind getting rid of if necessary. When I walked previously, i brought some rain paints and a jacket my friend loaned me. Because i had to return them to him, i had to keep them, despite the fact that by the time July and the Meseta rolled around it was too hot and dry to need them, but i had to keep carrying them.

Ultreya!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Sleeveless sports top

Fleece hoodie

Waterproof jacket

Sun hat

Toiletry bag containing:

Dove soap

shampoo

razor

Deodorant

First aid kit:

Hiking towel

Tissues

Pen and small notebook

Take light coloured clothing, get rid of the black stuff.But not too white as it will get very dirty. Whatever, don't take black headgear, you'll cook!

De colores

Bogong

I would add to your list safety pins so you can pin your socks together to drape them over your washing line and a large plastic bin liner to line your rucksack if it rains as water will get in even with a rucksack cover,

Thanks for those suggestions. I have added some safety pins to my kit. Ear plugs have also been added! I will look out for alternative lighter coloured trousers, but dont have much time before I leave, so I may end up having to try and make do, going shopping in spain if necessary.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Sleeveless sports top

Fleece hoodie

Waterproof jacket

Sun hat

Toiletry bag containing:

Dove soap

shampoo

razor

Deodorant

First aid kit:

Hiking towel

Tissues

Pen and small notebook

Hi again, let heck item by item. I think that a long sleeve shirt with uv protection will be more useful than the sleeveless top. I took a pair of socks just to go to bed if needed. I didn't take the sarong or the silk scarf, well, I took the scarf but didn't wear it. The clothesline is useless, you wont't find where to hang it,but you'll need pegs, those are really useful, even to recognize your clothes when you hang them among hundreds of items. You'll be fine, don't worry you have a very appropriate list. Enjoy yourself and buen camino! if you ever need advice or just company don't hesitate to write: enriquetasanz@gmail.com

A clothesline is not very heavy nor does it take up much room in your pack. I know i was glad i had one with me a few times.

I know some people love them. I brought one and it kept getting tangled up, it was never the right length, and I ended up wanting to use it to strangle the person who recommended it to me.

If you have convertible trousers, you don't need these. In fact, I didn't even bring long pants; just wore shorts every day (and, if cold in the morning, thin merino wool long underwear under them)

Just one short sleeve t-shirt if you have the sleeveless sports top, too.

Sleeveless sports top

Fleece hoodie
That's gonna take up a lot of space in your pack and probably rarely used. A thin fleece jacket or - better yet, in my opinion - a down jacket that packs down really small.
Waterproof jacket

Sun hat

Yeah, leave it at home.

I figured out I didn't need that many clothes after I lost a lot of them (left on lines) and found out I was fine without them. In fact, I ended up with only one tee shirt and got another one in an Albergue Lost and Found box and I was good to go. For me, the challenge weight-wise is in all the OTHER stuff I want to carry besides clothes. I like gadgets and farmacia products and they were what made my pack heavier than I would like.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.