• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Please recommend Albergues

joeandmiki

Time of past OR future Camino
booked Airplane and will start on May 16, 2018
My wife and I will walk this May from SJPP to Burgos. We did walk Camino de Santiago from Leon to Santiago de Compostella last September and October.

Would you recommend Your albergues as follows:
Zubiri
Pamplona
Puente la Reina
Estella
Los Arcos
Logrono
Najera
Santo Domingo
Belorado
St Juan
Burgos

Thank you.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My wife and I will walk this May from SJPP to Burgos. We did walk Camino de Santiago from Leon to Santiago de Compostella last September and October.

Zubiri
Pamplona
Puente la Reina
Estella
Los Arcos
Logrono
Najera
Santo Domingo
Belorado
St Juan
Burgos

Thank you.

Here's a link to the resource page on the Forum site which has a PDF of exactly what you are asking for.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/a-selection-of-favorite-albergues-on-the-camino-francés.140/

Buen Camino, Amigo. :)

Puente la Reina the albergue under the Jakue hotel is cheery the evening buffet there leaves much to be desired look around town for something more promising for dinner. San Juan de Ortega - Stopped there once years ago, was greeted by the aroma of mildew and mould, a smell which remained with me until Burgos-never been back depite the Medeival atmosphere. . Hopefully that has changed. I would mush on to Agés either one of the private albergues are just fine. Burgos, treat yourself to a nice hotel, Hotel Norte y Londres 10 Plaza de Alonso Martínez 40 € for a double at booking.com

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
My favorites:

Zubiri - El Palo
Pamplona - Too many to list
Puente la Reina - Jakue
Estella - I rent an apartment here
Los Arcos - the municipal is fine but I like Casa Abuela
Logrono - no preference
Najera - no preference
Santo Domingo - municipal
Belorado - no preference
St Juan - I wouldn't stay here for a million dollars
Burgos - municipal

Hi, I see you have chosen the Brierley stages. Think outside the box.

Zubiri – Aca y Alla about 2kms after Zubiri
Pamplona – Casa Ibarrola
Puente la Reina – Albergue Puente
Estella – stop before Estella at La Casa Magica in Villatuerte
Los Arcos – walk on to Albergue Sansol in Sansol
Logrono – Hostal La Numantina
Najera – dunno, never stayed here – I like the municipal in Azofra
Santo Domingo – walk on to the parish albergue in Granon
Belorado – several good albergues
St Juan – you must be kidding – walk on to Ages
Burgos – lots of places to choose from

Jill

Puente la Reina the albergue under the Jakue hotel is cheery the evening buffet there leaves much to be desired look around town for something more promising for dinner. San Juan de Ortega - Stopped there once years ago, was greeted by the aroma of mildew and mould, a smell which remained with me until Burgos-never been back depite the Medeival atmosphere. . Hopefully that has changed. I would mush on to Agés either one of the private albergues are just fine. Burgos, treat yourself to a nice hotel, Hotel Norte y Londres 10 Plaza de Alonso Martínez 40 € for a double at booking.com

Be careful at Ages, we stayed in the worst albergue of the Camino there (a private one). The bunks were really crammed in, the tightest we saw, absolutely no room. You couldn't get down off the top bunks without touching the bunk next door. The light-bulbs were blown or too dull. Dark and gloomy. If I didn't have my headlamp, I wouldn't have been able to see in my corner. There were bedbugs crawling on the wall, my Camino friend was bitten. They were incredibly slow to process us leaving people standing outside in the pouring rain when there was room for them to come in. The glass shower door fell off its rails and hit me on the head pinning me to the back of the shower resulting in a giant egg on my head. It was Fawlty Towers at its best. Makes for good stories though.
The municipal just down the road was really nice.

Ages has a treasure though, a little old man has created a museum/display of wooden miniatures that he has hand crafted. He was so friendly, and showed us through, it was great.

The others have either been mentioned or I didnt stay there.
Estella - Albergue Capuchinos is spacious, only 2 bunks per room. And there is a door through to the chapel next door. Eat somewhere else though.
Viana - Albergue Izar (didnt stay in Logrono - developed an aversion to cities except for Burgos and Leon)
Najera - we stayed in a fairly new private one, was nice. the stamp says Najera la Rioja Nido de Ciguena
Santa Domingo - we stayed in Hostal La Catedral, the room had a great shower. Wasnt expensive but cant remember the price.
Burgos - Hotel Norte y Londres was good and well priced, and still quite close to the cathedral. We've stayed there twice

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi, I see you have chosen the Brierley stages. Think outside the box.

Zubiri – Aca y Alla about 2kms after Zubiri
Pamplona – Casa Ibarrola
Puente la Reina – Albergue Puente
Estella – stop before Estella at La Casa Magica in Villatuerte
Los Arcos – walk on to Albergue Sansol in Sansol
Logrono – Hostal La Numantina
Najera – dunno, never stayed here – I like the municipal in Azofra
Santo Domingo – walk on to the parish albergue in Granon
Belorado – several good albergues
St Juan – you must be kidding – walk on to Ages
Burgos – lots of places to choose from

Jill
I second La Casa Magica and Granon parochial.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Zubiri
Pamplona
Puente la Reina
Estella
Los Arcos
Logrono
Najera
Santo Domingo
Belorado
St Juan
Burgos

Thank you.
Here you are, just make a choise !

Attachments

• ALBERGUESURI CAMINO FRANCEZ 2017.pdf
    445.9 KB · Views: 59

Zubiri
Pamplona
Puente la Reina
Estella
Los Arcos
Logrono
Najera
Santo Domingo
Belorado
St Juan
Burgos

Thank you.
Maybe you will use this :

Attachments

• profil_d_etape_imprim.pdf
    331.7 KB · Views: 22
We stayed at Casa Magica earlier this week so we could walk into Estella for late lunch/dinner and leave Villatuerta on the alternative route.
I felt the casa magical lacked a good clean. Matress/pillow covers were stained and floor needed a sweep and mop. We were first people in that day plus he put everyone in the same room, maybe to save heat but was crowded.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Stayed in the casa rural in St Juan de ortega brilliant ! owned by the bar owner who served pilgim meals in evening excellent.

Stayed in the casa rural in St Juan de ortega brilliant ! owned by the bar owner who served pilgim meals in evening excellent.
Loved that place (not to be confused with the albergue), and the brothers who own the bar made it so much fun.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Loved that place (not to be confused with the albergue), and the brothers who own the bar made it so much fun.
Yes, definitely not to be confused with that albergue.... I would pass through St Juan de Ortega if I were to walk the CF again. From memory though, just about every other albergue in which I stayed was fine.

Here is my experience at the locations noted;

Zubiri - stayed at municipal - was just fine
Pamplona - Plaza Catedral - this one is right beside the big cathedral and our balcony overlooked the square
Puente la Reina - about 5kms shy of Puente, there is a lovely albergue ran by Carlos and Alicia called Albergue el Jardin de Muruzabal - there is a pool here!!
Estella - if you go just past Estella, you will find La Casa Magica, a super cool hippy albergue with NO bunk beds!!
Los Arcos - the municipal is fine
Logrono - I was coming down with a cold by the time we reached Logrono, so we opted to book into the Carleton Hotel for two nights and had amazing burgers at Burgerheim restaurant
Najera - sorry, the name escapes me where we stayed here
Santo Domingo - municipal was fine
Belorado - can't remember the name but it was good
St Juan - there is only one albergue in San Juan de Ortega and we stayed there. The meal was awful but the accommodations weren't too bad
Burgos - in Tardajos, which is about 10kms outside of Burgos, there is a wonderful albergue called La Fabrica - amazing food, private room and wonderful hosts!!

If you're able to stop just before or after the Brierley stages, you can find some real gems!! You didn't mention anything beyond Burgos, so perhaps you're not going that far this year, but if you do find yourself coming back to finish, there is another wonderful albergue, called Paloma y Lena, which is in San Mamede do Camino, just before Sarria. We were supposed to stay at the municipal albergue there, but the hostess was so sour we slogged on until we found this family-run albergue and it was fabulous!!

Buen Camino!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Just made two first booking for the start of our Camino one SJPDP and Roncesvalles and wow prices are all levels but the base is starting for two around 120euro (175 Cdn) for two beds and some...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.