• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Please help! Right now, en route to Biarritz

Limah

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2015
Pilgrims, Im taking Camino Baztan--
Please help. I didnt plan much .... A few gronze maps. Thats about it. I fly into Biarritz tomorrow! Yay! ... But...no idea where to go.

1. I will take shuttle to Bayonne but dont know where to get off in Bayonne.??
2. Im walking Camino Baztan where do I get a pilgrim passport in Bayonne??
3. Where in Bayonne does Camino Baztan begin ?? I hear Baztan is wellmarked but where does it all start?

Any guidance is sooooo appreciated.

Blessings.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Limah
I believe you can pick up a pilgrim passport/credencial at the Cathedral in Bayonne, and that the Camino Baztan starts from there.
You can take a bus from Biarritz airport to the centre of Bayonne - I'm not sure which stop you would need to get off to be closest to the Cathedral - others will advise on that I'm sure!

Good luck and Buen Camino!

Buen Camino Limah..........enjoy your journey!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You will see the spires of the Cathedral as you approach Bayonne and you should get off the bus near the Mairie. The Cathedral is open during the day but operates with some very strange hours. You need to go to the vesterie on the right side of the altar area to find the clerk who can provide you with a credential.
I have driven along side the Baztan between Biarritz and Zubiri and it should be easy to find once you are headed towards SJPdP but I would certainly ask someone for directions because I have never seen the markings.

Pilgrims, Im taking Camino Baztan--
Please help. I didnt plan much .... A few gronze maps. Thats about it. I fly into Biarritz tomorrow! Yay! ... But...no idea where to go.

1. I will take shuttle to Bayonne but dont know where to get off in Bayonne.??
2. Im walking Camino Baztan where do I get a pilgrim passport in Bayonne??
3. Where in Bayonne does Camino Baztan begin ?? I hear Baztan is wellmarked but where does it all start?

Any guidance is sooooo appreciated.

Blessings.
Im walking the Baztan in September, I found this , http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/llevatela-al-camino/completa/?camino=camino-baztanes This is a guide for the Baztan. Hope this helps,
Buen Camino.....Cliff

Buen Camino!!!

I just arrived in Pamplona. Baztan Camino is magical. There is no other word for it. Several days in the rain... And.. Even such, Tears streaming over the sight of such beauty. Baztan. Ohh. So very grateful.

Also- @Cliff175 thank you for the guide. It came in handy. I received it after my Espelette detour. Highly recommend Espelette, even thru the being lost part. The albergue looks out onto rolling hills and Basque meadows. Exceptional. After several stops asking locals to point me in direction, finally found my bearing. Before you hit Souraide, you'll come to cemetary. Espelette is to left of cemetary. However your guide is spot on ... And leads you passed cemetary to "wooded area." Here, you'll have option to visit Espelette. Follow this detour and you'll go a couple kilo out of the way - do as I did (sharp left before cemetary) and you'll go six kilo out of way and share road with cars.

Also - Olague. Make sure you are well supplied with food, including dinner and hike to Pamplona next day. Bar is almost always closed. I was blessed. The old woman who holds key to albergue brought me an egg sandwich. Her sincerity and kindess is other-world. If there was an archtype for grandmother, she's it. Heart of gold.

Finally - going to Pamplona. Take the river walk as your guide recommends. However... If your using google translate (not sure how it reads in Spanish), something to remember- very easy. Once you hit Sorauren, you'll see sign "10 kilo to Pamplona." Simply stay on that path. No need to ever cross over or leave the river walk. Stay til the end. I had a couple locals stop me several times and say "Camino??" Then point me into Arres city... (Where Camino Frances picks up). I smiled and pointed to river walk, saying "but this is more beauitful!!" They all agreed, laughed.... But still encouraged me to go into Arres as its shorter.
:)

Loving the roads less traveled. I saw one other pilgrim the entire time.

Buen camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Sounds like you are having a wonderful Camino. I plan to begin The Baztan Camino September 7. Just courious, is there a compestela for completing the Baztan Camino ?

I'm open to any advice
Buen Camino,
Cliff

Buen Camino!!!

I just arrived in Pamplona. Baztan Camino is magical. There is no other word for it. Several days in the rain... And.. Even such, Tears streaming over the sight of such beauty. Baztan. Ohh. So very grateful.

Also- @Cliff175 thank you for the guide. It came in handy. I received it after my Espelette detour. Highly recommend Espelette, even thru the being lost part. The albergue looks out onto rolling hills and Basque meadows. Exceptional. After several stops asking locals to point me in direction, finally found my bearing. Before you hit Souraide, you'll come to cemetary. Espelette is to left of cemetary. However your guide is spot on ... And leads you passed cemetary to "wooded area." Here, you'll have option to visit Espelette. Follow this detour and you'll go a couple kilo out of the way - do as I did (sharp left before cemetary) and you'll go six kilo out of way and share road with cars.

Also - Olague. Make sure you are well supplied with food, including dinner and hike to Pamplona next day. Bar is almost always closed. I was blessed. The old woman who holds key to albergue brought me an egg sandwich. Her sincerity and kindess is other-world. If there was an archtype for grandmother, she's it. Heart of gold.

Finally - going to Pamplona. Take the river walk as your guide recommends. However... If your using google translate (not sure how it reads in Spanish), something to remember- very easy. Once you hit Sorauren, you'll see sign "10 kilo to Pamplona." Simply stay on that path. No need to ever cross over or leave the river walk. Stay til the end. I had a couple locals stop me several times and say "Camino??" Then point me into Arres city... (Where Camino Frances picks up). I smiled and pointed to river walk, saying "but this is more beauitful!!" They all agreed, laughed.... But still encouraged me to go into Arres as its shorter.
:)

Loving the roads less traveled. I saw one other pilgrim the entire time.

Buen camino!

Hi, Limah,

Sounds beautiful! This camino is on my short list, for sure. Can you tell me your stages? Thanks and buen camino! Laurie

Buen Camino Limah!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Just wondering how you are doing ? I leave Sept 7. Sounds like the Baztan is a unique route

Buen Camino. I hope you have a wonderful time. I will be following you I think a month today! Leaving Bayonne 7th October for Pamplona.
Do you plan to "document" this route as others have done? Am thinking about doing it in the Spring, and would like various viewpoints ;)
Buen Camino!

€149,-
Do you plan to "document" this route as others have done? Am thinking about doing it in the Spring, and would like various viewpoints ;)
Buen Camino!
@OTH86 Hello I have only just seen your message! I am flying to Biarritz tomorrow and will start walking on Friday. I will not be blogging as such - I relish the chance to go off line (-ish) for the days of Camino! But I will put up my stages and any useful advice when I get back. Tim

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back