• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pokemon stops on the Camino?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I bet there are. I expect Santiago Cathedral has got one.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Of course there are. All those cities and villages you walk though are not sacred places that exist for you only.
Spain is just a regular European country, people live in all these places and many of them play pokemon, search for geocaches or whatever you find unfitting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well one positive thing about this Pokemon madness ( my personal humble opinion ) is that the young ones , say 14 or 15 years old are finally moving again...and walking the streets in search of that yellow virtual creature.
I think my young neighbour walked for the first time in his life in order to " brood a Pokemon egg " .So yes the game has the advantage to get a couch ridden adolescent active....:D
And maybe these walks will inspire one or two of them to keep walking and maybe walk a Camino.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
All those cities and villages you walk though are not sacred places that exist for you only.
Of course they're not. And at the same time the Camino is a sacred path for many of us--one that's open to everyone, even those searching for geocahes. Especially the 'geocache' called 'un-augmented' reality.:D
And kindly but in all honesty, this may not be the best place to ask that question, @SooYunKim.
I can see how you might have misunderstood my comment--apologies if I caused offense--I meant (and no doubt I'll be corrected if I'm wrong) that most folks here have probably never played Pokemon. How would we know?
So play to your heart's content, but don't bother asking apples about oranges.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
But @Robo, don't you know? Pokemon is a life. It's called "Augmented Reality." o_O:D
(Really--look it up. Anyway I'm no fun so don't ask archaic me; Real Reality is enough of a joy and challenge--one that doesn't benefit from faux augmentation.)

@notion900
Eeeeee...the real ones are bad enough, but 1.4kg?!?
(Runs and hides--pass on this kind of augmentation............)

Pokemon on the Camino? Gosh, I hope NOT! I saw a guy playing Pokemon go walk into a lamp post here in NYC the other day. I wanna walk the Camino to get away from that sort of thing. Lol.

Wow... this is going to take the 'Mindfullness on the Camino' conversation we had some time ago to a WHOLE new level... Well, I've always said each to their own so guess I need to apply that here too. Pokemon away if it makes your Camino better.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi @SooYunKim, most of us here won't know the answer to your question as we're of a different generation. You may also find a little impatience in our answers, probably because of concerns that Pokemon activities may not be appropriate on a pilgrimage route.

Personally, I would find gaming (I don't know if that's the right terminology!) somewhat offensive on quiet trails or at 'special' places. It wouldn't annoy me in a larger town or city - especially if locals were also doing it. I would probably find it quite entertaining.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
By all means, do your camino our way. ;);)
Touché. Perhaps I was being dogmatic. It would be a sad day if there were rules and standards for the Camino.

This forum is about information, advice and opinions. I wonder if there are human behaviours that could test the tradition of no rules?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
From limited experience with our grand-daughters:-
They seem to be in more populated places, not on Dartmoor for example but many at Killerton House.
They run your phone battery down double fast :( especially I think where there is no 4G network.
They certainly encourage walking :) but they could also pick them up in the car although I don't know if they actually caught one that way.
As others have said maybe this isn't the place to get a good answer as we are not, generally speaking, players ourselves.

For those who think that hugging a golden statue is a bit too much, there should be a nice, soft, fluffy, human-size pokemon nearby. I would give him a hug :)

32719624cd4839473c8437167fb2b307.jpg

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Real Reality is enough of a joy and challenge--one that doesn't benefit from faux augmentation.

You know me! I cannot resist arguing with your truism!;)

I have virtually (pun intended) never played a computer game (well, maybe 2 hours of my life have been spent on computer solitaire or tetris) and I don't expect to take up Pokeman unless as an act of elder rebellion!:rolleyes::p (Hmmm! There's an idea.)

From the wikipedia entry on Augmented Reality: the technology functions by enhancing one’s current perception of reality.

Well, I try to enhance my reality every day, through both technology and intellectual effort - by what I eat, drink, read, do, think, etc. Sometimes I escape into fiction or gaze at works of art, sometimes I use music to change my mood. I also find that long walks enhance my perceptions. And I get great joy from communicating with real people who are far away, for example here on the forum. Those are all augmentations to my reality, but I'm not sure if they are faux or not. I'm not sure I care.

I too have occasional discomfort about new-fangled trends and computer games, but I try to control my knee-jerk reaction to them. My first reaction to Pokeman Go was "No! Never! Keep it away from me." Then I read an interesting article by an autistic woman who pointed out what a helpful tool it was to help her interact more in the community. I realized that my prejudice needed to be examined.

I realize this thread could be problematic, and will cease and desist if necessary!:cool:

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

I have virtually (pun intended) never played a computer game (well, maybe 2 hours of my life have been spent on computer solitaire or tetris) and I don't expect to take up Pokeman unless as an act of elder rebellion!:rolleyes::p (Hmmm! There's an idea.)

From the wikipedia entry on Augmented Reality: the technology functions by enhancing one’s current perception of reality.

Well, I try to enhance my reality every day, through both technology and intellectual effort - by what I eat, drink, read, do, think, etc. Sometimes I escape into fiction or gaze at works of art, sometimes I use music to change my mood. I also find that long walks enhance my perceptions. And I get great joy from communicating with real people who are far away, for example here on the forum. Those are all augmentations to my reality, but I'm not sure if they are faux or not. I'm not sure I care.

I too have occasional discomfort about new-fangled trends and computer games, but I try to control my knee-jerk reaction to them. My first reaction to Pokeman Go was "No! Never! Keep it away from me." Then I read an interesting article by an autistic woman who pointed out what a helpful tool it was to help her interact more in the community. I realized that my prejudice needed to be examined.

I realize this thread could be problematic, and will cease and desist if necessary!:cool:
I've always considered you to be a clear thinking and well spoken individual, but you are outdoing even yourself today. You're on a roll; Stay the course!!

Just wait for the increase in rescues now that people will miss arrows more then ever as they walk the Camino staring at their phones rather than looking for arrows ;0).
Maybe someone could develop a camino app that works the same as Pokeman but puts yellow arrows on your screen instead of a Dewgong. Oh wait - that's a GPS...

I appreciate your contrarian mind, C...it stops and makes me think, and to clarify.
And as you well know I'm not a luddite. I use lots of technology and value it. And I think technology that encourages imagination isn't all bad. But Pokemon's augmentation fosters behavior that can be dysfunctional--causing otherwise intelligent people to lose their connection with their bodies and physical reality.They walk off cliffs, drive into other cars, get stuck in mines, and otherwise lose situational reality to the extent that they injure themselves or others.
Of course most people don't go that far, but at the very least Pokemon doesn't foster the kind of presence and embodiment and deeper exploration that walking the Camino is about--but rather a restless seeking.

Well, whatever. It's happening. If it gets people out to actually be on the Camino they may see that simple presence is much more satisfying.

I laughed out loud (literally, not just in the lol sense) at @jozero's post, and agree with both parts of it:
Wow... this is going to take the 'Mindfullness on the Camino' conversation we had some time ago to a WHOLE new level... Well, I've always said each to their own so guess I need to apply that here too. Pokemon away if it makes your Camino better.

And as @falcon269 says:
Good question.
Now, just shoot me...

I'm really enjoying this discussion...but today I have to keep it short, because I have a life and it can suffer because of being here too long if I'm not careful.
(In case we think an addiction to the Forum is for some reason better than an addiction to Pokemon..............uhhhh...I have news for us....o_O;))

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
There are Pokestops and even Pokemon Gyms on the larger cities.

If some of us use the camino for tourism, some use it to experiment wines, some do it for whatever reason, I see no problem in someone doing it to hunt Pokemons.

So many of us use the mobile for GPS, messages, internet, things that never existed a few years ago. Using it for one more thing is really a problem?

Also, so many of us decided to go on the camino because of a Holywood movie, and found out there's much more to it. What's the difference in starting the trail thinking about catching Pokemons and maybe also finding there is MUCH more to catch on the way? :)

As long as people and places are respected, each one can walk their camino as they believe is best.

What's the difference in starting the trail thinking about catching Pokemons and maybe also finding there is MUCH more to catch on the way? :)
As long as people and places are respected, each one can walk their camino as they believe is best.
No difference, really. So long as there is openness , respect, and sensitivity--of course.

At the same time I agree with @peregrina2000 when she says (in another thread going right now):
The Camino is also a long distance path on public property or on public rights of way that ends in Santiago. ... That doesn't, IMO, mean that the standard-free "it's your Camino" mantra is there for us all to hide beneath to justify whatever behavior best suits our self-indulgent pampering. I know this is dangerous territory -- last time I tried to explain what I meant by that -- (https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/its-not-really-your-camino.39577/),
we decided to close the thread because of its downward trajectory, so I hope that won't happen again here.
We all have to walk our own unique camino--there's no other way to do it. But, yes: it's vital that we try to maintain mutual respect and sensitivity that takes into account the impact out actions have on others.

I think 2 things are causing the snarky comments here (for which I for one apologize, having been guilty of posting a couple):
  1. A simple generation gap. Lots of us grew up BC and have a different value system about the usefulness and potential dangers of IT--and particularly about social platforms and gaming. And of course everyone thinks they're right.;)
  2. For a very long time walking the Camino was mostly a contemplative journey--and for many of us (Catholic or not) it still is. And for some of us the Camino is sacred space. So for many, the influx in the last years of large numbers of other walkers who do not share those values has been jarring, to say the least. Whether it's people doing a wine/touristic walk or playing Pokemon--when done without sensitivity, both seem equally antithetical to the kind of quiet contemplative experince many seek. So there may be a knee-jerk "Not on MY Camino, you don't!" imagining the kind of idiocy that we read about in the media (Search 'dangers of Pokemon,' for example).
All that said, it's the mutual understanding and discussion that are important here, and one of the gifts of both the Camino and the Forum--this is not the usual combative internet forum space, it's more of a virtual albergue. So hopefully we can continue to stay open, learning from each other rather than retreating to defensive positions.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
wow... some firery conversations. :eek: *intimidated*
I expected to see a couple of threads with short answer either yes or no
since I thought not many pilgrims are into Pokemon Go game.

Of course there should be Pokemons and Pokemon stops in Spain.
They probaby are everywhere in big cities like Leon or Santiago.
What I was wondering was if anyone ever seen Pokemons/stops in the middle of the Camino like Meseta.
But no pilgrim would focus on their phone trying to catch Pokemon instead of the arrows,
so the answer would be No, I guess.
Still the image of huge Pokemon hovering over pilgrims on Meseta is funny.
Well, there goes my imagination running wild. ;)
Also I think it would be so funny if the Cathedral in SdC has its very own Pokemon.
I mean, Santiago de Compostela Cathedral in So.Cal has one stop and a gym! LOL

Those two Pokemons Notion900 posted are probably the ones that can be found only in Europe.
I've never seen them. Cool. :cool:

Thank you for all the great conversations.

Buen Camino. ;)

I think the game does let you talk to other people. Last week I sat on the steps of a campground store and talked about the game to about 10 people who were playing, between the ages of 11 and 70. When I leveled up to 5, they all cheered me on and urged me to join their team.

I will admit, I'm not sure how it would work on Camino. There are too many other beautiful things to see and things to talk about. But maybe, for a few minutes, it might be a good start to interesting conversations.

Just because it's a virtual, electronic game, doesn't make it all bad.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Actually @Annie Little There are reports that state quite the opposite, see for example http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rahis-saifi/pokemon-gos-mental-health_b_11204184.html

BTW, I am not a Pokemon fan/player and I also think that like everything else it should be approached with a huge dose of common sense and moderation, but if it helps to get depressed people out and interacting with others, I think it is a good thing.
Seeing Pokemon players among pilgrims, sigh, not so sure about that one, but then over the last ~1000 years the Camino has survived a lot, I am sure it will survive Pokemons also ;-)

Buen Camino, SY

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
@peregrina2000
I find myself wanting to avoid Santiago, and especially the locations of pokemon gyms etc. where these creatures and those who pursue them are dense. Yesterday, I bicyled downtown and had considerable difficulty getting home because a park where walkers and cyclists share the paths was thick with pokemon players ignoring the traffic and in an absolute daze as to their physical environment. I shall try to schedule a much briefer time in Santiago this year.

While camping on the Oregon Coast a few weeks ago with my family, my adult daughter and my grandkids helped me get started playing Pokemon and it is a hoot!! That being said, for me personally there is a time and place for everything. I'll be walking across Scotland in 2 weeks and I will leave my Pokemon hunting at home, with my grandkids. I don't want to get lost in Glasgow or Edinburgh looking for Pokespots! It definitely gets people of all ages out walking and that is a good thing. It really is a hoot!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
WOW @SooYunKim you really started a thread !!!! ...it has been very interesting for me to read all these posts. My oppinion is that even if there are pokemons in the Camino, and anyone starts walking with the intention of finding pokemons, don't think it will last very long, the magic and the vibes of the Camino will involve him or her.
This has been one great "thread" !!!!
PS. @Tincatinker loved your reply :)!!!!
Buen Camino to you all !!!!!!

Just out of curiousity,
Are there Pokemons or Pokemon stops on the Camino?
I asked this somewhat "tongue in cheek" of a recent pilgrim who had just discovered the fun of "trivia" in his post Camino depression. The issue is maintaining sufficient battery charge as you will know how quickly this is used playing Pokemon Go.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The Churches (and the churches) seem to be in two minds about this: while the famous Cathedral in Cologne in Germany is reported to have requested the owners of the Pokemon Go game to make the Cathedral a Pokémon free space and they complied, the BBC reports that churches are encouraged to welcome gamers because it gives them "a great opportunity to meet people from their area who might not normally come to church". That's a bit like the hope or belief that the revival of the pilgrimage to St James will bring back the lost sheep or entice new sheep to join the flock.

I'm trying to understand how Pokémons appear and people gather in the first place. It seems to have something to do with the underlying map used by the game makers where landmarks like churches or pieces of public art etc seem to play a prominent role due to the maps used, and these are based on data collected from players of a previous game called Ingress.

I find it weird, btw, to talk of enhanced reality. Just a PR thing, of course. It's more enhanced virtuality than the other way round.

I read that some one put one at Arlington Cemetery (and its removal had been requested). I don't mind people playing the game on the Camino, but I think places of worship or places that honor the fallen (e.g. cemeteries, monuments to fallen soldiers/leaders) should be off-limits because those are not places for playing games (for example, signs at Arlington remind you this is not a place for running, horseplay, etc)--out of respect.

and I suppose this goes for any unthinking behavior, even when not related to Pokemon...I remember being in the Crypt beneath Santa Maria la Real de la Almudena, and seeing a distraught young man trying to stop tourists from walking all over the tomb at which he was praying. Sometimes we forget the human emotions tied to the places we visit.

Last edited:
I'm afraid, but: Did the Pokémon snore during the night?
Never heard of Ronflex, have you? ;)
latest

Lots of Pokemon snoring on the Way!
*Picture that when you dorm neighbor makes the albergue shake at night!*
:D

full

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back