• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Please help: in le Puy with no shoes

Desota

Time of past OR future Camino
Spring (2014)- Le Puy route
If you can please not ask how this happened I would appreciate it. Let's just say some last minute decisions on my part have left me with a pair of shoes that aren't working.

I'm supposed to start walking on the 6th.

I was told there is an intersports store and a decathlon store within a 30 minute walk from here. I will visit there tomorrow and pray for a miracle. If I hadn't been stupid I would not be without my saucony xodus size 42 shoes (sized up by 1).

Instead I have shoes that are stiffer soled and WP but rubbing my feet.

Now I fear I have jeopardized my entire trip. And in this moment here in the dark of night I feel quite exposed -- admitting to all of you that i made a totally avoidable and ridiculous blunder. Hard to know in this moment what could be worse: admitting I need help or punishing my feet.

Please don't criticize. I'm doing a great job of that on my own. But if you have any helpful thoughts please share them.

Desota

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hey Desota,

I see you're in LePuy. There's a Saucony retailer in Paris called Planet Jogging. The address is
80 Rue du Faubourg Saint Antoine
Paris, Paris 75011
Phone: 0033 153460202
I wonder if they could "Fed Ex" what you're looking for. (You understand what I mean by Fed Ex. )

We all have accidents and make mistakes. Don't be so hard on yourself. You'll find something that will work for you. Hang in there!
Buen Camino! It's going to be ok.
Pennie

No problem Desota. I did the same last year. Go to Decathlon, as they have a big range. If your pack is in the 6 to 9kg range, I'd say go for a pair of lightweight, non-waterproof mountain trail runners. Yes, they'll get wet in the rain - but they dry relatively quickly. They work well with ordinary ankle socks if you layer nylon 'pantyhose' socks underneath. If you're carrying a heavier load, though, you might prefer the support of boots. Mountain boots with good descent grips are more expensive, though, and take some breaking in. Still you should keep to the double-sock routine, though, to minimise blisters. But the trail runners would be my top tip - for price, comfort and suitability. You have NOT jeopardised your trip - merely furnished it with an extra-nailbiting element!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hey Desota,

I wonder if they could "Fed Ex" what you're looking for. (You understand what I mean by Fed Ex. )

Pennie

Yes I know fedex, but I don't know how to negotiate that in French. I was tempted to order from amazon and have them shipped to general delivery in a town down the road a ways. I even engaged a local to help me with it. I came away with the impression that there's a lot less institutionalized instant gratification mechanisms in Europe than there is in the states. So shipping was going to be 2-10 days and then there were holidays and so on. It got so complicated that I thought there has to be another solution that doesn't involve the entire world standing on its head for the sake of my feet.

Still, I would appreciate a miracle about now.

I'll try to call the miracle department number you gave me and hope that the elves speak English. Thank you!

It helps just not being so alone.
Desota

No problem Desota. I did the same last year. Go to Decathlon, as they have a big range. You have NOT jeopardised your trip - merely furnished it with an extra-nailbiting element!

Really, you found something at the local store in le Puy?
I hope you are right about decathlon's selection. Keeping fingers crossed.

Sorry - no, I didn't buy my shoes in Le Puy. What I meant was that I ditched my intended walking boots before I set off, and went instead with a last-minute replacement from my local Decathlon in London. Four weeks into my walk I bought more shoes at a GoSport in Reims, and when they too were exhausted I continued in the spare trail runners I'd brought in my pack as my 'evening' shoes. When they got too hot I bought a pair of Teva sandals. What I mean to demonstrate by this is that you shouldn't worry that you haven't trained in your new shoes, or broken them in, as long as they are soft enough and you know how to deal with the occasional blister. Don't rely on the French postal system - it is, of course, incredibly efficient, but at this time of year the post offices are closed more often than open

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Desota,

This is not an ad but a personal comment.
Most of my kit comes from Decathlon; here are the boots I wear
Lightweight, water proof and sturdy; each pair lasts me through
at least two caminos.

Right now Decathlon is having a hiking special throughout the store!

Here is the info for their store in Puy

Decathlon
Allée des portes occitanes,
ZAC Est des Portes Occitanes,
43000 Le Puy-en-Velay
tele. 04 71 06 06 00

horaires
de 9h00
à 19h30

Good luck and Bon Chemin,

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
I would try Decathlon,I've found them pretty helpful,even with my point-at-things-French. As Metropolly says,the French postal system is usually spot on,but you never know.If you try Decathlon,at least you will have boots..:)............Hope all goes well for you.:)..keep smiling....Vicrev

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Decathlon - at this time of year you should be fine in joggers. If comfort was your problem with boots just get joggers. They'll get wet but walk dry if you get highly breathable ones.

If you can please not ask how this happened I would appreciate it. Let's just say some last minute decisions on my part have left me with a pair of shoes that aren't working.

I was told there is an intersports store and a decathlon store within a 30 minute walk from here. I will visit there tomorrow and pray for a miracle. If I hadn't been stupid I would not be without my saucony xodus size 42 shoes (sized up by 1).

Now I fear I have jeopardized my entire trip. And in this moment here in the dark of night I feel quite exposed -- admitting to all of you that i made a totally avoidable and ridiculous blunder. Hard to know in this moment what could be worse: admitting I need help or punishing my feet.

Please don't criticize. I'm doing a great job of that on my own. But if you have any helpful thoughts please share them.

Desota
Desota,

I know it doesn't help your present situation, but allow me to opine....

In several weeks this will be a memory that accompanies one of the most, if not the most, important times of your life. I walked much of my camino (about 500K of it) in very expensive boots / well broken in - that held 2 feet with several broken bones (only discovered after returning to the US). The point is that it all worked out and my pain and frustration became joy and exhilaration!

Your pain and frustration will, I'm sure, become similar.

I felt pretty dumb for walking on when I knew what were happening to my feet... but, I'm still better for it.....

That's my story ... and it sticks to me!

Okay everyone here's an update.

I so appreciate the responses to my siren call. It took the whole dang day but I found salomon trail runners that will do the trick.

I have some neuropathy in my feet which makes me miserable in a hard pan heavy shoe. And boots just don't agree with me. I'm a fussy shoe buyer any way, in my own language. But I think the crisis is averted.

Thanks flewwitheagles for the tale of broken bones ... I'd like to hear more about that.

I think the most interesting part of the day was listening to the French fly as two sales women deconstructed why I was in the running shoe section not the hiking section, why I was even considering buying men's shoes (size and no goretex) and probably wondering what was up with my outfit-- Capri hikers with 3 day old stubbly legs, a t-shirt and an ugly pair of sandals on my feet.

What a miserable night it was followed by a relatively hard "the-sky-is-falling " morning. But the evening is looking up and the trail starts tomorrow.

I don't know if I could have done it without a few words of encouragement.

Thank you all. I am pretty clear on what the lesson is in all this. Not sure about the fix for it but I'm guessing the camino is going to provide some practice sessions.

With appreciation and a big dose of humility,
Susan

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Okay everyone here's an update.

Thanks flewwitheagles for the tale of broken bones ... I'd like to hear more about that.

But the evening is looking up and the trail starts tomorrow.

I don't know if I could have done it without a few words of encouragement.

Thank you all. I am pretty clear on what the lesson is in all this. Not sure about the fix for it but I'm guessing the camino is going to provide some practice sessions.

With appreciation and a big dose of humility,
Susan

Susan,

No story to the broken bones.... just a hard-headed (ness)!

Not to worry about the humility... there will be more opportunity to show your humility!! [since you're an American and on the camino, you'll have the opportunity to not see what you think you see! - and after the first several kilometers in the wrong direction.... it will all come to you again! ..... humility comes with the territory]

Oh, and there is plenty of encouragement to go around, too.

Bom Caminho..
(and mark some places for me since I'm still 4 months from starting)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Desota
Indeed
Don't be hard on yourself. You will get there !!
Burn camino.

Most read last week in this forum

I am fine tuning my packing and I pre package my vitamins/supplements to take daily, which I have done for about 15 years. Do you all take them with you, or leave them home? 36 days of vitamins...
Dear fellow pilgrims! :) I hope to walk from Le Puy to Santiago later this year. I was thinking about starting at some point in august so that I manage to reach Santiago before it gets too cold...
Hey! Thinking about walking Le Puy this year. I am a solo female traveller. On my previous Camino (Spain) I stayed in municipal albergues, but this time I would like to try something...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back