• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Please rip apart my packing list. :)

vagabondette

So I just ordered my backpack (Jade 30) and I'm trying to get my gear list in order so I can get it all organized while I'm in the US. Please feel free to rip it apart. :) Please note this is built with the knowledge that I get *very* hot while walking (except my hands) but am cool when I just wake up and in the evenings. I'll be starting in mid-Sept (likely) and doing the whole route.

Clothes:
2 - Tank tops with built-in bra
1 - long-sleeve lightweight jacket
1 - capri pants
1 - convertible pants (full length)
1 - long-underwear pants to sleep in
2 - underwear
1 - rain jacket/poncho
2 - sets of socks (liner and thicker)
1 - sarong
1 - thin pair gloves
1 - hat
1 - bathing suit

Technology
1 - Smartphone (with charger)
1 - mp3 player (tiny one, uses same charger as phone)
1 - bluetooth keyboard (hopefully)

Bath:
1 - vapur .4l bottle with 2 in 1 shampoo/conditioner (I know, weight.... But I also know that if I don't have conditioner I'll be miserable. I'll also use it for body wash and laundry)
1 - vapur .4l bottle of lotion with SPF (again, weight... but I am a FIEND about dry skin. I lotion my hands about every 15 minutes and/or every time I wash them. Plus it'll be my sunscreen)
1 - deodorant
1 - Toothbrush/paste/dental floss

Misc:
1 - crocks sandals (not the fugly clog style :))
1 - set of ankle-high gaiters (to protect from rocks, debris, not water)
1 - micro-fiber bag liner
1 - basic first aid kit
1 - knife
1 - bandana (for wiping the sweat off my face while walking)
1 - sunglasses
2 - sets of earplugs
5 - safety pins
1 - clothes line (about 10m of the lightest weight rock climbing cord works well for this and is very light weight and strong. attach with a slip knot at one end and a very small 'biner at the other)

I'm undecided about trekking poles. I've used them before and liked them but I really don't want the expense. I may pick them up in Pamplona if I find I need them.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
vagabondette said:
So I just ordered my backpack (Jade 30) and I'm trying to get my gear list in order so I can get it all organized while I'm in the US. Please feel free to rip it apart. :)
Forget about your knife, unless you send your pack in the airline's hold.
If your items fit into 10% of your body weight, go ahead.
If not, start eliminating those items which you think you might do without. Many can be bought locally, once you are on the Camino.

I'll buy my knife/liquids on the ground. I am going to go down to 1 pair of capris probably. Will see how the pair of pants I just ordered do when I roll them up into capris.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You may want to add a silk sleep sac. It can get very hot in a crowded albergue and you don't want to be sleeping directly on the mattresses. :shock:
Also, you will probably want to consider both a rain jacket and a poncho that will go over the pack. Ponchos are needed when it really rains all day. A rain jacket and a pack cover will do in light rain.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The fleece bag liner will be my sleep sack. If it's very warm, I'll either sleep on/under it with my sarong in the opposite location to either cover or protect me (depending on HOW warm). I'm going to get one of those jacket/poncho in one thingys that everyone raves about. :) Altus or something? I can't wear rain jackets close to my body, I just swim in sweat. When I did the APR I hiked in mist/snow on the mountain tops while wearing shorts and a t-shirt because I was so warm.

I didn't notice the fleece bag liner. Most of us use the silk liner because of weight.
The Altus is a very good poncho choice as it buttons rather than pulls over the top which is very hard to do with a pack on. Takes two people to get a standard poncho off.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes, I debated the silk liner w/ bag thing but I think that would be more than I want to carry or need for most nights and I think the silk alone would not be enough so the fleece seemed like a happy medium of having something to sleep in that would give me a bit of warmth but not be too much to carry.

Oh, I will also be carrying a bikini and will likely get crocks instead of bringing my flip flops as they're lighter, easier to wear with socks and I can likely walk further in them once i'm off the camino and in the cities.

I'm not an experienced pilgrim, but I'm a very experienced hiker and climber. I don't like ponchos, as they just aren't dry enough for all-day walking. Go with a superlight Goretex jacket -- make sure it's breathable but truly waterproof and not just water-resistant (Goretex is worth the cost).

Bring a wool cap -- you lose an incredible amount of heat from your head, and it's very light weight. Putting on a cap adds more warmth than putting on a jacket.

Trekking poles are a matter of personal preference. I use a single collapsible aluminum one with a handle -- sort of like a cane. It's useful to take a little weight off my legs, helps on slippery surfaces, and is invaluable to ward off dogs. I find two to be one too many -- too much weight, and too much confusion is planting two poles plus two feet for every two steps. (That said, I sometimes use two for more technical matters like approaching a climb, but that's a different business.)

buon camino

As I said earlier, I can't do a rain jacket. I get too hot. The jacket/poncho I'll get is not the normal poncho that is open on the sides. It's more like a long, loose rain coat that is closed all around and fastens up the front. it'll be loose enough that I won't feel like I'm in a sauna - well, I probably still will but it won't be as bad as with a jacket. Plus then I don't have to carry both a jacket and pack cover and it'll protect my legs some too.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you are wearing a poncho you might want to consider a pair of Gaiters to keep the rest of your legs and your boots/shoes dry as well. They are very light weight and can change you from being miserable to just grumpy on wet days. As most of your boot/shoe are covered they will not get as wet, will not need as much drying time and will help prevent wet sock blisters.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy using Tapatalk.

Yeah, I"ve been debating the Gaiters thing and haven't decided yet. I'm walking in trainers so they're going to get wet no matter what. It's just a fact. My interest in the gaiters is actually more for keeping rocks out than water. I just saw a post about making spats and that was an interesting idea to me. I think I'd cook in gaiters. For some reason my lower legs get REALLY hot when I hike and sweat a lot (I overheat quickly if I'm wearing pants). I think the gaiters might be too warm. Plus, I don't know if I'd be able to use them at all with trainers since there's really no heel. I'll take a look while I'm at REI in a week and try them with my trainers and see what I decide...

Thanks everyone for the feedback so far!

the wash line sounds excessive - 10m - pegs yes but I just have a spare pair of long boot laces - tie together & put on outside of pack during the day with clothes attached to dry as I walk. Not pretty, I know, being a walking wash line but it is just as easy - also drying at an albergue is rarely a problem, theft can be though.
I'd walk with it personally - as you prepare and train just do it with your pack laden. Your body will soon tell you what is the optimum weight.
This morning I'm on my bike again - 3 hours through the hills but my bags - panniers - will have my full touring gear in them.
All the best for your journey.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The washing line weighs just a couple ounces and is very small. The benefit of a long length is that it can be used anywhere and not just where things are nearby. I've also found that it gets shorter as the hike goes on as pieces are used for various things (ties to attach gear, replacement for broken laces, etc.). It is light and cheap so I''ll probably bring it and ditch some/all of it if I find I really don't use it. From what I've read though, line space can be a premium so the option of setting up another line in a sunny spot might be welcomed. We'll see.

I detest zip off pants. They always hit me at the wrong place and are uncomfortable and I find the waistbands to be uncomfortable as I lose weight and I always seem to get ones with faulty zips. I also don't like the length most are when they zip off. I did order a pair of convertible pants that fold up to capris so I'm going to see how those go and perhaps take only those and another set of capris if I like them.

Nice choice of pack, not many Gregory stockists in the UK but saw Jade pack for the first time last weekend.

Also interesting to see spread of pack sizes being contemplated with another US female poster saying she was going for a 60L Deuter!! - bit of a surprise.

Notice you are not listing any pharmaceuticals or first aid items.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have a jade 60 that i use for long trips that i really like. A bit concernrd about lack of external fasteners but i will see. 30 is the highest i want to go and would love smaller but the 30 is on sale. I have a first aid kit listed. That will have stuff.

Speaking of surprisingly small packs, immigration to get back into the usa yesterday was easy (last time was a nightmare) but customs gave me crap because i was only carrying a 25l day pack. He was suspicious about why i would carry so little... :roll: we finally ended our 20 minute discussion on lightweight packing with him asking me to give his wife lessons. Lol

I walked in April/May using Icebreaker merino wool medium weight and Goretex paclite - I'd probably ditch the fleece and replace it with something like HH thermals that you can wear at night and during the day if cold - after a couple of hours of early-morning chill, the sun arrives and you're too warm rather than too cold; but I'd probably include my Icebreaker beanie hat that is both warm and very light

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Nice list, you are an experienced walker (crikey! I hope you are female)

I would add a simple sewing kit and double up on the ear plugs - terrible when you lose one!

Less trousers for me - better zip-offs then you have shorts and trousers and if (only if) it is going to be wet and you are wearing socks then another pair .. but you could always buy them along the way if you need them

I would definitely not take a music player, preferring to be in the present, nor a keyboard thingy but this - actually, all of the above - is just my personal thing.

I also carry small pepper and salt mills, and some olive oil (one can also use it for shaving and also as a brilliant skin oil), and my true luxury, a linen napkin.

Don't forget a few waterproof bags to put your items in, though it won't rain on you (honest :wink: )

Yes, I am a woman. :)

Regarding the technology, I probably won't use the music player every day - preferring, instead, to hearing the sounds of nature and the conversations of my fellow pilgrims. However, I know there will be some long days and when I feel like I'm unable to take another step, popping in my Pink mix will get the spring back in my step and help the kms fly by. Plus, I find they're a good deterrent when I want to be alone but don't want to keep telling people I want to be alone. :)

For the keyboard, my entire trip is going to be about 4 months and I run my own business so if I want to keep my clients/keep making money, I'll need to have the ability to communicate. They keyboard will make it easier. Plus, it'll help me update my blog and I'm hoping that I'll be working on one of several book ideas I have so it'll help with that. I just need to get a smartphone that'll work with the keyboard. :)

The salt and pepper is a good one, thanks! I'll skip the olive oil as I'm already bringing skin lotion and the last thing I want is more liquids.

Each "set" of things will go in it's own plastic ziplock freezer bag to make packing easier and tighter and more organized. I'll also treat my pack before I go to help with keeping wet out. BTW, for those who use plastic bags and need to replace them or want an alternative, fedex shipping envelopes are a great alternative. They're light weight, waterproof and very strong. You can't use them to squeeze air out for compression purposes but they're a MUCH better alternative to the rustly shopping bags that drive everyone nuts. :)

Yes, I'm still trying to figure out my warm top option. I ordered a jacket that was on sale at REI which might work but if not, I'll return it. I think I'm going to have to be in a store to make a choice. Since these are clothes I'm going to be carrying/wearing for 4 months, I want to try to get something that is at least a little stylish. :) I'm in NYC right now and I think I'll head to the REI tomorrow. I suspect they'll have a better warm clothes sale selection that the one I was going to visit in Phoenix.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I think that definitely I would recommend 2 pairs of trousers, be they long or Capri, ( the roll ups are good, the zip-offs are a waste of time for me).
For warm jackets, there are some lovely sleek on the outside warm and fluffy on the inside ones. Caminoists always feel cold in the evenings after walking and it is good to have a jacket to snuggle up in. I had a very smart, (I thought), and comfortable black OR jacket. I walked in late May and also had a light long-sleeved Ice Breaker. I didn't regret having both, especially in the first part of the trip.
My sister had a similar black jacket, but nowhere near as soft and she hardly wore it.
I took bikinis and never wore them. It was enough to soak feet in any pond or pool.
I had a 30l Aarn pack, forced me to keep it light and that was the best decision.
Enjoy your Camino.
Cheers, F

I tried on the roll-ups yeaterday amd i liked them so i will get them closer to my leave date as i will be losing weight between now and then. I also got my jacket, shoes and sleep sack yesterday. I will wear the shoes starting today to start breaking them in. The jacket isn't fluffy but it is soft on the inside and surprisingly warm. If i find i need more warmth in the evenings i will use my saromg as a shawl or pick up a light-weight long sleeve shirt somewhere. I slept in my sleep sack last night with just a fleece lap blanket over me and i was comfortable. This was in a drafty nyc apartment with mo heat. I thinl i will be fine om the camino wih just that and, if necessary/available a blanket from where i am staying or my poncho on top. If it starts getting too cold at night i can pick up a light fleese on the way.

Whilw at the rei yesterday i checked out their 30l packs and put in the one i tried my jacket, sleep sack amd shoes. Those are my bulkiest items and they only took about 1/3 the space so that was good. The sales guy was astounded that i was. Going to use a pack that small and it turned out the other guy there was leaving for his camino on monday and when he saw mw with a small pack it inspired him to go from a 50l down to a 32l which he liked much more so tjat was cool. :)

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
oh, and regarding the bathing suit thing, I will be traveling for an additional 3 months after the camino in warm areas so I want to bring a suit with me.

Thank you for sharing your packing list. I am with you on the ponco. I am going to walk the camino France's in July and based on my weight am opting for no more than 12 pounds total. This means water and snacks as well. It is disturbing to discover how few items this actually means for my 28 litre deuter pack. Thanks for the in put, both from you and others, it gives me a little more courage to keep things light.

I'm leaving this April and these days I working on my backpack list to make it as lighter as possible.

This evening all of a sudden It hit me that I can use shampoo bar instead liquid and thought I had to share this idea : )

I checked Rush and found they had good selections.

I'll carry two soaps, one for face and body, one for hair and will use one of them for laundry also if I have to do it by hand...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I didn't see anyone mention maps of the route, lists of albergues, and a journal and pen/pencil to keep notes. Last time I had a guidebook. This time I am thinking about PDFs on an iPod Touch, but maybe paper copies as well.

So the Jade 30 just didn't fit me right. The top of the pack cut across my shoulders so I took it back and ended up getting the Talon 33 by Osprey. It's much bigger than I think I need but it's nice and light weight (under 2 lbs) and I wore it around the store with 5 kilos in it for about 40 minutes and it was comfey. There's an employee at REI who is doing the Camino in April and this is the pack she chose out of all the packs available at REI - so that says something. Hoping this one works as I'm sick of buying/returning packs! :) It has a ton of loops and stuff on it so, assuming I like it after traveling with it for a while, I'll probably cut a lot of the extra stuff off to make it even lighter. I 'pretend packed' today using the clothes I have on hand and tossing in a bunch of electronics for misc stuff and my pack was about 10.5 lbs. Hopefully with my real clothes/gear I'll be able to get that down to 8.5-9 lbs.

I also picked up some Lush products today to test out over the next few months. I got a shampoo bar, conditioner bar, lotion bar, toothpaste pellets and a sample of their deodorant. Looking forward to seeing how they work and, if I like them, carrying them instead of liquids. They're expensive (that list cost about $40) but they should last 1-3 months, depending on the product. And, I can restock in Europe which is good.

vagabondette said:
I also picked up some Lush products today to test out over the next few months. I got a shampoo bar, conditioner bar, lotion bar, toothpaste pellets and a sample of their deodorant. Looking forward to seeing how they work and, if I like them, carrying them instead of liquids. They're expensive (that list cost about $40) but they should last 1-3 months, depending on the product. And, I can restock in Europe which is good.

I used the Lush shampoo (the Seanik) bar for my Camino and I loved it. I left with a used one and it still lasted until Léon. Since my hair is long, I brought a small 100 ml bottle of leave-in conditioner which lasted for the whole trip.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
vagabondette said:
So I just ordered my backpack (Jade 30) and I'm trying to get my gear list in order so I can get it all organized while I'm in the US. Please feel free to rip it apart. :) Please note this is built with the knowledge that I get *very* hot while walking (except my hands) but am cool when I just wake up and in the evenings. I'll be starting in mid-Sept (likely) and doing the whole route.

Clothes:
2 - Tank tops with built-in bra
1 - long-sleeve lightweight jacket
1 - capri pants
1 - convertible pants (full length)
1 - long-underwear pants to sleep in
2 - underwear
1 - rain jacket/poncho
2 - sets of socks (liner and thicker)
1 - sarong
1 - thin pair gloves
1 - hat
1 - bathing suit

Technology
1 - Smartphone (with charger)
1 - mp3 player (tiny one, uses same charger as phone)
1 - bluetooth keyboard (hopefully)

Bath:
1 - vapur .4l bottle with 2 in 1 shampoo/conditioner (I know, weight.... But I also know that if I don't have conditioner I'll be miserable. I'll also use it for body wash and laundry)
1 - vapur .4l bottle of lotion with SPF (again, weight... but I am a FIEND about dry skin. I lotion my hands about every 15 minutes and/or every time I wash them. Plus it'll be my sunscreen)
1 - deodorant
1 - Toothbrush/paste/dental floss

Misc:
1 - crocks sandals (not the fugly clog style :))
1 - set of ankle-high gaiters (to protect from rocks, debris, not water)
1 - micro-fiber bag liner
1 - basic first aid kit
1 - knife
1 - bandana (for wiping the sweat off my face while walking)
1 - sunglasses
2 - sets of earplugs
5 - safety pins
1 - clothes line (about 10m of the lightest weight rock climbing cord works well for this and is very light weight and strong. attach with a slip knot at one end and a very small 'biner at the other)

I'm undecided about trekking poles. I've used them before and liked them but I really don't want the expense. I may pick them up in Pamplona if I find I need them.

Your list is good ! May be you have forgoten , bottle for water, headlamp
To be able to rip your packing list, please write the weight of each item and the total on your back ;
You don't need a clothes line nor
You can see our list below (in bad english)
We will be on the camino soon for the second time.
http://alaquarelle.wordpress.com/2012/03/25/whattobring/

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back