• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Please what type of sandals/shoes for walking the Camino ?

Fab

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Polaco (2016)
My sons are going on the Camino Polaco (Poland) for about 550km. We've bought Lowa Renegade II GTX for walking the Camino. Also, we are told to buy sandals for slow walks in villages in order to rest and ventilate the feet, for example Crocs Yukon two straps mule or sport clog. I was thinking buying sandals for walking the camino in case the Lowa wouldn't be good for it. But I guess these wouldn't be the same type as the ones just for relaxing the feet ? What are your experiences with the sandals and the Camino ?

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Just make sure they are light and that socks can be worn with them. Tired, cold, wet, swollen feet don't want to be crammed into a toe strap. I have a pair of Merrill's that are very light weight and comfortable. I have never carried Crocs - they seem so huge!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Last year I walked the 840km of the Norte, and about 500km of the Camino Frances in Ecco Off-Road (men's) sandals. I'll be walking in the same sandals this year.

I walked two Caminos with Lowa boots (non gtx) without any issues. Currently got the renegade LL also without gtx. I don't know what Camino polaco trails are like. But the Renegades are one of the best lightweight supportive boots i ever used. My favourite sandals are ecco. I use ecco Yucatan sport. May be they are marketed by different name elsewhere.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I wear Keen Arroyo II sandals for walking (not just after walking--for that I carry Sockwa slippers--much lighter). They are basically a hiking boot sole married to a sandal top (for ventilation in the heat and quick drying in the rain). They replaced the Keen Newports I bought in Leon to finish the CF (after numerous footwear errors). With the Arroyo IIs, I can replace the insolves orthotic insoles (to date, I prefer Sole, but am about to test Spenco). I used them on an Italian pilgrimage last summer (hot, hot, hot), and walking the John Muir trail last fall (American mountains. Very high. Snowed one day). Other than the day it snowed, I've been very happy with them. Note: I also carry athletic running/walking shoes for all of the concrete and asphalt (and walking in two pair of shoes seems to help my feet). YMMV.

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

The Camino in Poland in mainly flat. Thanks for the answers ! I'm happy, I feel we will get there somehow. We will see if the stores (Canada) have either of the sandals and I'll keep in touch. Are you choosing the sandals size one or two higher up?

As it's my son's first camino, we are very confused. We read a lot about equipment in books and on the internet but... practice is another story. I'm to read soon the Hiking shoes or hiking boots? Thread.

Yesterday, my son wore his new Lowa shoes (Renegade II Lo GTX) at home for a couple of hours and he found that the left foot was inconfortable. I guess we have to check if he is lacing them incorrectly? or his left foot's natural bump on top of the feet's ark will be a problem (he has that proeminent bump on both feet) – see the arrow on the image (not his foot). His feet are slightly flat – 5% I think (and the doctor told us a correcting insole would not prevent blisters...) the flatness is more obvious on the left side than on the right. Also those Lowa are really heavy compared to normal sneakers and perhaps woudn't be confortable to trek with? Do you know of anywhere on the net to find out a compared chart of trekking shoes weight ? I am wondering if the Keen shoes that he tried on would have been a better choice but they fit too perfectly in the store and our fear was that they would no longer be perfect after use. Also, it seemed the soles were not vibram and the feet are not as supported as in the Lowa because the shoe is much less rigid. Has anyone has Keen shoes on the Camino?

Is it true that you have to buy one or even two shoe size higher ??? because if true, I think he bought the shoe really tight. He tried them with a smart whool socks on (medium tickness, whool 73%), with the 9 ½ his right little toe was squeezed a little, so we took the 10 size in which his feet can move a little when he walks but the little toe is ok. He doesn't like when the feet float in the shoes...

Another thing is that he has perhaps some hyper sweating from the feet. The doctor told us to get 100% wool socks some years before. We tried I think was 80% whool with no difference in the redness of the toes (in winter only). Does anyone has this problem? Would the 100% whool be the solution? What store do you buy them?

My older son has a 12 size Lowa Renegade II GTX since two years. Do you think they would make the Camino (550km)? (I just read that changing the sole would be a good idea, but regular or special?) Also he says the shoe is one or one and half size bigger he but never had problems walking short distance with them (6-10 km). He is considering changing to a lower size as blisters come when the foot is floating in the shoe I guess. Do you wear one or two size up shoes for the Camino?

Attachments

• foot bump.jpg
    foot bump.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My sons are going on the Camino Polaco (Poland) for about 550km. We've bought Lowa Renegade II GTX for walking the Camino. Also, we are told to buy sandals for slow walks in villages in order to rest and ventilate the feet, for example Crocs Yukon two straps mule or sport clog. I was thinking buying sandals for walking the camino in case the Lowa wouldn't be good for it. But I guess these wouldn't be the same type as the ones just for relaxing the feet ? What are your experiences with the sandals and the Camino ?
Ecco Walking Sandals - they are brilliant, comfortable and keep your feet supported for every type of terrain. But you will need boots as well for the wet days and there is mud!

Ecco Walking Sandals - they are brilliant, comfortable and keep your feet supported for every type of terrain. But you will need boots as well for the wet days and there is mud!

I have that bump too on both feet, the right being more prominent. There is a name for it, tho I can't remember, basically it's a bone buildup. For me it's makes wearing some lace-up shoes intolerable. I try to look for shoes with a "high volume", and laces that don't criss-cross exactly over the bump. Additionally, on my hiking shoes, I change the lacing to the "high arch" style, leaving the space over my bump. Finally, on my last Camino, I wore Teva Terri-Fi sandals for at least half the time!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    85.4 KB · Views: 13
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My two nephews wore light boots, one size larger than was normally comfortable. I ensured they were correctly laced and advised they could always add an insole or wear thicker socks. Not one complaint received.
Regards
Gerard

Last year I walked the 840km of the Norte, and about 500km of the Camino Frances in Ecco Off-Road (men's) sandals. I'll be walking in the same sandals this year.
AAh Kanga, this is why you are sympathetic to my 'barefoot' tendencies (apart from diremudzones). Did you wear socks to keep stones etc out?

Hi @newgabe no, no socks. I did not find stones a problem, a little pebble would get in occasionally but I tap the front of my foot on the ground and it comes out through the opening. I don't worry about getting wet feet and mud washes off. I do take a pair of Sealskinz waterproof socks in case it is very cold, but only wear them a couple of times. Walking in wet feet might not suit some people, it might give them blisters, but my feet and skin are obviously pretty tough. And I love not having to wash socks each day!

My friend Robyn also walks in Ecco Off-Road sandals, but she does wear socks.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I bought some Teva Tirra sandals (on sale Amazon $26!) which are so comfortable to wear for hot feet. Months ago i bought some Columbia ankle high boots which i loved but they're so heavy. Finally, last pair: a month ago I bought a pair of New Balance "Cush" walking/ running sneaks, a half size larger. The toe box is huge and I can spread my toes completely without any rub. I did a lace lock tie and I may never wear another kind of shoe again. I'm walking 8 miles a day right now on concrete with a full pack and for me, total comfort. Just sayin'.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.