• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Please, give the younger pilgrims a break...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time of past OR future Camino
(SJPP - Finisterre)
To all of you helpful people and some not-so-helpful-people on high horses,

Please give the younger wave of pilgrims a break.

Yes, we have iPhones, we are technical hikers, we've spent time at REI talking about backpack weight reduction, and we might even phone home on the trail, egads. or we may shun all the above, but, more importantly, we are after the same straight true natural visceral spiritual amazing and ultimate transcendent experience as you.

Think about our world today--does it trouble you at all? Me too, sometimes, but let's be honest, we just inherited this world--from you and your ancestors. Sometimes it troubles us, yes, however, we must still make our way and make our life to the best of our ability. We aim to do so, and all the while, I think we earnestly strive to honor our ancestors and grandparents and so on and their struggles. Take heart in that.

So I would say to any of the younger people making their way on this fabulous ancient path El Camino de Santiago, (including a sure nod to those who hike it for reasons personal and historical that date earlier than the 1,000+ year old Christian route--DRUIDIC--all the same), I welcome you, and I hope others welcome you too.

I guess that's all. I hate racism and ageism and any kind of bias, though I understand it exists. Try to wipe a clean slate, and meet every pilgrim at their best.

Of course, doing this means that you must wipe your own slate clean first and start the walk as a babe yourself, on your own, at your own personal best. It's my hope that young or old, those you encounter will have wiped their slate clean, too, and will be ready to receive you. Should you be older and wiser, we are lucky then, so long as you share and not look down your nose at us.

We need each other.

So let's walk and be together, and,

Buen Camin0!

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
To all of you helpful people and some not-so-helpful-people on high horses,

Please give the younger wave of pilgrims a break.
So I would say to any of the younger people making their way on this fabulous ancient path El Camino de Santiago, (including a sure nod to those who hike it for reasons personal and historical that date earlier than the 1,000+ year old Christian route--DRUIDIC--all the same), I welcome you, and I hope others welcome you too.
I guess that's all. I hate racism and ageism and any kind of bias, though I understand it exists. Try to wipe a clean slate, and meet every pilgrim at their best.
Of course, doing this means that you must wipe your own slate clean first and start the walk as a babe yourself, on your own, at your personal best.
Buen Camin0!

No "high horse" here - during four complete Caminos (and some bits and pieces) I have found lots of lovely, helpful and caring "young people" - and "older people" and everything in between :) It may be that some of us feel that part of the essence of the Camino is to be found in the quietness and sounds of the lesser walked routes, rather than in earphones and i-pads.

Just one question - do you have a source for your statement a "date earlier than the 1,000+ year old Christian route--DRUIDIC"? I have spent hours over the years, trawling through the Internet and libraries but have not found any original source material. Just quotes of quotes by relatively modern authors.

Blessings on you and all "young" peregrinos
Tio Tel

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am an eighteen year old trapped in the body of a sixty one year old and I use my "smart phone" whenever I travel, walk, or on Camino. Pilgrims of every era used what was of the time, why should we not. I have helped and been helped by fellow pilgrims, as it should be.
I gave up my horse many years ago, life tends to round our sharp corners.
The only time the tech stuff bothered me was listening a seventy year old pilgrim exchange texts with his daughter back home late at night with the keypad sounds on full volume, I guess no one had told him about muting them.

Not sure I understand the point of the post..............sorry :rolleyes:

I'm 58. I walked 'connected'. With my Android, GPS, 'Line' calls home 2 or 3 times a day. My wife even walked 'with me' at times using a video link. I lost myself at times in my music while walking... I wore tech gear............

Perhaps you are under the impression that people over 40 are somehow...........old .....out of touch......and different?

Was your point that 'old' people somehow look down upon 'young' people?

People.............are just people.........

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.