• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Please Don’t Disappoint Your Walking Buddy

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
I’m sure I’m not alone in this. As I know many Forum members have regular ‘buddies’ they like to walk the Camino with. Maybe a friend, a relative, a spouse.

Walking the Camino is such a unique and special experience, it takes a very special friend to be your walking buddy. Someone who will put up with your injuries, your mood swings, your good days and bad days.

When you find such a walking buddy, it’s a very special relationship isn’t it?

I’m lucky in that way.

But what if the relationship seems a bit strained? Would you still want to walk with them? :oops:

A very dear friend of mine, of 20 years in fact, has walked all three of my Caminos with me.
Sure, we've had our ups and downs, but I wouldn’t dream of walking without him.

Khun (Mr) Thaw is his name. He’s Thai.
We’ve been inseparable for years now. NO! It’s not that kind of relationship. I’m happily married!

But we do a lot of stuff together. Particularly involving travel. I travel a lot on Business and Thaw often comes with me to help out. We are just back from 10 days in the Philippines, with our team in Davao City, and then 10 days in Bangkok catching up with old clients. It’s great travelling with a buddy like Thaw.

But I started to see a few cracks appearing in our normally laid back and easy relationship.
And it got me worried about our next planned Camino. The VdlP in 2020.

I know I promised to help him out with some new gear before our next walk, (and I haven't yet) but it’s not that. It’s something deeper, and now I’m started to get worried that all will not be Roses on our next walk.

It started in the Philippines. We had to visit one of our team members in Hospital, and we had to wear protective masks. I could see Thaw was not impressed and was concerned about contracting some kind of strange tropical illness. How dumb. He’s Thai and brought up in the tropics.

And he never really seemed to get into the Social aspect of visiting our team there. Just sitting next to me at our desks in the office and not really engaging at all. Quite disappointing really. A few people remarked on it. Maybe because he insisted on wearing his mask everywhere like he was walking through some kind of alien landscape! :rolleyes:

It didn’t get much better in Thailand. His home country for goodness sake! But I think maybe it was the increased level of pollution we experienced this time. And Yes, the mask was in place all the time, yet again.

Now we are back in Australia, have overcome all the travel and jet lag and are settling back into the routine.

We were at the Gym together the other day, when it struck me like a lightning bolt!
So that’s what’s bugging him!
I really didn’t see that coming. :eek:

You see since our last Camino I added to my injuries. With a torn Meniscus in my knee.
This has really stopped me exercising, and Yes, I know.
I should have eased back on the calories too, so as to compensate.
But I love food, and wine and Gin & Tonic.
So much so, that I have put on 10 kgs since our last Camino.

That’s why I’m trying to get back into training now.
Gently, and a strict diet too, so I don’t strain my knees with the extra weight I’m carrying.

Because as I said, our next Camino is the VdlP.
Much longer and more remote that the CF.
So, I know I need to lose lots of weight and get fitter if we are to stand a chance of finishing it.
And I will. I’m determined.

But then I saw it. At the Gym.
I was on the static bike going like crazy.
My over size ass drowning the saddle and my 'man boobs' jiggling as I cycled…
Not a pretty site. :(

And it was then I saw the disappointment in his eyes.
It was heart breaking.
He didn’t need to say anything.
It was written all over his face.
You aren’t going to make it ONE WEEK on the VdlP Robo. Probably crash out on Day 2………

Have you ever been in the position of knowing that it is You, that may jeopardise the dream of your best buddy?
It’s not a great feeling I can tell you.

But we’ll make it. We have to. I have to.
The diet is going well, and the training will ease up in effort in the coming weeks.
Heck we have 9 months of preparation.

I won’t let you down Thaw.

I’ll post again in a few months to let you know how the training is going.
And if my buddy is still coming with me….

I think what I’ve realised is this.
If you are going to walk with a friend, it creates an added responsibility. Far greater.
Have you found that? Did it create an extra strain? How did you cope?

Oh, if you are wondering what Thaw means in Thai. It means Bean. Yea I know, a bit weird.

BEFORE you pour your heart out..................

You can read about our first Camino and first falling out here: You really need to! ;););)
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...mino-with-your-best-friend.38327/#post-376551

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm hoping to walk with Randy again next year on the VDLP.. we've chatted and understand that there'll be times that we walk solo.. maybe a week or so here n there.. this can be done just by one of us heading to the next village or stopping early.. if one of us gets the urge it's just a quick text message and within a day or two we'll catch one another up.. this way we get to experience two sides of a camino and there's a buddy nearby if need be.
Now I think about it. It does seem to be mainly Randy pushing for the space.. he suggested separate Caminos at different times in different countries. 🤔 Bless him.

I'm hoping to walk with Randy again next year on the VDLP.. we've chatted and understand that there'll be times that we walk solo.. maybe a week or so here n there.. this can be done just by one of us heading to the next village or stopping early.. if one of us gets the urge it's just a quick text message and within a day or two we'll catch one another up.. this way we get to experience two sides of a camino and there's a buddy nearby if need be.
Now I think about it. It does seem to be mainly Randy pushing for the space.. he suggested separate Caminos at different times in different countries. 🤔 Bless him.

Needs careful thought.
Though your relationship may be very different than ours.
Best you read the link ;)
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...mino-with-your-best-friend.38327/#post-376551

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'd say it's more similar then you'd think..
The lack of intelligent conversation..
me having to carry him constantly
Females preferring his looks to mine..

I wonder if our buddies are related?

Could be! How tall is Randy? :cool:
Stick him in your pack and close the lid!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Needs careful thought.
Though your relationship may be very different than ours.
Best you read the link ;)
I had not read that post, but something else you wrote in the last year rang a bell as soon as I saw this one. Well done, Robo and I have every confidence that you and Mr Thaw will be in great fettle for starting off your next camino together. DO make sure you get him some class of a poncho, though.

I’m sure I’m not alone in this. As I know many Forum members have regular ‘buddies’ they like to walk the Camino with. Maybe a friend, a relative, a spouse.

Walking the Camino is such a unique and special experience, it takes a very special friend to be your walking buddy. Someone who will put up with your injuries, your mood swings, your good days and bad days.

When you find such a walking buddy, it’s a very special relationship isn’t it?

I’m lucky in that way.

But what if the relationship seems a bit strained? Would you still want to walk with them? :oops:

A very dear friend of mine, of 20 years in fact, has walked all three of my Caminos with me.
Sure, we've had our ups and downs, but I wouldn’t dream of walking without him.

Khun (Mr) Thaw is his name. He’s Thai.
We’ve been inseparable for years now. NO! It’s not that kind of relationship. I’m happily married!

But we do a lot of stuff together. Particularly involving travel. I travel a lot on Business and Thaw often comes with me to help out. We are just back from 10 days in the Philippines, with our team in Davao City, and then 10 days in Bangkok catching up with old clients. It’s great travelling with a buddy like Thaw.

But I started to see a few cracks appearing in our normally laid back and easy relationship.
And it got me worried about our next planned Camino. The VdlP in 2020.

I know I promised to help him out with some new gear before our next walk, (and I haven't yet) but it’s not that. It’s something deeper, and now I’m started to get worried that all will not be Roses on our next walk.

It started in the Philippines. We had to visit one of our team members in Hospital, and we had to wear protective masks. I could see Thaw was not impressed and was concerned about contracting some kind of strange tropical illness. How dumb. He’s Thai and brought up in the tropics.

And he never really seemed to get into the Social aspect of visiting our team there. Just sitting next to me at our desks in the office and not really engaging at all. Quite disappointing really. A few people remarked on it. Maybe because he insisted on wearing his mask everywhere like he was walking through some kind of alien landscape! :rolleyes:

It didn’t get much better in Thailand. His home country for goodness sake! But I think maybe it was the increased level of pollution we experienced this time. And Yes, the mask was in place all the time, yet again.

Now we are back in Australia, have overcome all the travel and jet lag and are settling back into the routine.

We were at the Gym together the other day, when it struck me like a lightning bolt!
So that’s what’s bugging him!
I really didn’t see that coming. :eek:

You see since our last Camino I added to my injuries. With a torn Meniscus in my knee.
This has really stopped me exercising, and Yes, I know.
I should have eased back on the calories too, so as to compensate.
But I love food, and wine and Gin & Tonic.
So much so, that I have put on 10 kgs since our last Camino.

That’s why I’m trying to get back into training now.
Gently, and a strict diet too, so I don’t strain my knees with the extra weight I’m carrying.

Because as I said, our next Camino is the VdlP.
Much longer and more remote that the CF.
So, I know I need to lose lots of weight and get fitter if we are to stand a chance of finishing it.
And I will. I’m determined.

But then I saw it. At the Gym.
I was on the static bike going like crazy.
My over size ass drowning the saddle and my 'man boobs' jiggling as I cycled…
Not a pretty site. :(

And it was then I saw the disappointment in his eyes.
It was heart breaking.
He didn’t need to say anything.
It was written all over his face.
You aren’t going to make it ONE WEEK on the VdlP Robo. Probably crash out on Day 2………

Have you ever been in the position of knowing that it is You, that may jeopardise the dream of your best buddy?
It’s not a great feeling I can tell you.

But we’ll make it. We have to. I have to.
The diet is going well, and the training will ease up in effort in the coming weeks.
Heck we have 9 months of preparation.

I won’t let you down Thaw.

I’ll post again in a few months to let you know how the training is going.
And if my buddy is still coming with me….

I think what I’ve realised is this.
If you are going to walk with a friend, it creates an added responsibility. Far greater.
Have you found that? Did it create an extra strain? How did you cope?

Oh, if you are wondering what Thaw means in Thai. It means Bean. Yea I know, a bit weird.

BEFORE you pour your heart out..................

You can read about our first Camino and first falling out here: You really need to! ;););)
Robo,
You really had me on this one!!!

I'd read both of your posts...this one and your Camino in 2016
I'd even replied......
Then read the 2016 post again!!!
Did I her a fright or what...

Reply deleted ....just in time !!!
You really are a kidder and I almost fell for it ........shame on you!!!!
As I said to Andywild...you're a bad egg as my granny used to say!!!!
Good luck with the weight
Annette

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Mr Bean never was good at verbal communication. Would have saved many a miscommunication if he were - but a lot less humour too.

Last edited:
Mr Thaw is the sensible one!

I need a Mr Thaw to sort me out from time to time.

Bless you both
and Buen Camino on the Plata!

Davey

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Robo - your account resonates with me, deeply. My buddy was with me on a round Europe Coastline bike expedition that I started in 2013 (Kirkenes, Northern Norway to Trieste in east Italy); he's been with me on 9 Caminos that have included the length and breadth of Spain..many on this Forum have met him (buddy name "Munkee"). He's always been up for an adventure. Things change though - and I've sensed for some time now that he's "grown" as an individual and wants to "go it alone" and make his own adventures (which I've discovered he's started doing when I'm not around). I wonder if that's the case for you, Robo...sometimes, you just have to "let 'em go". Hold on to the good memories, the deep conversations, the sing-songs and sharing the last cookie or sip of water....all that stuff

Munkee is in my avatar on the backpack....

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back