• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Please Use Tags!

notion900

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
>
Just to draw folks' attention to the Tags function. When starting a new thread, please tag your post if you are contributing some information that you want to be easily searchable in the future - this forum is getting very very busy and within a day or so, posts get buried at the bottom of the page, and then lost in the mists of time. This is especially true on the Camino Frances section, which is why I am posting this request there.

How?
Tags are search terms. When starting a thread, just click in the tags field below your first post. Start typing a word that sums up your subject matter, and it will predict some options. You can invent new ones if none of the options seems to fit. Several tags might be needed which mean the same thing e.g. alternative ways, alternative routes, alternative camino, because you are trying to predict the words someone might type in when searching. Don't worry about using too many tags, too many are better than too few.

If you have a substantial piece of info or research you have done, please consider contributing to the Camino Resources area (tab at the top of the screen). I didn't realise anyone could contribute to this until one of the moderators told me.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Just to draw folks' attention to the Tags function. When starting a new thread, please tag your post if you are contributing some information that you want to be easily searchable in the future - this forum is getting very very busy and within a day or so, posts get buried at the bottom of the page, and then lost in the mists of time. This is especially true on the Camino Frances section, which is why I am posting this request there.

How?
Tags are search terms. When starting a thread, just click in the tags field below your first post. Start typing a word that sums up your subject matter, and it will predict some options. You can invent new ones if none of the options seems to fit. Several tags might be needed which mean the same thing e.g. alternative ways, alternative routes, alternative camino, because you are trying to predict the words someone might type in when searching. Don't worry about using too many tags, too many are better than too few.

If you have a substantial piece of info or research you have done, please consider contributing to the Camino Resources area (tab at the top of the screen). I didn't realise anyone could contribute to this until one of the moderators told me.
There are so many things about using this forum that I do not understand and I'm not very confident at experimenting. Thank you for taking the time to post this detailed lengthy explanation of Tags. I appreciate it!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
By all means, make it easy. We don't want to require actual effort to complete a Camino. ❤️
Is that meant to be sarcastic? Many people on this forum are quite elderly and they are doing well with computers just by being here. Tags is something that can help everyone, and means that people's genuine attempts to help others are not just buried in chit chats. Why would you post so much on a forum as you do, yet have a problem with improving the functionality of it?

Tags are search terms.
It appears that the search box at the top of the page uses a full text search algorithm to locate posts which contain the given search term.

Just to draw folks' attention to the Tags function.
To test this, I searched on the word "function" which is not one of the tags assigned to your post but is found in the body of the text.
Viola!, the third and fourth search result was for "Please Use Tags!".

¡Buena publicación! ,
=jgp

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Last time I tried to add a tag it didn't work. The search seems OK without it unless using the 'tag' term itself. Then you need to know how it was tagged :)

By all means, make it easy. We don't want to require actual effort to complete a Camino. ❤️[/QUOTE
Good info on the use of a tool provided by Ivar on the forum. Someone more sceptical than myself might suggest that a person commercially active in providing information and or planning guidance might find reason to object to individuals having an easier time finding information on their own. I'm glad I am not sceptical.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I tried a search this morning looking for the location of the SJPP postal office and got no results on the forum - nor anywhere actually but it's a minor deal and I let go of it. Pretty sure someone as sometime has asked/spoken about postal offices on this forum - so its not universally functional without TAGs. Full text searches do have their limits and issues so you shouldn't rely upon them completely. Thanks for taking the time spent explaining this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried a search this morning looking for the location of the SJPP postal office and got no results on the forum - nor anywhere actually but it's a minor deal and I let go of it. Pretty sure someone as sometime has asked/spoken about postal offices on this forum - so its not universally functional without TAGs. Full text searches do have their limits and issues so you shouldn't rely upon them completely. Thanks for taking the time spent explaining this and standing up to the bully.

Here you go

http://www.annuaire-mairie.fr/poste-saint-jean-pied-de-port.html

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Can I just clarify further, in response to the comments above, at great risk of being boring and pedantic.

The point of tags is to be systematic about trying to predict in advance how someone might be searching for your material in the future. Using a rather crude example, I could write an extremely useful post about that fantastic luggage holding service called Lista de Correos, but if I don't happen to mention the word parcels in my thread title or text, and someone then searches 'parcels', they will not find it. Or they might search under poste restante, or baggage holding. They will not find my post unless I used the same terminology as they do. But if I had spent a minute to tag it with all those terms, it will always be found.

You shouldn't 'need to know how it was tagged' - it's the role of the person adding the tags to use a bit of imagination on what interest it might hold for others, and how they might be searching. That's why more tags is better.

Saying 'the search seems ok' means it brings up some results, that's all. You don't know about the ones it missed.

If it's just chitterchatter, funnies, moans, pilgrim introductions etc it doesn't need tags. If a thread develops with great info further down, the tags can be edited or added to by the original poster. This secures the value of the input for the future.

The better the quality of the search results, the more people are likely to use it rather than posting the same questions over and over again.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Please, just let us enjoy the forum. Those who feel the need to 'tag' can, and the rest of us can carry on as before.

Indeed. I prefer to use the search option.
But again this forum is a bit like walking a Camino/ pilgrimage. Some like to come fully prepared with lots of guides/ apps etc...Others like to experiment and just go with the flow...
It is all good ,IMHO...:)

Many people on this forum are quite elderly and they are doing well with computers just by being here.

Not sure who this applies to :rolleyes:. Some of us were writing "basic" programmes for the Sinclair Spectrum decades ago - and have moved on with developments from there on in :):)

Blessings
Tio Tel

Not sure who this applies to :rolleyes:. Some of us were writing "basic" programmes for the Sinclair Spectrum decades ago - and have moved on with developments from there on in :):)

My father-in-law who is rapidly approaching 80 years old began his programming career in the days of room-sized valve computers, wrote a textbook on machine code level programming for the Spectrum, and still spends his days inventing very complicated ways of doing unlikely things with computer software and hardware. I think he might be a little miffed to be congratulated on the ability to use a web browser.... :rolleyes:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A lot of older people are not so confident though: like my mother. And the forum is a social medium - even people who 'know computers' aren't necessarily adept users of social media.

Those Spectrums were wonderful. Our children learned to code with them and ours was all of 48k, the big model. :)

My Dad dug his old zx81 out recently. He was quite annoyed that it had stopped working. I dared him to take it back to the shop.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Our son bought a 2nd hand ZX81 (back in the 1980s) and it, as well as the Spectrum still work. We have the tape recorder that went with them too, and the Spectrum coding book.
The Spectrum was bought as a 16k model and my grandmother, then well into her 90s, was fascinated by it. When she died she left us a little money. We had the 16k Spectrum factory updated to 48k in her memory. Those were the days.:)

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back