• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Please suggest private lodging single room for less than 40E

Olivares

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
May 1997 (Leon to Santiago); Sections Camino Frances: May 2011, May 2012, May 2013, October 2013, June-July 2014 (Sahagun to Santiago).
I plan to go back to The Camino in May 2012. This time around I am older (50's!) and would prefer to stay in private lodging- single room individual use partly for privacy and medical reasons. Can you suggest clean hostals along the way that fit that criteria? Many thanks!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The John Brierley guide lists names of hotels and hostales by star-rating/price all along the route, so get his book and check the internet for current prices and phone numbers. Mundicamino and Eroski sites also show the non-albergue accommodations. I have always been satisfied by zero- and one-star places, but I may have a different definition of "clean" than you do.

In Fromista facing the church at 2 plaza San Martin, the Pension Marisa is a simple oasis. Very clean with good food it is where the city workers eat at mid-day. Main meal, breakfast and a heated private room for 30 euros. The toilet/shower is on the landing. Tel. 979 81 00 23. Have stayed there 5 times during 6 Caminos and it was always a pleasure. The three women who run it are a delight.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Have information about a few because I started in Leon,
Villadangos del Paramo, Hostal Libertad 35 euro.
Rabanal del Camino, Pousada El Tesin 35 euro.
El Acebo, La Pousada del Peregrino 35 euro. Breakfast included.
Villafranca del Bierzo, Casa Mendez 37 euro.

El Burgo Ranero : Hostal El Peregrino : 20 € with own bathroom, no breakfast.
http://www.hotelsearch.com/hotel/el-per ... el.es.html
Really really nice owners.

San Justo de la Vega ( just before Astorga if you don't want to stop there ). Hostal El Juli, 25 € with own bathroom...very very clean!!!
San Justo's public library has free internet ( across the road ).
http://11870.com/pro/hostal-juli-san-justo-de-la-vega

Vega de Valcarce : Pension Fernandez : 15 € for own room but shared facilities. Clean and very friendly!!
http://www.vegadevalcarce.net/aloja_amp.php?id=9

Palas de Rei : Vilarino. Bit more expensive : 35 € ( guess because closer to Santiago ) but own bathroom. Nice owner too.
http://11870.com/pro/hostal-vilarino

Arca : Pension Arca : 30 € got a room with three beds all for my own but had to share bathroom with one person. Again very clean.
http://www.pensionarca.blogspot.com/

Walked for five weeks and treated myself to a private room once a week ( although I only started to do this from Vega de Valcarce on ).

I also noticed that the albergue Ultreia ( Portomarin ) offers private rooms for reasonable prices. I also heard good reviews from the only hostal/ bar / restaurante in Calzadilla de la Cueza.
http://www.turwl.com/caminoreal/index.html

EDIT : Forgot El Rey Pastor in Logroño : 25 €. Took a hostal there because I wanted to go for tapas and did not want to be in before ten.
http://www.pensionreypastor.com/tarifas.html

You guys are unbelievably generous and kind. I hope to be able to repaid to you or pay it forward. I will continue to collect and compile and promise to post back with feedback and advice.

Keep then coming :wink:

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Olivares, the Miam Miam Dodo guide has a very complete listing and description of such accommodation. As a winter walker, I had few problems with prices and book-outs, finding perfectly fine rooms for as little as fifteen euros. On the other hand, if your are walking in May more places will be open for the season. I doubt that you'll have trouble with an upper limit of 40 euros.

With private accommodation, one can always ring ahead. My Movistar coverage was strong along the whole Camino Frances, at least when I checked it. Miam Miam gives all phone and email contacts - though I didn't find that necessary too often in Spain.

The only oddity: Miam Miam provides fewer suggestions for cities, on the understanding that pensions and hotels are so numerous that there's no point in trying to suggest one over another. Still, there are always some private places listed for cities.

The book is updated every year, so buy new. Even though it's in French, the layout is clear and you get very detailed but uncluttered route maps which focus strictly on the track and junctions. (I'm told they're adding some contouring etc to new editions.)

I haven't used other guides, since I'm a hardcore Miamist, so other suggestions on this thread could well be more useful than mine. Worth a mention, however.

Rob

Thanks Robertt on the recommendation for the Miam Miam Dodo guide. I had checked their website and even though in French it is sooo detailed and easy to use. I'll see if I can get a used copy around town. Thanks!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Sabine-- awesome details!! Many thanks!!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back