• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Please help with camera purchase

Markaphx

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances - March / April 2015
Hello
I'm leaving for my Camino Frances in less than a month and I just decided my existing camera isn't going to work well enough for what I want.
I'm hoping with all the expertise here on the forum I can get suggestions on what camera to buy.
I want to take high quality photos and videos with a compact lightweight pocket camera. Maybe some image stabilization in video mode. Hopefully spending around $200 - $250 or less(?).
Using a phone is definitely not an option.
The 2 cameras I have that im not taking are:
Samsung NX1100 (too big /heavy and bouncy in video mode)
Sony Cybershot 12.1 W290 (low quality pic and video)
Anyone with suggestions? I'd really appreciate any advice!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'd suggest reading multiple online reviews.

I suspect that most responses here will be from people who are very fond of their cameras, and they will all push what they have and like (which I'll not do), which will leave you with a whole lot of opinions and not much closer to making your own decision. I'm not trying to be negative, but have seen this happen on too many other forums.

If you're in the U.S., I will say that B&H in NYC is the only place that you should consider buying it from.

Last year I bought a panasonic lumix DMC LF1 which was suggested by a professional photographer friend who did some research for me. I was very pleased with it and I received many compliments on my photos. You can see the results in the link below to my Camino portuguese. The previous year on the frances I used a mini iPad for photos which was ok, but I missed the zoom and macro functions. The camera has wifi connection which was great on camino.

There is a new model now (perhaps the ZT 70) with much longer zoom. These models may fall within your budget at a discount supplier.

As @Charles Hansen suggests, I am recommending what I know and love and worked for me.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I am currently using an Olympus SZ-16, a compact camera that I carry in a pouch clipped onto the shoulder strap of my pack. It is readily accessible there, unlike the bridge camera I carried on my first camino and had to keep in the top of my pack. It has excellent optical zoom and reasonable image quality for what it is, but if you are dissatisfied with the Sony, you might not find any compact camera any better.

I would prefer to have good optical zoom over other characteristics, but its always a bit of a balance. I bought my first Olympus compact digital camera many years ago for that reason. At the time they were the only digital with good (x10 or better) optical zoom. I have used other makes of bridge cameras, but continue to use Olympus compacts.

I took a Canon G15 with me and was more than happy with it. As it is now an 'older model' you might find it for a good price somewhere. As a general tip, have a look at https://www.flickr.com/cameras and compare the images taken the Camera models you are interested in. Buen Camino, SY

May I ask why? I'm an avid photographer/videographer. My Samsung note 3 phone takes better photos than my SLR, image stabalisation etc, as well as Full HD video, and can take an external mic. Same as my ProSumer Video camera. In fact the video quality is better.

OK, as I don't have extra lenses, I have to move myself, to get the right shot....

Just asking.......:oops:

I presume you need 'professional' quality images for some reason....

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
After finding the travel cameras from Canon and Nikon to be sub-par, I've been using a Panasonic DMC-ZS20 with good results. It has an excellent 20x Leica lens, but fits in my pocket and is great for quick draw shooting.

May I ask why? . My Samsung note 3 phone takes better photos than my SLR,

I presume you need 'professional' quality images for some reason....

There is so much a real camera can do that is not possible with a phone. Not just image quality, but field of view issues.... here's a post I did in another thread: only one shot could be done with a phone.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I shoot in three modes, the phone, the travel zoom pocket camera, and the full on DSLR with various lenses. The results are distributed accordingly----some good snapshots from the phone, some professional quality stuff from the DSLR. I won't say there is no overlap----Sometimes I shoot something great with the phone, often I shoot garbage with the big camera, but I pick the cameras according to what I hope for and how much effort I'm willing to put into it.

Here's three photos... the dog could be shot with any phone, the compressed field of the biker was possible with the pocket travel zoom, and the eagle, shot from my living room, required a professional quality 400 mm lens. I carry the camera which suits my photographic goals.

geo1-jpg.7516
xmas1-jpg.7517
eagle-jpg.7515

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I brought my iPhone and the small Samsung Galaxy w 21x lens. Both fit into my waist pack along with my valuables. I haven't shared any photos yet taken with that, just the iPhone pics and, unfortunately at my iPad so can't access them. But it's a great little camera.

Very pleased with the results. Media shared on this forum iPhone pics.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I bought a Sony Nex-3 for the Camino and was very happy with it. A huge image sensor gives me very clear shots and an ability to fuzz the background (or not) to create more professional-looking photos rather than just snapshots. I would attempt to show you some of the photos, but I cannot figure out how to do so on this site. And it is light weight for carrying, and almost looks like a point and shoot (to avoid attention of would-be thieves).

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
There are just so many options and variables it's difficult to decipher which would be best for my camino.
I have a Samsung Note 4 which is decent but not the high quality I want.

Hello
I'm leaving for my Camino Frances in less than a month and I just decided my existing camera isn't going to work well enough for what I want.
I'm hoping with all the expertise here on the forum I can get suggestions on what camera to buy.
I want to take high quality photos and videos with a compact lightweight pocket camera. Maybe some image stabilization in video mode. Hopefully spending around $200 - $250 or less(?).
The 2 cameras I have that im not taking are:
Samsung NX1100 (too big /heavy and bouncy in video mode)
Sony Cybershot 12.1 W290 (low quality pic and video)
Anyone with suggestions? I'd really appreciate any advice!
I am bringing my Panasonic Lumix SZ1 which is as good as any in my opinion. I am also now bringing a small action cam that I got for Christmas if I can remember where the 'safe place' is that I lefy it in :). Both are small and light and stow away conveniently. edit to say, found the safe place :)

Last edited:
I bought a Panasonic Lumix TZ40 just before I went on a trip to Ireland last year. It's a lovely little camera,
fits easily into a pocket etc.

However, what I should have done and the same applies to whatever camera I could have chosen, was to buy
it a month before I went and take it out on a days walk with the aim of learning how to use the thing ! Trying
to figure out how to change modes as your beautiful sunset disappears is very frustrating.

So, shop around by all means, but buy early and have a few days out in the field experimenting.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I brought my Sony NEX-5N for my "album photos" and my Android Nexus 4 mobile for instagram photos. I'm som glad I had my camera and 2 lenses (19 mm and a 30 mm/Macro) with me. I really appreciate those photos more than the phone photos (but I sit on an 27 " iMac Retina at home :) ).
My new camera is a Sony a6000 and I think I'll take that extra weight to bring that one the next time but I have't decided. Time and some test walks will tell. I really would love to bring my tripod as well. I'm not there to take photos but as photography is my main interest I can't help my self regretting those photos I didn't took.

Compare:
https://plus.google.com/photos/118228126685972344134/albums/6085368677088994881/6085386382225727858 (Sony NEX-5N)
https://plus.google.com/photos/118228126685972344134/albums/6087276641605814177/6087276844130361186 (Nexus 4, cropped for Instagram)

The best camera is the one you already have.

Like Magwood I like the Lumix LF1. It takes good photos and video and has lots of clever things. The zoom is genuinely useable handheld which big zooms are not. Two most important things which clinched it for me:
It has an LCD viewing screen on the back which is good and bright but for when conditions are very bright and you can't see the screen it also has a small electronic viewfinder which is all you need for framing a shot.
It has its own short range WiFi (you don't need external WiFi) so each day I use that to back up my pictures onto my smart phone for protection then from that I upload them onto my cloud storage when I have access to free WiFi.

Good Luck.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I enjoy my photography and have had shots on magazine covers with my SLR. I won't say more about an SLR because it is not going due to size and weight regardless of the quality difference of the photos and control you have over a pic taken on a phone. No, I am not doing the Camino for photography reasons, but what a disappointment to travel so far, for possibly a once in a life trip and not bring back something I would truly enjoy.

The question is, what do to choose for a pocket travel camera that fits in budget and carry size? I chose a Nikon CoolPix for size, weight and budget, but the Panasonics are pretty nice as well. Once again, test it out and learn it, if it is important to get the shots you want.

Oh, the weight penalties we are willing to suffer for the things we want, eh?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi all, i am a Photographer and i love Canon as all my professional gear is Canon.

For this Trek i need something light and meets the criteria i set for myself, as per all the above, GPS (to tag pics), Waterproof, Battery life good, Light/Small, Universal and can charge USB/Power i ended up with Nikon AW120. Was about $300 but all the reviews showed this one by far the number 1. Hope that helps.

There is so much a real camera can do that is not possible with a phone. Not just image quality, but field of view issues....

OK, I get it. It's been so long since I used a 'real' camera :) They sit in the store room...

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back