• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Please clarify compostela

Nanc

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (Sept 2016)
SDC/ Finesterre/ Muxia (2016)
I've been reading up on the SdC to muxia/ Finesterre Camino ( Lucky me I've got time!)
But I'm confused after reading the threads.
Some posts have said you only get a compostela if you do the loop- Santiago to Muxia or Finesterre to Santiago.
Since it appears the return to Santiago isn't marked well, it doesn't make much since.
Others have talked about getting a Muxia AND Finesterre compostela.
Can you clarify?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I try ;-) Both Muxia and Finisterre offer certificates for pilgrims that walk there. These are modern inventions, beautifully designed but with no historic background whatsoever and they are not Compostelas.

The Compostela is explained here: https://oficinadelperegrino.com/en/pilgrimage/the-compostela/
In short, it is a document issued by the cathedral that confirms that you have done the pilgrimage to the tomb of St. James for religious/pious reasons and have walked at least the last 100km or biked at least the last 200km to the cathedral. The crucial point here is to/towards the cathedral/tomb of St.James.

Does that help? Buen Camino, SY

Nanc the confusion arises, I think, from the mis-use of the word Compostela. There is only one Compostela, issued by the Pilgrims Office in Santiago to those applying and qualifying.

The municipalities of Fisterra and Muxia each issues a document / certificate, a Fisterrana and a Muxiana (or something like that) as a souvenir for those who can demonstrate that they have walked from Santiago to those happy little towns. Each most easily obtained from the respective municipal Albergues on presentation of a suitably stamped credencial and an € or two.

Those who walk from Santiago to Fisterra, Muxia and back to Santiago can apply for a Compostella at the Pilgrims Office as they will have walked in excess of the minimum qualifying distance to Santiago.

Incidentally although not very well way-marked the return route is reasonably easily navigated and indeed after Hospital is simply a reflex of the outward journey - just read your guidebook backwards and reverse the lefts and rights ;)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It is possible to walk Santiago - Muxia - Fisterra - Santiago and meet the kilometer requirements (100 km) to obtain a Compostela. The Compostela is awarded by the Catholic church via the pilgrim office. There is religious significance to the Compostela because of the association with visiting the (alleged) tomb of Saint James under the auspices of a pilgrimage.

If you walk from Santiago to Fisterra the town of Fisterra will award a Fisterrana. The town of Muxia awards a Muxiana. These are not to be considered as having the same religious significance as the Compostela. Its basically a tourism gimmick.

I've been reading up on the SdC to muxia/ Finesterre Camino ( Lucky me I've got time!)
But I'm confused after reading the threads.
Some posts have said you only get a compostela if you do the loop- Santiago to Muxia or Finesterre to Santiago.
Since it appears the return to Santiago isn't marked well, it doesn't make much since.
Others have talked about getting a Muxia AND Finesterre compostela.
Can you clarify?
If you walk to Fisterra you can obtain Fisterrana and Muxiana if you walk to Muxia.
Compostela is document that confirms your pilgrimage to SdC as already explained by SYates. If you walk Fisterra-Muxia-SdC or Muxia-Fisterra-Sdc the required 100km are met.

EDIT: Wow, I was too late :D

The Compostella is only for arrival in Santiago, no matter the direction, and as long as you have walked the last 100km (or biked, or rode in by horse back with their own distances).

Since you've have arrived from the CF, what you do after is of no consequence.

You could also earn the Compostella if you walked in from Fisterra and/or Muxia as long as you did both to get to 100km by foot. So in theory you could bus to Fisterra, for ex., walk to Muxia and then head back to Santiago. No loop needed.

If you want to add to your collection of walking certificates you can add: the certificate of distance (from the pilgrim office), the Fisterrana for arriving by foot to Fisterra (issued in the muni albergue in Fisterra) and lastly the Muxiana (issued by the Muxia city hall and a number of albergues, including Bella Muxia. For the Fisterrana amd Muxiana you need to have walked from Santiago.

To get the Fisterrana or Muxiana you can keep using your credencial or use the map/info flyer issued by the tourism office which includes a few squares for the stamps.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I recall that when I worked in the Pilgrim Office, a few years ago, the Compostela was Not awarded for walking TO Finisterre regardless of the 100km walked. The explanation was that the Compostela was awarded for walking TO the "Saints Relics" from a point 100km distant.
Walking to Finisterre is walking away from SdC and thus not qualified.

I just point this out as a data point of the requirement reading of a few years back.
I am very sure that it is different now as it seems to be a moving requirement from time to time. The people in the Pilgrim Office have changed and the leadership of the Office has greatly changed.

I recall that when I worked in the Pilgrim Office, a few years ago, the Compostela was Not awarded on the Finterra ..regardless of the 100km walked. The explanation was that the Compostela was awarded for walking to the "Saints Relics" from a point 100km distant.
Walking to Fisterra is walking away from SdC and thus not qualified.
Exactly as @Anemone del Camino wrote, nobody wrote that ;)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
In Sahagun pilgrims can get a certificate that attests that they have passed "the Leonist lands of Sahagun" to the geographic center of the Camino Frances and expresses the desire that they continue with good wanderings to the house of St. James.

The certificate is given at the Santuario de la Virgen Peregrina (also known as la Iglesia Senora La Peregrina,) a 15th century convent abandoned in 1835. This century has seen restoration and renovation to turn the building into a museum and exhibition hall. Like most museums it is closed on Mondays. It also observes the afternoon siesta and so is closed for a few hours in the afternoon. There may be a charge of a few euros for the certificate.

A map with the sanctuary marked at the center cross-hairs can be seen here:
https://mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?ll=42.367898,-5.032425&z=16&t=h

Edit: Link no longer works but the GPS coordinates are 42.367898,-5.032425

Last edited:
Awe missed it. Hopefully someone collecting fun points will benefit
Nanc

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Nothing has changed. A compostela will be awarded to pilgrims who START in Finisterre and walk to Muxia then walk to Santiago - or START in Muxia walk to Finisterre and then walk to Santiago.
I started in Santiago and walked to Muxía then Fisterra and onwards to Santiago and the Office gave me a Compostela and Certificate of Distance for the whole distance. So I am not sure about your emphasis on the START.

I started in Santiago and walked to Muxía then Fisterra and onwards to Santiago and the Office gave me a Compostela and Certificate of Distance for the whole distance. So I am not sure about your emphasis on the START.

I understand how confusing this appears!
The route which the pilgrims office accepts to award the Compostela is Finisterre - Muxia - Santiago or Muxia - Finisterre - Santiago. You would have been awarded the Compostela because part of your journey started in Muxia then to Finisterre then to Santiago.
The Distance Certificate is just that and many pilgrims walk composite routes and have the mileage entered. To receive the Compostela you have to start at least 100kms from Santiago and walk to the city.

I hope this helps

John

Simple, you came back to Santiago: Muxia- Fisterra- Santiago = more thN 100km, he ce the Compostela. So you starte elsewhere than Santiago ( Muxia) and ended is Santiago. Had you not come back to Santiago, you would not have received. Compostela.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Credentials/Sellos/Bus Pilgrims? I am currently the hospitalero in Salamanca at the Casa De Calera. During my short stay I have had a line of 40 people with bandbags not backpacks they had Pilgrim´s credentials and wanted a stamp(sello). My job is not to judge but aid Pilgrims. This smelled bad but I stamped their books and they were gone. Today I had American´s that wanted their US Passport stamped. I suggested this would not be legal for them or me. I had awoman with a credential full of stamps from varios Caminos and years. I asked and she said she was beginning tomorrow, I stamped her book. My wish is to not waterdown the importance of the pilgrimage it is individual and everyone will celebrate life in their own way. Different situations different choices. Any ideas?...... Ultreya...... Willy/Utah/USA

Uh! A difficult can of worms you are presenting here. Some thoughts:

There are Camino Clubs (no idea about the right term) in Spain who do the Camino one day a week or so. They typically walk with no luggage. They get bused to the starting point of the stage, walk it, get a stamp, bus back home. Next week(end) they do the next stage. There are often people that don't have the time to do more than one Saturday due to family commitments. The try to complete their Camino over many weeks, months or even years one Saturday/holiday at a time.

I certainly wouldn't stamp any national passport, as you rightly said that might get you and them into trouble as national passports are typically the property of a country and not of the bearer.

As for the woman with many stamps of many Caminos - she just has in one doc what I do have in many ;-)

Buen Camino, SY

There are Camino Clubs (no idea about the right term) in Spain who do the Camino one day a week or so. They typically walk with no luggage. They get bused to the starting point of the stage, walk it, get a stamp, bus back home. Next week(end) they do the next stage. There are often people that don't have the time to do more than one Saturday due to family commitments.
I'm trying to plan my walk of California's mission trail and may do something very similar, using a train, except for the 2 legs closest to my home (where I can talk relatives into either dropping me off or picking me up)...of course, the hard part will be finding someone to stamp my credential o_O, not having anyone wonder if I qualify (advantage to there being no completion certificate for this pilgrimage...yet)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Credentials/Sellos/Bus Pilgrims? ... My wish is to not waterdown the importance of the pilgrimage it is individual and everyone will celebrate life in their own way. Different situations different choices. Any ideas?...... Ultreya...... Willy/Utah/USA
I consider it like notarizing a document where I'm not vouching that what is in the document is true just that I'm witnessing someone signing the document who is claiming that what is in it is true. Stamping a sello into a credential is certifying that that piece of paper was at a certain place on the specified date. The holder then either makes a claim in Santiago or simply keeps the credential as a souvenir.

I'm trying to plan my walk of California's mission trail and may do something very similar, using a train, except for the 2 legs closest to my home (where I can talk relatives into either dropping me off or picking me up)...of course, the hard part will be finding someone to stamp my credential o_O, not having anyone wonder if I qualify (advantage to there being no completion certificate for this pilgrimage...yet)
The US Postal service will give you a stamp... Willy

The US Postal service will give you a stamp... Willy
I see me now, asking the friendly postal workers:eek:I'm going to try at the missions first

my funniest memory of asking for a sello on the Camino was in O Coruna. Having learned by this point that if all else failed, ask in the tourist office, I stopped in, picked up some brochures and chatted a while, then asked as politely as I could with expectant pilgrim eyes for a stamp. but I'd been talking a while, and was tired (and the sun was in my eyes and a pebble in my shoe). I substituted "a" for "un". She shook her head sadly and said "only for staff.":oops:
once I realized what I had said, I laughed and restated my question. We were both laughing as I walked out the door.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, At this stage looks like we are going to finish in SdC on Friday, our flight home is only Monday night. The weather forecast doesnt look to be promising - showers over the whole weekend...
Hi all We are walking the reverse Camino from Muxia to Santiago via Fisterra. Any tips or information to help us on our way?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back