• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Please help me plan off-stages: After Sarria to Muxia/Finisterre

Lhollo

Time of past OR future Camino
CF pt2, Belorado to Sarria, May 21 – June 12, 2022
You may have spotted my previous post about which route to choose as the conclusion of our three year Camino Frances. I’m now part way into making bookings. We’ll continue the CF and walk next June, but choose off-stages. I’m hoping this will mean we can avoid hoards and find some tranquility, whilst still meeting quite a few people.

I’m looking at private rooms because of a health condition so this is important.

I’ll paste my current, very loose plan below. The bookings I’ve already made are marked.

The other places are based solely on distances: I have no idea right now as to what is in those places in terms of facilities, rooms, and badgers… I mean, scenery 😁 (badgers would be a major bonus though, eagles too!). I’d particularly like ideas as to how to arrange this based on actual places rather than on numbers.

Lastly. I have no idea about how to break up the stages to the coast.

Thanks in advance for your ideas!

Friday 9th June: A Fonte das Bodas (booked)

Saturday 10th June: Morgade 19k apx (booked)

Sunday 11th June: Ligonde 27.3K

Monday 12th June: Melide 23.6K

Tuesday 13th June: Salceda 25.6K

Wednesday 14th June: San Marcos 22.4K

Thursday 15th June: Santiago de Compostela 5.3K

Friday 16th June: Rest day, SdC

Then…

Onwards to Muxia, probably via Finisterre, but somehow keeping the stages to 17.5 mile (28K) maximum, and most days around 14-15 miles (22-25K). No complaints about the idea of a 12 mile (20K) day either!

Don’t know how many days this will take. 5 perhaps?

Then somehow home, via an airport or two. Maybe via Segovia because I like the look of that aqueduct… or Toledo… or somewhere else.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I just walked Fisterre to Muxia 30km with an overnight in Lires. Two 15 km days were nice and it was beautiful. Well marked with way marks for both directions. Hotel La Cruz in Muxia 45 euros single, I booked directly. Super clean and friendly and ocean view right outside the window, maybe an idea to ask for ocean view?

Attachments

• 939C9BB0-179F-447B-92AA-A4D9E515B79C.jpeg
    939C9BB0-179F-447B-92AA-A4D9E515B79C.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
You may have spotted my previous post about which route to choose as the conclusion of our three year Camino Frances. I’m now part way into making bookings. We’ll continue the CF and walk next June, but choose off-stages. I’m hoping this will mean we can avoid hoards and find some tranquility, whilst still meeting quite a few people.

I’m looking at private rooms because of a health condition so this is important.

I’ll paste my current, very loose plan below. The bookings I’ve already made are marked.

The other places are based solely on distances: I have no idea right now as to what is in those places in terms of facilities, rooms, and badgers… I mean, scenery 😁 (badgers would be a major bonus though, eagles too!). I’d particularly like ideas as to how to arrange this based on actual places rather than on numbers.

Lastly. I have no idea about how to break up the stages to the coast.

Thanks in advance for your ideas!

Friday 9th June: A Fonte das Bodas (booked)

Saturday 10th June: Morgade 19k apx (booked)

Sunday 11th June: Ligonde 27.3K

Monday 12th June: Melide 23.6K

Tuesday 13th June: Salceda 25.6K

Wednesday 14th June: San Marcos 22.4K

Thursday 15th June: Santiago de Compostela 5.3K

Friday 16th June: Rest day, SdC

Then…

Onwards to Muxia, probably via Finisterre, but somehow keeping the stages to 17.5 mile (28K) maximum, and most days around 14-15 miles (22-25K). No complaints about the idea of a 12 mile (20K) day either!

Don’t know how many days this will take. 5 perhaps?

Then somehow home, via an airport or two. Maybe via Segovia because I like the look of that aqueduct… or Toledo… or somewhere else.
Lires, on our way from Finisterre to Muxia, was lovely. We stayed at LIRESCA, a great little inn with a fabulous restaurant. Even if you don't stay at LIRESCA, eat at the restaurant. Great food. Treat yourself to their bleu cheese cheesecake.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am in Salceda now having just done a similar route. We’ve liked every place we’ve stayed: Casa Morgade, Pensión Eirexe, and now Tia Teresa in Salceda.

One thing to be aware of: once you’re past the main stage town that you’re intentionally going beyond, bars and restaurants in small villages may be closed already as they’re primarily open for the AM pilgrim rush.

We’ve needed to carry water and snacks for the afternoon.

Thank you for these replies! They're super-helpful. I haven't yet booked the sections after SdC, but will do so soon. I have booked in at Casa Morgade, though, @Katherine Radeka 🙂 🙏

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back