• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Please plan to stop in Navarrete 8 miles outside of Logrono

m2m4christ

Time of past OR future Camino
Spring 2023
Recommendation to stop in Navarette outside of Logrono. This town have the most amazing Cathedral and center square but the real gem is a little cafe called Bocatera Move and an attached brand new albergue that is clean and wonderful. The cafe owners are a husband and wife team that love the Camino and all pilgrims and just finished their own pilgrimage this year. They have two sons and all four of them did it together. She and her husband speak English and together they do all the cooking serving and cleaning and do it all with such love! Please stop in and say hello they will have the biggest warmest smile for you and the best food. She loves to to talk about the Camino and is so encouraging. You can find the Albergue online at Albergue touristico la Iglesia. It’s a nice way to break up a longer stage. You won’t be disappointed. Their property adjoins the cathedral and there are private rooms available. Enjoy!

39FB4D07-4BFA-4768-9832-F928F20279AA.jpeg9895A5A1-E36B-497D-9479-EFE1FF375346.jpegBD4C9C07-2C8A-4765-9F50-0FEA79B8CBD3.jpeg51F20873-0BA0-49DA-8399-3325539AFD68.jpegE48CB68F-6D88-4319-8A5D-805F1C3CD4B9.jpeg9D82D432-B759-4FE1-8EC3-F0C2A8408A5D.jpeg06091784-F021-4D60-939C-E5B852FDDA5E.jpeg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Been there! They were so busy, tables were needing cleaned and dishes taken to the kitchen. My husband and I were enjoying vino tinto when my husband jumped up and started cleaning tables and taking dishes to the kitchen. They told him as they were laughing to stop and that he didn’t need to do that..but he kept going! We got all the tables cleaned and dishes in the kitchen, they were so grateful, found it amusing, as did the other customers! They brought him out a shot of a ‘special’ alcohol. Can’t remember what it was. Such a great place. Spectacular cathedral, it was a surprise because it didn’t catch my eye much from the outside but open the doors and it was incredible. It was a great choice to stop there!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
This was the first place I stopped for a break on my initial Camino walk and the whole experience was so good I knew right then I was in love with the Camino. I stopped back again this September and the experience was just as good! The new owners had remodeled the inside since last time. Photos below are my coffees from 2017 and 2022 at their restaurant

DD3EBFE4-E498-45A7-83D3-27ADC900CE3C.jpegC8E64898-1E25-4881-8213-D7CAABF1296D.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Why does almost everyone misspell Navarrete?

In English we are used to words that end in ette, like barrette, cassette, cigarette, etc., hence it's common for English speakers to double the T instead of the R.
(I've fixed Navarrete in the title for easier searching)

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Staying in Navarrete in April, but a different albergue - Albergue la Casa del Peregrino.
Got to see the church last spring, but looking forward to spend more time there this year.

Last edited:
In English we are used to words that end in ette, like barrette, cassette, cigarette, etc., hence it's common for English speakers to double the T instead of the R.
(I've fixed Navarrete in the title for easier searching)
Guilty! And thinking about it, I assume it’s pronounced ay-tay?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Been there! They were so busy, tables were needing cleaned and dishes taken to the kitchen. My husband and I were enjoying vino tinto when my husband jumped up and started cleaning tables and taking dishes to the kitchen. They told him as they were laughing to stop and that he didn’t need to do that..but he kept going! We got all the tables cleaned and dishes in the kitchen, they were so grateful, found it amusing, as did the other customers! They brought him out a shot of a ‘special’ alcohol. Can’t remember what it was. Such a great place. Spectacular cathedral, it was a surprise because it didn’t catch my eye much from the outside but open the doors and it was incredible. It was a great choice to stop there!!
Perhaps the « special », was called aguardiente.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Albergue touristico la Iglesia
Many thanks for the recommendation! Just reserved the last room in Albergue touristico La Iglesia for May 5. Looking forward to it!
Recommendation to stop in Navarette outside of Logrono. This town have the most amazing Cathedral and center square but the real gem is a little cafe called Bocatera Move and an attached brand new albergue that is clean and wonderful. The cafe owners are a husband and wife team that love the Camino and all pilgrims and just finished their own pilgrimage this year. They have two sons and all four of them did it together. She and her husband speak English and together they do all the cooking serving and cleaning and do it all with such love! Please stop in and say hello they will have the biggest warmest smile for you and the best food. She loves to to talk about the Camino and is so encouraging. You can find the Albergue online at Albergue touristico la Iglesia. It’s a nice way to break up a longer stage. You won’t be disappointed. Their property adjoins the cathedral and there are private rooms available. Enjoy!

View attachment 142568View attachment 142569View attachment 142570View attachment 142571View attachment 142572View attachment 142573View attachment 142574

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
One of my favorite towns...

I was captivated by the church's retablo on my first visit and I still believe it to be one of the best in the world. On a second visit with my late Camigo, who was far more trained in such things, his jaw dropped when I turned on the lights with a euro coin....and then another so he could capture the whole view.

His comment after he caught his breath? "Churches in Rome and Naples have NOTHING on this!"

In his journal, he captured this sweet memory from when we were preparing to leave in search of food and refreshments.

"Late yesterday afternoon we were touring the church in Navarette and it appeared the priest had just wrapped up a Confirmation class and let his students out of the classroom and through the church. Three girls, maybe 11 or 12, approached us and announced, “we speak English.” A short conversation ensued and the girls were a delight."

I have no idea if I will ever see it again but that town has a table reserved in the back room of my memory, forever.

B

View attachment 142568View attachment 142569View attachment 142570View attachment 142571View attachment 142572View attachment 142573View attachment 142574
If you really want to treat yourself, try FyA vineyard a couple of miles out of town. Beautiful facility. As we learned, Navarette has a long history of clay earthenware. The vineyard uses huge clay jars as part of their wine aging process. They also have a huge museum of earthenware. Restaurant on site, vineyard tours, wine tasting. Beautiful and comfortable rooms.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
One of my favorite towns...

I was captivated by the church's retablo on my first visit and I still believe it to be one of the best in the world. On a second visit with my late Camigo, who was far more trained in such things, his jaw dropped when I turned on the lights with a euro coin....and then another so he could capture the whole view.

His comment after he caught his breath? "Churches in Rome and Naples have NOTHING on this!"

In his journal, he captured this sweet memory from when we were preparing to leave in search of food and refreshments.

"Late yesterday afternoon we were touring the church in Navarette and it appeared the priest had just wrapped up a Confirmation class and let his students out of the classroom and through the church. Three girls, maybe 11 or 12, approached us and announced, “we speak English.” A short conversation ensued and the girls were a delight."

I have no idea if I will ever see it again but that town has a table reserved in the back room of my memory, forever.

B
Hola

Exactly what I experienced a cold February on my first Camino.
As I walked into Navarette the church bells rang and I stopped at the church for mass.
When I entered the church I was blown away by the alter piece or rather floor to wall wood carvings..
It is an absolute masterpiece which I have not seen the like in similar small cities on any Camino.
Every time I pass the town I stop and am reminded of my first walk and how things has changed for me.
For this I am grateful and it is part of my returning to walk the Caminos.

Lettinggo

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have walked the Frances 4 times and I never miss Navarette, I always try and stay in St. Ignatius of Loyola family home. Great cellar there where they had a tunnel escape if needed. St Ignatius founded the Jesuits,

You're the first to spell 'Bocateria' correctly.
Well, actually, it’s ‘Bocatería’ but few hispanohablantes would care. There are words where the accent mark changes the meaning but this is not one of them. However, if nitpicking spelling is authorized, touristico→turístico
(And please never wish anyone a "prospero ano nuevo")

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Is this near Bar Deportivo? THAT was the best meal we had on our Camino in 2015. I am hoping Bar Deportivo is still open as it was absolutely fabulous.

You could not choose a better place to stop. If you go into the bar in the square down on the main road, be wary of the lady if she asks if you like your tapas spicy. I said yes and it near burnt the mouth of me. I went back in for another beer and she laughed at me as she produced a glass of milk she had waiting for me. Cured the burning and gave me another great memory

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back