• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Please... Seriously Need Shoe Help

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Time of past OR future Camino
yes...
Oh my word... I am soooo tired of buying and trying shoes. :(:mad::confused:

I no longer really know what I should do. I have measured my feet around, and length and I have emailed various shoe manufacturers to check their sizing before buying.

For my last 2 camino I wore (in the end) Salomon's GTX 2 Ultra. They worked well. I still had a few niggly sore toes but no major problems.

For the Vdlp, as Keen started selling their wide fit shoe in europe I decided to try the Targhee (wide) but as I can only get this here in a mid boot... I had to buy the mid. I bought these in February and as I've lost weight since then they are now too big... yes you really do lose weight on your feet. :D

So... I tried my original Salomon's but they were also too big... So I decided I would just buy another pair of Salomons but a size down (which worked with the measurement of my feet). However, these arrived and were noticeably narrower... not good for my feet.

So... I went back to Keens and bought a 42.5 (eu size) this allows for the 1/2 size because the shoe runs small... and is up 1 size to allow for the long distance walking. They felt great at home. I wore them for a few days all day... one day was a full on house work day getting the house ready for house sitters... so they had a good work out. They felt fine. Today I walked about 8km in them and they hurt my feet.

I felt like they are still too big? but they shouldn't be? I kind of feel like my foot sits too far forward in the shoe when I'm waling rather than being held in the heel? I've tried different lacing but I'm not sure it helped the problem. I'm also not sure the mid boot is good for me... I just think I'm happier in a shoe?

I love my Teva sandals... I bought them in my correct size and they are good. I have some Keen sandals (Newports and Whisper) but I find the straps cut just across my little toe so they aren't great for long distances although I wear them a lot at home.

So what should I do? I cant just keep buying new shoes and boots... I can only really test them on a walk and then I cant take them back? I really am so confused? Any advice you can offer will be very welcome!

P.s. I have 2E wide feet and I live in France and my width just not exist in any shops... so I have to but online.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Could you use the sandals for the Camino? I hike in sandals all the time at home.
Once I wore out my hiking shoes I could never find another pair that really fit right and did not hurt my feet badly on a 5 mile walk.

Shoes are tricky mate. Nobody can give you the perfect shoe for you. You just gotta keep trying them on till like Cinderella, one fits. I too LOVE my Tevas. I may even walk my entire Camino in them. Otherwise I prefer minimal trailrunners like the Merrell bare access for all my hikes. The heaviest trailrunner I own are the La Sportiva Wildcats which aren't really heavy at all. I'm just not a boot guy. I also tend to stay away from GTX waterproof shoes. I find that water gets in anyway, and then they never dry, unlike my breathable non waterproof trailrunners that dry in no time. I wear a size 12 US or 46 European. Anyway... Good luck in your shoe quest!

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Wow, that must be getting awfully expensive. I can only suggest a trip to a professional footwear fitting shop, rather than so much painful guesswork. I have had this done when I lived in Sheffield, and once I found a brand that suited me, I could then stick with it. I also now get running shoes fitted at a shop where they make a video of your gait. There's a place in London called Profeet, I have not tried it, but if you ring them, they probably have knowledge of a similar service in France.

I no longer really know what I should do. I have measured my feet around, and length and I have emailed various shoe manufacturers to check their sizing before buying.

For my last 2 camino I wore (in the end) Salomon's GTX 2 Ultra. They worked well. I still had a few niggly sore toes but no major problems.

For the Vdlp, as Keen started selling their wide fit shoe in europe I decided to try the Targhee (wide) but as I can only get this here in a mid boot... I had to buy the mid. I bought these in February and as I've lost weight since then they are now too big... yes you really do lose weight on your feet. :D

So... I tried my original Salomon's but they were also too big... So I decided I would just buy another pair of Salomons but a size down (which worked with the measurement of my feet). However, these arrived and were noticeably narrower... not good for my feet.

So... I went back to Keens and bought a 42.5 (eu size) this allows for the 1/2 size because the shoe runs small... and is up 1 size to allow for the long distance walking. They felt great at home. I wore them for a few days all day... one day was a full on house work day getting the house ready for house sitters... so they had a good work out. They felt fine. Today I walked about 8km in them and they hurt my feet.

I felt like they are still too big? but they shouldn't be? I kind of feel like my foot sits too far forward in the shoe when I'm waling rather than being held in the heel? I've tried different lacing but I'm not sure it helped the problem. I'm also not sure the mid boot is good for me... I just think I'm happier in a shoe?

I love my Teva sandals... I bought them in my correct size and they are good. I have some Keen sandals (Newports and Whisper) but I find the straps cut just across my little toe so they aren't great for long distances although I wear them a lot at home.

So what should I do? I cant just keep buying new shoes and boots... I can only really test them on a walk and then I cant take them back? I really am so confused? Any advice you can offer will be very welcome!

P.s. I have 2E wide feet and I live in France and my width just not exist in any shops... so I have to but online.

Hi,
I so understand your problem! I also have wide feet and went everywhere trying mid boots that would give me ankle support. I found Keen the best. What kind of socks do you use? I use smart wool and a liner. I admit my experience has been in September ..good luck on your quest!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have had exactly the same trouble as you! Right down to shoes being fine all day at home but sore after a few km on a trail.
Some suggestions to try with your existing shoes. Can you put an insole in the ones that are too big? A nice thick sheepskin one might do the trick. Or two thinner ones.
How about trying wearing two pairs of socks, a thin liner pair and a normal woolen pair. This actually reduces your chances of blisters so is a good thing to do anyway (my trouble is finding shoes wide enough to accommodate two pairs). OR.....insoles AND two pairs of socks!
You might try walking in your Newport and Whispers. They may not be as bad as you anticipate. I have done a camino in both and I really worried that my little toe would be a problem in the Whisper, but it was fine. Turns out the Whisper sole is not as good as the Newport, but will still go over 1,000km.

I have just had a pair of boots made for me by a shoemaker. Feet measured, supposedly made to fit - and they were too small. Thankfully there was a "we promise to get it right" guarantee and so they made another pair with the toe box wider. It seems even the professionals have trouble with some of our feet!

Hello,

I like Keen's too because of the wide toe base. My left foot is a little larger than my right foot. I am told that is common. So my boots are 1 size (US) larger than my larger foot. They say that you feet swell up after a few day's walking. I wonder if you could consider wearing thicker socks until the boots feel too tight and then go to a thinner sock.

Finding the right way to tie your boots is really personal. Here is what works for me using the Keen Boot:

I put a half hitch on each of the second loops in order to keep the toe base comfortable and to prevent it from tightening up when I lace up my boots.

After the 4th loop I tie a surgeons knot that helps tie in the heel (Surgeons knot is wrapping the boot lace around itself twice and tightening up the boot. Then on the upper two loops I put in a heel lock knot. It is really simple but hard to describe. (Youtube has plenty of videos for this easy procedure). Anyway, this works wonders for me. I didn't have any blisters on feet problems using this lacing method. My heel always felt like it was in the back of the boot.

I am sure that there are other surefire methods that work for others. This is just one idea.

Buen Camino,

Vive la France

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hello folks and many many thanks for the ideas. I've been on a shorter walk today but wore my Teva's and so nothing new to report. We're off on a longer more difficult circuit tomorrow so I will look at some of the lacing ideas and also change socks.

On my last two camino I wore Bridgedale coolmax and then a drymax layer. I did try a different sock yesterday and I did think it was more damp when we did a boot's off... so I will swap back... I also have a thicker pair of bridgedale socks so I can experiment.

I'm running out of time as I walk in 29 days but I think i might also order a pair of Brooks or New Balance trail shoes and see how these feel? And also when I'm home I'll try the Newports with socks on my usual training circuit.

I really must have odd feet... but I thank you for the advice!

I have found this video to be really useful, particularly the way it shows you how to lock your heel into the back of the boot. I also left a few of the holes nearest my toes with the laces uncrossed in order to accommodate swelling feet.
I feel your pain and frustration and hope you can find a solution very soon.

I have found this video to be really useful, particularly the way it shows you how to lock your heel into the back of the boot. I also left a few of the holes nearest my toes with the laces uncrossed in order to accommodate swelling feet.
I feel your pain and frustration and hope you can find a solution very soon.
Such a useful video. Not least because I own those exact boots, and saw lots more Vasques racked up in the albergues.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@LesBrass you could try our triple sock method. Very thin wicking liner socks, then mid weight mohair topped off with cushion sole (heavier) outer mohair socks. (Corrymoor 'Sportsman' and 'Companion') You can set off with all 3 or 'mix and match' to get the correct fit. I have worn 2 liners and the cushion soles with a pair of slightly smaller boots but current ones are my best and with the 3 different types. boots are Hi-Tec Altitude as I too have wide feet.

You sound like you have feet a lot like mine! I have a fairly wide foot and like most people my feet tend to swell a little after I walk a lot. I too am a bit of a shoe junkie because trekking is my biggest activity and I have tried so many different shoes and boots that I have a closet full.

I just finished the Camino Francis from SJPDP in June, and last year trekked over 1,400 miles (2,400 k) from my home in Southern California to Canada and I went through several brands of shoes. I started with New Balance cross trainers, but they wore out after 350 miles. I then went with similar New Balance again and they were just too narrow like what you experienced and got blisters. I desperately walked into a sporting goods store and told the clerk I wanted the widest hiking that they had. He brought out a pair of Merrell Moab low (wide), which I never considered because I never like how they looked. That's really not a good reason for not considering a shoe because they fit and felt great from the moment I put them on.

I walked with those for another 400 miles or so, and then changed them for a water proof high top version because I was in Oregon where it rained a lot. Again, I got the wide and they fit like a dream from the moment I first put them on.

My only issue with the Merrell was that I encountered lots of rain and my feet got wet. I had planned another trek the entire length of New Zealand this year, where it rains quite a bit, and started looking for a similar shoe. I stumbled upon Hoka One One, Thor Ultra, and started using them for my everyday training walks. They are wide and super comfortable for me, from day one, like the Merrells. Unfortunately. Again, I really did not like how they looked, but I learned my lesson.

I wore them for over five hundred miles here before I used them on the Camino Francis in May and they worked great for me. I am starting the Via de la Plata this September and already have my Hokas ready to use. I will also use these for my 2,300 k trek in New Zealand in January. Unfortunately, they are a little pricy.

For a woman they may not be the best looking shoe, but I did actually see one woman on the Francis that had them on.

I have had many people ask me what shoe I recommend because I trek a lot, and I usually tell them, "use what fits you and feels good to you." I have tried Tevas, Vasque, Merrell, Keen, New Balance, Montrail, Salomon, Nike, and many others, and I liked them all to a point, but I would still recommend that you, sorry to say, use the ones that fix and feel the best to you. But, if you want to try a wide shoe, try the Merrell Moab (wide) and the Hoka One One Thor Ultra.

Oh, by the way, I have tried many more brands and types of socks than I have tried shoes. I have toe socks, liner socks, thin, medium, and thick, short and long socks, you name it and I have probably tried them. I found that if you wear toe socks, which I love, it tends to spread the toes out more and takes up space, so someone with a wide foot might have issues with the shoe fitting too tight, and therefore may get blisters. I found the same thing for me when I wore liner socks, even thin ones. I found that a medium pair of Smartwool PHD wool socks work the best for me. I just make sure I wash them as much as possible to keep the loft up. But like with shoes, you have to wear what feels comfortable and works for you. What works for me might not work for someone else. I have a closet full of shoes and boots, and several drawers full of socks, so I know how you feel. Ha ha!

Good luck,
Ted

Last edited:
I have foot issues, needing a wide toe box and a narrower heel. I used Altra Lone Peak 2.5 trail shoes -- not sure if you can get them where you are.

Curiously, my feet did not swell at all on the Camino Frances plus Finisterre/Muxia. I did quite a bit of experimenting with socks, I have a pile that I might not ever use. I used a wicking liner socks (toe socks, Injinji) plus merino wool socks over them (Darn Tough brand).

I hope you find your best shoes, and have time to experiment with socks.
Buen Camino,
Priscilla

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yeah, try a half size larger in a shoe you plan to use on a looooong hike to make room for swelling. Also try diff sock combinations like others suggested. Lastly, use athletic tape on areas prone to blistering. Never use cotton socks of course. And some people use alittle Vaseline rubbed on feet. I don't. But some swear by it. If the weather is good, strap on those Tevas as often as you can. They seem to work for you. I love mine, and use them over shoes as much as possible. Especially for hiking flat terrain. Bien Camino.

I am weighing in only to say that I sympathize! I've only just started trying to find shoes for my December Camino and am already frustrated by the conflicting advice, reviews, etc. and worried that the wrong choice will have disastrous consequences.

Two separate two-hour visits to REI, and the only pair I really felt good in is a pair that two different salespeople practically begged me not to buy, telling me they were totally unsuited to walking the Camino in winter, but I cannot yet wrap my mind around walking 500 miles with two large bricks strapped to my feet, which is what all the winter boots feel like to me so far...

I've heard that the Camino brings you right up against your issues, whatever they are, and a big one for me is difficulty making decisions.... LOL.

Last edited:
I can fully sympathise too. At home here in Australia we also have limited in store choice but the stores we do have are very helpful. On my favourites published a very useful Guide to Buying Hiking Shoes & Boots. Nothing really new, but might prove helpful to those starting out and their Shoe Personality table detailing the quirks on the brands that they stock is really useful.

In the end, if the boot/shoe fits...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
They look a bit high for me, but what was their reason (and yours)? Winter conditions? High boots not suitable for walking in any season? I see that the weight is under 1 kg for the pair, which is not too bad.

Everything feels a bit high to me, as I generally dislike wearing shoes on principle and would walk the whole thing barefoot if I could get away with it... :) The need for boots is the only part of doing it in winter that I'm not so thrilled by.

Their reason was not enough support and they were too bendy, lightweight (ergo, risk of injury), not solid enough for a winter Camino. My reason was that they were the only ones that felt even remotely comfortable, but I see their point and that's not the sort of thing to take a chance with. So the search continues.

Last edited:
Their reason was not enough support and they were too bendy, lightweight (ergo, risk of injury), not solid enough for a winter Camino.
I don't find that a convincing argument at all. What ice conditions are they imagining and why would you need more support in winter? You are not scaling the Rockies in winter. Neither are you walking in the Alps or the Pyrenees, (except maybe one day. I don't know what the additional "support" would be for! I notice that the first review on the website was from someone who loved them for the camino.

I have walked in late November and early spring, encountering only a bit of snow, but I would confidently use the same boots at any time of year - a light weight waterproof Salmon mid-boot that fits my foot perfectly. I do not see the need for any more "wintery" boots.

Of course,my disclaimer is that I have not walked in winter! And I don't know what will suit your feet and your walk, and no one can predict what particular conditions you will encounter. If a blizzard takes place, you will likely not walk that day, particularly if it is one of the several days on the camino when you need to hike up a bit of a mountain. However, if your boots hurt your feet every day, you will be miserable everyday. My #1 advice is to get shoes/boots that suit your feet. I'd suggest that you not eliminate these on the basis of advice from someone who is not really knowledgeable about the camino or about mild winters.

Maybe @SYates or @mspath or other winter walkers will offer some advice.

I agree with @C clearly they look absolutely fine to me. My guess is that the shop assistants think of the Camino in terms of American long distance trails (climbing etc.) but the Camino is a hiking/walking trail through agricultural (sub)urbia not a wilderness path ;-) So yes, if they would fit me, I would buy them for a winter Camino. Buen Camino, SY

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Wow, thank you both!!!!! I'm so grateful for the existence of this forum and already don't know what I'd do without it.

I agree re: the REI people not really getting that the Camino isn't like the PCT.

Do you think I could push it a bit further and get a sturdy running shoe instead of a boot, or is that just crazy talk? I have heard that there will likely be times when the snow is several feet deep -- but in that case, there is no boot that will keep the snow out, either...

Do you think I could push it a bit further and get a sturdy running shoe instead of a boot, or is that just crazy talk?
Personally, I would take a boot, but I would not consider it crazy talk to consider shoes! Do get a roomy fit (the biggest that is not TOO big) and try out different sock combinations. Take a pair or two to an indoor mall to walk briskly for an hour, comparing them - different sizes, different socks. (Even though REI will accept them back worn, it is nicer to give them a first test indoors so they can be returned as new.)

Good luck!

Last edited:
You could go with a mid-height shoe plus gaiters that keep the snow out. One word of caution: Climate is what we have, weather is what we get ;-) Meaning you could be lucky and only encounter a few inches of snow in the mountains or unlucky and feet of snow in the Meseta, both is possible. I personally wouldn't go lower than an 'around mid-ankle' shoe/boot for a winter camino, but that is me. In the end you have to walk in what is most comfortable for you.
Buen Camino, SY

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you both! I shall return to the field of engagement armed with your sound advice, newly fearless at the prospect of horrifying the REI staff...

Thanks again for all the great advice... And it's good to know I'm not alone in my struggle.

@Ted Stek thats interesting about Hoka ... I looked at them but read they didn't have a lot of grip and not great for trails? I like the idea of the footbed in them. Maybe I need to revisit them... And I don't mind how they look if they make my toes happy :D

I walked again this morning in the Keen and they really aren't right. I tried the lacing and I wore some coolmax liners and a bridgedale wool sock. When we started they felt tighter and I felt more in control and started to think that they would be fine after all. But we're walking up and down some 200m hills so going up they were good going up for an hour but as soon as we started to go down my foot was sliding forward out of the heel and my toes are hitting the end of the shoe... I can actually feel my heel not in place, even on the flat.

So after a couple of minutes I swapped into the Tevas and finished the walk in them.

I think I'm going to buy a few pairs of lighter trail shoes... New Balance, Altro, Hoka, Brooks... The only thing I can do is try them at home and compare them. I know I will have to pay the return postage but hopefully this will give me a chance to experiment and find a shoe that works.

I'm also going to try my old salomons with an extra sock layer and I'll try my newports with socks too... At least I have these and can take them out walking and experiment... But I'm not leaving home without my Tevas at the moment.

Once again thanks all for the good advice... Wish me luck!

@Ted Stek thats interesting about Hoka ... I looked at them but read they didn't have a lot of grip and not great for trails? I like the idea of the footbed in them. Maybe I need to revisit them... And I don't mind how they look if they make my toes happy :D
Hi Les
I've been thrashing a pair of HokaOneOne Tor Summit boots for over a 1000kms now and am surprised at how well they grip on all sorts of terrain and in varied conditions. I was very tentative and apprehensive with them at first as I have always had full vibram soles but they have worked well for me.

I also have a pair of Hoka Stinson 3 and those I use only on footpaths and roads as they lack the traction of the Tors. The soles vary across the range so worth looking at a few different types.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
thats interesting about Hoka ... I looked at them but read they didn't have a lot of grip and not great for trails? I like the idea of the footbed in them. Maybe I need to revisit them... And I don't mind how they look if they make my toes happy :D

I tried the Hokas, too -- the Tec ones that are supposed to be like running shoes for rough trails. They were somewhat comfortable, but I confess I couldn't get past the looks and that they are HUGE. It was bad enough they looked like swim flippers, but they were day glo fuschia and blue swim flippers. I know that shouldn't matter if toes are happy, but given that the Camino isn't a hike through the wilderness and includes things like visiting cathedrals, eating at the occasional restaurant, and stops in cities, it's hard not to factor in not wanting to do all that in day glo flippers... but maybe the Hokas are intended as a test of humility...

Feeling shallow and vain, but...

... They were somewhat comfortable, but I confess I couldn't get past the looks and that they are HUGE. It was bad enough they looked like swim flippers, but they were day glo fuschia and blue swim flippers. I know that shouldn't matter if toes are happy, ...

Simply one advice - Absolutely forget about looks! What fits that are the right shoes/boots! Would you really want to wince at your hurting feet each day 'but at least you look good in this nice color and sleek shoes'?
First equipment priority - being safe/healthy/comfortable. Everything else comes way, way, way later!
Buen Camino, SY

I'm shallow and vain too... But I'll wear anything if it keeps me going and is lightish... I can hide flippers in my pack when needed and I'm sporting Tevas even as I type this... From my campsite in the Auvergne :rolleyes::)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

I just finished my Camino from St Jean to Santiago. I walked in my Keen sandles with diabetic ( not tight at ankle ) to allow for swelling which you will. I finished with no blisters or foot issues. Still rest several times a day....socks and sandles off to save your feet.

With your current Keens try an insole insert like " superfeet" . You can google them and see what they are. I bought pair of Asolo gtx95 boots in size 46 up from my normal 44 and walked over 600km in the 5 months leading to my Camino this spring with my superfeet and thin liner socks and mid weight socks. I walked in forests and hills with my full Camino pack. All with no problems. Well after the Roman roads and down hill runs into and from the Pyrenees through to Villa de Monjardin my feet had expanded and I had blisters on little and big toes from hitting the front sides of the toe box. In Logrono I ended up with size 48 Solomon mid boot and my trusted superfeet insoles, took one day off for salt baths for the blisters and I walked the rest of the way to Santiago without new problems. I met a podiatrist at home and he explained that walking training for two hours a day and 8km doesn't really stress your feet too much but long days will and the tendons and ligaments stretch making your foot size change. He liked the inserts I had and said good arch support is needed to have the best outcome. So while your new Keens may seem large, your foot will expand when you are on your next Camino. Hope this helps. Buen Camino.

You probably need an orthotic. I have exacrly the same issues and ironically exactly the same shoes. If your arch flattens out, your foot will slide forward and hit the toe box no matter how big. I got custom orthotics when we hiked the JMT and it was so much better, even super feet help. The keen mid boot is great, I prefer it to their low. Same weight as the salamon.

image.jpeg image.jpeg
Thanks again for all the great advice... And it's good to know I'm not alone in my struggle.

I walked again this morning in the Keen and they really aren't right. I tried the lacing and I wore some coolmax liners and a bridgedale wool sock. When we started they felt tighter and I felt more in control and started to think that they would be fine after all. But we're walking up and down some 200m hills so going up they were good going up for an hour but as soon as we started to go down my foot was sliding forward out of the heel and my toes are hitting the end of the shoe... I can actually feel my heel not in place, even on the flat.

So after a couple of minutes I swapped into the Tevas and finished the walk in them.

I think I'm going to buy a few pairs of lighter trail shoes... New Balance, Altro, Hoka, Brooks... The only thing I can do is try them at home and compare them. I know I will have to pay the return postage but hopefully this will give me a chance to experiment and find a shoe that works.

I'm also going to try my old salomons with an extra sock layer and I'll try my newports with socks too... At least I have these and can take them out walking and experiment... But I'm not leaving home without my Tevas at the moment.

Once again thanks all for the good advice... Wish me luck!

The Hoka Tor Ultra have great traction! They worked wonderfully for me because the bottoms have a combination of both hard Vibram rubber and soft rubber, and therefore great gripping surface. They work great for me on much harder rocky and slippery trails that I hike on, and what I encountered on the Francis. The bottom is also very thick and cushy, and the best thing for me is that they are wide in the toe box. I have gone through two pairs and get over six hundred miles (966 k) out of them. By the way, they are light too.

Once again thanks all for the good advice... Wish me luck![/

Last edited:
I just wanted to add that many of the Hoka One One running and trail running shoes tend to be a bit narrower. I have the Hoka Stinson that I use for every day walking but they are narrow and I can't wear them for long distances. My daughter used the Hoka Stinson for the Camino Francis and she loved them. They are not waterproff and breath well, but she liked them because she has very sweaty feet and they stayed dry.

Hi Les, I can sympathise as I also have challenges. I have very wide feet especially for a woman, have broken both ankles, ruptured an achillies last year and battled planta fasciitis for about 3 years - so trust me when I say - YOU HAVE TO BE HAPPY with the shoes you buy. I have never been able to get any kind of comfort with hiking boots. I think the higher fit combined with my calf inflexibility really exacerbates the challenges I have with my feet - BUT - it did teach me to really research what was causing any problems. I spent probably a full day (and I mean YouTube, websites, info sheets etc etc) researching any and all foot symptoms and challenges I had and went so far as to do an evaluation matrix, which is pretty much a spreadsheet, rating every challenge as to how bad it could turn and how important it was. (I iknow - I'm a geek!). What that gave me though was some kind of ideal shoe composite. From there I researched brands, what they did, how they did it etc etc (probably another full day if I'm honest) and went from there.

I recently went from Salomans (which were my most successful shoe in the past) to Hoka One One's (both just walking shoes not hiking and not boots) and I love those damn things. People on the post here have commented that they look huge and I guess they kinda do but I flat out don't care what I look like. I love the science behind them and did find that the rocker motion immediately helped me get another 5-8kms before I have to stop and give my feet a rest. I could do about 8000 steps before and then the metatarsal pain in the ball of one foot would mean I had to stop for around 20 mins to give it a rest. It was crippling. Now I can hit 15 kms comfortably. Not that I would on the camino probably but if it rains and I just want to get somewhere I know I can.

Everyone's comments about playing with socks is very valid and I would take thick socks to try on shoes. I bought my first pair of Hoka's and loved them and while I kept my walk to 10kms and under they were perfect, however as soon as I hit around 10k, my toes really started to hurt and blister badly. It was just my feet swelling which of course made the shoes too narrow. Completely my bad as I never even considered it, even though the girl in the shop suggested I go up a size. I went back, took her advice and went up half a size and got the D fitting (which is around a 2E in normal shoes) and they are perfect. I don't know if it was Fleet Feet or Hoka but they said I could return the shoes within a month for a different size with no conditions and that's exactly what they did. I'd walked for maybe a good solid 3 weeks at 7-10k's a day and they just changed them no questions asked. AMAZING!

I use good quality inserts which keep my feet in place and my arch supported, and if its cold or I'm only going 5-8kms I can always double up socks or use thick socks. I will always have challenges as my muscles and tendons are super short (which causes most of the problems), however I have successfully limited it to taping/using foam separator pads for toe blisters on one foot (that's a bone challenge that nothing will change) thanks to my Hoka One One shoes.

Of course you have to be happy but I can highly recommend them as walking shoes. I'm here in Panama walking 15kms daily training for my Camino that starts in 10 days (woop woop) and while there's no hills sadly I'm walking on damaged bitumen, sand, rocks, pebbles and no challenges at all. It rains almost every day and while they are walking shoes and not waterproof bizarely the thicker sole actually means that most puddles are no challenge and I don't get that wet but even if I do they dry in no time and that's part fo the adventure really I guess.

Good luck in the search - I hope you find something you are happy with.

Jenny

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
After reading so much about Hoka One One, I purchased a pair of Tor Summit Mids in June. I can NOT get used to these and am about to send them back to REI. I feel like I clomp along rather than spring step. That tends to make me tired and uncomfortable. When I look at my Merrills from the side as they sit on a rack beside me, I can see all the way under them to the other side at the arch. Looking at the Hoka, the sole is completely flat on the rack. I know that doesn't have anything to do with the inner arch as I wear the same kind of heat fitted Sole insole in both. It could be why I'm clomping though....I think?

After reading so much about Hoka One One, I purchased a pair of Tor Summit Mids in June. I can NOT get used to these and am about to send them back to REI. I feel like I clomp along rather than spring step. That tends to make me tired and uncomfortable. When I look at my Merrills from the side as they sit on a rack beside me, I can see all the way under them to the other side at the arch. Looking at the Hoka, the sole is completely flat on the rack. I know that doesn't have anything to do with the inner arch as I wear the same kind of heat fitted Sole insole in both. It could be why I'm clomping though....I think?

Hey Cher, that's actually the whole principle behind the Hoka's. They are super high cushioned mid sole which relieves a myriad of foot problems. The shape is to make you walk how you should rather than how you do. They won't be for everyone I'm sure, however I stuck with it and after a few weeks I got used to it and now I very much feel that I'm MUCH more light footed than I was in other shoes. Totally up to you though. That was my biggest challenge with them and the lack of decent insert seemed strange from a podiatrist designed shoe however they did tell me that is primarily as we all should have different custom inserts for us - hence the lack of real insert supplied with the shoe. You should never use a shoes insert and should use some designed for your foot they say.

If they aren't for you though they have an amazing return policy so just return them. They do take some getting used to though. Put some music in and try to ignore how you are walking and just do it and see if once you stop concentrating on it if you feel better about it maybe??

Thanks @Jen Marsden . Maybe I should give it a bit more time. Two months seems an eternity to me, but maybe not. I'm confident my Sole insert is fine. Not custom made but doctor recommended and I'm happy with that.

Buy a pair of runners that’s all you need

Am sure there's a better way to do this - just don't know what it is so have cut'n'pasted post from another thread cos I can never find my way back. & the shoe debate is an important one to stay informed on:

R.I.P Patagonias
patagonia-jpeg.39594

Best I've ever worn: lightweight; strong; reinforced stitching; breathable; leather & gortex; vibram soles; rubber toe cap; super comfy...
Tragically, Patagonia don't manufacture them anymore, or I'd have bought up a few pairs.

Have hiked a lot, done 3 caminos, worn a range of types of footwear over the years from buckskin books to
hiking sandals... it pays to take your time & make a choice that's right for you. After all, you spend pretty much half your time on your feet & the other half in bed, so it makes sense that that's where it pays to spend wisely.

Merrills are comparable, have similar specs &, unless I find a secret stash of Patagonias, will be my next pair.

https://www.sportsdirect.com/merrel...MIqeDPo-a02QIVBZPtCh1Bdg7SEAQYASABEgLq2vD_BwE

That said, a pair of jandals tucked away somewhere for when the day's done are worth their weight in gold - just don't wear them crossing the Pyrenees!

Hey there Ted - your post caught my eye

"My only issue with the Merrell was that I encountered lots of rain and my feet got wet"
- flip side is that breathable also means quick dry...

"I had planned another trek the entire length of New Zealand this year, where it rains quite a bit, and started looking for a similar shoe. I stumbled upon Hoka One One, Thor Ultra, and started using them for my everyday training walks. They are wide and super comfortable for me, from day one, like the Merrells. Unfortunately. Again, I really did not like how they looked, but I learned my lesson.
I wore them for over five hundred miles here before I used them on the Camino Francis in May and they worked great for me. I am starting the Via de la Plata this September and already have my Hokas ready to use. I will also use these for my 2,300 k trek in New Zealand in January. Unfortunately, they are a little pricy."
- Te Araroa is quite a different kettle of fish to the camino... you'll encounter some rugged terrain & plenty of weather! A High-top boot gives you support, which is a concern, & because we don't get the same kind of heat in summer, they won't turn your feet into boiled prunes lol

"I have had many people ask me what shoe I recommend because I trek a lot, and I usually tell them, "use what fits you and feels good to you."
- ultimately that's the best advice

Good luck in NZL - it's gonna totally awesome!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
...After 1,200 kilometers in which my feet always were in bliss,
farewell Altra Lone Peak 3.0 and welcome Lone Peak 3.5!

P.S. A sign of the comfort of these shoes is that most of the times, in the pauses while walking or trekking, I forget to take them off... :)

Altra vecchie e nuove.jpg

Last edited:

Try Altra Trail runners they have a wide toe box, Im a 4E and even though they don't come in wide size the toe box is what matters. I use the Olympus model, also good quality light cushion wool socks are just as important. make sure you train with them gradually before you go, as they are completely flat (0 drop-no heel) so they take getting use to. if you don't, you might suffer Achilles tendon problems. Topo brand is good too

I'm an Altra fan too, but you may want to try experimenting with different socks. It took me a while to get the socks dialed in with the fit of my shoes. I wear 2 layers of socks, one was not enough, my heel was slipping.

Sometimes it does take quite a bit of experimentation. I do hope you get the right combination of shoe/socks and that your Camino is as pain-free and blister-free as mine was -- and I have lots of foot issues normally.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@RogerSchneider and @Priscilla NC thanks for the reply... I was a fan of Altra and walked the VdlP in them in 2016... they just about lasted the 1000km and I was really happy with them. That was a Lone Peak 3.0 I did get a little bit of foot pain and Altra suggested I switch to the Olympus. I bought the same size but the Olympus and had horrible blisters... Altra told me they size small so I tried the next size up but it was way too big (a new version too). By then the Lone Peak 3.5 was available so I tried them for a a few days on the Rota Vicentina and also from Porto to Santiago... again really horrible blisters. (I can no longer buy the Lone Peak 3.0 in my size)

I loved the soft feel of the Olympus and the new Altra but there is something about they way they have adapted the upper that pushes my little toes under and results in painful blisters. I've tried a few different socks and lacing but the problem area is below the lace area. Sadly this means Altra are off my list now too unless they have a Lone Peak 4.0 which changes again :rolleyes:

I honestly have started to question if I will have to give up walking... which is crazy but the blisters are such a problem. I have four other shoes in my Amazon basket which I am going to try next week... some Hanwags, Merrells, and two different Salomons... wish me luck!

@RogerSchneider and @Priscilla NCSadly this means Altra are off my list now too unless they have a Lone Peak 4.0 which changes again :rolleyes:
I honestly have started to question if I will have to give up walking... which is crazy but the blisters are such a problem. I have four other shoes in my Amazon basket which I am going to try next week... some Hanwags, Merrells, and two different Salomons... wish me luck!
Altra Lone Peak "4.0" will be available in the near future, I just heard rumors from my shopkeeper.
You could try Topo shoes, that share the same philosophy of Altra. I'm waiting to receive and test a pair of Runventure 2...

@Piero Frustascarpe - thanks for the heads-up :) I did a quick search and there are a few review/previews of of the 4.0.

Also interesting was that in one of the articles they say that Salomon might make a wide version of he Ultra 2... now that would be of interest as I've walked the CF twice in this shoe. Sadly, a couple of years ago they shaved the width and they became too narrow. The article suggests August 2018 so I'll keep an eye out for them too!

€60,-
@Piero Frustascarpe: have you tried those gel sleeves for toes? Because when I do have foot issues, my left little toe is ground zero for pain and hot spots. These gel sleeves weigh nothing -- but you would need to take a bunch, as they don't last too terribly long. I think I remember that someone said that Spanish farmacias carry them.

I know there are several brands, Pedifix is one.

About Altra Lone Peaks: I had the 2.5 on my Camino. They were perfect, and the newer model was not quite as comfortable. I wear them on hikes, but I've not done much over 16 miles at one shot.

I'm curious how others find the 4.0s. I hate it when I find a great shoe and the model changes!

No, I did not try gel sleeves for toes. But I tested with surprisingly good results the five fingers socks in very long distance runs. They were like these ones. At the beginning you may feel them "strange" (like when wearing the Vibram FiveFingers for the first time), but they are expressly designed to avoid blisters in the toes.
Besides, I did not adopt them because when I ran downhill I felt too much pressure in between my toes. But for normal walking (and Caminos!) they should be taken into account.

Me too I was a big big fan of Altra Lone Peak 2.5 (I used up two pairs of them). And I still miss them so much, although they looked soooo funny and inelegant. :)
I went to read the reviews of Altra Lone Peak 4.0: they seem very promising. As soon as my "shoe pusher" will get them I will be the first in line to buy them. :cool:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@LesBrass Brass: About Salomon... I have quite broad feet, so I've always been attentive to choose comfortable shoes, although it's not so easy.
So, recently, when I tried a pair of Salomon GTX XA Pro, I couldn't believe that my feet loved them! :)
Wide enough for my toes, good sole grip even on wet rocks, and with an outstanding "control" on oblique slopes. I don't use them in very long trekking or walks, but when I do fartlek and run on (very) rough ground they are great.
P.S. That model is also very popular among nordic walkers, both men and women, over here.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.