• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

please tell me what I can leave behind

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
Hi
We are planning on slowly walking Leon to Santiago (or Finisterre if we have time) from September 7 to 30. Proposed packing list is as follows, but I have some questions and do NOT want to carry any more than we need to. Please tell us if we could leave anything behind (bearing in mind that we will then have two weeks in England when we finish and I'm guessing it might be getting a bit cool there by mid-October)
2x shorts
1x long pants
2x t-shirts
1x long-sleeved shirt
Light fleece jacket
Rain jacket
3x undies
4x socks
2x bras for the females
Keens sandals
Flipflops/jandals/thongs
Sunhat
????thermal longjohns and thermal long sleeved top??????
Also, our youngest children have grandpa-made custom-sized thin microfleece sleeping bag liners - do you think they will need a sleeping bag aswell - if we can reduce their weight it would be ideal. Could they get by without a sleeping bag at all, or should they take one to share between two (they can top-n-tail on a bed)? I'm just not sure about how cold it will get at night (of course, they could wear all their clothes!!!)
Finally, I've read on this forum that the cooking facilities through Galicia are not as good as the rest of the Camino. Does that mean we are not going to be able to cook for ourselves? Or will we be able to if we carry a bowl and spoon for everyone and a sharp knife? Would we get by with that? (We're hoping to do at least some of our own cooking)
Thanks for your words of wisdom.

EDITED TO ADD: One more question - do we need to carry pegs/clothespins?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Assuming you're staying in a hotel in England (where it'll be likely cold/wet, not cool) I would leave behind:

1 shorts
1 tshirt
1 undies
2 socks
Either the keens OR the flip flops (assuming you're not walking in the Keens)
no thermals (if you find you need them in England go buy a cheap pair at M&S or ship them there to your hotel.)
no sleeping bag (wear long clothes to bed if necessary)
no bowl/spoon but if you find you *really* need them, pick up a cheapie while on the road
use safety pins instead of clothes pins. more secure and lighter.

I am walking the camino the same time and am also continuing my trip to England (though I won't be there until December). I am only carrying my camino gear and as I continue my trip I'll buy warmer stuff if/when I need it. For the 3 months after the camino I'll be in the Middle East (mostly) so I don't anticipate a big problem there but the UK will be COLD so I'm sending a box of warm layers to my friend in London that I'll get when I arrive. It might be an option for you.

Hi there, Kiwi family.

For those who have no difficulty regulating body heat you might consider the following, keeping in mind that the needs of Granpa and the youngest may differ:

From Leon to Rabanal the weather will probably be hot so you wonā€™t need thermals. From Rabanal onwards it is mountainous and temperatures can fluctuate dramatically. May I suggest that, using Correos de Listos in Leon, you post ahead your thermals to Rabanal or the closest PO to this village. Packages will be kept for two weeks.

The gear which you need for England you might post ahead to Santiago d C. A Camino storeage unit operates there. I canā€™t remember what itā€™s called. Ivar used to run it but somebody else does now. Rates are reasonable.

1x shorts (evening/sleeping in)
1x long pants (day time sun protection)
1x t-shirts (evening /sleep)
1x long-sleeved shirt (wicking, wear as you walk for sun protection)
Light fleece jacket
Rain jacket
2x undies (one pair on, one off)
2x socks (2 pairs socks, one on, one off)
2x bras for the females (or just one bra. Wear your fleecie when itā€™s drying on the line ļŠ)
Keens sandal
Flipflops/jandals/thongs
Sunhat
pegs or safety pins (Yes, and a double twisting bungy cord as clothes line just in case there's no room on the Albergue line)

I would include a Buff for your neck and/or an open weave cotton scarf to prevent sun scorching on your lower face.

Cheers,
Lovingkindness

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
rather than the double twisty bungy cord thingie, i prefer a length of the smallest gauge climbing rope (usually a couple mm) and a very small carabiner. it's lighter weight and has more uses IMO. You can go to any outdoor store that sells climbing equipment and get a length. tie the small 'biner on one end and you can loop it around your starting point and then tie the other end with a slip knot to the end point. sets up and takes down in seconds and my 10M length with safety pins fits in a snack-sized ziplock bag and weighs only a couple ounces. Plus, it's come in handy on more than one occasion when a shoe lace has broken at a bad time. :)

The difference between Galicia in September and England in October will be enormous! Average Galician temperatures in September are 11 deg minimum, 21 degs maximum, and rainfall on maybe seven days in the month.
England in October will make you wish you were back in Galicia. But do you REALLY want to carry English gear all the way along the camino? Or could you buy warmer clothing when you get to the UK? The UK average temperatures in October will probably be 6 degs minimum, 13 degs maximum, and rainfall on maybe 13 days in the month.
Clothes pegs and line are usually available in albergues, but I always carry half a dozen nappy-type safety pins, in case I need to pin damp knickers on my back-pack!!
Buen camino - you'll have a great time!
Stephen.

Leave behind all expectations and airy-fairy ideas of floating along in a cloud of spiritual bliss!

The path from Leon to about Hospital de Oribigo is alongside a busy highway - not nice. You might want to get a bus there or even to Astorga instead. The views from there on are some of the most spectacular on the whole trail.
The highest point on the Camino Frances is in the Irago mountains, just after Manjarin, and the path is mostly a rocky, stony, shale pit. If little feet, ankles, hips take strain between El Acebo and Molinaseca, walk on the road. It is a quiet road and was probably the historic path before it was tarred anyway!

Send your England holiday clothes to Santiago. You can collect them when you get there.
Address the parcel/bag as follows. (Costs between ā‚¬15 and ā‚¬25 for up to 60 days)

Pension Badalada
ATT: (Your Name)
Rua XelmĆ­rez, 3
15704 Santiago de Compostela

I envy you walking with your family and little ones, have a wonderful, blissful, spiritual floating walk!

The path from Leon to about Hospital de Oribigo is alongside a busy highway
Go the route to Villar de Mazarife, and you will avoid most of the highway walking after La Virgen del Camino. Tio Pepe in Villar is the best of the three albergues, in my opinion.

I think your list has too many duplicates, and I do not think you will need sleeping bags in September. The albergues have blankets, though sometimes you need to ask.

Buen camino.

Kiwi-family said:
Finally, I've read on this forum that the cooking facilities through Galicia are not as good as the rest of the Camino. Does that mean we are not going to be able to cook for ourselves? Or will we be able to if we carry a bowl and spoon for everyone and a sharp knife? Would we get by with that? (We're hoping to do at least some of our own cooking)....

Kiwi-family,

In Galicia the many albergues run by the Xunta de Galicia may have kitchens but these are often without much cutlery, dishes or pots. Private albergues, however, if they do have kitchens are usually adequately equipped. On the Euroski web site -- http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es./albergues/ starting with Etapa 24 on you can check who runs each Galician albergue and if it has a cocina or kitchen as well as find much additional information.

Buen Camino,

Margaret

i am not sure from your original post if this includes what you are wearing or not. However we have just retrned from Spain after starting in the colder April weather and finishing at the end of May.
We had zip off trousers so did not need shorts too. On starting we were wearing;-
T-shirt/vest, long sleeved shirt and mid weight fleece, undies and set of socks. I also had a long sleeved T-shirt as I feel the cold.
In our packs we had one complete change of clothes from the skin out, including a second light weight fleece
Extras were spare pants and liner socks (both of us) as it is easier if washing doesn't dry, scarf and silk gloves (me).
We also had trek towels, light sleeping bags, 8 plastic pegs and a bit of elastic line, ponchos and over trousers, crocs for when not wearing boots. I also had my longjohns for cool evenings and as pyjama bottoms and a hi-tec dress which doubled as a nightie. Plastic bagged I carried a spare tidy shirt for each of us for Santiago or emergency wear. Needed in Santiago.
All very lightweight and quick drying and all used at some point on our Camino.
No jackets, shorts or sandals.

My weight including pack, but not water was just over 6kgs, Terry's was just over 7kg as he had my sleeping bag, our mini medical kit, phone charger and toothbrushes.

I think if we had been going on elsewhere afterwards we would have bought stuff there if our Camino kit wasn't sufficient rather than carry it with us and making life harder for ourselves. As it was we returned across Spain, taking 2 weeks, still using our Camino kit and those 'spare' shirts.
Buen Camino and happy planning

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Your getting some great advice from some veteran Perigrinos here! I have to agree with ditching the extra pants..I had three pairs of zip off pants on our first Camino in 08 and wound up spending a fair bit to ship them home along with other extras!! And since the zip off hiking pants are also shorts..I'd say just ditch the shorts all together.

The only thing I'd propose for consideration, for those that run a little warmer..is cycling or running arm warmers. They allowed me to skip carrying a fleece. I had a thin windbreaker type jacket with a hood and a buff so with my technical tshirt, arm warmers made up a long sleeve shirt for me. Then as the day warmed I didn't have to change...just pull 'em down, roll 'em up and stow them. Just a suggestion that worked well for me.

Keep searching the forum and remember, you can always buy things along the way too. Your not dropping of the face of the earth here! My arm warmers were picked up by someone else in San Martin, so in Astorga I bought a new pair, now my favorite little momento from my trip. Every time I'm out cycling in chilly weather a little piece of a sweet bike shop in Astorga goes with me.

Buen Camino, Karin

Now it seems I've got my thinking all upside-down!
When we go hiking/camping in NZ we wear shorts during the day and then when the evenings get chilly, we pull on the longs. You are suggesting walking in longs and wearing shorts at night!

Another question: why the silk or nylon gloves?

One more: what is Spain like in comparison to France/Italy/Greece as far as sunburn goes? In NZ I burn within ten minutes of being outside during the day in summer (even though it may only be 18 degrees) When we were in Europe in the middle of a very hot summer (40 degrees and upwards), we did not burn once and did not even need to use sunscreen lotion.

We packed up all our gear today except toiletries.
The 6yo will not be required to carry anything other than herself!
The 8yo has 1kg (including pack - she is delighted because when we have done some walks recently we've had her carry 3kg which she copes with, but we have elected to reduce her load)
10yo has 3kg (he's been carrying 5kg, but gets moany after 10km)
12yo has 4kg (seems to be his optimum load)
14yo has 6.5kg
15yo has 7kg (he's a strong ox!)
16yo has 8kg (he's strong too, although weedy to look at!)
17yo has 8.5kg (she's as strong as her brothers!)
I have 9.5kg
Hubby didn't pack, but may take some of this weight as all that is left for him is his own gear plus camera and maybe laptop (the jury is out on that)
Grandpa said his pack comes in at 5kg.

The bad news is that this does not include any water or food. The good news is that we would take some of the clothes out to wear as we will not be walking starkers (although obviously we'll still be carrying them) Even shipping ahead just the fleece jackets could reduce the weights fairly significantly I think. (We have ditched the longjohns except for the little kids who will not have a sleeping bag, and the fourth pair of socks. Looked for the airy fairy ideas but couldn't locate them :lol: )
One other thing to consider is that we are not plkanning on walking 25-30km a day like most of you. We'll be more in the vicinity of 15km with the occasional 20-ish km max, so that is not as taxing (and we need to give the older kids enough weight to hold them back :wink: )

Thanks so much for your help. Really appreciate it (even if it looks like we're not taking it)

Kiwi-family said:
15yo has 7kg (he's a strong ox!)
16yo has 8kg (he's strong too, although weedy to look at!)
17yo has 8.5kg :| :|
Grandpa said his pack comes in at 5kg.

The bad news is that this does not include any water or food

Hello! I think you should really attempt to reduce the weight of these 3 packs of your elder children,plus your own. Of course,if you will be wearing some of this stuff, take these things out of the pack weight. Grandpa should NOT carry more!
Remember you will be carrying a lot of water and daily snacks, which is going to add to the weight. Maybe the two little ones could carry their water! You DO need sun protection. Buy a tube instead of a bottle - it weighs less. Anne

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My small 11yr old carried 3kg plus her water - she was fine with that, and i would not let her carry anymore, but she probably could have without a problem... She did have a very good backpack.

I would try to make sure its not more that 10% of their bodyweight...

On cold or wet mornings, your hands will get really cold. Lightweight gloves will keep them warmer! You don't need heavy gloves except in winter.

Hi kiwi-family
just wanted to address your question about cooking etc.
In December 2008 we met up with a South Korean family with seven children.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/33906174@N ... /lightbox/
Dad carried two large light weight aluminium pots. These were sufficient for cooking a pot of stew and a pot of rice for the whole family - very economically.
That time we stayed in the Xunta (state-run) albergues all the way through Galica. I think they all had kitchens, but half had very few utensils for cooking and eating. In Portomarin the cooker had been disconnected. Margaret in her post gives you good advice about how to check ahead.

PS there are a range of views as to how important it is to have very lightweight gear.

best wishes, tom

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
peregrino_tom said:
PS there are a range of views as to how important it is to have very lightweight gear.

Very diplomatic, Tom!

My 11-year-old carried a 5k pack last year. We took it for him about 15 minutes a day when he got tired, but other than that, he was fine.

I also think the weights seem really high. As stated above, target should be about 10% of body weight per person and, IMO, less for anyone under 18 who is still growing. I know that the bigger people are carrying the overflow for the smaller people but there should be a limit. If you really are down to just basics, perhaps you bring a "family duffel" that you load the extra/heavy stuff in each day - including your fleece for England - and pay to have it sent ahead. This will lighten everyone's load and make things easier and not add a whole lot of extra expense.

Use small bars of soap, and you only need one for the entire family (liquid soap is mainly water). Use soap for washing your hair.
Yikes!!!ONE bar of soap for 11 people - it will take forever to organise the "shower ritual" after the day's walk!!!Take a few and cut them in half and distribute between several members of the family! Same with toothpaste - at least 2 or 3 tubes. As far as shampoo is concerned, I collect some of these sachet samples that one finds in hotels, they weigh less than bottles. For clothes washing, I usually buy a block of soap in Spain and cut it in half, take one piece with me and leave one half in the Albergue. Anne

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

ā‚¬149,-
yeah, I vote for multiple bars of soap. :) As for shampoo, the solid shampoo cakes by Lush work amazingly well and weigh next to nothing. I'm carrying their solid shampoo, conditioner and lotion on my camino. One shampoo will last for the whole trip but I suspect I'll need 2 of the conditioner and lotions but it's still weighs less and I MUST have conditioner and lotion. :)

Apart from aforementioned clothing (and we have scaled back to two tshirts, one long sleeve, two shorts, one trousers, two undies, one bra, three socks, one sunhat, fleece, rainjacket, flipflops, thermal top - and thermal longjohns for the kids who will not have sleeping bags), we have seven sleeping bags, ten sleeping bag liners, ten pillowcases (could be ditched), nine journals, one guidebook, ten passports, one roll of toilet paper, one wad of tickets for England afterwards.
For the record, we have two small bars of soap and two tubes of toothpaste. We do not share toothbrushes :wink: But we will share a comb. We do not use cosmetics, unless you call a small bottle of rosehip oil cosmetic. We use baking soda in the place of shampoo and deodorant, and it washes clothes too.

The nice-to-have items we have included are:
10m length of 2mm cord and 48 safety pins
one ball of wool and knitting needles (100g!)
one pack of cards
one small box of watercolours
coloured pencils and sharpener
To me, these are not extravagances, but will enhance our journey as we are all avid journallers and like to express our creativity in this way.

Yes, some of the weight is in the packs. Three of them are good quality but not lightweight Macpac travel packs. We have them and so will use them - just cannot justify the cost of going out and buying new ones. The rest are Osprey lighterweight tramping packs. The clothing is definitely is definitely a big contributor (given that there's not really a kitchen sink hiding in there). We are just taking what we have. And that means, yes, cotton shirts, cotton shorts, cotton undies, yeah, actually cotton everything apart from woolen socks. And (gasp) jeans. No, not lightweight dry-fast zip-the-leg-off tramping trousers. Just what is already in our wardrobes. The fleeces are not particularly lightweight either. In fact, when I take out the fleeces (thinking of sending them ahead to Santiago) and the clothing we'd be wearing, it comes down to just on 6kg for each of the older kids and me to be carrying. We've been carrying that much on our trials walks and it really doesn't seem too heavy. We can do 15km with those packs very comfortably. Makes me wonder if our scales are wrong!
Thanks for all your help. It sharpens my resolve.

Kiwi-family said:
...The clothing is definitely is definitely a big contributor (given that there's not really a kitchen sink hiding in there). We are just taking what we have. And that means, yes, cotton shirts, cotton shorts, cotton undies, yeah, actually cotton everything apart from woolen socks. And (gasp) jeans. No, not lightweight dry-fast zip-the-leg-off tramping trousers. Just what is already in our wardrobes. The fleeces are not particularly lightweight either. In fact, when I take out the fleeces (thinking of sending them ahead to Santiago) and the clothing we'd be wearing, it comes down to just on 6kg for each of the older kids and me to be carrying. We've been carrying that much on our trials walks and it really doesn't seem too heavy. We can do 15km with those packs very comfortably. Makes me wonder if our scales are wrong!
Thanks for all your help. It sharpens my resolve.

I hope it doesn't rain! Be prepared to "invest" in some dryer time when you can so those clothes can dry thoroughly once in a while. I can't imagine the chaffing I'd get walking in wet jeans. I can understand not wanting to buy new stuff for everyone but if you have pants and a shirt made of blended fabrics (with polyester), I'd bring that instead.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Jeans are pretty much the worst item you can bring on a trip like this. They're heavy, bulky, cold when wet, take forever to dry and just an all-around pain in the buns. I would *strongly* recommend not bringing the jeans. If you can find the money in your budget (check out used clothes stores like Good Will) I'd replace those cotton shirts too. Cotton is hell to travel with.

You didn't mention towels, but if you use a sarong for a towel, it could also be your pillow case. Why are you bringing both a sleeping bag *and* a sleeping bag liner? I am only bringing the liner myself and I'll be hiking at the same time. If I find I'm getting cold a lot and my longs don't keep me warm enough, I'll buy a length of fleece from a fabric shop to line the liner with for extra warmth but from what I understand, most of the places on the camino have blankets if you ask.

Sleeping bag liner and sleeping bag as we'll need both in England (and I cannot bear being cold!)
We were thinking of walking in shorts and reserving the jeans for either a) England or b) if it was cooler in the evenings.
We travelled for 15 months in 2008/2009, did all our washing by hand, and we found what we took was OK (all natural fibres, lots of cotton, nothing quick dry). We nearly went bonkers after three weeks of rain in northern England, but we were living - eleven of us - in two small motorhomes and so if one person wanted to move, we all had to - in unison! Wet clothes were hanging everywhere. Using the toilet required someone else holding all the rainjackets over a bucket while the "toilet room/cupboard" was in operation.
Everyone had said not to take jeans, and we listened to them. We bought a pair for everyone after only a couple of months and did not regret doing so. To be honest, we only washed them when there was a heater available or the weather was favourable. Three weeks on the Camino would not seem too long to go without washing :wink:
BUT....I might yet be convinced to look for something lighter weight. UGGGH, shopping, not a favourite activity!
I feel you are swaying me though.....

I think you'll find there's a difference in having jeans while living in a caravan where you can leave them out all day to dry and having jeans that you may have to pack up and carry around on your back wet for days at a time if it's raining because they won't truly dry. And if they aren't dry, you really won't want to wear them so they're wasted weight *and* you'll have nothing else to wear. You're operating under the assumption that they'll only get wet if you choose for them to do so. That's not necessarily true, particularly if you're only bringing a rain jacket. :)

As for the sleeping bags, unless you're ALL strongly averse to the occasional chilly night, you might consider sending a few ahead to Santiago with your England clothes.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
i had planned my packing list so well...it was all micro light this...technical that etc etc.....then i read this thread!
in honour of my kiwi cousins..i'm swapping out out an ugly tech t- shirt for 2 old faded band t -shirts(guns and roses and motorhead)
my mico fibre slleping bag liner is still coming(hope it is warm)

the real thought bomb is jeans...i will walk in my trusted kilt..but i love jeans in towns...back to the drawing board for me

I'm not quite sure why you need a long sleeved top and a thermal top and a fleece. That seems redundant.

If it's warm, wear the tshirt.
If it's middling, wear the tshirt and the longsleeved top.
If it's cold, wear the tshirt and the longsleeved top and the coat. Fling in a buff and a pair of gloves, both of which weigh next to nothing, and you're fine.

Or replace the longsleeved top with a fleece, depending on your comfort levels/the garments, and layer in the same way. Or with the thermal top, and wear thermal top them shortsleeved tshirt for middling weather. You'll look slightly strange, but so does everyone else!

(I made some eccentric clothing choices - skirts instead of trousers - and they were right for me. So I understand what you say about going in clothing you know and trust rather than buying everything new. But those I saw in jeans were suffering. Imagine walking through six inch deep mud, getting caked to the knee, then having to scrub all that out by hand in cold water. Then putting the wet jeans back on the next day to repeat, with the wet seams chafing you raw. Frankly, you'd be better walking in shorts - you'd get cold legs, but skin washes easily and dries fast and won't be a soggy weight in your pack.)

Nel

If it's everyone's, it is no one's! That is as in, "Who left the toothpaste behind?" Some things are easy to share. Other things, not so much, and if they are light, duplication does not matter much. A bar of hotel soap does not weigh much. A sample/travel size toothpaste is about an ounce, and lasts a month if you use a pea-sized dollop on your toothbrush. A camino is an excellent opportunity for self-reliance. Parents can stop parenting; children can accept responsibility. Each person can decide the balance between weight and warmth in deciding on a sleeping bag or sleep sack (and live with the consequences). There are blankets everywhere in albergues, and are included in the price of a hotel room! I sense your three generations understand this already. Have fun and a buen camino.

PS: Spain is not a wilderness. If an earlier choice is not working, say one tube of toothpaste for the group, there are plenty of opportunities to amend the decision! Even an awful choice of footwear can be fixed in the larger towns.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I am going to suggest something not yet listed but which you will find very useful

The shower cubicles in the Xunta albergues do not have doors or curtains on them.
Men don't seem to worry but I have seen young women longing for a shower but not prepared to appear naked even in front of other women. In fact in one albergue i seem to remember it was mixed showers. that was where I decided I would forego the shower even though I could have done with it.

Right. So I suggest you get a piece of silk about one metre square. Put a hem top and bottom. Run a cord through each hem and attach to a hook on a suction cap. four suction caps and hooks Have some means of lenthening or shortening the cord such as a small square of plastic with two half inch nicks in it. This will give you privacy.

Your teenage children will greatly appreciate it.

Buen Camino to you all

vagabondette said:
Assuming you're staying in a hotel in England (where it'll be likely cold/wet, not cool) I would leave behind:

1 shorts
1 tshirt
1 undies
2 socks
Either the keens OR the flip flops (assuming you're not walking in the Keens)
no thermals (if you find you need them in England go buy a cheap pair at M&S or ship them there to your hotel.)
no sleeping bag (wear long clothes to bed if necessary)
no bowl/spoon but if you find you *really* need them, pick up a cheapie while on the road
use safety pins instead of clothes pins. more secure and lighter.

I am walking the camino the same time and am also continuing my trip to England (though I won't be there until December). I am only carrying my camino gear and as I continue my trip I'll buy warmer stuff if/when I need it. For the 3 months after the camino I'll be in the Middle East (mostly) so I don't anticipate a big problem there but the UK will be COLD so I'm sending a box of warm layers to my friend in London that I'll get when I arrive. It might be an option for you.

I agree with this suggestion! You will wear the same favorite TShirt or Shorts or Pants as they work best. You will wash them out. No sleeping bag as only 2 times in the entire Camino was I not given a blanket to go with my silk liner. I wore ski silks to bed and then had them as a layer if it got cold.

eeeek....we had decided to go with the advice and leave sleeping bags (having contacted the places we'll be staying in England to confirm that they would provide bedding)....now someone says we should take them!

Ah well, will tink some more...mabye while we are out scouting the goodwill stores today for lightweight trousers. Your insistence has proven useful!!!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Maybe bring a couple, but not one for each? Then if you run into an unusually cold night in a place that isn't equipped to deal with a group of 11 (though I don't see why they wouldn't be as the blanketing needs of a group of 11 isn't different than those of 11 individuals) the 2-3 people who feel the cold the worst can use the bags and donate their warmer clothes to the ones who aren't.

I am so excited! Today we managed to pick up nine pairs of lightweight trousers for NZ$80 (that's 50 euros, 40GBP). Tallest son's jeans weighed 740g; his new pants weigh 240g. We are set to go! We have also decided to pack thermal longjohns because we might need them under the light pants in England, they don't weigh much and we might wear them at night if there's a cool night in the Camino (they're lighter than a sleeping bag)

Thanks everybody for your input. Much appreciated. 80 days till we fly to Paris - oh it make the heart flutter.

The 6yo will not be required to carry anything other than herself!
Please can I humbly suggest that your 6 year old carries a small childs pack, perhaps with a tiny water bottle (about 200-250ml) and some small items that don't weigh much. That way she will be 'like everyone else' without being overloaded.
Our younger grand-daughter has carried a mini pack on Dartmoor carrying just such a bottle, a pocket kite and her plastic poncho quite happily. We saw two young children on the Camino in May, aged about 5 and 7, and both had little packs. All part of the fun.
Just a thought
Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

ā‚¬46,-
I'd like to second Tia Valeria's suggestion that the little one at least carries her (his?) own water. I've certainly never done anything as long as the Camino with children, but I did do a lot of backpacking/hiking with my girls when they were little. The main advantage, for me, of having even the youngest children carry their own water is that it is very easy to tell if they've been drinking enough when they have their own supply. Once I caught on to this system we avoided a lot of cranky end of the day headaches that were caused by mild dehydration. Also just a suggestion!

I'm in two minds over the smallest carrying water. When we started doing longer walks (10km+) she carried a small bag "to be like the others" and besides, it was pink.....she struggled a bit and when I took the bag for her, she managed to keep going. So we stopped her carrying anything and made her "special job" to walk without asking to be carried. Admittedly, she was younger then. I still tend to think 20km is quite a stretch for little legs, even though she does 15 easily now. I lean towards "biassing for the best" for the smaller people, but will readily push big kids who can be reasoned with and of whom you can expect more to their limits.
Swaying on this one. We did see a child-sized hydration pack which carries 1.5l of water which seems great for her - but at $100, it's just too pricey. When we take our next walk, we'll give her one of the hydration packs we already have and see how that works. Always willing to try....

Kiwi-family said:
I still tend to think 20km is quite a stretch for little legs, even though she does 15 easily now. I lean towards "biassing for the best" for the smaller people, but will readily push big kids who can be reasoned with and of whom you can expect more to their limits.

Crumbs! If your SIX year old will happily walk 15 kms I wouldn't burden her with anything on her back. IF she shows any signs of feeling 'left out' - which I doubt - you might find something which will go in her pocket, or maybe a bum bag. But come on, she's only SIX. She just wants to be with you and enjoy the fun! The next thing will be someone suggesting she should be sharing the driving to the airport ....
Buen camino - for ALL of you!
Stephen [who has four grandchildren and knows kids quite well]

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

ā‚¬46,-
Thanks for those words Stephen. We have always had pretty high standards for our kids and people have routinely suggested we expect too much of them (but I figure if my ten year old WANTS to cook dinner for eleven for a whole week, he's entitled to try...and then when he proved capable we put him on the the regular roster - at his insistence!!)
I think this may have been the first time EVER someone has said we were not expecting enough. We have gone walking with other families' much older kids and they have grizzled from kilometre 3 onwards, and so we are pleased that our six year old manages twelve or so before stating she's feeling a bit tired. So far we have stretched her to fifteen, but hope to do the odd 20km day and I have an inkling that extra 5km will seem longer than the rest put together!
By the way, here's my tip for encouraging kids to walk happily. When they say they are tired, we let them sit down for as long as they need. They dictate when they are ready to get up and move on again. Yes, this can be a pain if you're in a good rhythm, but for us, walking together is about considering each other's needs and encouraging each other. So far the longest break we have ever had has been about three minutes! We do NOT bring out food at these breaks, they are simply a rest for tired feet to help them get energy to keep going. As far as eating en route goes, we try to guage where everyone is at and provide snack breaks BEFORE they are asked for - we do NOT want to get into the habit of walking and having someone ask, "Are we there yet?" or whinging, "I'm hungry" We've found if the kids sense we will take care of their needs, they are comfortable with letting us do exactly that.

Kiwi-family said:
I'm in two minds over the smallest carrying water.
Swaying on this one. We did see a child-sized hydration pack which carries 1.5l of water which seems great for her - but at $100, it's just too pricey. When we take our next walk, we'll give her one of the hydration packs we already have and see how that works. Always willing to try....
We have had several extrememly hot days here in UK and I have been glad our 7 & 8 year old grandchildren were carrying their water bottles as we could check on how much they had drunk. (Which reminded me of this thread)
We are not talking hydration packs here but 300ml bottles which we keep refilling. An empty supermarket water bottle will do as they are 50gms lighter than the 'proper' metal ones. They also had a snack bar each, total weight carried is probably about 400gms including the pack and metal bottle, plus water. A Sil sac would weigh only 68 gms, plus bottle plus water. If we were starting again I would get them a sil sac each as it is the pack that makes the permanent weight. Round town we found our sil sacs useful as we didn't have to unpack one of the big packs for 'sightseeing'
Buen Camino whatever you decide

update from us:

8 year old is still carrying her 2kg backpack with all her clothes and toothbrush, no troubles.
6 year old has done a few walks now with her big sister's 2litre hydration pack. She has not complained at all, despite only managing to carry the 8yo's (same weight) pack for about 100m when she wanted to try it out one day. We also did a walk where she carried a 500ml water bottle slung over her shoulder - this was cause for a minor grizzle at one stage.
Without a doubt, the hydration pack that fits well is the best option for her. Clearly the fact that it fits her comfortably is significant. A different child might respond differently.

Glad to hear it is going well and you are finding what fits and suits best
Buen Camino

I don't understand using a mattress cover. If you put it over a mattress that had bed bugs and then took it off, put it back in your pack and then put it back onto the mattress at your next stop, wouldn't you just be spreading bed bugs into your pack and every bed that you use from that point on? What is the piece of information that I am missing?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

ā‚¬149,-
John has it correct. The fitted twin sheet..treated with permatherin is what is discussed.
Some are using them and they have been discussed in another forum.
The basic theory is that the sheet will form a block between the dreaded BBs and the pilgrim.
A lightweight fitted twin sheet. Washed many times to make it lighter and remove any factory starches, etc. Many of the ladies seem to favor a light silk or silky material sewed into a fitted sheet configuration with elastic on the corners. Sewing skills required :wink:
I actually may try this next time as it also gets you and your kit a little barrier from the sketchy mattresses in some albergues.

I walked the Camino del Norte last September 2012 and the weather was very hot.....average around 80* and never rained on any day we walked. The women were wearing halter tops or quick dry T's and shorts every day.
One pair of sandals. I wish I had had more dry socks. My waterproof boots made my feet sweat & cook in that heat. I needed more dry socks. Have a wide brim hat & good sunblock for arms, legs & face/neck.

Re: the bedbugs, I wouldn't worry about it. Your sleeping liner should be more than enough to keep you protected. And even if you do get bitten (which I was, a couple of times) it is really no more uncomfortable than a small mosquito bite.

Re: packing. Make sure everyone wears lightweight hats and invest in some good quality sunglasses, especially for the little ones. Cheap glasses will absolutely kill your eyes, and you will definitely get headache complaints. As far as clothes, what I did was sleep in the next day's outfit. I only had two pairs of clothes changes. I'd get to the albergue, wash my clothes as I was showering, and put on the next day's outfit to go to bed. This cut back on A LOT of morning prep time (and gave me a couple extra minutes' sleep), which I can imagine will be needed with such a large family. Definitely make sure your socks are the double-lined kind, which will prevent blisters.

Only you and your family know your individual needs, and the accommodations that should be made. I knew that I get cold easily, and can't sleep if I'm chilly, so I wore long-sleeve shirts and socks to bed. If you know little ones or Grandpa will get cold, maybe pack lightweight long-johns (or have them snuggle! Body heat! :lol: )

Another thing no one has mentioned, probably because it's entirely unrelated to this thread, but have you considered calling ahead to make reservations at albergues? Last summer, I traveled with a group of 10 and we had to do that practically every day. Unless you are willing to have the family split up, you will probably have to know in advance where you will be staying every night. And I'm sure you already know this, but make sure the family brushes up on albergue etiquette before departure. Big groups are always unintentionally noisy (we certainly were! :oops: )

Buen Camino!
-Alli

the kitchen sink

oh, & I met a Canadian woman who'd brought a ball gown. not kidding. you could probably leave that at home too...

Do you know Decathlon?? It's a massive outdoorsy store, French I think, dotted about all over Europe. You could walk in wearing just your skids & come out fully kitted for your expedition of choice... Not a big brand shop & cheapcheap. Seriously, you should check it out. Think Warewhare meets Bivouac meets Farmers meets Stirling Sports - all good gear, from altitude wrist watches to kayaks to swim goggles to torches to sun screen to sleeping bags & packs & shoes & & &...& so on & so on. Nothing like it back home. You're gonna love it!

https://www.decathlon.co.uk

One more question - do we need to carry pegs/clothespins?
- a lightweight nylon line is indispensable & pegs are an essential - that said, safety pins work even better. I just pin them to the outside of my pack - sweet as! The nylon chord is a washing line, ties up my tarp when i feel like a wee moe in the shade along the way, cut bits off for ties & busted shoe laces & pack straps, hang stuff up at the end of my bunk overnight (socks & undies & stuff)...

8 year old is still carrying her 2kg backpack with all her clothes and toothbrush, no troubles.
6 year old has done a few walks now with her big sister's 2litre hydration pack. She has not complained at all, despite only managing to carry the 8yo's (same weight) pack for about 100m when she wanted to try it out one day...
- legend!! who's carrying the weetbix??

kia kaha!

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.