• Update: The images and attachemnets are now back, we are generating new thumbnails.... (this takes time with 20 years of photos). I know the notification icon gives an error. That error should be gone within an hour or two. Sorry again! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Have a look at this Camino Primitivo Guide made by one of our members.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Please pack toilet paper out

Anna Machial

Time of past OR future Camino
I cannot say enough about the beauty and cleanliness of the Primitivo. We took a garbage bag and gloves to pick up litter for a day but that wasn't needed until the Francis.
But - a number of times we would go off trail in isolated areas to 'use the facilities' and the chosen spot would be full of used toilet paper. Future pilgrims, please pack that out.
We each had a ziplock bag labelled 'dirty' in the outside pocket of our bags. We picked up after ourselves and emptied the bag at the first available garbage can. This is not hard to do.
In one place where we stopped for a break there was feces. There is no excuse for that. Waste can be dug in, covered with rocks, or picked up. We took doggy bags and a shovel for that purpose but never had to use them.
As a rule bars are close enough for washroom breaks but please go prepared just in case.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Anna I hope I am correct in saying you are preaching to the choir here.
And I want to bump this thread up so that 'people who just don't know' get the message: TP (not to mention 'other things') is more disgusting to others than it even is to you, so don't leave it around for the rest of us, OK!?!?
I wrote and erased a small diatribe...no need...suffice it to say I've seen places on the Camino (usually behind bushes immediately after a long stretch in the open) that are not much different from the open toilet areas in rural Indian village.
And I'm ashamed to say (as a woman myself) that it seems women are the worst offenders. So please...can we clean up our act?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I don't want to get the discution going again, if you carry a trowel to dig a hole I burn mine. No mess but you better dig the hole away from brush. Yes I know you don't want to burn down the place.... No I am not a pyro...
LOL! I know the poop/paper disposal question will simply not go away..

Funny thing is I just did my business before I left & never did have to use my burn method. There are plenty of public places if you don't get the squirts along the way...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Not only is this subject cussed and discussed frequently, but no one is going to change unless there are consequences, and consequences are nigh on impossible on the Camino. There are responsible potty goers and there are irresponsible ones, and I don't foresee that changing. :cool:

Most people are responsible or things would be a lot worse but educating and awareness doesn't hurt. I'm guessing that most people that left their TP thought it would biodegrade and no one would notice due to the isolation. I used to think that. It does but takes a long time and meanwhile 100s of people pass by in a year. Considering all the people there was very little TP but still unpleasant to see any. The more the word to 'pack out' gets around the better.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I don't want to get the discution going again, if you carry a trowel to dig a hole I burn mine. No mess but you better dig the hole away from brush. Yes I know you don't want to burn down the place.... No I am not a pyro...
LOL! I know the poop/paper disposal question will simply not go away..

Funny thing is I just did my business before I left & never did have to use my burn method. There are plenty of public places if you don't get the squirts along the way...

I completely agree with doing it before ye go but..... after flying into Northern Spain in 95 and seeing the fire damage during a bad drought I personally would never contemplate setting fire to anything out in the open again. If you dig it in deep enough then most of the time its going to be ok.... to do nothing at all is the worst.

Please do not burn your waste unless you really know what you are doing. The vegetation can get very dry and the law(s) for starting fires and damaging the countryside is severe here in Spain.
When I was in the army we dug holes and buried our waste. Yes it has to be reasonably deep. Sometimes rocky/stony subsoil makes this difficult to do.

I am picking up all kinds of rubbish as I walk the Camino Francés. As a rough guide I am getting a shopping bag of rubbish between villages or, about five bags full a day. Probably more than half is discarded tissues. It is a misconception that such waste used in the open will quickly decay. Here is a study that shows that it needs the right environment to breakdown http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15572078
If the.numbers travelling on the Camino continues th increase some serious response will have to be made rather than telling on do-gooders like myself. But what and by whom?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...
I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.