• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Please, give us your thoughts/opinions

eze

Time of past OR future Camino
Francès 2005/2006
Norte 2007
Plata 2008
Eze (home) Roma
Mozarabe April 2014 (Granada-Cordoba) March 2016 (Córdoba-Merida)
Camino Gironès September 2014 (La Jonquera-Vic)
Hello to Laurie, Sue and everybody !

Back from New Zealand where we have got the chance to get a very nice weather when walking the famous Tongariro Crossing, and a few days spent in our family in Sydney, we are back to French Riviera.

Yesterday, we had a long discussion regarding Caminos.

We already have walked the mains, i mean Francès, Norte and Plata + home to Roma.

We have begun our walks towards Santiago through Mozarabe from Granada to Cordoba and french border to Vic on Catalan (Gironès).

We have some time to spend in September second half.

We wouldn't walk to Santiago.

If you have an experience regarding weather conditions at that moment of the year, is it, in your opinion, the right moment of the year to continue Mozarabe, from Cordoba to Merida where we'd stop, having already crossed Merida during our walk on la Plata ? Too hot ? Would it be wiser to return to Vic and carry on towards Puente la Reina where we'd stop, having already crossed Puente la Reina during our walk on the Francès ? Too rainy ?

Thanks for your opinions and recomendations !

Francis

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, eze,

Welcome home. In your absence I´ve gotten my plan pretty well set for the summer. I will start in either Llançà or Port de la Selva and go through Girona and Vic to Montserrat. From there on the Camí Catalá to San Juan de la Peña and then on the Aragonés to Puente la Reina. There I hop on a train or bus in Pamplona and get to Ponferrada for the second half.

I think September can be very hot down there in Andalucía. I haven´t been there during that month, but I think some posts from Anniesantiago may give you an idea of the possibilities. (Maybe post a separate thread in Vdlp asking for experiences in September).

I will start walking in early June and will report back to you. I think I´ve got the accommodation options pretty well explored, and the apartment owned by the monastery in L´Estany has given me a place to stop after Vic. I have spoken with the woman there to find out details. The apartment is 40 € without sheets and can hold 1-4 pilgrims. The monastery, especially the cloisters, looks like it´s well worth a visit. Normal operating hours are mornings only, till 2 pm, but the woman did say that if I stay in the apt. she will let me visit the monastery in the afternoon, since she´ll have to come back to get me into the apartment anyway. Sometimes there are afternoon group tours, but if not, if you stay there, you can be sure of seeing it.

Enjoy planning for this September, and let us know what you decide. I hope to walk the Mozárabe in the next couple of years, so if you walk that this summer, we can trade information. :) Buen camino, Laurie

Hi, Laurie,

Your plans to walk to Puente la Reina are also ours concerning Sant Jaume. After having walked from the french border to Vic, we are, as i said in my previous message considering to "finish" what we have begun.
As you know, we have also begun Mozarabe to Cordoba.

You are right regarding temperatures in Andalucía. That was my point. I have read reports from members, norwegian fellows if i remember, who walked Mozarabe in october and they were reporting temperatures exceding 30° celsius. No doubt that, in September, it can easily be worse.

At the present moment, the project could be : walks in Azores islands in September and Mozarabe in october. I am reluctant to restart Gironès in september as, according to previous experiences as a tourist, that area, specially going north west and approaching the Pyrénées mountains, we are quite sure to get those heavy thunderstorms that are marking the changing of seasons.
Thanks for your research regarding l'Estany. I note it as it changes the road book i had shared with you when preparing Catala walk. I'll keep the adress and phone number and use it when necessary. Would you, by chance, know whether, in l'Estany, at the monastery or elsewhere close to it, there is a possibility to have a diner ? Does the booking make that you are the only guest, or are you supposed to "share" the apartment with other people ?

Have a nice walk in June and please give us a brief report when reaching San Juan de la Peña.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back