• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Please remember where you are...........

Gareth Griffith

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPdP to Santiago de Compestela in May(2016)
I was reading the Great Westward Walk by the late Antxon- Bolitx having seen it recommended on another thread on this Forum. It is a great read and I thoroughly enjoyed it. He recommends a couple of good Albergues and one of them is up at O Cebreiro. I wish I had known more about it before I walked my Camino. Out of curiousity I looked up the review for it on Tripadvisor by chance the review for the Hotel O Cebreiro came up too.

The hotel gets mixed reviews but several things caught my eye. People complained about poor wi-fi (the place is up in the mountains), no lift ( I don't know for certain but I would suggest it is only two storeys high) and didn't cater for gluten free (bear in mind where you are) and also rooms over the bar were a bit noisy (guess it must be all the pilgrims from the hostel enjoying themselves?)

There was one review which really made me laugh and wonder what planet the guest came from "Got surprized how rude the owner treated me when I called at midnight to complain about having no heat when it was 32 degrees outside." If you think I am making it up please check it out in full:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel...ita_do_Cebreiro_Province_of_Lugo_Galicia.html

What I'd like to remind potential pilgrims is that some of the places you might stop at are in the middle of nowhere and are catering for the masses not for individuals, don't expect gluten free, don't expect vegetarian, don't expect central heating or air-con. Make sure that are prepared to accept some changes to your usual standards of comfort and be grateful that these businesses are there to meet your basic needs

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Unfortunately that is how it was at the Mont Irago albergue in Foncebadon during the now famous blizzard of March 5, 6 2009. Psychologically the mood resembled a mix of Sartre's No Exit and some 1930's social realism written by Clifford Odets. Instead of being greatly relieved to find physical warmth, clean beds and good food available in the middle of a raging snowstorm on the side of a mountain, some stranded pilgrims noisily complained about the prices! Indeed, they were slightly higher than down in Astorga but all the supplies had to be brought up and in....Twas ever thus.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Yeah, I about FROZE in an albergue along the Aragones before Jaca - won't mention it - but also won't stay there again. The woman was rude as heck and didn't realize I spoke Spanish as she complained about pilgrims, while her husband said, in Spanish, 'Smile! Smile!" I replied (in Spanish), "Yes, SMILE!"

Certainly people have to form their own opinions and apparently they also have to share them with the world online now, too. Some of my least comfortable nights were the best nights we had on the Camino, but mostly that was because of the hospitaleros. When you are cold, tired, aching, even a thin tumbling mat can be a blessing when offered by someone kind and welcoming.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I was reading the Great Westward Walk by the late Antxon- Bolitx having seen it recommended on another thread on this Forum. It is a great read and I thoroughly enjoyed it. He recommends a couple of good Albergues and one of them is up at O Cebreiro. I wish I had known more about it before I walked my Camino. Out of curiousity I looked up the review for it on Tripadvisor by chance the review for the Hotel O Cebreiro came up too.

The hotel gets mixed reviews but several things caught my eye. People complained about poor wi-fi (the place is up in the mountains), no lift ( I don't know for certain but I would suggest it is only two storeys high) and didn't cater for gluten free (bear in mind where you are) and also rooms over the bar were a bit noisy (guess it must be all the pilgrims from the hostel enjoying themselves?)

There was one review which really made me laugh and wonder what planet the guest came from "Got surprized how rude the owner treated me when I called at midnight to complain about having no heat when it was 32 degrees outside." If you think I am making it up please check it out in full:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel...ita_do_Cebreiro_Province_of_Lugo_Galicia.html

What I'd like to remind potential pilgrims is that some of the places you might stop at are in the middle of nowhere and are catering for the masses not for individuals, don't expect gluten free, don't expect vegetarian, don't expect central heating or air-con. Make sure that are prepared to accept some changes to your usual standards of comfort and be grateful that these businesses are there to meet your basic needs

Well, ye-es, except the place you're talking about isn't an albergue, it's a hotel: Hotel O Cebreiro. And doesn't charge 8-10 Euros as someone else suggested - Gronze.com gives the cost for a double room as 50-60 Euro (40-45 for a single), so it's trying to do a bit more than simply meet basic needs. Doesn't make those reviews any less laughable, of course - TripAdvisor reviews are always an entertaining read!

And remember that you're only paying 8-10 Euros. Or less.

It's more like 40 Euro for a single room in the hotel mentioned in the reviews I believe... Still cheap for a private room with bath of course.

I wrote most of those reviews. The O Cebreiro mafioso were determined to promote the local restaurants selling Pulpo y vino tinto, which as everyone knows is not only gluten free but does not require wifi: only good teeth..
"expectations" are interesting aren't they? I expect some people will take this post as seriously as they take Tripeadvertiser reviews

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
From memory the only time we saw a lift was at Hotel Norte Y Londres, what a surprise. We had ground floor accommodation once at Albergue Ana at San Martin, (but no hot water). Other than that its always up stairs, always.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Certainly people have to form their own opinions and apparently they also have to share them with the world online now, too. Some of my least comfortable nights were the best nights we had on the Camino, but mostly that was because of the hospitaleros. When you are cold, tired, aching, even a thin tumbling mat can be a blessing when offered by someone kind and welcoming.

A warm bed..a warm bath and a warm welcome..what more does a person need?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Americans don't say lift, instead use elevator. If I stay in a hotel I expect heat, but wouldn't expect it in an albergue. Don't think that's being unreasonable. The rest of course is silly.

I wrote most of those reviews. The O Cebreiro mafioso were determined to promote the local restaurants selling Pulpo y vino tinto, which as everyone knows is not only gluten free but does not require wifi: only good teeth..
"expectations" are interesting aren't they? I expect some people will take this post as seriously as they take Tripeadvertiser reviews
You never fail to amuse, Tinky! ;)

From memory the only time we saw a lift was at Hotel Norte Y Londres, what a surprise. We had ground floor accommodation once at Albergue Ana at San Martin, (but no hot water). Other than that its always up stairs, always.
I'm with Anamiri and Kathar1na - Hotel Norte Y Londres is a fabulous hotel - the rooms are spacious, the staff are really friendly and helpful, and the breakfast buffet ... delicious doesn't even begin to describe it!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Amazing how your sense of luxury changes on a Camino doesn't it, sheets, a bath, shampoo, hot water, a wee balcony- felt like 6 stars to me.
I stayed an extra day in Burgos to look around, it was weird walking up on that day, and hearing all the pilgrims leaving, tap, tap, tap on the pavement.

I wonder if the reviewer on Tripadvisor is American and was referring to 32 degrees Fahrenheit - or 0 degrees Centigrade!
Surely that's the case ... does the OP think that someone is complaining about no heat with 32C? That's 89F! That would be other-worldly!!o_O;)

I know that in Europe it's common for hotels to not have the heat working when it's "out of season", but I would also be very unhappy to be paying 40 Euro/ $50 a night at a Hotel, on Camino or off, with no heat when it's freezing out. One knows to expect that at an albergue, but to me a hotel is another story.

I wonder if the reviewer on Tripadvisor is American and was referring to 32 degrees Fahrenheit - or 0 degrees Centigrade!

If you are walking the Camino, and you expect to have low temps, like 32F, wouldn't you be prepared for that? Wouldn't you be carrying not only warm clothing but also a good low temp sleeping bag? Wouldn't you use your sleeping bag/quilt in the albergues, pensiones, hotels, casa de huespedes, etc?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If you are walking the Camino, and you expect to have low temps, like 32F, wouldn't you be prepared for that? Wouldn't you be carrying not only warm clothing but also a good low temp sleeping bag? Wouldn't you use your sleeping bag/quilt in the albergues, pensiones, hotels, casa de huespedes, etc?
I wouldn't expect to have to use a sleeping bag in a hotel.

I'm feeling Voltaire-ish tonight. You know, I may travel differently than you but will defend to the death your right to travel along the ways of Saint James and stay in hotels, or something like that :cool:. I've just worked out that I've walked 1760 km, every step of the way - although I crossed the Gironde on a ferry as pilgrims do - and carried a backpack all the time. As an aside, I also saw that there are big signs on the Spanish motorways saying Camino de Santiago. Maybe I'm deaf to it but the road never spoke to me. What spoke to me where the landscapes, the weather, the environment, people, companions of the way. And the churches. They carry many messages, among them the Christian messages of humility and charity. It's a message for everyone, whether they are on foot or not, whether they are kitted out in state of art hiking gear or not, whether they have taken time out from their daily lives or not.

Sorry. Sometimes the Camino preaching still gets to me ...
Never "preaching." I am neither minister or priest. For me, and maybe me alone, the path is the church, the guide, but everything else mentioned, is the choir, and neither can exist without the other. But that is me 5km or 1,000,000 km.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am with Kathar1na and I have eight years of blistered feet to prove it.
Anton Boltitx tale of his Camino was about a Camino in 2008. He had walked others but this was the one he wanted to immortalize. The book is amazingly true about the rigors of walking the Camino and the mind games it plays with us. He is a brilliant author and I can only imagine the days when he walked and found place to stay in gymnasium storage closets.
The Camino today is not the same.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Most of these comments could be applied to every day of your life .... Absorb and appreciate what others have to offer and be open to experiencing the world outside your little bubble.

Well, ye-es, except the place you're talking about isn't an albergue, it's a hotel: Hotel O Cebreiro. And doesn't charge 8-10 Euros as someone else suggested - Gronze.com gives the cost for a double room as 50-60 Euro (40-45 for a single), so it's trying to do a bit more than simply meet basic needs. Doesn't make those reviews any less laughable, of course - TripAdvisor reviews are always an entertaining read!

Spot on regarding the first part.
Some of the comments here make it sound like the hotel is doing Pilgrims a favor. Um, I think it’s the other way around - for 40-60 Euros one should expect some basic guest service business - this is not an albergue, after all.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.