• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Please help my girly soft feet man up

Linni

Time of past OR future Camino
Starting my camino in September (2015)
Went for a 10km hike in the mountains with my 7.2 kg backpack for my first fully equipped training yesterday included new salomon hiking shoes! And the hiking socks I will be wearing for the camino..

Got home with 5 blisters and sore feet. Not cool! Is this normal when you break your shoes in? I am clueless.. And is there any way I can "man up" my feet?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hei, Linni! No, that's not cool. Are you sure your shoes are big enough, or do you get blisters because they are too tight? Because there are edges inside them rubbing? Because the socks are bunched up? I tend to get deep blisters around the side of the heel, these are pressure blisters and will happen no matter what I do. If you get them between toes you can tape the toes before you go out, if you get them on the sole you can tape around the foot to avoid friction. I don't really think you can toughen the feet up much, but you can remove the reasons for the blisters and try to prevent them. Goretex will make some people's feet too hot and sweaty and give them blisters - I never use Goretex anymore and it helps me. Where are your blisters happening?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
They are non goretex. Tried out this trick I read about wearing thin lady socks under the hiking socks to prevent blisters.

Got one blister on my heel, one in my left arch and 3 tiny ones on the right arch.

I think my arch is just a little bit high, and got these shoes for that reason that they had pretty good arch support. Maybe they had too much support? o_O

Also got them 1 and a half size too big as my feet swell a bit while walking.. Not sure if that was a good move in the end?

@Linni no it's not normal or good. A few more questions to help sort out the issues.

Do you do any walking normally and if so, do you get blisters? If not, what shoes do you normally use? Is there a reason why you aren't wearing those on Camino?

I walk a lot of 10-15km mountains in Spain in wintertime, but only use Nike running shoes for that. They also give me blisters some times, and arch pain (almost cramping up) as they don't really give much support.

Haven't tried these shoes in flat terrain yet, only in the steep, rocky mountain for now.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Went for a 10km hike in the mountains with my 7.2 kg backpack for my first fully equipped training yesterday included new salomon hiking shoes! And the hiking socks I will be wearing for the camino..

Got home with 5 blisters and sore feet. Not cool! Is this normal when you break your shoes in? I am clueless.. And is there any way I can "man up" my feet?

Linni:

Not sure when you are walking but you at least have some time to address the problem.

Different approaches work for different people in regards to feet issues. The first place I would start is to go back to the store and see if you can get some help with a good fitting. Most REI or equivalent stores have good people to get the right type of shoe for you. Explain the problem and they should be able to help.

Doubling your socks is also a good suggestion. This should cut down on friction. I also put Vaseline on my feet each morning and evening others use something similar. Most importantly you have to listen to your feet. When you start to feel a rub or friction stop and address the issue before it turns into a blister. Carry some band aids or compeed and put something over the friction spot.

I hope this helps. Remember your feet have a big impact on how enjoyable your Camino will be. Have no fear there is a solution for you out there.

Ultreya,
Joe

Last edited:
Well Linni, it is not uncommon that "breaking-in" new shoes result in blisters but you should check on the following:
- When did you shop your shoes? (Always try them on at the end of a day, and if possible after a longer walk; never in the morning). Your feet expand during the day.
- If your shoes " fitted just right" when you tried them on in the shop, chances are that they are really too tight. (see above)
- For longer tracks such as the camino, choose 1-2 sizes more than "normal".
Continue your training with other shoes (runners) for time being, until blisters have healed, then try your new shoes once more; if blisters occur again, DON'T take them to your camino! Try to return them to your store, some (the good ones) may exchange them. It is absolutely ESSENTIAL that your shoes fit comfortably- no compromises!

If you wear Nike running shoes for 15km mountain hikes in Spain, in winter, why aren't you wearing those on Camino? I don't understand.

For 8 Caminos I wore ASIC running shoes very happily, and I now wear Ecco sandals.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks for all good advice every one! Will probably have to try them out a few more times before I leave for the camino 20. September.. If they don't work they don't.. I hope they will tho! Crossing my fingers that these are just "breaking in" blisters

Thanks for all good advice every one! Will probably have to try them out a few more times before I leave for the camino 20. September.. If they don't work they don't.. I hope they will tho! Crossing my fingers that these are just "breaking in" blisters

You are living in a dream world Linni
Whatever you used previously use again.
Take sandals , Ecco or Merrill and use if required when your feet blister.
They will.
A 10km hike got blisters......well mate x 2 each day
x 35 days.
Go back to the proven shoes or an early stop for a few days [ Burgos] or an early finish.

Soak your feet in a strong tea solution, for at least 2 weeks before leaving on your Camino. This will toughen up your feet. ( ballet dancers trick)!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The subject is covered in other forums. I have 'princess' feet ... they blister if they hear me say "camino".
I often get blisters on fairly short walks - sometimes 10 kms can start them.
Many walkers recommend buying shoes a size too large, to accommodate 2 x pairs socks plus feet swelling. I do that - it helps me.
I have successfully used panty-liners on previous caminos - on my feet I hasten to add. Place them on the floor sticky side up, Slowly lower the foot onto it so it covers the 'normal' blister area. In my case the ball of the foot below the toes.
I've tried most other suggestions - vinegar, white spirit, talcum powder, Vaseline .... none worked for me.
Some of us are simply more prone to blisters than others.
Buen camino .... with or without panty-liners ;)

Lucky you! Been sandal season here in Alicante since March so been trying to keep my feet soft and good looking = girly feet to me :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Linni:
I have done two things to toughen feet up with very good success:
  • Soak feet in strong hot tea- I soaked my feet several weeks before my first Camino in about a gallon of very strong black tea. I have used family sixe tea bags and made it as hot as I could stand. Let the feet soak till the tea cools. This done for 3-4 weeks before leaving, 1-2 times per week, will toughen up the skin very well
  • Rubbed pure lanolin- I would rub this on my feet the day after I soaked them. This is typically sold in the maternity area as a lotion for breast feeding mothers. It will soften your feet, but make a good strong waterproof barrier to reduce blisters.
  • Do also as stated above regarding double layer socks, lubricant before walking, larger shoes, etc. All these make a difference and taken together can make you blister free the whole trip.
Rambler

@Stephen Nicholls, Sir tried your panty liner trick on the Norte and they worked a treat - except he stuck the liners to his shoe, so he was walking on the absorbent side. They only lasted a few days but as they come in packs of 20 that was fine.

Have you tried Engo patches? Just wondering.

got them 1 and a half size too big
Always buy footwear that fits. Try them on with the sock combination you plan to use. Blisters come from friction. Friction comes from movement between the foot and the footwear. Find a way to eliminate the friction. Spot treatment with moleskin of Compeed may work. A general lubricant may work. I suggest that the lubricant include silicone, but many have success with Vaseline or Crisco. You may have to renew the lubricant during your walk. Don't ignore hot spots. Don't just keep walking. You will be taking only one pair of feet, so treat them as essential, not as an after thought. Focusing on speed or a destination while ignoring your feet is a recipe for failure. :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks so much for this website address. I have finally diagnosed why I am so prone to toe blisters when I do exactly as others and still end up covered in them. Claw toes!!!!! I think it's the result of a lifetime of clutching on to flipflops!!!

With little time to your Camino you could try surgical spirit, it does help to toughen up the skin and will not adversely affect your current blisters, although it will probably sting. It isn't good for long term use as you could finish up with tough skin which then blisters underneath but is good for quick results in the short term.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Linni! You're in Alicante as well? :cool: Just come back to the UK and it's 17 deg and and raining and I put the heater on :D

I swear by wearing 2 pairs of socks (thickness depends on size of your shoes and what feels comfortable...) and Nok cream (it's French, never seen it in Spain but available on the Internet) OR vaseline.
I still get the odd blister from time to time but always when I've been walking on hot tarmac for hours.... Somehow it doesn't agree with me! Otherwise, even with wet feet, nothing.
Hope this helps,
Buen Camino!

10/15 K walk is not my idea of 'breaking in ' shoes. Try a 2 or 3 K walk. Then a 5k etc. build yourself slowly.
Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Lucky you! Been sandal season here in Alicante since March so been trying to keep my feet soft and good looking = girly feet to me :)
Come on, Linni! I wear sandals the whole year round. All day, every day.....but, once the next Camino draws near and after starting to soak my feet in tea, they really don't look very pretty. Now, do I want pretty feet OR would I like to hopefully walk my Camino blister free???:rolleyes:Please note, that this year I somehow forgot to practice what I'm preaching here and forgot to do this, for me, vital pre-Camino preparation! Result: I got a blister - the first since 2008, which is when I started the tea solution remedy!

Many good points here.. Do a few short ones with the new shoes, then aim for longer ones is not a bad idea.. Guess I'm just too excited!

Maybe if I ever go for another camino I will plan it better.. Just decided to do the camino since a month ago :p

Come on, Linni! I wear sandals the whole year round. All day, every day.....but, once the next Camino draws near and after starting to soak my feet in tea, they really don't look very pretty. Now, do I want pretty feet OR would I like to hopefully walk my Camino blister free???:rolleyes:Please note, that this year I somehow forgot to practice what I'm preaching here and forgot to do this, for me, vital pre-Camino preparation! Result: I got a blister - the first since 2008, which is when I started the tea solution remedy!
annakappa, once you immerse your feet in the tea, how long do you soak them? Just until it cools? I depart Sept 25, so will start this regimen a couple of weeks out. Thanks. I think I had seen a thread on this before, then forgot about it. So far, I've had no problems whatsoever in my training. I'm still trying to figure out what 'breaking in' really means. My new Ahnu boots were super comfy when I first put them on; never a hint of any problems and two months later, still comfy. I have hammer toe, so use the gels between the two toes. No problem. And yes, I use the vaseline. But I'm also not going to assume I would never have a blister problem, so definitely will use the tea method.

€83,-
To prepare your skin: spray lemon juice on them 2-3 weeks before heading out. Akilene also makes a product called Tano.

On days you walk: rub your feet with vaseline, Vick's Vapour Rub, Bag Balm or Proshield Plus or a similar product containing the same active ingredient, dimethicon.

Other great product for prevention and healing: St-John's Wart oil. A true blessing for the feet.

annakappa, once you immerse your feet in the tea, how long do you soak them? Just until it cools? I depart Sept 25, so will start this regimen a couple of weeks out. Thanks. I think I had seen a thread on this before, then forgot about it. So far, I've had no problems whatsoever in my training. I'm still trying to figure out what 'breaking in' really means. My new Ahnu boots were super comfy when I first put them on; never a hint of any problems and two months later, still comfy. I have hammer toe, so use the gels between the two toes. No problem. And yes, I use the vaseline. But I'm also not going to assume I would never have a blister problem, so definitely will use the tea method.
Well......I keep my tea solution bowl under the computer desk, so every time I go on the computer, I simply put my feet to soak in this pretty ugly looking tea solution.
Note, that I don't make a new brew each day!!! It lasts several days and gets progressively stronger:)
As far as breaking in is concerned, I try to walk in my boots for at least 100 Kms, 200 Kms would be better!
Obviously, the more you "know" your feet defects, the better you can PREVENT problems. I use a gel separator between my first and second toe, because of bunions. I put toe protectors on my two smallest toes, because somehow, they get sore quickly. I have always covered my feet in Vaseline, but have never used two pairs of socks.
I have never once walked at home with my pack, which usually weighs 6 kgs.
Remember: you will be walking every day for the length of your Camino! That's quite different from going out for a practice walk once a week and being able to pamper your feet ( or legs, or what ever) between your practice days!!! We do a "general maintenance" walk almost daily, thought the whole year ( that's of course the advantage of being in a "certain age group")!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Linni

A great product available in Spain is Pedi Relax. There's a few varieties but the one
with a blue stripe on the packaging was fantastic. I think it was in Burgos where a
kindly assistant in a chemists introduced it to me as an alternative to vaseline. ( I was
also given a lollipop because I was a peregrino ! ). I slathered it onto my feet each
morning. Bish, bash, bosh

Buen Camino

Well......I keep my tea solution bowl under the computer desk, so every time I go on the computer, I simply put my feet to soak in this pretty ugly looking tea solution.
Note, that I don't make a new brew each day!!! It lasts several days and gets progressively stronger:)
As far as breaking in is concerned, I try to walk in my boots for at least 100 Kms, 200 Kms would be better!
Obviously, the more you "know" your feet defects, the better you can PREVENT problems. I use a gel separator between my first and second toe, because of bunions. I put toe protectors on my two smallest toes, because somehow, they get sore quickly. I have always covered my feet in Vaseline, but have never used two pairs of socks.
I have never once walked at home with my pack, which usually weighs 6 kgs.
Remember: you will be walking every day for the length of your Camino! That's quite different from going out for a practice walk once a week and being able to pamper your feet ( or legs, or what ever) between your practice days!!! We do a "general maintenance" walk almost daily, thought the whole year ( that's of course the advantage of being in a "certain age group")!
I've done well over 200kms (not at one time mind you) I first do the vaseline on my feet, then the toe gels, then a panty liner in my boot. I wear ankle-hi or knee-hi hose underneath my socks. If I feel I need another pair of socks, I first put on bamboo socks, then the Smartwool socks. I've walked with my backpack throughout my training, however my bag on the Camino will be lighter than what I am carrying now. I do 'get' that my walks here can't compare in distance of the Camino. It's just a training program I set up for myself back in March for 10-20km per day walks, with one rest day. I'll definitely try the tea treatment….. without the cream and sugar :>). Thanks again for the info...

Apart from all the good advice above on caring for your feet, what I noticed in your post was that you walked for the first time with your pack at 7.2Kg. If you haven't been gradually building up the weight you carry on your walks, this can also be a cause of blisters, as a sudden increase in weight carried will change how your feet deal with the walk. Especially if you combined this with new shoes as well. 7.2kg isn't particularly heavy for walking the Camino, but if it's zero to 7.2 without building up even to that moderate weight, it can have an effect. I would strongly advise (in addition to foot care of course!) dropping that weight for your next walk to something which feels very light, then gradually add to it as your feet accustom to the additional weight. If you're walking in September you don't have much time for this, but hopefully you'll have a number of practice walks still to go, and can slowly increase your pack weight. If you have been doing this maybe you just upped it to the full weight a bit quickly, in which case drop it back a bit and then start to increase it. And of course, have a look at what you're taking and if you can reduce even that 7.2kg to something less your feet will thank you!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I usually get blisters on a long walk, but this year I suffered less than usual. I taped my toes (I usually get blisters between them), put on a compeed barrier cream and wore a pair of thin trainer liners under my socks or double layered socks and it worked. I still got a couple of blisters but nothing significant and no pain. I also took my socks off (and changed them when possible) when we stopped for a coffee stop.
A podiatrist also recommended putting surgical spirit on my feet to harden them up for a couple of weeks before leaving. I took every precaution and it helped. I cant say which was the best but the combination was good for me.
Wishing you a blister free Camino.

I've done well over 200kms (not at one time mind you) I first do the vaseline on my feet, then the toe gels, then a panty liner in my boot. I wear ankle-hi or knee-hi hose underneath my socks. If I feel I need another pair of socks, I first put on bamboo socks, then the Smartwool socks. I've walked with my backpack throughout my training, however my bag on the Camino will be lighter than what I am carrying now. I do 'get' that my walks here can't compare in distance of the Camino. It's just a training program I set up for myself back in March for 10-20km per day walks, with one rest day. I'll definitely try the tea treatment….. without the cream and sugar :>). Thanks again for the info...
Crikey! 10-20 km per day walk So! You will be more than fit when you start your Camino!!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi! I've done a Camino every year since 2008. My first Camino was the Frances. I walked it with walking shoes I've used on treks in the Alps and South America. I double sock. I have Bridgedale inner sock and Bridgedale Light outers (Light means meant for summer rather than winter walking). I never had a problem with blisters until the Camino. I had a large and infected blister develop on the way to Logrono. I was popping Ibuprofen like candy on the way in. We had a rest day in Logrono. It was suggested that maybe my feet were swollen because of the heart. It was worth checking out. My Camino partner found a sports shop and I limped along to get new walking shoes. I was amazed when I was fitted into a pair of walking shoes 3 sizes larger than my normal size. Yes, my feet were that swollen. My other shoes were posted back to Scotland. I would disinfect the blister and used compede. My blister began to heal! In one of the albergues along the route, I found some Unguento del Peregrino which was produced by Camino Mundi. This stuff was magical. It was vaseline based, but had eucalyptus and arnica along with other herbs. I would massage my feet at night and but a light coating on in the morning. This reduces friction and also means that your compede doesn't become one with your socks. If you can't get this, vaseline works well. I also use vicks vapo rub. Having sandals is crucial. I don't mean flip flops, I mean something you can walk in. I don't use sandals for walking the Camino, but they are an essential item to have once you arrive at where you are going to stay. You take your Camino shoes and socks off and slip into your sandals for walking around town. Sandals are TOTALLY worth the extra weight. I've never heard about soaking feet in tea. A chiropodist recommended soaking my feet pre-Camino in water with a bit of Potassium Permanganate for 20 min. It you put in too much you feet turn a bit brown. What this does is plug up your sweat poors. So your feet don't get sweaty, your socks stay dry and this reduces the chance of getting blisters. You can also toughen up your skin by squiring them with rubbing alcohol. The key thing is to listen to your feet. Prevention is a good thing. If you are walking and start feeling a bit of your foot rubbing, stop, take off your sock, examine your feet and put on a preventative compede. There are many theories on the Camino about how to deal with blisters. The Spanish are fond of using string. You have a needle with string. You take the needle and push it through the blister and leave both ends of the string (maybe 1cm on each side of the blister) hang out. This is supposed to wick out the liquid. You are supposed to move the string back and forth a wee bit to get things moving again. I've tried string. I prefer pocking the blister with a disinfected needle (a small bottle of alcohol is useful for this), squeexing out the liquid, letting it dry for a bit and then putting a compede on top. You should be aware that there can be blisters under blisters. So if you have popped and squeezed a blister and it still feels like there is more liquid, you probably have a deeper blister. So you need to stick the needle in deeper. You should also be aware that blisters can develop underneath toe nails. If you touch a toe nail and it is sore, there is probably a blister underneath. As horrible as this sounds, the best way of dealing with this is to stick the needle under the toenail. I had a large and painful blister under my large toenail after a winter climbing expecdition in Scotland. I had a friend who was a GP so I phoned him up about his. I was horrified at his suggestion, but by the evening I was in so much pain, sticking a needle under my large toe nail sounded like a good plan. There was such a build up of liquid that it literally squirted out. I pressed down on the toenail to get all of the liquid out and the relief from pain was immediate.

I hope this helps. I now wear larger shoes and double socks. I prepare my feet with pottasium permanganate before hand. I keep compede, a needle and a small bottle of rubbing alcohol in my first aid kit (tip: put something like tape on the end of the needle so is doesn't slip out of the compede box). Having Ibuprofen to hand is also good. It relieves pain and is also helps with inflamation. I rubb my feet with Vick Vapo Rub in the morning and do a top up if I'm doing a long day. I wear sandals once I've arrived at my end of day destination. I've done many Caminos blister free. My most recent Camino from Muxia-Fisterra-Santiago. I got a small blister on the last day because it was raining and I didn't want to stop to fix my foot. I figured that I could limp into Santiago and sort out the blisters once I was installed in a nice, dry room.

Buen Camino

Hi! I've done a Camino every year since 2008. My first Camino was the Frances. I walked it with walking shoes I've used on treks in the Alps and South America. I double sock. I have Bridgedale inner sock and Bridgedale Light outers (Light means meant for summer rather than winter walking). I never had a problem with blisters until the Camino. I had a large and infected blister develop on the way to Logrono. I was popping Ibuprofen like candy on the way in. We had a rest day in Logrono. It was suggested that maybe my feet were swollen because of the heart. It was worth checking out. My Camino partner found a sports shop and I limped along to get new walking shoes. I was amazed when I was fitted into a pair of walking shoes 3 sizes larger than my normal size. Yes, my feet were that swollen. My other shoes were posted back to Scotland. I would disinfect the blister and used compede. My blister began to heal! In one of the albergues along the route, I found some Unguento del Peregrino which was produced by Camino Mundi. This stuff was magical. It was vaseline based, but had eucalyptus and arnica along with other herbs. I would massage my feet at night and but a light coating on in the morning. This reduces friction and also means that your compede doesn't become one with your socks. If you can't get this, vaseline works well. I also use vicks vapo rub. Having sandals is crucial. I don't mean flip flops, I mean something you can walk in. I don't use sandals for walking the Camino, but they are an essential item to have once you arrive at where you are going to stay. You take your Camino shoes and socks off and slip into your sandals for walking around town. Sandals are TOTALLY worth the extra weight. I've never heard about soaking feet in tea. A chiropodist recommended soaking my feet pre-Camino in water with a bit of Potassium Permanganate for 20 min. It you put in too much you feet turn a bit brown. What this does is plug up your sweat poors. So your feet don't get sweaty, your socks stay dry and this reduces the chance of getting blisters. You can also toughen up your skin by squiring them with rubbing alcohol. The key thing is to listen to your feet. Prevention is a good thing. If you are walking and start feeling a bit of your foot rubbing, stop, take off your sock, examine your feet and put on a preventative compede. There are many theories on the Camino about how to deal with blisters. The Spanish are fond of using string. You have a needle with string. You take the needle and push it through the blister and leave both ends of the string (maybe 1cm on each side of the blister) hang out. This is supposed to wick out the liquid. You are supposed to move the string back and forth a wee bit to get things moving again. I've tried string. I prefer pocking the blister with a disinfected needle (a small bottle of alcohol is useful for this), squeexing out the liquid, letting it dry for a bit and then putting a compede on top. You should be aware that there can be blisters under blisters. So if you have popped and squeezed a blister and it still feels like there is more liquid, you probably have a deeper blister. So you need to stick the needle in deeper. You should also be aware that blisters can develop underneath toe nails. If you touch a toe nail and it is sore, there is probably a blister underneath. As horrible as this sounds, the best way of dealing with this is to stick the needle under the toenail. I had a large and painful blister under my large toenail after a winter climbing expecdition in Scotland. I had a friend who was a GP so I phoned him up about his. I was horrified at his suggestion, but by the evening I was in so much pain, sticking a needle under my large toe nail sounded like a good plan. There was such a build up of liquid that it literally squirted out. I pressed down on the toenail to get all of the liquid out and the relief from pain was immediate.

I hope this helps. I now wear larger shoes and double socks. I prepare my feet with pottasium permanganate before hand. I keep compede, a needle and a small bottle of rubbing alcohol in my first aid kit (tip: put something like tape on the end of the needle so is doesn't slip out of the compede box). Having Ibuprofen to hand is also good. It relieves pain and is also helps with inflamation. I rubb my feet with Vick Vapo Rub in the morning and do a top up if I'm doing a long day. I wear sandals once I've arrived at my end of day destination. I've done many Caminos blister free. My most recent Camino from Muxia-Fisterra-Santiago. I got a small blister on the last day because it was raining and I didn't want to stop to fix my foot. I figured that I could limp into Santiago and sort out the blisters once I was installed in a nice, dry room.

Buen Camino
Whew! thanks

For your consideration Linni-- 1) "toed" socks as the first layer (I use Injinji but there are other brands) have saved me: no friction between my toes as each is in its own little "cubby". 2) a lightweight second layer sock (thicker "winter-weight" hiking socks are too much for my feet). 3) rubbing some form of creme, salve or ointment on the feet before putting on the Injinis a/o bandaging the trouble spots beforehand. 4) As for the painful arch, that in some ways may be the more worrisome issue. In my (painful) experience, something that hurts like that causes me to alter the way I walk/hike and that "compensation" begins to affect other parts of my body--heels, toes, hips, low back etc. Finding the shoe/boot that solves that "hurting" arch, ball of foot, toes, heel, etc. seems essential if one is to complete one's journey. Less than three weeks away from walking my first Camino and I have had a Morton's neuroma flare up "suddenly" (as the training distances and days per week increased). The pain is excruciating/hobbling. I am now in the process of breaking in new boots with a wide toe box, increased length, and what is called a "zero drop" (aka no "heel height"). A website was recommended to me that you also might find helpful: www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLLjwAZVkrY

Feeling for you and wishing both of us Buen Camino. :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Sherrie

It's much better to aim for prevention rather than cure but both aspects should be considered - and I'm just complementing what others have said

I get blisters on my heels if I walk with regular shoes that have a hard edge at the top - so I walked the Norte with very light trail running shoes that have soft fabric edges - more importantly, they fit like a glove at the rear so that there is no movement (as others have said, friction is the root cause) and yet there is enough width in front to wiggle my toes - so I'd be wary of buying shoes that are much too big

So now I don't need to use a second pair of sock or apply Vaseline - but you should still bring enough spare socks so that you can change them two or three times a day - this will give your feet some fresh air and allow you to check for hot spots - you can also put tape over problem areas to add some protection

You might also bring some alternative sandals that you can use - to give you a rest from walking in your main pair for part of the day

If all else fails, and it might, Compeed will then be your best friend - it absorbs moisture from the blister whilst giving sufficient comfort to keep walking

Mike

No @Stephen Nicholls I haven't tried them but a friend swears by them so am taking a couple of patches on my next Camino.
I've had some luck with Engo patches when I was developing a blister on the bottom of my foot next to the ball of the foot. Place the patch on the insole not on your feet. They're slick so they reduce the friction beneath your foot so they decrease the shearing forces that cause the blisters.

Blisterprevention.com is a great website. This may be counter to some of the usual philosophy of toughening up your skin, but, if I'm reading it correctly, blisters form due to the separation of the rough skin with the lower layers due to friction. I try to get rid of rough areas on my feet because this seems to be the areas where I get hot spots or where skin starts to separate and peel.

Yes, the only place I get blisters (now I'm in sandals) is the balls of my feet. They don't worry me much, I just pop them. But I'm hoping the Engo patches on the right spot on my sandals will work.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I would use double socks, carry moleskin, compeed is great if you have to walk with a blister. AND GET BIGGER SHOES! And get shoes with lots of toe room! Most people wear shoes that are too small for them, we are used to scrunched toes. Try taking the insert pad out from the shoe and see how your foot fits when you step on it with out your shoe. Men's shoes have more toe room. My low top hiking shoes that I loved before I went on the camino turned into instruments of torture after hiking for about 6 hours. My feet swelled and swelled. I cut out the toe section of the insert to give my toes room, but then I got blisters on the balls of my feet. Scrunched toes are hell... I lost both my big toe nails, and no, the ones growing back do not look like my old toe nails. :(

I threw out my hiking shoes when I got to Santiago. I wore my son's shoes (Teva) and they were heaven! I ordered a pair of men's for me when I got home. I almost bought different shoes in Astoria (I should have), but the shop was closed, and it would have meant staying another day, and I fooled myself into thinking that my feet would adapt. I thought I'd find another store if I need one.. .I didn't.

I saw a sports doctor about my feet before I left, who told me that many women my age (in their 50's) have foot pain when they walk or stand for even just a few minutes. (I had heel pain.) He gave me exercises to do. But walking the camino was the best exercise! I can stand for hours now. :) And my feet touch the ground differently than they did before my camino. I remember my feet muscles cramping while I walked and at night, I swear I could feel them healing and changing.

I met a man who had walked for 6 weeks-- he told me that after 30 days his feet didn't hurt at all from an his all day walk.

Buon Camino!

If you wear Nike running shoes for 15km mountain hikes in Spain, in winter, why aren't you wearing those on Camino? I don't understand.

For 8 Caminos I wore ASIC running shoes very happily, and I now wear Ecco sandals.
Hi Kanga, I am starting the camino Frances on 9/9, and I wear New Balance running shoes all the time, and have been wearing them on my 50 miles of weekly walking on pavement and grass in a local 1000 acre park. I haven't gotten any blisters. I was going to wear a new pair of those on my camino. Did you also wear just regular socks on your caminos where you wore your Asics?

Sherrie

It's much better to aim for prevention rather than cure but both aspects should be considered - and I'm just complementing what others have said

I get blisters on my heels if I walk with regular shoes that have a hard edge at the top - so I walked the Norte with very light trail running shoes that have soft fabric edges - more importantly, they fit like a glove at the rear so that there is no movement (as others have said, friction is the root cause) and yet there is enough width in front to wiggle my toes - so I'd be wary of buying shoes that are much too big

So now I don't need to use a second pair of sock or apply Vaseline - but you should still bring enough spare socks so that you can change them two or three times a day - this will give your feet some fresh air and allow you to check for hot spots - you can also put tape over problem areas to add some protection

You might also bring some alternative sandals that you can use - to give you a rest from walking in your main pair for part of the day

If all else fails, and it might, Compeed will then be your best friend - it absorbs moisture from the blister whilst giving sufficient comfort to keep walking

Mike
Thanks Mike. I actually do not get blisters. I was replying to Linni who had experienced them on a short training hike. I like the idea of taking sandals and have included them in my pack. Buen Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Everyone is different but.....I have walked the Camino Frances twice...no blisters!
I wear Solomons 11.5 Mens shoes, my regular size is 10.5 and I wear "Wright" socks which are a double layer sock.......I wear this combo every time that I hike at home,as well. Works beautifully for me.
I am male and those sizes are US.
Good luck!

Walking and complaining about blisters in my first walk brought these two products to my foot blister prevention arsenal :

GEHWOL foot cream, applied every day for two weeks before the walk, toughens the foot skin, my friends used to call it german tank grease. The effect goes away after a couple of weeks of no cream.

CORPITOL : recommended by a spanish peregrino that had baby feet, blisterless. You can get it in a pharmacy along the way. It is a mix of vitamin E and other oils. apply every morning before walking, gets absorbed by the skin.

Socks : take a 2nd pair and change them after a few hours or when you start to feel and think about your feet more than normal, I call it a warning from your feet! don't wait until the blister forms...

Used them in the 2nd camino and I must say I had no blisters to complain about...

@Robert Corcoran sometimes I wore coolmax socks, sometimes fine tight knit merino, sometimes both. Never cotton.

I never get blisters in cool weather, so it is obviously heat related.

€46,-
Hi Linni

A great product available in Spain is Pedi Relax. There's a few varieties but the one
with a blue stripe on the packaging was fantastic. I think it was in Burgos where a
kindly assistant in a chemists introduced it to me as an alternative to vaseline. ( I was
also given a lollipop because I was a peregrino ! ). I slathered it onto my feet each
morning. Bish, bash, bosh

Buen Camino
Called NOK in other places. It is supposed to be good for conditioning your feet.
This sounds like a boot issue to me.

Movement within the shoe can cause blisters, so going larger and larger will not help and can be bad, unless of course you have been wearing too-small shoes. You must have a shoe that is the right shape for your foot, allowing room for some expansion late in the day but no slippage earlier in the day. If in doubt about the size, get the larger one. Then experiment with different socks and combinations to see what works best for you. I wear the same size or 1/2 size larger than all my other shoes. I have made a point for 30 years to only wear comfortable shoes that fit me well, so going even larger would make walking very uncomfortable.

I have gotten blisters on the bottom of my foot from slipping movement when I wore socks that were thickish and loose, in a shoe that was also a bit loose.

well if you have not walked any miles at all for while you are going to have to "break in your feet" before your shoes providing you have a well fitted shoes, and you are well hydrated ( major cause for blisters) just goes for short walks everyday and add a little every day, walking with a pack with time will toughen up your feet.

Zzotte

Movement within the shoe can cause blisters, so going larger and larger will not help and can be bad, unless of course you have been wearing too-small shoes. You must have a shoe that is the right shape for your foot, allowing room for some expansion late in the day but no slippage earlier in the day.

Oh how true, C clearly! When I win the lottery, I will have some shoes custom made! But till then I just have to put up with the inevitability that in order for me to get a shoe that is comfortable across the very wide ball of my foot/metatarsal, I have to get one that is a bit too long. This means that every single year I lose the nail of both second toes (caused by my foot slipping forward on downhills), but that is far preferable to the alternative of having the shoe be too narow across the ball of the foot. I learned that the hard way. Buen camino, Laurie

Laurie: can't you 'pad' your second toe? You could either buy one of those tubes, made of gel inside and covered with mesh on the outside, which you then cut to size, or buy toe covers. I use both. Depends on the vulnerable toe ( most of mine are vulnerable)!!!

Oh how true, C clearly! When I win the lottery, I will have some shoes custom made! But till then I just have to put up with the inevitability that in order for me to get a shoe that is comfortable across the very wide ball of my foot/metatarsal, I have to get one that is a bit too long. This means that every single year I lose the nail of both second toes (caused by my foot slipping forward on downhills), but that is far preferable to the alternative of having the shoe be too narow across the ball of the foot. I learned that the hard way. Buen camino, Laurie
I also lose a toenail! And my feet who swell just because they can on a regular day at the office NEVER do on a Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Laurie: can't you 'pad' your second toe? You could either buy one of those tubes, made of gel inside and covered with mesh on the outside, which you then cut to size, or buy toe covers. I use both. Depends on the vulnerable toe ( most of mine are vulnerable)!!!

Thanks, annakappa, I have used them in the past, but not recently. Thank you for reminding me of that possibility. I will add it to my "foot bag" next year and see how it works. Thanks! Laurie

for me to get a shoe that is comfortable across the very wide ball of my foot/metatarsal, I have to get one that is a bit too long. This means that every single year I lose the nail of both second toes (caused by my foot slipping forward on downhills),
I also have short toes, which means that shoes are always a bit long if they fit the widest part. I have found that Salomons fit my narrow-heel wide-forefoot well, and that light boots hold my foot in position because they are laced up snugly over the instep. That's why I say that the shape is so important. Good luck on that lottery!

Question to @annakappa and @Rambler: Tea's getting a strange flavor after bathing my feet in it; what do I do wrong?
Pano:
Sweeten it BEFORE you put your feet in. And if the milk curdles as your toes touch the hot tea, you need a shower...

;)

Rambler

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Kanga, I am starting the camino Frances on 9/9, and I wear New Balance running shoes all the time, and have been wearing them on my 50 miles of weekly walking on pavement and grass in a local 1000 acre park. I haven't gotten any blisters. I was going to wear a new pair of those on my camino. Did you also wear just regular socks on your caminos where you wore your Asics?

My New Balance were too wide at the base of the heel. Wrong last for me I think.

Wow lots of responses...but we can use all the advise possible and then adjust it to your needs.
I walked the Camino this May/June and totally believe in prevention.
I bought my Keen Marshall hiking shoes 6 months prior to my walk and bought them 1 size larger then my regular size.
Then I walked in them for 6 weeks with thick Thorlo hiking socks on. But just 1 or 2 miles max a few days a week. After that I increased the distance and walked for 6 weeks 3 or 4 miles AND TAPED my heels and little toe with Leukotape that I ordered on Amazon (they sell leukotape in Spain but is was slightly different and not as good) Then the last 2 months before my Camino I walked with a full pack (18 lbs ) my usual 4 miles (5 x a week) and every weekend a longer walk (10 miles) I live in FL so don't have hills so I also walked now and then on a 12% incline on the treadmill (with pack and hiking shoes)
Arriving in Spain I religiously taped my heels and little toe every morning and put some bodyglide on my feet and my thick Thorlo hiking socks. It worked great and I never even had a hot spot.
Oh I have a very high arch and had custom made insoles that were fitted to my Keen Marshals. I just ordered a new pair there they worked great for me .
I also brought some hiking sandals (bass pro brand only $39 ) that I wore everyday for the last 5 km or so when my feet were just longing to some more wiggle room and just a change.
I came across many walkers with blisters. Mostly due to shoes that were too small/not breaking in properly/not the right socks.

GOOD luck and enjoy

[QUOTE="

I also brought some hiking sandals (bass pro brand only $39 ) that I wore everyday for the last 5 km or so when my feet were just longing to some more wiggle room and just a change.
/QUOTE]
I'm not finding Bass Pro Shops brand on their website. Was it another brand? I'm searching for a hiking sandal that works for both switching off when I walk and can also be used in the shower.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
[QUOTE="

/QUOTE]
I'm not finding Bass Pro Shops brand on their website. Was it another brand? I'm searching for a hiking sandal that works for both switching off when I walk and can also be used in the shower.
Hi sorry my bad....it was actually NOT a "Bass pro" brand but their main cheap sandal they carry. they are called Redhead River sandals .

Last edited:
FOund them! Thanks for your quick reply. Do they dry fast? Do you think they would be okay for shower use? And, are they light weight? (Sorry for all the questions!).

FOund them! Thanks for your quick reply. Do they dry fast? Do you think they would be okay for shower use? And, are they light weight? (Sorry for all the questions!).
No worries :) I never got them wet. (No rain on our trip) and no they are no good in the shower. I Just used them for walking (and I used socks while wearing them, everybody does so no worries about it looking funny with socks). for the shower just bring a very simple light flip flop. They are not super light but similar to teva or keen walking sandals. I LOVED them. However you should try them on and walk in them for some miles. Everybody is different. I have high arches and for that they gave good support. They are also very soft on the inside so I had no rubbing issues.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back