• PLEASE NOTE: Please think twice before you travel to Spain now. More here.

Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

PM vs Forum post

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Hi all,

As 2009 starts and things are getting busier in the forum, I thought I would remind everyone the difference between sending a Private Message (PM) and a forum post.

Some times you would like to send a message to a fellow forum member. If this message it addressed to a certain member (and not to the whole pilgrim community) you should be sending a PM. To send a PM, look under the members user name. You will see a small icon with a figure on it and it says PM. Hovering the mouse over it, it will say Private Message. Press it and send a PM to this user.

Things posted in the forum, should in general be information that is useful to all of us.

Saludos from a freezing Santiago,
Ivar

N

nathanael

Ivar thanks got reactivated have a great time winter here is bad seems we are getting old fashion winter. WE are wondering where Global Warming is cause we sure dont see it here..
n

A

Anonymous

ermmmm .. isn't that a pm post rather than a forum one Nathaniel ....? :wink:

spursfan

Veteran Member
I sent a PM to Br David saying "but surely then you should have sent a PM to Nathaniel not a general post" - and I'm only posting this because he asked me to - I hope the difference between when to send a PM and when to send a general posts is now clear!

A

Anonymous

Absolutely! and now, since the Fab and funny pm from Spursfan - and this is for general forum consumption, not a pm - I have since received a complaining pm telling me that I have missed the point of this thread and them trying to explain to me what this topic is about! and how important it is to understand it :shock:

so is humour dead on this forum? or just snoozing ... :roll:

Of course Ivar is right to post that ... we all know that

A

Anonymous

Br. David said:
so is humour dead on this forum? or just snoozing ...

No idea, but surely, you should send a PM to Humour to wake him up, instead of asking the question on the Forum? Maybe Ivar should advise on this: it's more complicated than we thought. :?

Gareth

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
PM's are fine for comments, personal messages etc, but I'd hate to think that general information that would benefit everyone is only being shared via PM's :cry:

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
sillydoll said:
PM's are fine for comments, personal messages etc, but I'd hate to think that general information that would benefit everyone is only being shared via PM's :cry:
I agree, messages useful for everyone is great in a post. Messages directed at one person with information not relevant for others, is a good candidate for a Private Message (PM).

Saludos,
Ivar

Bridget and Peter

Camino(s) past & future
Home to Reims 2007
Reims to Limoges 2008
Camino Ingles 2009
Limoges to Gernica 2009
Gernica to San Vicente de la Barquera 2010
San Vicente to La Isla 2012
La Isla to Santiago Sept/Oct 2014
ivar said:
I agree, messages useful for everyone is great in a post. Messages directed at one person with information not relevant for others, is a good candidate for a Private Message (PM)

But might not that information be of use to another forum member? If not now, at a later time, when they might be searching for just that bit of advice or knowledge?

And so many of the little comments (eg see above) which seem to be directed to one person - like a witty or joshing remark in a conversation - are what makes the forum an interesting place to be - it would be an awful pity to inhibit that spontaneity and off the cuff-ness.

Arn

Veteran Member
Sometimes a Forum member will strike a very personal chord with another member. They may be from the same country, state or "mindset". On other occasions, we may read a particular thread that borders on highly emotional issues that can become rather uncomfortable or "invasive" to the general Forum at large.

Here is where I believe the PM comes into play. It's the offer of particularly private or "exploratory" input that allows one Forum member to reach out and the PM functions at its most effective.

Arn

D

Deleted member 3000

If I use PM, how will I show how clever I am? Will I have to go to Facebook??

A

Anonymous

hhmmm, yes .... and ... errmmm .. if I send the same pm to a lot of people would it have been better to make it a Forum post? ...hmmm ....

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
I think this PM should have been posted on the Forum rather. Charlotte, hope you don't mind?

Question re: Bus availability from Lourdes in France to Gabas in France where Allan, husband and I, Charlotte plan to begin Camino this May 2009. We plan to fly from USA to Lourdes and then go by bus to Gabas. Also if anyone knows about accomodation in that area ie: Col des Moines. We have the British Confraternity guide from there on. Appreciate any help. cyates
45charann@sbcglobal.net

A

Anonymous

Oh I defintely agree with that sil

oppsss :oops: should this have been a pm?

wouldn't be funny then though ... :wink:

Emmetropia

Is a Private Message used to convey personal congratulations to an individual, or is it the custom to publicly post the congratulatory comment so that everyone knows we are sympathetic and caring? Do old members publicly welcome new members, and does that result in thousands of postings?

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Emmetropia said:
Is a Private Message used to convey personal congratulations to an individual, or is it the custom to publicly post the congratulatory comment so that everyone knows we are sympathetic and caring? Do old members publicly welcome new members, and does that result in thousands of postings?
Hi there,

..and welcome to the forum! :)

Private messages are used if you would like to say something to a forum user that is for that user only, and not everyone.

I think welcoming new users is a good thing, of course if you see that 5 other members have already welcomed a new user, you may not need to. You can of course do so in a PM if this is a person that you would like to get in touch with (from your area maybe?).

Greetings from Santiago,
Ivar

Advertisement

Booking.com