• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Please need some advice from the veterans

Yagami913

Time of past OR future Camino
Walking now
I'm in Logrono and i have a big blister in a bad spot. The water already escaped somewhere. If it's Just the pain i dont care but i dont want to get a hospital. What shoud i do? Stay a day or carry on?

View attachment DSC_0204.JPG

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm in Logrono and i have a big blister in a bad spot. The water already escaped somewhere. If it's Just the pain i dont care but i dont want to get a hospital. What shoud i do? Stay a day or carry on?

View attachment 44769
Hello Yagami913,
I'm not sure what you mean by "bad spot". However, you have perhaps answered your own question by asking if you should stay a day.

With the weather staying hot as it is now, it is unlikely your blister will get a chance to heal quickly if you carry on walking.

My advice is get that blister seen to, take a day to allow it to dry out as much as possible, then if you feel able, take the following 2 or 3 days at short distances.

You say you don't mind the pain but, pain usually means an open blister. An open, blister often leads to infection. It's not worth taking the chance.

Buen (fast healing) Camino

Pretty standard stuff for Logrono. Anybody who has done the Frances has seen much worse.

Keep it clean. Tape it. Take a day off. Buy some different socks. Consider buying some of your favorite running shoes if that's not what you are walking in now. Walk shorter days until the pain subsides. Consider shipping your pack ahead. If you have a schedule to keep, walk a bit, and taxi ahead the rest of the stage. Once you start walking on it again, stop when it hurts. Adjust tape and socks. Did I mention keep it clean!

Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Be sure your shoes really fit you properly. Logrono would be a good spot to check for perhaps a half size larger? Just a thought. Or perhaps hiking sandals? All depends on what caused the blister. I know one thing we've learned to do is stop often and take off our shoes. Every hour and half or so. Only for maybe five minutes to air the feet out and keep them as dry and cool as possible. Seems to work well, at least for us! Buen Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Make sure it is clean, get antibiotic cream on it. Don't just let it go. Infections from blisters can go deep. To the bone! Be careful and take care.

Logrono isn't a bad place to spend a day...

To avoid infection, get it looked at. You needn't go to a hospital. Your hospitalero can make a recommendation or the local centro de salud will take you (although it's not free-- if you don't have the European card, or your own insurance, they may ask you for an upfront payment).

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The best advice I received on the trail for blisters like that (I had 3) was to wash the site thoroughly, avoiding any further damage to the roof (the loose skin), and to let my foot hang out of the sheets overnight to become very dry. Then I would put a blister bandage (like compeed) on in the morning and keep it on for a few days (until it would come off). Some say the compeed products are only good on blisters whose roof has come off, but I found that was not the case so long as I waited the 4 or so days for the bandage to come away on its own. By that time, the new skin would have formed under the wound, and the old skin would slough away painlessly, leaving a clean and solid surface behind. I know that I will have 2 repeat blisters this trip (they are the consequence of a broken toe not set straight) and they will look much like yours.

Clean. Dry. Do not allow infection an inroad. Clean socks. Exposure to air for at least a full night. No wandering in open sandals with an open blister (or any wound on your foot). And a day of rest if you feel the need.

I just dealt with a similar blister here at home and learned that my beloved Ice Breaker socks will not be coming with me on my upcoming Camino.

Oh... and remember that Camino is a day after day after day thing... so the advice that assumes you will go home tomorrow and not have any further injury is *not* suitable. In short: don't thread blisters! I find that leaving the fluid *in* (when they don't pop on their own) is very helpful for long treks. The fluid is antiseptic, and provides cushioning in the interstitial tissues so it has a very important function for healing. Of course, the fluid filled blister is uncomfortable, so that's why I use the counter pressure of the bandages. But I doo try to keep an antiseptic site in condition to continue its healing work.
Buen Camino... and definitely take a day off if it helps! Better a day off than to have to leave the trail (which I saw lots of in 2014).

If it's not infected, but simply hurts, I would treat it myself. I've never taken a day off just because of blisters, even infected ones. But I'm stoic. So rest if you need to. And really take good care of any open blister.
That means cleaning the entire foot well, taking particular care of the blister and the area around it. I actually do a surgical scrub with betadine. Then once it's dry, I use antiseptic and cover it with a sterile dressing that breathes.
Go here for good professional advice:
https://www.blisterprevention.com.au/

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I visited a good podiatrist in Viana. She treated my blisters which were beneath the toe nails. Prescribed antiseptic lotion and with the help of Google translate instructed me to buy and walking sandals. I bought these and wore them with socks, bliss!

Last edited:
My wife has an issue with blisters on our walk and a Hospitaleros fixed a pan of warm water with vinegar and after soaking her foot the were dried up the next day. We still took one more zero day for her to rest her foot and the albergue let us stay there.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

View attachment 44769
Hi Yagami913,
1. Your first goal right now is to reduce the risk of infection. Clean that area well with soap and water, rinse and pat dry. Keep it clean. You could even get a syringe without a needle from a pharmacist, some sterile "normal saline" or even get an unopened bottle of bottled water to rinse out the blister. You are just trying to remove debris. This is not a sterile procedure, but keep everything clean. Don't step on the shower surface with your bare foot or step on any surface other than a clean towel. You "might" be lucky and have new, intact skin under that blister. I can't tell from the picture. But, you might have what is called a granulation or fragile epithelial tissue and this tissue is at risk for infection. What you want to do now is to kill the surface bacteria. You can clean the area around your blister and inside your blister with Betadine or liquid iodine. This might sting if you have open skin under that blister, but it will kill surface bacteria. Bacteria love a moist, warm environment and that is what the bottom of your foot is right now.
2. It is okay that the blister broke. From your picture, it appears that you have a calloused area under your plantar 1st metatarsal head. Callous does not have give and take like intact skin does, so when you are walking you get friction and shear at the calloused area and your skin layers actually separate and you get pockets of fluid. If the pressure continues, the fluid can actually be forced between your upper layer of the skin and the blister become bigger.
3. Your second goal is to protect that traumatized area. Bandaging your blister will be interesting because it is in a difficult part of the foot to tape. You want a product to kill surface bacteria (an antibiotic ointment), a product to absorb any drainage and a product to hold everything in place without causing further damage.
Wounds heal quicker in a moist environment because the new cells need moisture to move across the surface of your skin. Dried tissue is dead tissue. Just keep that moist environment clean!
4. Our bodies want to heal. I'd rest it for at least a day, clean it well and change the dressing daily. Once that blister has closed and you know that you have new skin, protect it, protect it, protect it! The healing process actually takes up to a year as the collagen realigns itself from a jumbled mess into a nice grid.
5. If you have ANY concerns about an infection, get it seen at the hospital immediately!
6. Antibiotic ointments should only be used for a few weeks. One can develop a sensitivity to the antibiotics in them.
I hope that this helps.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I had incredibly bad blisters by Leon first time round. Not boasting, it's nothing to boast about, but I was Camino famous as the maniac who wouldn't stop walking despite the entirety of both soles of my feet being entirely blister, not to mention other ones elsewhere and losing 8 toenails, I've not seen anyone with worse. By that point taking a one day break, as I did, did absolutely nothing to help so if you're going to stop in the hope they heal a bit that might take more like three days.

For me Compeed didn't help, it just created areas of different friction which provoked even more blistering. All I could do was banage the feet as well as I could (having cleaned them) and hobble on with the help of ibuprofen (see recent threads for pros and cons of prolonged consumption). Also you may find that because of your blister you change the way you walk and this may create friction elsewhere and unfortunately more blisters. I'd just suggest trying to keep your feet as well ventilated as possible with regular sock changes.

After all that negative, the good news is that after finishing my feet healed fairly quickly and the pride I had in finishing despite the pain was incredible.

Good luck and Buen Camino,

Rob.

View attachment 44769
I haven't read the entire thread but here is an idea for when you start to walk and if it is not completely healed.
Make a doughnut type thing to go around the blistered area. This raises the level per your foot and so you are not walking directly on the blister but on the "doughnut". Hope that makes sense. I used what we call "moleskin" in the USA. Not sure it is readily available there. I had some that I brought with me.

I haven't read the entire thread but here is an idea for when you start to walk and if it is not completely healed.
Make a doughnut type thing to go around the blistered area. This raises the level per your foot and so you are not walking directly on the blister but on the "doughnut". Hope that makes sense. I used what we call "moleskin" in the USA. Not sure it is readily available there. I had some that I brought with me.
I just finished the Camino 3 weeks ago and did this exact thing: a doughnut shaped moleskin around a big blister. It takes the direct pressure off the blister. If you are concerned about infection - I agree that getting it looked at sounds very prudent.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
As you rest is best, but if the skin still intact and providing is NO INFECTION cut a smal very small v into the skin inject iodine solution and patted dry cover the blister with a little antiB and dress with gausse, using Leuko tape or duck tape, wrap it ( best to look it up online on how to wrap it ) you should be good to go.to speed up healing use a hair dryer whenever possible. God Bless and fast healing

Zzotte

Thank you very much all the answers. I took a rest day, only 12km to the next city, because i really want to progress forward a little bit. I visited a pharmacy too and bought some cream for anty infection and faster healing. I always keep it clean and bandage it. Today i walked 27km with no problem whatsoever. Thx again, and Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The OP has already dealt with her blisters, and many of the posts have been on target regarding treatment. The method of treating a blister in a post by arturo with the video from NOLS, provides relevant advice which is still among the best practices for blister treatment. Posts made by Morgan and Andrea also contained good information,

Let me summarize the 'best practices' for blister treatment. 1.This assumes a new blister (discovered during a walk or at the end of a day) whether it is intact or 'deroofed'. 2. The individual or attending samaritans are comfortable and willing to do treatment. If a pilgrim decides to seek professional help -- whether it is needed of not -- the 'patient' decides what assistance makes them less anxious and more secure. 3. Beyond those stipulations, self-treatment of a blister is fairly straight forward.

There are two broad levels of hygiene for wound care. This is a very broad generalization for the purpose of illustration.

1. Sterile field. This level of hygiene is required for tertiary treatment of an open body cavity or for the final 'cleaning' and repair of open tissue wounds requiring sutures. This level of hygiene is primarily done in a medical facility. If one is providing first aid treatment in the field to someone with a wound requiring the above level of hygiene, the first and primary concern is with stabilizing the patient and controlling bleeding, not achieving a sterile field of treatment. Maintaining personal protection from body fluids will be more relevant than trying to keep first aid treatment 'clean'. The medical facility will deal with the potential for infections when they receive the patient.

2. Basic aseptic technique. This is a method to prevent pathogens from being introduced into a wound during routine care. It is based on handwashing, disinfection, and the proper application of a dressing to an open sore or wound where the skin layers are damaged. This level of hygiene can be achieved in the 'field' under most conditions, apart from situations of providing first aid to serious injuries while awaiting transport to a medical facility.

Blister treatment falls under hygiene level two. So, clean hands ( soap and water, or hand sanitizer, or rubbing alcohol, etc). All that needs to be done is to cleanse hands so that the level of potential pathogens is reduced to below the level which could cause infection to this type of wound.

Also, any product used to dress the blister should be clean as well. It doesn't have to be sterile, but should at least be in its protective packaging.
  1. If the blister still has it's 'roof', it is recommended to leave the 'roof' intact, but to drain the fluid. Needles are not the ideal tool, as the initial puncture can reseal later, allowing fluid to build up again. A disinfected tool (alcohol or flame from a lighter/match) which can create a slit at the base of the blister near the skin of the foot is best --- a pair of tiny scissors to snip a slit; a disposable scalpel blade or a hobby knife blade as part of a first aid kit.
  2. If the blister has 'deroofed', then trim off any skin tag which might flap back into the raw open wound.
Preparing the wound for dressing involves two steps.

1. Cleaning the wound by flushing away any debris away with clean water or a mild dilution of hydrogen peroxide. Pouring or squirting the wound is fine, but any dirt particles sticking to the wound MUST be cleared away.

2. A topical antibiotic ointment, not creme, is gently applied after the blister wound is dry. The ointment serves two purposes: it reduces any risk of infection and it prevents any dressing material from inadvertently adhering to the wound.

Blister Dressing

The primary issue is that whatever method of taping, adhering a pad, taping a covering over the pad, etc, getting it to stick and remain in place -- and not sweat or prematurely roll off or wear off -- can be a challenge. Here are a few strategies to help.

1. Use hand sanitizer or alcohol to clean the skin area, not the wound, to which the tape or dressing will be stuck to. Get as much dirt and body oils removed as is possible.

2. To the cleansed skin, apply a thin smear of Tincture of Benzoin. Do not put on the wound. This will multiply the holding power of the adhesive that is used.

3. When the adhesive is finally applied, rub the area of the tape or moleskin or compeed or etc... The idea is to create heat from the friction to allow the adhesive to warm and adhere better.

For dressing a blister, the NOLS video above does a good job of describing the methods which work best. For a blister with a roof, I like to place a hydrogel dressing, like Spenco, to the top of the blister and them use Leukotape P or Omnifix or etc... to affix the dressing in place. The hydrogel provides basic cushioning and additional protection, helping the tape to reduce additional damage to the wound.

For a deroofed blister, the addition of the ointment to the open wound is applied prior to the hydrogel being put into place. The hydrogels are package and designed to be sterile. Bandaging is done as previously described.

IF the blistered area, whether roofed or deroofed, is so tender it is uncomfortable to walk on as treated above, then remove the dressing and then redress the blister the same way as before, but with the addition of using the 'doughnut' padding as the NOLS video demonstrates.

Unless additional attention is needed, it is best to leave the dressing in place until the end of the day. Then, remove the dressing, recleanse the wound, shower, cleanse, apply ointment, and redress for evening activities. At bedtime, remove the dressing, recleanse and apply antibiotic ointment and wear a clean sock.

The next morning, carefully evaluate for any sign of infection, and apply ointment and redress the area for a new day of walking. If the wound looks worse, then think about taking at least a day off to let the wound do a bit of healing. Even a half-day off your feet can be of help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.