• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Please I need advice!

Pamela Jimenez

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2013 Camino Frances to Finesterra…
May 2014 Via La Plata
I waked El Camino Frances early May 2013, Great experience but I really want to go back, but this time I want to do Via De La Plata. Iam thinking in early May next year 2014 Is that a good month?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I waked El Camino Frances early May 2013, Great experience but I really want to go back, but this time I want to do Via De La Plata. Iam thinking in early May next year 2014 Is that a good month?
Hola Pamela - welcome to the forum!!
May is probably the best month to start the Silver Camino. It's usually not too hot; the Easter crowds have gone; most of the alberges are open and the Spring wild flowers paint a great canvas. The VdlP does have one drawback - it does have some long days/stages. Plan on an average of around 25 km each day. The most up-to-date guide books are available from Gerald Kelly (do an Amazon search - there reasonably inexpensive) or if you are starting in Sevilla then get a copy of the Amigos del Camino de Santiago guide to the VDLP - this one is aound E10-12, its spiral bound. Sorry its not available other than from the Amigos or Tirana Backpackers (occasionally). Alison Raju is in the process of completing her revised guidebook but there is not clear positive date for its publication. A search of these pages will also provide some good recent experiences.
If your schedule allows plan on a couple of rest days - say in Merida (to see the Roman ruins) and Salamanca - the great university city of Spain. In fact by Salamanca you will definitely be ready for a day off - its Stage 20 of the Amigos book - and just over 520 km from Sevilla - but I would not try to stick to their schedule - adjust to your own. For me their Amigos 37 stages does not allow for bad weather (to hot; too much rain etc).
Buen Camino ;)

Thank you so much for the advice!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I started on April 7 this year and it was busy, and as I am used to a warm climate I did not notice the heat. But many other peregrinos were complaining about the heat - about 25 to 30 degrees in the middle of the day in April. If you like warm weather, certainly start in May as the April rush by Europeans will be over. Its a beautiful Camino and very different to the Frances - less touristy

We biked the VdlP at the end of May beginning of June this year. We expected heat in Seville and colder in the north, but we got the opposite. Overall the weather was perfect with only 20 minutes of rain in 17 riding days. The flowers in my avatar are a taster of the flowers you will see in Spring.

I would suggest that spring is the perfect time.

Hello pamela,

The best time is at the beginning of may. As mentioned by saint mike as to all the plus points i do not need to repeat. I assume you speak spanish, this is even an extra advantage as many of the pueblos inhabitants do not speak much english.

I did the via de la plata this past february from sevilla. And obviously it is not the same as doing it in the spring time.

Anyway, good luck on your planning and buen camino. Que tengas un buen dia.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
May is a good month for Via de la Plata. It is not so hot. Be prepared for some water in the arroyos, if it has been raining you might have to wade some of them. When I walked there in May 2011, it was a bit busy with up to 50 people on the road. Perhaps it was a rush of people who stayed out of the holy year rush in 2010. Buen camino,

Pam,

Just be very careful crossing the arroyos. If it rains, you might encountered many more temporary streams (???) as some of the paths will be inundated with water. Be very careful when crossing the arroyos (some of the water in the arroyos were as high as 3 feet while i was doing the vdlp in february). I fell down and hit my head on the large rock in one of them. No serious damage except my vanity.

Do not tried to attempt to cross on the large, large uneven rocks. They are very slippery and very easy to lost your balance. Take off your boot to cross the arroyos-water will be fast flowing and icy, the botton surface with the small pebbles will also be slippery. Use 2 walking poles or find some sturdy walking sticks for balance and support. You will not find many concrete block as in cf for crossing the streams.

Buen camino.

Last edited:
Take off your boot to cross the arroyos-water will be fast flowing and icy, the botton surface with the small pebbles will also be slippery.

Also, undo your backpack straps so it can be quickly removed if you go down.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back