• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Please rate my packing list

JamieCam

Time of past OR future Camino
Pamplona to SdC - 23 May 2017
I'll be walking the Camino Frances starting in Pamplona on 22 May 2017 and ending in Santiago. I'm a 26 y/o female who weighs 61kg and I have a Deuter Futura SL 30L pack. I know this pack is a bit heavy but it fits me perfectly and it's so comfortable that I'm willing to sacrifice that weight. I've pasted my packing list below and would love some feedback or any tips you wise peregrinos may have to offer :)

Essentials - clothes & pack

Backpack
Sleeping bag liner
Bag organizers
Scarf (to use as towel/sarong/head scarf in heat, etc
Shoes - light, trail running
Shorts
Leggings
Running t-shirt (moisture wicking)
Loose tank top
Long sleeved top (button up)
Loose fitting pants for evenings/while washing
Fleece
Rain jacket
Thick socks x3
Liner socks x3
Underwear x3
Dress for evenings
Flip flops
Sports bra x2

Toiletries

Shampoo bar in tin - clothes, body, hair
Conditioner bar in tin
Toothbrush - from plane?
Toothpaste
Face cream
Sunblock
Travel size hairbrush
Disposabe razor - buy at the airport
Nail file
TP in ziplock

First aid kit
Voltaren
Vaseline med sized
Anti-inflammatories
Personal medication (I have non-seizure epilepsy)
Plasters
Small sewing kit
(Will buy more as needed while there)

Accessories
Sunglasses & case
Waterproof phone pouch
Mini phone tripod
Clothes pegs
Ziplock baggies - 1x large, 3x medium
Journal
Pen
Spork
Knife
Extra shoelaces
Phone/charger
Earphones
Ear plugs
Sling bag
Passport
Credentials
Plane tickets & other docs
Solar light keyring
Headlamp
500ml water bottles x2
Duct tape
Small fold up bag for keeping clothes when showering
Money belt

Luxury items

Inflatable pillow (folds really small)
Hat - not sure if necessary if I use a scarf?

I want to use trekking poles but I plan on taking my pack as carry-on luggage so won't be able to take them with me. Can I get a walking stick while I'm there?

Side note: I haven't packed everything in my bag yet, I'm still just trying to figure out what I need in a draft list.

Thanks!

EDIT: The spork and knife are plastic.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Looks great .

Here are some of my thoughts.

For the afternoon / evening : or the loose pants or the dress. You have the leggings for under dress if it gets somewhat colder. So you could leave the second trousers at home.

No headlamp IMHO but just the light keyring. Enough for manoeuvring to the toilet in the night or arrange your backpack in the morning.

I would advise to take a hat...most preferably a wide rimmed one...protection also for your neck.

Regarding medication : only the smallest amount. I guess you will start in Saint Jean so after some days you will reach Pamplona where you can stock up on more necessities.

Duct tape and clothes pegs : not needed. Instead I would take some clothes pins with me. Better for attaching something. The pegs are not so sturdy as the pins. Duct tape you can buy en route if needed.

No extra shoelaces. Attach new ones when you leave. You can buy the extra in Spain.

Happy preparations.

Last edited:
Looks great .

Here are some of my thoughts.

For the afternoon / evening : or the loose pants or the dress. You have the leggings for under dress if it gets somewhat colder. So you could leave the second trousers at home.

No headlamp IMHO but just the light keyring. Enough for manoeuvring to the toilet in the night or arrange your backpack in the morning.

I would advise to take a hat...most preferably a wide rimmed one...protection also for your neck.

Regarding medication : only the smallest amount. I guess you will start in Saint Jean so after some days you will reach Pamplona where you can stock up on more necessities.

Duct tape and clothes pegs : not needed. Instead I would take some clothes pins with me. Better for attaching something. The pegs are not so sturdy as the pegs. Duct tape you can buy en route if needed.

No extra shoelaces. Attach new ones when you leave. You can buy the extra in Spain.

Happy preparations.

Thank you, that's very helpful :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
SabineP has provided many helpful comments re your list. However
while any prescription medicine should be brought from home do also bring a copy of the prescription in case an additional supply is needed. If by chance you wear glasses a copy of that prescription can be VERY handy in case of breakage on route.

Happy packing and Buen camino .

SabineP has provided many helpful comments re your list. However
while any prescription medicine should be brought from home do also bring a copy of the prescription in case an additional supply is needed. If by chance you wear glasses a copy of that prescription can be VERY handy in case of breakage on route.

Happy packing and Buen camino .

Thanks, I'll be sure to remember that.

You won't be able to take a knife if you are taking your pack as carry-on.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You won't be able to take a knife if you are taking your pack as carry-on.

I should have specified that it's plastic. That's ok to take in carry-on, right?

Last edited:
I should have specified that it's plastic. That's ok to take in carry-on, right?
It should be, provided your national air safety regulator is aligned with the TSA rules (here).

My take on prescription medication is to bring enough for the duration of your travels, in its original packaging and both the script and a letter from your doctor explaining why it has been prescribed. Depending on the medication, you might want to check whether or not it needs to be declared on arrival.

Other medications are generally readily available in pharmacies, although you might find they have different branding and you will find it easier if you know the generic drug name, not just a trade name.

When I went last September I left my headlamp at home to save the weight, that was a mistake. I had no idea it wouldn't get light out until 8:00 in the morning. I found myself leaving usually around 6:30 as it was pretty hard to sleep when people start getting up at 5:00 and shuffling around. Maybe in the Spring it gets light earlier? I found myself stumbling around in the dark with a tiny pen light. And the thick socks I brought were also a waste of pack space, my feet swelled and by the end I could only wear the thinnest of socks. Next time I will bring big shoes.
upload_2017-1-14_6-34-18.png

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It may be a good idea to have your physician write a brief summary of your medical history. Reduce it down to credit card size, laminate it and attach inside your governmental passport. Should there be an emergency, it would be useful to the medical staff to have allergies, medications, past history, diagnosis and contact information for your current care provider.

PS: Nice packing list but just take a toothbrush and razor from home!

I'm afraid you may get in trouble with the nail file and the plastic knife, both of which we have had confiscated at the airport in the past.

I would definitely add a head torch, otherwise your list looks great.

As to sunrise, we were amazed at how late the sun comes up even in late June, around 7.15 ish.

Buen Camino

I also use a Deuter backpack (34L) and while it is heavier than the Osprey or Gregory or others, it fits me best. I love my pack. And no problems as carry on when flying.

I agree with @SabineP, take the dress and leggings and leave the loose fitting pants at home.

Definitely bring a hat with brim.

Forget the clothes pegs and bring a few large safety pins.

I personally prefer the headlamp and would leave the solar light key ring. I like hands free.

Follow your gut and remember you can buy anything you need in Spain so don't over pack or over think it. Enjoy this exciting time of preparation and anticipation. Buen camino.

When I went last September I left my headlamp at home to save the weight, that was a mistake. I had no idea it wouldn't get light out until 8:00 in the morning. I found myself leaving usually around 6:30 as it was pretty hard to sleep when people start getting up at 5:00 and shuffling around. Maybe in the Spring it gets light earlier? I found myself stumbling around in the dark with a tiny pen light. And the thick socks I brought were also a waste of pack space, my feet swelled and by the end I could only wear the thinnest of socks. Next time I will bring big shoes.
View attachment 31166
I agree with bringing a headlamp. I threw a cheap one in my pack at the last minute. There were many days that I started walking before it was light out.

Follow your gut and remember you can buy anything you need in Spain so don't over pack or over think it. Enjoy this exciting time of preparation and anticipation. Buen camino.
In 2014 in Madrid I never could find clothing large enough for me. (I was looking for a skirt) I was about 72kg and am 162.5cm. Of course I don't like wearing skin tight clothing but...

Your packing list looks good to me. I see no need for changing anything. Remember too, if you do really need something else while walking the Camino, you will probably be able to find it there at a shop.
By all means carry the hat. Almost a necessity on bright, sunny days.
I carried a plastic spork with me on my last Camino in my pack which I carried on the plane. No problems. If the knife is plastic, I doubt if it will be a problem, and if it is, no big deal. Just buy another one when you get to Pamplona. Lot's of shops there you can get another one. Also you can buy walking sticks there, or trekking poles.
The Camino Frances is far from being a hike in the traditional sense, nor is it a walk through undeveloped wilderness. The stretches of it through dense woodland and uninhabited farmland are few and short. It's simply a series of day walks between villages, towns and a few larger cities.
cheers and ultreia

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'll be walking the Camino Frances starting in Pamplona on 22 May 2017 and ending in Santiago. I'm a 26 y/o female who weighs 61kg and I have a Deuter Futura SL 30L pack. I know this pack is a bit heavy but it fits me perfectly and it's so comfortable that I'm willing to sacrifice that weight. I've pasted my packing list below and would love some feedback or any tips you wise peregrinos may have to offer :)

Backpack
Sleeping bag liner
Bag organizers
Shorts
Leggings
Loose tank top
Fleece
Rain jacket
Thick socks x3
Liner socks x3
Underwear x3
Dress for evenings
Flip flops
Sports bra x2

Toiletries

Conditioner bar in tin
Toothbrush - from plane?
Toothpaste
Face cream
Sunblock
Travel size hairbrush
Nail file
TP in ziplock

First aid kit
Voltaren
Vaseline med sized
Anti-inflammatories
Plasters
Small sewing kit

Accessories
Sunglasses & case
Waterproof phone pouch
Mini phone tripod
Clothes pegs
Journal
Pen
Spork
Knife
Extra shoelaces
Phone/charger
Earphones
Ear plugs
Sling bag
Passport
Credentials
Solar light keyring
Headlamp
500ml water bottles x2
Duct tape
Money belt

Luxury items

I want to use trekking poles but I plan on taking my pack as carry-on luggage so won't be able to take them with me. Can I get a walking stick while I'm there?

Side note: I haven't packed everything in my bag yet, I'm still just trying to figure out what I need in a draft list.

Thanks!

Hi there
You have a good start. I did the route two years ago and feel I packed almost perfectly. So I will share.
Hiking poles, not stick, are super important. they take a tremendous amount of weight off your hips and knees which, over the course of the walk, will save your body. My poles were super lightweight (Leki) and folded small enough to fit inside my pack. If you can't do this, buy a cheap big suitcase from a used clothing place and put your backpack in it. Check the bag, which will protect your backpack then throw the suitcase away when you get where you're going.
Other things to consider.
I see you are the sock liner kind of person, who might also use vaseline and duct tape. Some have luck with this system. I chose great socks (Darn Tough) and took three pairs. If your shoes fit properly, you shouldn't need sock liners. And never Vaseline, which squishes down the fibres of your socks making them less effective. Change your socks at noon after airing out your feet and you should be fine. I used iodine and Compeed, like a second skin, on blisters after draining them with a needle and that worked well for me.
I took only one pair of shorts and one pair of lightweight long pants. Two shirts. Wash one set of clothes when you arrive and put on your second set. The first set will dry while you are having a beer. Then sleep in your shirt and away you go the next day. No dress. No leggings. Weight in your pack is your enemy!
Yes to a baseball style cap to protect your face from sun. No need for a big brimmed hat. Also, a HUGE recommendation to carry a light headlamp. It is my one regret. I only hat a tiny right to see by. When you hit the Meseta, many people choose to start walking in the early hours to beat the heat. A headlamp is critical! Can't stress this enough.
A last piece of advice is to make sure to put a ton of sunscreen on your left calf, which will definitely become sunburned because of the direction you'll be walking. You can often recognize camino walkers because of the sunburned left leg.
I hope this helps.
So yes to proper hiking poles
Yes to headlamp
Yes to hat
Then really look at the clothing you are bringing. I think it's too much.
Buen Camino

I'm afraid you may get in trouble with the nail file and the plastic knife, both of which we have had confiscated at the airport in the past.

I would definitely add a head torch, otherwise your list looks great.

As to sunrise, we were amazed at how late the sun comes up even in late June, around 7.15 ish.

Buen Camino

She is probably talking about a woman's nail file (emory board) which is no problem. You refer to those metal ones with the pointy ends.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Maybe consider (if you back pack doesnt have one built in?) a rain cover. I use a clip on one from decathalon. And compeed. Oh and yes to the wide brim hat and headlamp. Are the water bottles metal or heavy duty plastic ? If so I wouldn't take them, I would be just buy mineral water in Spain, you can always refill the bottles and replace when you want. Maybe a portable battery you can leave charging rather having to leave a phone alone etc.

Maybe consider (if you back pack doesnt have one built in?) a rain cover. I use a clip on one from decathalon. And compeed. Oh and yes to the wide brim hat and headlamp. Are the water bottles metal or heavy duty plastic ? If so I wouldn't take them, I would be just buy mineral water in Spain, you can always refill the bottles and replace when you want. Maybe a portable battery you can leave charging rather having to leave a phone alone etc.
Good point. That's what I always did. Bought two bottles of water in SJPdP and refilled them all the way to Santiago whereupon they met their fate in a bin.
I figured not bringing water bottles with me reduced my pack size by just that much, making it more carry-on compliant. Besides, you don't need special bottles to haul water in anyway.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I think your packing list looks like a great start. I would change the sports bras for regular bras, as the sports bras are slower to dry. I would also leave leggings and dress behind and plan to take a lightweight wrinkle free skirt to wear to church and in the evenings. (Found at a consignment shop for $3). Wide brim hat is a must for back of the neck and left side if face. I think 2 pairs of each sock and undies will be enough.

Backpack
Sleeping bag liner
Bag organizers
Shorts
Leggings
Loose tank top
Fleece
Rain jacket
Thick socks x3
Liner socks x3
Underwear x3
Dress for evenings
Flip flops
Sports bra x2

Toiletries

Conditioner bar in tin
Toothbrush - from plane?
Toothpaste
Face cream
Sunblock
Travel size hairbrush
Nail file
TP in ziplock

First aid kit
Voltaren
Vaseline med sized
Anti-inflammatories
Plasters
Small sewing kit

Accessories
Sunglasses & case
Waterproof phone pouch
Mini phone tripod
Clothes pegs
Journal
Pen
Spork
Knife
Extra shoelaces
Phone/charger
Earphones
Ear plugs
Sling bag
Passport
Credentials
Solar light keyring
Headlamp
500ml water bottles x2
Duct tape
Money belt

Luxury items

Thanks!

Well thought out list. I prefer to check my bag in because I take my poles and pocket knife. I made a nylon duffel bag to put my pack in. I slip it on at the airport when I check in and put it in my pack when I pick it up at baggage claim.. It also protects my straps from the baggage apes.

I carry 20 feet of 325 nylon cord. You can use it for clothesline, shoe laces, belt, emergency pack repairs, lots of uses and weights zip. Leave the clothes pins, take large safety pins. I got brass ones at a fabric store. Take a head lamp, leave the solar light. You will start walking before dawn. I carry a head lamp with clear and red lights and a small AA size flash attached to the front of my pack. Hat, you will need a hat! One with a broad brim not a ball cap.

Its a good bet that you will have walking companions after a few days. You might consider letting them know what not to do in the event you have a seizure.

Buen Camino

Happy Trails

I think your packing list looks good, maybe I would tweak a bit, but it looks good and it looks light. Have you weighed it? I would bring a hat for sure, and I used a buff everyday - as a sweatband, hat, neck gaiter (I also had a scarf). I walk/hike in a skirt and recommend you consider it along with a very lightweight top instead of the dress and loose tank. Skirt and top would be more versatile, I think. As I looked at your list of clothing, I looked to see what kind of layering and what kind of versatility each piece brings to the whole. You will get/got many opinions on the forum re: kinds of socks, shoes, packs, pants are best; bring sleep clothes, sleep in your tomorrow clothes, etc., etc. I suggest you take all into consideration, but remember only you can know what works for you. To figure that out, put what you think you will bring on the trip into your pack and on your back and walk with it. Rinse and repeat. Wear the items you will be bringing, if the weather allows. If you can, try to live in that list for a day or two or three and see how it feels on long walks, in the evenings, in bed. Does your underwear ride up? Do you get a wedgie from the shorts? Wash the items you wore by hand at night. Are they dry in the morning? Does the fabric stink even after you wash it? Is it comfortable? How much does it all weigh? Try it all out before hand and you will know what works for you and what doesn't. Best wishes.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Oh, I wouldn't check your backpack unless you are OK with a possible delay. I met a woman who was in Pamplona for the start of her Camino and her backpack was in parts unknown. She had to delay her start to wait for the airline to find it and then forward it on. It took a few days. The albergue owner lent her clothes, towel, blankets, etc. but it was super stressful for her. That scenario is not likely, but possible.

I did the route two years ago and feel I packed almost perfectly.
That's good to hear, but there are many alternatives for some of the options that you recommend.

If your shoes fit properly, you shouldn't need sock liners.
This doesn't make sense to me. Using liner socks is definitely not about footwear fit. They are a way of reducing friction by introducing another layer, normally with a finer knit and smoother finish than normal hiking socks. Using liner socks is a useful part of any blister prophylaxis regime.

I used iodine and Compeed, like a second skin, on blisters after draining them with a needle and that worked well for me.
Having to treat blisters indicates that you didn't have a very effective blister prophylaxis regime at all, which makes me wonder about your earlier recommendation not to use liner socks.

In addition, draining blisters is not recommended as the primary method of blister treatment by any competent medical/first aid authority. Certainly if you have let the blister get so large that it cannot be treated adequately by any other more conservative approach, it might be the only option. But by far the best option is to ensure that you don't get the blisters in the first place. After that it would be earliest possible treatment of hot spots before they form blisters.

Yes to a baseball style cap to protect your face from sun. No need for a big brimmed hat.
A broad brimmed hat will provide general protection of the face, ears and back of the neck - all important areas to protect from the sun. You will still need to think about using sunscreen as well. Depending on the orientation of the sun, a baseball cap won't protect very much at all.

A headlamp is critical!
Not really. There are plenty of other options around, including not walking in the dark of the morning.

Only things I suggest are the two foot care products I brought: Gold Bond Medicated Powder and Dr Scholls Foot Spray.

Keep your feet happy and everything else is a breeze. The majority of conversations the first couple weeks revolves around how poor people's feet are doing and how much XXX albergue was awful.

Of the hundred or so people I met that I got to know I don't think anyone got away without some foot issue.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Funny when you add up each item to realize that you're carrying nearly 100 different things.

Your list looks good to me, and is very similar to mine. A couple luxury items I like to carry are:
A quick-dry wash cloth mop my brow
A sweatband
Wet wipes (or travel size baby wipes)

The only things I would leave would be the blow up pillow most places have them. The places I needed a pillow I just used my fleece. no worry about razors you can find all of that stuff as you move along. I used hand soap for shaving. What I did find hard to find was small travel sized deodorant. So pack 2. I packed just 1 500ml water bottle. Many just buy water bottles & refill. But you will see some good warm days so you will need to carry & refill often..
Buen Camino
Keith

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I would be just buy mineral water in Spain, you can always refill the bottles and replace when you want.
The still mineral water bottles are sometimes very flimsy and may crack eventually. It might be worth buying carbonated water the first time as the bottles tend to be more sturdy. Or if you are not too fussy you can always ferret around in litter bins, recover a couple of plastic Coke bottles and rinse them out. Lightweight but good and solid.

The still mineral water bottles are sometimes very flimsy and may crack eventually. It might be worth buying carbonated water the first time as the bottles tend to be more sturdy. Or if you are not too fussy you can always ferret around in litter bins, recover a couple of plastic Coke bottles and rinse them out. Lightweight but good and solid.
Good point and true. My last CF I used Coke bottles instead, and they are much more durable than the average water bottle and the cap seals better. Better choice for hauling and reusing all the way to SDC.

Backpack--comfort is essential
Sleeping bag liner--small silk=ideal (REI has them)
Bag organizers---light weight and thin=ideal
Scarf (to use as towel/sarong/head scarf in heat, etc--1 bandana is useful
Shoes - light, trail running--I recommend 2 pairs (one for walking, one for evening wear--I used Keen for walking and crocks for after walk)
Shorts (zipper kind that can become long pants)
Leggings (esp if silk or merino wool)
Loose tank top
Fleece
Rain jacket--+ very thin rain paints and light gaiters will completely dry during downpours; ideal if rain jacket is light, sturdy with hood.
Thick socks x3 (sounds like a lot of socks--I took 1 sock liner, 1 thin pair and one thicker pair; foot size changes during the walk and different thickness of socks help accommodate shoe fit. I started with being able to where three pairs in my shoes then reduced as feet swelled)
Liner socks x3
Underwear x3--two quick dry are enough
Dress for evenings (I had two outfits--one for hiking and one for evening; khaki hiking pants with zipoff bottoms to become shorts and black hiking pants for evening.
Flip flops (I used crocks for everything after hiking)
Sports bra x2

Toiletries

Shampoo bar in tin - clothes, body, hair--this worked well for me
Conditioner bar in tin--I skipped this
Toothbrush - from plane?--find one before leaving then you know you have it
Toothpaste--I put toothpaste in a small plastic container from REI--about the size of a silver dollar and 3/4 of an inch tall.
Face cream (combine face cream and sunblock will eliminate a little)
Sunblock
Travel size hairbrush--or just a comb
Nail file--small swiss army knife has one on it
TP in ziplock

First aid kit
Voltaren
Vaseline med sized--I put Vaseline in a pop top container from REI about the size of silver dollar and 1.25 inches tall. Just used it on my feet everyday and had plenty)
Anti-inflammatories
Plasters
Small sewing kit

Accessories
Sunglasses & case
Waterproof phone pouch
Mini phone tripod (you really think you will need a tripod?)
Clothes pegs --I didn't find these necessary
Journal (
Pen
Spork
Knife (use the one on small pocket knife)
Extra shoelaces
Phone/charger
Earphones
Ear plugs
Sling bag
Passport
Credentials
Solar light keyring
Headlamp (smallest one REI offers is light)
500ml water bottles x2 (I ended up just refilling plastic water bottles
Duct tape (wrap a length around your hiking poles and they can be your dispenser)
Small fold up bag for keeping clothes when showering (not necessary)
Money belt (I used one around my neck that my passport fit into)

Luxury items

Hat - not sure if necessary if I use a scarf? (You can buy a hat over there if you find it necessary)

I want to use trekking poles but I plan on taking my pack as carry-on luggage so won't be able to take them with me. Can I get a walking stick while I'm there? Yes, you can buy while there but you want to have a very good light pair--perhaps you could pack yours in a tube and check them through luggage?

Thanks!

Weight is essential--keep things light. My pack weighed 14 pounds packed and I had all I needed and more. You can do it. A back pack liner was essential for me. Summit makes one that is completely water proof and lines the entire bag. I highly recommend using one and then packing everything inside in additional thin waterproof baggies and bags. It is also helpful to have Bierley's Camino book (tear out the sections you will need) Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Follow your gut and remember you can buy anything you need in Spain.
This has got to be the statement that keeps coming up that gets my blood boiling, perhaps just after the one about not havong to worry about bed bugs.

The places the Camino takes you through, and this is most if not all Caminos, are rural. Tiny villages and towns, whose citizens buy their stuff in the cities miles away. Grocery store? Not always, not even a "tiendita". Clothes? Forget about it unless you are in Pamplona, Logrono, Burgos, Leon, Astorga. Sleeping bags? Same thing.

Over 5 Caminos, or is it 6 now?, I have needed to buy a sleeping bag once, and a sheet another. Three days before I could find one. And that is just grabbing what was available, not getting to pick something I liked and would have purchased at home.

If you are paritcularly tall or round, you don't stand a chance.

Just finished the chick-lit novel about the Frances. The main caracter needs to find femine hygene pads and the only ones she finds are huge: she takes scissors to them. (She did say that some used them for their feet, as @Kanga has suggested for blisters, and that impressed me coming from this chick-lit novel). Tampons? Sorry... out of luck as well.

So please, don't pack randomly, take the time to think, edit and yes add here and there, because after all it is not everybody else's job to supply you because you were careless and wanted to walk ultra light.

If your shoes fit properly, you shouldn't need sock liners. And never Vaseline, which squishes down the fibres of your socks making them less effective. Change your socks at noon after airing out your feet and you should be fine. I used iodine and Compeed, like a second skin, on blisters after draining them with a needle and that worked well for me.
Agreed on the sock liners: all the accomplish is bunching up at the bottom of your feet.

Could not disagree more on the use of Compeed on an already formed blister. Apply it only on a hot spot. Compeeds stick on 100% of theor surface, so directly on the loose, or raw, skin.

Vaseline, Vick's Vapour Rub do the job. I now carry Pro Shield Plus which can also be used for the groin and under the bra rims.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Let's have some fun!

Basic rule: you need two (2) bottoms, and three (3) light tops, plus, and some say it's too much, something for sleep. Wear one when you wash one. So pick from shorts, leggings, pants, dress. I say three light tops so you can have two short sleeve and one long sleeve. But you have one no sleeve in the mix which you will not wear under a backpack, therefor is not useful. Regular bras: not a lot of jumping jacks involved in the Camino.

Toothbrush from plane? Only if flying 1st or Business Class. Razor: why at all? I would add an anti-chaffing product for high rub areas: groin, bra, feet.

Voltaren is an anti-inflamatory. You may want to consider using Voltaren in combo with Ibuprofen.

No tripod, safety pins instead of clips, no journal, no money belt (too easy to leave behind, use clothes pockets and have on you 100% of the time).

Did I see the smart phone and charger with Europlug?

Basic rule: you need two (2) bottoms, and three (3) light tops, plus, and some say it's too much, something for sleep. Wear one when you wash one. So pick from shorts, leggings, pants, dress. I say three light tops so you can have two short sleeve and one long sleeve. But you have one no sleeve in the mix which you will not wear under a backpack, therefor is not useful. Regular bras: not a lot of jumping jacks involved in the Camino.
Even more basic - clothes you are wearing, sleeping bag with liner to use as a wraparound while you shower and do your laundry, towel and toiletries. Spare socks but no spare underwear. I shared a room with such a pilgrim at Atapuerca in 2010. After doing his laundry he got into his sleeping bag and stayed there for a couple of hours before checking whether his things were dry so he could go out. I think he had a light fleece and a rain jacket as well, but it certainly wasn't any more than that.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Even more basic - clothes you are wearing, sleeping bag with liner to use as a wraparound while you shower and do your laundry, towel and toiletries. Spare socks but no spare underwear. I shared a room with such a pilgrim at Atapuerca in 2010. After doing his laundry he got into his sleeping bag and stayed there for a couple of hours before checking whether his things were dry so he could go out. I think he had a light fleece and a rain jacket as well, but it certainly wasn't any more than that.
Wow!

Let's have some fun!

Toothbrush from plane? Only if flying 1st or Business Class. Razor: why at all? I would add an anti-chaffing product for high rub areas: groin, bra, feet.

Voltaren is an anti-inflamatory. You may want to consider using Voltaren in combo with Ibuprofen.

No tripod, safety pins instead of clips, no journal, no money belt (too easy to leave behind, use clothes pockets and have on you 100% of the time).

Did I see the smart phone and charger with Europlug?
Voltaren and ibuprofen should not be used together. In sequence perhaps, but not together. They are in the same drug class and can affect kidney function.

Voltaren and ibuprofen should not be used together. In sequence perhaps, but not together. They are in the same drug class and can affect kidney function.
Advil in the morning, voltaren at night is my combo, but I am not medically trained and will get in teouble here with the mods for saying this.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

I meant to say that I want to take Voltaren gel to apply topically.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I would still consult my doctor about this. Even applied topically, I think that Voltaren can enter the bloodstream.
It relies on being absorbed for its topical anti-inflammatory effect.

In any case, even for over-the-counter medications, I agree about seeking advice from a qualified medical practitioner or pharmacist if you need to consider any form of medication regime with two or more drugs.

This has got to be the statement that keeps coming up that gets my blood boiling, perhaps just after the one about not havong to worry about bed bugs.

The places the Camino takes you through, and this is most if not all Caminos, are rural. Tiny villages and towns, whose citizens buy their stuff in the cities miles away. Grocery store? Not always, not even a "tiendita". Clothes? Forget about it unless you are in Pamplona, Logrono, Burgos, Leon, Astorga. Sleeping bags? Same thing.

Yikes, I did not mean to upset you or to imply that anything one needs on camino is available at the exact moment it is needed.
The camino frances is similar to being at home where I must walk, or drive, or take a taxi, or a bus for several miles to get food, even more miles for medical care, and further for outdoor equipment. One can do the same on the camino frances.

My post was intended to help relieve some packing stress for @JamieCam. Her packing list is very thorough eliciting only minor suggestions. I only hoped to suggest she enjoy the packing process. :)

If you are paritcularly tall or round, you don't stand a chance.

I really can't comment on this statement. I'll leave it to others who have experience to respond.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Advil in the morning, voltaren at night is my combo, but I am not medically trained and will get in teouble here with the mods for saying this.

In general you will be ok. And you know what you personally can handle regarding meds. But like others here already said best to ask professional advice in Spain when taking new meds.
Like I said in other threads : some painkillers have higher dosages than in other countries.
Or like I recently discovered with my new medication : lesser effect if you combine it within a certain period of time with a general painkiller.
So what works for one person might not work for someone else.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.