• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pls help me decide: Camino Porto or Geneva-LePuy Route?

SherlyC

Time of past OR future Camino
CF Sep, 2018
CP May, 2019
Hi pilgrim friends,
After my first pilgrimage Camino Frances last year, I blocked my calendar for late July-mid August this year to do a second camino. Since a while already I am not able to decide which one to do, either the Camino Porto or Geneva-Le Puy. Time-wise and language-wise I am flexible and don't have much constraints but I've started to have some joint pains in my hand and toes which i think is an early Rheumatoid Arthritis. I do feel that I have less energy in general than last year.
I already bought guide books to both routes and have been scanning and also have been reading some blogs too but I really can't decide. I'd love to hear your thoughts so I can finally decide and get packing!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi pilgrim friends,
After my first pilgrimage Camino Frances last year, I blocked my calendar for late July-mid August this year to do a second camino. Since a while already I am not able to decide which one to do, either the Camino Porto or Geneva-Le Puy. Time-wise and language-wise I am flexible and don't have much constraints but I've started to have some joint pains in my hand and toes which i think is an early Rheumatoid Arthritis. I do feel that I have less energy in general than last year.
I already bought guide books to both routes and have been scanning and also have been reading some blogs too but I really can't decide. I'd love to hear your thoughts so I can finally decide and get packing!
The Geneva route is quite challenging with constant ups and downs and often loose stony/rocky and slippery surfaces. It is wonderful and not crowded, but if your body is showing signs of wear and tear, not so good.
Porto to Santiago is more urban, but really easy and you can keep the distances shortish if you need to, as there are plenty of accommodation options.

The Geneva route is quite challenging with constant ups and downs and often loose stony/rocky and slippery surfaces. It is wonderful and not crowded, but if your body is showing signs of wear and tear, not so good.
Porto to Santiago is more urban, but really easy and you can keep the distances shortish if you need to, as there are plenty of accommodation options.
When I walked from Le Puy to Santiago in 2014 I met a pilgrim who was about 50-60 who had started in Geneva. He was a very experienced Alpine hiker and said the route was very challenging. He loved it but he convinced me it probably was not for me.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am not going to disagree with any of the above comments, but don't underestimate the effect of walking on asphalt or similar surfaces on your joints, Porto to Santiago has a Iot of it.I have walked a few routes and it's not the mountainous rocky routes that take me down but long stretches on asphalt and the constant hard impacts that play havoc with my right knee, I have quite good cushioning insoles they help a little.

Geneva was on my list this year but foot problems made me wary so im walking in spain.personally I'd avoid porto. ..last time i did it from lisbon i noticed it was appreciably busy from porto and crowded from tui.
I once went from briancon to pamplona and that was pretty challenging. I noticed the tracks were t a king me up and down hills so sometimes i took the road which was usually quite flat

Having walked both Geneva to Le Puy and Porto to Santiago, I would say the Porto route is a doddle, especially if you keep your distances smallish. Have you considered the Madrid route? It is largely on natural paths and very quiet. Apart from one mountain crossing on good paths, it is flattish and the paths are wide and easy to walk on. It is quite solitary, well marked and quiet.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi pilgrim friends,
I walked the Portuguese coastal route from Porto in May - while I agree there are many and regular places to stay, we found it was necessary to book several days in advance. Also, there are lots of cobblestones which I found hard on the feet. I’ve no experience of walking from Geneva but have you thought of walking Le Puy to SJPdP? Varied route through delightful scenery.

Thanks so much my lovely pilgrim friends! Really love and appreciate your comments. Thanks so much for sharing your thought. I think i’m leaning towards Porto because it’s cooler and there are more urban areas for taking breaks. I am (only) 40yrs old but rheumatoid arthritis is taking a toll on me. Toes and hands are always hurting. I think i will have to take frequent breaks and do shorter days.
I feel that i should still do this camino while i can. Who knows if i will be able to next year? Time is so precious!

Thanks so much my lovely pilgrim friends! Really love and appreciate your comments. Thanks so much for sharing your thought. I think i’m leaning towards Porto because it’s cooler and there are more urban areas for taking breaks. I am (only) 40yrs old but rheumatoid arthritis is taking a toll on me. Toes and hands are always hurting. I think i will have to take frequent breaks and do shorter days.
I feel that i should still do this camino while i can. Who knows if i will be able to next year? Time is so precious!
It is... Good luck and enjoy! Bien Camino!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I haven't been on the Geneva-Le Puy or the Madrid*. But one thing to consider was what it was that you liked most about the Camino that you have done already? Was it the time spent in company of other pilgrims or the time for solitary reflection on the trail? If it was more the former, then that would be another thing in favour of the Porto route. If the latter, than a less travelled route might be better for you. One thing about the Camino from Porto is that it does give a lot of options for short days. I'm not sure if the same can be said for the less travelled routes, which tend to have less infrastructure as a rule, though I can't speak specifically to these ones.

* The Madrid is near the top of my list for future Caminos, though. I want to walk it from the front door of where I used to live. Currently living in Canada, walking from my front door isn't really an option, so that would be the closest thing.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! My partner and I are preparing to do around 7 days of the Camino Portuguese route, starting at the end of April. We're flying to Porto from Edinburgh, and looking at the best route to...
Will be walking the CP in Aug/Sep with planning clearly focused to staying (for the most part) on the Litoral. However, (using Brierley's Guide) the stage from A Ramallosa to Vigo sets up quite a...
Doing research for my upcoming Camino, I want to connect from coastal to central in Caminha. According to JB the ecopista is pleasant along the river, but I notice Stingy Nomads recommend the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back