• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Please help me promote Camino Aragonés

PilgrimOliver

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Aragones (2022)
Dear Pilgrim,

My name is Oliver and I am 23 year old Marketing Management student in the Netherlands. I am currently working on my bachelor thesis and the goal of my project is to promote Camino Aragonés and increase the number of pilgrims that choose this camino.
As you might have heard, Camino Aragonés has been going through the decline in the number of pilgrims over the recent years which is hurting the development and the economy of local communities and leads to depopulation of various villages along the camino. More pilgrims on Camino Aragonés would mean more opportunities for locals.
For anyone who completed Camino Aragonés, I would like to ask you if you could fill out this survey: https://forms.gle/FCBwMatUxWcigEce7

Your answers will help me create a promotional plan for this camino.

I will be actually starting this camino myself tomorrow (29.04.) from Somport to experience the beauties that it has to offer and to look for any potential reasons of why this camino is in such a decline.
I would appreciate any ideas or tips for travelling through this camino as well as any ideas for my project in general.

Thank you for your time and I wish you Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A great deal of what I will have to say later will deal with San Juan de la Peña just off the camino a few hours on the Camino Catalan. It is a wonder. It's difficult to find time right now to write but I wanted to make sure you saw it both for yourself and the development of the camino. In Jaca ask at the tourist bureau or hospitalero how to get there.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Plan to stay at the new albergue at Canfranc Pueblo - it’s a great example to what is going right on the CA and a step toward getting folks into the path. Lack of accommodations is one big downside to this route, especially after Sanguesa.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It's a quiet walk, why increase foot traffic?
To provide at least somewhat equal opportunities for people living in the villages that the camino passes through. It is not my intention to make it so popular that it gets overcrowded like for example Camino Francés can get. But for some local communities, camino is the source of income and this decreasing number of pilgrims on Camino Aragonés is hurting their economy and businesses.

A great deal of what I will have to say later will deal with San Juan de la Peña just off the camino a few hours on the Camino Catalan. It is a wonder. It's difficult to find time right now to write but I wanted to make sure you saw it both for yourself and the development of the camino. In Jaca ask at the tourist bureau or hospitalero how to get there.
Thank you very much! I will definitely look for it.
And also thank you for the link I haven't seen it so it helps me a lot!

Plan to stay at the new albergue at Canfranc Pueblo - it’s a great example to what is going right on the CA and a step toward getting folks into the path. Lack of accommodations is one big downside to this route, especially after Sanguesa.
Thank you for your input. I will make sure to check out the new albergue😊

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My wife has been on the Aragon route 4 of the last 5 years and stated that it seems busier now than 5 years ago. While numbers have definitely declined over the history of the Camino, I’m not sure if that is still true now.

Dear Pilgrim,

My name is Oliver and I am 23 year old Marketing Management student in the Netherlands. I am currently working on my bachelor thesis and the goal of my project is to promote Camino Aragonés and increase the number of pilgrims that choose this camino.
As you might have heard, Camino Aragonés has been going through the decline in the number of pilgrims over the recent years which is hurting the development and the economy of local communities and leads to depopulation of various villages along the camino. More pilgrims on Camino Aragonés would mean more opportunities for locals.
For anyone who completed Camino Aragonés, I would like to ask you if you could fill out this survey: https://forms.gle/FCBwMatUxWcigEce7

I will be actually starting this camino myself tomorrow (29.04.) from Somport to experience the beauties that it has to offer and to look for any potential reasons of why this camino is in such a decline.
I would appreciate any ideas or tips for travelling through this camino as well as any ideas for my project in general.

I will be completing the Camino Aragones around the 24th of July. Will that be too late to take your survey?

Dear Pilgrim,

Filled in as per request.
I walked it in 2016 after finishing up the Camí Catalán. Beautiful but could use more albergues.

Where are you studying (I'm also from The Netherlands)?

Good luck and Buen Camino!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Filled in as per request.
I walked it in 2016 after finishing up the Camí Catalán. Beautiful but could use more albergues.

Where are you studying (I'm also from The Netherlands)?

Good luck and Buen Camino!
Thank you for your answers as well as the input!

I am actually from Slovakia but for the past 3 years, I have been studying and living in Groningen. 😊

Dear Pilgrim,

Oliver,
Brilliant idea. I will complete the form but may I suggest you keep a watch on this forum for people that are asking questions about starting in SJPdP and suggest to them the alternative of starting in Olorons-St-Marie, over to Jaxa and then down the A valley. Fabulous.

Well done
Grahammac

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Oliver,
Brilliant idea. I will complete the form but may I suggest you keep a watch on this forum for people that are asking questions about starting in SJPdP and suggest to them the alternative of starting in Olorons-St-Marie, over to Jaxa and then down the A valley. Fabulous.

Well done
Grahammac
Hi, Graham, Ihave been dreaming about that road starting in Olorons-st-Marie. However, do you know if there are luggage transfer services from there to Somport? Thanks, José.

Correos recently announced luggage services on the Camino Aragon - I’d check with them for that last portion of The Camino Arles from Oloron to Somport

Oliver,

Well done
Grahammac
Thank you for your answers Grahammac. Thats actually a very good idea👍

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi all, all going well, will start from Oloron St. Marie on May 18th - on to Sarrance, Urdos, Somport Pass and on to the Aragones. So excited and hoping for good weather. Anyone else walking at this time?

Hi Oliver, I completed your survey about walking the Aragones -- walked it with my dad in 2015 (also listed my blog address about our walk) --
The Aragones is a special trail for sure -- Buen Camino & have a wonderful journey!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
This calls for a multilingual website but with a paper introduction. Have a poster heavy on pictures and maps with a title like "The Other Camino" or, if correct, "The Original Camino". Otherwise with only a small amount of text so it can also be translated into multiple languages. Of course the URL of the homepage of the website should be obvious. I would put flag icons for each language available on the site near the URL so people would know that they would have an easy time at the site. The homepage would then have the same icons to direct the viewer to the appropriate sub-site.

Next is getting the posters visible. Albergues between SJPdP and Pamplona would be obvious places to start. They shouldn't mind because pilgrims are already spending money in their town. The Navarra tourist office in Pamplona may not mind either as the Aragonese also passes through Navarra.

This would possibly attract pilgrims already in those towns but the homepage or sub-site homepages would have to make it easy for the visitors to see transportation options to the Aragonese start points in Spain or France from the usual Camino Francés start points.

I attempted to complete your survey but it requires signing in with google and that’s not going to happen.

I loved the Aragon and would happily walk it again. I thought it had just enough infrastructure and the scenery was stunning. I was quite happy to not see many other people for those days.

Hi Oliver, I completed your survey about walking the Aragones -- walked it with my dad in 2015 (also listed my blog address about our walk) --
The Aragones is a special trail for sure -- Buen Camino & have a wonderful journey!
Thank you very much! I will check out your blog. Also enjoying every moment of The Aragones

This calls for a multilingual website but with a paper introduction. Have a poster heavy on pictures and maps with a title like "The Other Camino" or, if correct, "The Original Camino". Otherwise with only a small amount of text so it can also be translated into multiple languages. Of course the URL of the homepage of the website should be obvious. I would put flag icons for each language available on the site near the URL so people would know that they would have an easy time at the site. The homepage would then have the same icons to direct the viewer to the appropriate sub-site.

Next is getting the posters visible. Albergues between SJPdP and Pamplona would be obvious places to start. They shouldn't mind because pilgrims are already spending money in their town. The Navarra tourist office in Pamplona may not mind either as the Aragonese also passes through Navarra.

This would possibly attract pilgrims already in those towns but the homepage or sub-site homepages would have to make it easy for the visitors to see transportation options to the Aragonese start points in Spain or France from the usual Camino Francés start points.
Thank you very much. Those are great ideas!! I will make sure to use them in my plan because I am not sure if I'm capable of providing that from the technical point of view.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I attempted to complete your survey but it requires signing in with google and that’s not going to happen.

I loved the Aragon and would happily walk it again. I thought it had just enough infrastructure and the scenery was stunning. I was quite happy to not see many other people for those days.
Oh that is weird. It only requires me to sign in if I want to save the progress😔 anyway thank you for trying and for your reaction

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Could you please provide a link to the baggage transfer.
I saw it advertised on a Camino Aragon or Canfranc Facebook group recently, but didn’t get contact info since it’s not a service I use. 😞. You may want to contact the Tourist Information office in Canfranc Estacion - they speak English and have knowledge of the Camino and it’s related services.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I would like to write more on how San Juan de la Peña could help promote the Aragonese but I will save that for later. By the way, when you respond to this thread each day would you please say where you are. And have you seen the monasteries yet?

I'm going to notify you that the Aragonese has a variant from Sangüesa that follows an old railroad bed. In Spain at least a number of these are called Via Verdes. In the US we call them rail trails. I've read on the forum that the Via Verde variant here is spectacular.

Two years ago there was information about this in several languages at the municipal albergue in Sangüesa. The hospitalera also told of a nearby place to get an early morning bus that would take you part way and save you some of the extra walking that the variant would add. I suggest,that for your project, you take this variant. Maybe you could take both routes.

I hope some other members will add extra information about this or find some forum links for you. I'm currently writing with no internet access and will copy and paste this text to post once I do have access. I think that the Via Verde variant presented in promotional material would increase the number of walkers on the Aragonese.

I would like to write more on how San Juan de la Peña could help promote the Aragonese but I will save that for later. By the way, when you respond to this thread each day would you please say where you are. And have you seen the monasteries yet?

I'm going to notify you that the Aragonese has a variant from Sangüesa that follows an old railroad bed. In Spain at least a number of these are called Via Verdes. In the US we call them rail trails. I've read on the forum that the Via Verde variant here is spectacular.

Two years ago there was information about this in several languages at the municipal albergue in Sangüesa. The hospitalera also told of a nearby place to get an early morning bus that would take you part way and save you some of the extra walking that the variant would add. I suggest,that for your project, you take this variant. Maybe you could take both routes.

I hope some other members will add extra information about this or find some forum links for you. I'm currently writing with no internet access and will copy and paste this text to post once I do have access. I think that the Via Verde variant presented in promotional material would increase the number of walkers on the Aragonese.
Hi Rick, I am actually in albergue in Sanguesa right now but there aren't really hospitaleras. They just give you the key and that is it. Also I can't find any information about that in available documents which are presented here but I will look for some information on internet.

I haven't been to the monastery because there is no bus off-season and I am not capable of walking there. I might ask my supervisor to drive me there after I finish the camino.

Other than that I'm really enjoying the camino and the people I'm meeting are amazing.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Rick, I am actually in albergue in Sanguesa right now but there aren't really hospitaleras. They just give you the key and that is it.
Must be because of Covid. In 2019 the hospitalera dropped in for a visit; she wasn't resident.

This link will help with your project but isn't useful for your current trip:

Definitely see posts #7 and #10 in this forum thread before leaving Sangüesa:

Something else that you may want to see right away;

I'm on a trip myself and am pressed for time. I've tried getting some links with keywords but I keep coming up with pages in Spanish and that has slowed things down.

Buen Camino.

the Aragonese has a variant from Sangüesa that follows an old railroad bed
That’s the path through the Lumbier gorge into the village of Lumbier - a lovely path with an awesome train tunnel! Plus there is a side-path to a collapsed Roman bridge that is called the Bridge of Angels or Bridge of the Devil depending on your inclination….😎

You can keep following that old railway to Pamplona, but it’s very poorly marked and follows a highway for most of it. There are other paths nearby, though, that you can also follow to Pamplona over two days.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I almost didn't get to tell you about the Lumbier variant out of Sangüesa in time so I'm posting early for this other variant.

From Eunate there are two ways to finish the Aragonese. The following thread will have the details. @Vacajoe and I had a dispute early on but I think everything ended up okay.

I almost missed the way to Eunate when the road turned but a path off of it continued straight. So you don't run into the same problem. This is what Santa Maria de Eunate looks approaching it.
IMG_20191109_134226.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for your recommendation! Unfortunately I am not that of an experienced walker and the route to Lumbier is 5 km longer which would make 32 km stage which would be too much for me at this time.

Luckily after finishing the camino, I am staying in Pamplona until 18th May so I will try to revisit it since there is a regular bus from Pamplona to Sanguesa.

Another pilgrimage, the javieradas, takes place along the Aragonese that may help with its promotion. You may see cross markers along the way. Look for the Castle of Javier. This article mentions the javieradas:

Here's a forum thread on the crosses:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you for your recommendation! Unfortunately I am not that of an experienced walker and the route to Lumbier is 5 km longer which would make 32 km stage which would be too much for me at this time.

Luckily after finishing the camino, I am staying in Pamplona until 18th May so I will try to revisit it since there is a regular bus from Pamplona to Sanguesa.
I broke that stage up by staying in Lumbier and then walking the next day to Monreal

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi all, all going well, will start from Oloron St. Marie on May 18th - on to Sarrance, Urdos, Somport Pass and on to the Aragones. So excited and hoping for good weather. Anyone else walking at this time?
I'll be doing the same route at about the same time this year (2023). How was the weather when you went?

I'll be doing the same route at about the same time this year (2023). How was the weather when you went?
Very pleasant, no rain. The walk over the Somport was glorious and when you entered Spain at the top, path was extremely well marked. Took a little getting used to the French Camino markings from Oloron St. Marie, but all good.

Very pleasant, no rain. The walk over the Somport was glorious and when you entered Spain at the top, path was extremely well marked. Took a little getting used to the French Camino markings from Oloron St. Marie, but all good.
That's wonderful to hear Linda!

May I ask what the French camino markings look like? Is it the red and white stripes? Are there arrows with the stripes to tell the direction?

Back