• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Please give me some advice on which route?

katie@camino

Time of past OR future Camino
CF, SJPDP-Finisterre 2016;CP (Central) Porto-SdC 2017;CP (Coastal) Porto-SdC 2018;CF Leon-SdC 2019
Hi there :)

I wish to walk another Camino this July-August for 6 weeks. I work in a school following the northern hemisphere calendar, so this is the only chunk of time I have to walk.

But I am having trouble deciding which one and would love some advice.

I have previously walked the CF SJPdP-Finisterre (June 2016), CF SJPdP-SdC (July-August 2022), CF Leon-SdC (2019), CP Porto-SdC (2017, 2018).

One of the most important factors is accommodation availability, which is why the CF appeals to me. While I am a 'spreadsheet pilgrim' (lessens my anxiety!), I do appreciate flexibility. I also find organisation difficult, so something which is fairly straightforward and doesn't require a lot of organisation is also appealing...hence the CF! However, having walked the CF twice already, I am wondering if there are some other good options. I'd LOVE to do the VdLP but think it's a no-go in the summer.

I'd be keen to walk the Norte, but the potential/likely(?) lack of accommodation, especially in the summer with local tourism at full strength, deters me. I really don't want to get into a bed race and be rushing the walk in order to find accommodation.

I would really appreciate any and all suggestions and advice :)

Thankyou so much,
Katie

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Indeed Norte is awfully expensive in summer.
VDlP too hot.

Why not the Portugues? Ok, can become hot too but not like in the south. Plus you will have some breeze from the ocean. Lots of accomodations and really straightforward.
I walked the CP from Porto end of August and I liked it very much.

Edit...I only just read you already walked the Portugues. Should have paid more attention.
But nice enough to walk a second time...😀

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'd say
1. Norte is lovely in July/August. It's not peak pilgrim time and although the coast is touristy the tourism is quite refined and not oppressive. I'd go for it.
2. If you are finding it not to your liking you have the option halfway of switching path onto the the Primitivo at Villaviciosa, which lots of people do. That probably works out a bit cheaper too.
There are lots of other caminos you could combine with the CF like the Vasco, Salvador-Primitivo and Invierno. But my recommendation is to start from Irun on the Norte (and maybe toss a coin when you get to the fork at Villaviciosa...)

For longer walks in northern Spain (where the temperatures should be cooler) there are the Caminos Segre and Sant Jaume that connect to the Camino Catalan that connects to the Aragonese that connects to the Francés at or before Puente de Reina (because of two short variants). There is also a variant of the Catalan that connects to the Camino Ebro that joins the Francés at Logrono. Heading in the other direction is the Camino Ignaciano going from Loyola to Manresa.

There are sub-forums for many of these. Drill down from here:

I suggest you do Camino Frances once again, but just until Leon. From Leon you switch to Camino San Salvador until you reach Oviedo. From there you can either do an adventure in the mountains as Camino Primitivo or connect from Oviedo to Camino Norte (Oviedo is an alternative route for Norte). This last half of the Norte should be very relaxed in both landscape and albergue options.

I wrote an extensive overview of alternative endings to Camino Frances in my Blog. I hope it helps.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I suggest you do Camino Frances once again, but just until Leon. From Leon you switch to Camino San Salvador until you reach Oviedo. From there you can either do an adventure in the mountains as Camino Primitivo or connect from Oviedo to Camino Norte (Oviedo is an alternative route for Norte). This last half of the Norte should be very relaxed in both landscape and albergue options.

I wrote an extensive overview of alternative endings to Camino Frances in my Blog. I hope it helps.
I think this is a grand idea!
Oviedo is really interesting! And while the Salvador is very, very pastoral (to the point of having traffic-jams of cattle on the walking path!), it also has incredible industrial reminders of what sustains our capacity to enjoy the routes (heat/energy... train lines... industrial/commercial canals etc).
And the walk down the Primitivo from Oviedo has *so much* to offer that I'm about to do it again to see what I missed the first time!

My favorite Camino by far was the Primitivo. From Oviedo, it was around 340 kilometers. Much less busy than the Francés and spectacular scenery.
If this is a shorter distance than you like, you could always add on walking from Santiago to Finistere and Muxia.

I've done what @MadisV suggested - walked the Francés from SJPdP to León, then north to Oviedo on the Camino del Salvador and fortuitously avoiding a heat wave by going up in the mountains. I continued by walking up to Avilés and finishing on the Norte.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

I wish to walk another Camino this July-August for 6 weeks. I work in a school following the northern hemisphere calendar, so this is the only chunk of time I have to walk.

I have previously walked the CF SJPdP-Finisterre (June 2016), CF SJPdP-SdC (July-August 2022), CF Leon-SdC (2019), CP Porto-SdC (2017, 2018).

One of the most important factors is accommodation availability, which is why the CF appeals to me. While I am a 'spreadsheet pilgrim' (lessens my anxiety!), I do appreciate flexibility. I also find organisation difficult, so something which is fairly straightforward and doesn't require a lot of organisation is also appealing...hence the CF! However, having walked the CF twice already, I am wondering if there are some other good options. I'd LOVE to do the VdLP but think it's a no-go in the summer.

I'd be keen to walk the Norte, but the potential/likely(?) lack of accommodation, especially in the summer with local tourism at full strength, deters me. I really don't want to get into a bed race and be rushing the walk in order to find accommodation.

Thankyou so much,
Katie
Hi Katie, you might find this short video helpful:

Thankyou so much,
Katie
We're walking the Camino de Invierno at the moment. I don't know what it would be like in summer, but the scenery is spectacular, the local people helpful and friendly and the accommodation so far has been very good. So far, we've only met 3 other pilgrims, so it's definitely a more tranquil route in all ways.
We've also walked the Frances (twice), the Portuguese and the Ingles. After walking the Frances again last year, we wanted a more peaceful Camino. So far, so good.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Indeed Norte is awfully expensive in summer.
VDlP too hot.

Why not the Portugues? Ok, can become hot too but not like in the south. Plus you will have some breeze from the ocean. Lots of accomodations and really straightforward.
I walked the CP from Porto end of August and I liked it very much.

Edit...I only just read you already walked the Portugues. Should have paid more attention.
But nice enough to walk a second time...😀
Thankyou, yes I love the CP! Am tempted to do it again...it has been a whole 5 years since the last time!

Maybe walk variations of the CF like the Aragones and or the Invierno? Lodging is pretty good on both and you could still walk part of the CF?
Thankyou! I hear conflicting things about availability of accommodation on Aragones. But you think there is plenty?

There is enough for good stages. PM if you want details. We only walk about 10 miles per day and there is the ability to do that or longer stages on the Aragones.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'd say
1. Norte is lovely in July/August. It's not peak pilgrim time and although the coast is touristy the tourism is quite refined and not oppressive. I'd go for it.
2. If you are finding it not to your liking you have the option halfway of switching path onto the the Primitivo at Villaviciosa, which lots of people do. That probably works out a bit cheaper too.
There are lots of other caminos you could combine with the CF like the Vasco, Salvador-Primitivo and Invierno. But my recommendation is to start from Irun on the Norte (and maybe toss a coin when you get to the fork at Villaviciosa...)
Thanks so much, some great suggestions here. Leaning towards Salvador-Primitivo from CF but will keep thinking about starting from Irun!

Thankyou! I hear conflicting things about availability of accommodation on Aragones. But you think there is plenty?
It also depends on the type of accommodation you want, but there is enough selection even if you don't want to stay at albergues with common rooms.

For longer walks in northern Spain (where the temperatures should be cooler) there are the Caminos Segre and Sant Jaume that connect to the Camino Catalan that connects to the Aragonese that connects to the Francés at or before Puente de Reina (because of two short variants). There is also a variant of the Catalan that connects to the Camino Ebro that joins the Francés at Logrono. Heading in the other direction is the Camino Ignaciano going from Loyola to Manresa.

There are sub-forums for many of these. Drill down from here:
Oh wow I haven't even heard of most of these!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

This is a great suggestion, thankyou. Am leaning towards CF to Leon, than San Salvador/Primitivo.

However, when you say last half should be relaxed in terms of albergue options, why do you think it will be relaxed? And do you mean accommodation should be fairly available?

I think this is a grand idea!
Oviedo is really interesting! And while the Salvador is very, very pastoral (to the point of having traffic-jams of cattle on the walking path!), it also has incredible industrial reminders of what sustains our capacity to enjoy the routes (heat/energy... train lines... industrial/commercial canals etc).
And the walk down the Primitivo from Oviedo has *so much* to offer that I'm about to do it again to see what I missed the first time!
This is great to hear about the Primitivo - I have been curious about this way for a while. What did you like about it?

My favorite Camino by far was the Primitivo. From Oviedo, it was around 340 kilometers. Much less busy than the Francis and spectacular scenery.
If this is a shorter distance than you like, you could always add on walking from Santiago to Finistere and Muxia.
Thankyou! Would love to hear more about why the Primitivo is your favourite?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I've done what @MadisV suggested - walked the Francés from SJPdP to León, then north to Oviedo on the Camino del Salvador and fortuitously avoiding a heat wave by going up in the mountains. I continued by walking up to Avilés and finishing on the Norte.
Thankyou :) Did you walk walk from Oviedo to Aviles and then continue to SdC via the Norte? From there, did you rejoin the CF before SdC?

Thankyou :) Did you walk walk from Oviedo to Aviles and then continue to SdC via the Norte? From there, did you rejoin the CF before SdC?
Yes. The year before I had to stop walking on the Norte when I was only about 120 km from Santiago because of shin splints, so I wanted to finish the Norte. I joined the CF for the last day and a half.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This is a great suggestion, thankyou. Am leaning towards CF to Leon, than San Salvador/Primitivo.

However, when you say last half should be relaxed in terms of albergue options, why do you think it will be relaxed? And do you mean accommodation should be fairly available?
The Norte is busy in the first week when the trail clashes with tourist Summer resorts. After Santander the Norte is pretty much just for pilgrims. Since half of the pilgrims on the Norte switch to Primitivo and the other half continue on Norte, then albergues become quite empty (there will still be plenty of them). Lots of space to deep dive into your own mind. Kind of like walking the meseta, but you will have green vegetation around you and a brand new angle of walking Galicia towards Santiago.

This is great to hear about the Primitivo - I have been curious about this way for a while. What did you like about it?
So... among the things I really loved about it the Primitivo is that it is "just right" for someone who needs more space to myself and is very put off by "cliques". There are enough people to meet some along the way who can be great company for a bit of the walk, or a meal... and whom you will be happy to see at multiple points... but not so many that the *socializing* aspect drowns out the pilgrimage aspect. I had plenty of time to myself while walking to stop and visit whatever I wished (from little museums and galleries, wee chapels and small churches, to the bigger cathedrals). I loved the mornings at altitude and the incredible views... "Oh! Spain! Stop showing off!" became my favourite morning refrain. I found great accommodation all along the way, none of the scorching temperatures of the meseta, and plenty to entertain my meandering brain. I was amazed by smaller stopping points as much as by Oviedo and Lugo -- if for different reasons. Perhaps the small central square with the very touching sculpture in the main fountain... or maybe the chickens hanging out in the city hall garden... Perhaps the astonishing night life in the old city centre of Lugo... perhaps the Fabadas that I ate at a terrace table in the rain... the ability to do an "official start to official finish" inside of 3 weeks... The museum in the Oviedo cathedral...
Ancient monasteries and modern albergues... the melange of past and present along with the geography of the route gives the Primitivo a quite eternal feel to me.
A combination of full/closed albergues at the end of the season plus a bad cold and really bad weather took me to the low route instead of the Hospitales route, so I'm heading back in a month to catch that bit before I have actual work to tend to in Paris... I don't normally get such opportunities so I am seizing the chance.

Last edited:
I'd say
I'm glad to see this comment about the Norte being lovely in July August as I've just bought my plane ticket. I was reading some scary threads about people sleeping on the ground outside churches because there were no beds and that it was a real problem the first couple weeks. I've booked the first couple nights in San Sebastián and Getaria but I really don't want to do any more pre-booking than that. I'm fine paying extra for a bed if the albergue's are full but I was getting concerned that it would be a regular occurrence.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back