• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Plug for Europe

OzAnnie

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Oct/Nov 2022_Mozarabe from Almeria
Hi
I recently read somewhere on forum ? That in Spain they use the plug for Southern Europe. Are there different wall socket plugs for northern Spain ?
I bought the Europe plug to connect to iPhone in Spain 2 years ago and don’t need to carry the additional adapter from Australia as I only need to charge my phone. This time I’ll later be travelling in Hungary, Romania and Bulgaria. Will my plug that is okay for Spain be okay up there too ?
Thankyou
Annie

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
According to this site, Spain and most of continental Europe use the same outlets. The adapter you bought for Spain will be fine.

https://whatplug.info/

Expanding on your question:

Portable USB devices come with adapters that can handle a full range of 110-240V and 50-60Hz, covering most of the world’s electrical systems.

Physical plugs come in more varieties than the electricity they deliver. The complete list is pretty bizarre, which is why you’ll find travel adapters with a bunch of funky plugs intended to cover the whole world.

Here’s a nice map. (For some reason my phone wants to post this twice.)

https://lifehacker.com/this-map-shows-what-power-adapters-you-need-for-a-ton-o-1632146546

E8F2EB0A-4C68-4151-8DA5-1386B5217352.pngE8F2EB0A-4C68-4151-8DA5-1386B5217352.png

There are a number of plug and sockets in use in Europe but the differences are whether they have a third grounding pin and the shape. The shape varies and is used to help align the pins and to make it difficult to accidentally pull the plug partly out and thus short circuit a live connection. However a type C plug will fit all these outlets. It will not fit the outlets used in the UK, Ireland, Gibraltar, Malta or Cyprus though.

More information (probably more than you want to see) is on Wikipedia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europlug
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_power_plugs_and_sockets

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I recommend buying a wall charger with 2 usbs there. I have one I bought in sweden and it works in spain best thing I ever did. No more carrying multiple connectors to charge different USB devices

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.