• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Polar Steps vs Find Penguins?

jenner

Time of past OR future Camino
first camino, possibly 2022
Hello, I'm new here and planning a Camino Frances in 2020. I'm curious as to what the differences are between Polar Steps and Find Penguins apps? Does anyone know? Has anyone used both? thanks!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I dont know the difference because I never used Polar Steps but I have been playing with FindPenguins for couple of years and needless to say The Camino was absolutely a part of it (and like @trecile said - I plugged it into the Forum proper so other folks can follow the journey)
Here is what I like in a nutshell
It does not cost you (or anyone else) anything to join.
You set up a 'new trip' at any given time you wish and all you have to do is simply 'activate' it on the start day and the app will start the tracking (if you know the end day and plug it in - then it will stop at the end of that day as well)
You are allowed UNLIMITED footprints (and heck you can create a new footprint exactly at the same spot than the previous one - works like a charmer if you have lots of pictures you took - something like Burgos Cathedral comes to mind.... I think I came out with 3 footprints).
You are allowed 10 photos and 1 video per footprint (but then see above so...)
the Upgraded account allows you to do 20 photos and 2 videos per footprint.
If you anticipate lots of traveling and see a merit in it - you can grab the annual upgraded membership for a nominal discount, else you can pay on a monthly basis pay-as-you-go starting from the day you upgraded (thats what I did - kept it for 2 months while on Camino)
you can immediately take a photo on a footprint or you can take them with phone camera and then attach later on to a given footprint (just keep track of what you are doing it can get a bit "much")
I would take a combo if immediate footprint photos and photos to attach later on (still need to at least create a footprint for that spot) and then work though all the 'editing', putting my comments and stuff in the evening in the albergue with a good WiFi available and upload (if you read the site on how to use it - you'll see what I am talking about)
The great thing is that the app continues to track you even in Airplane mode so you are not running battery down. (I would also caution that if begins to track you and stops from the place you activated or terminated - so... i usually do NOT activate until i am in the airport... else it will nicely pint to your front door and i am sure you dont want the whole world to know that nobodys home when you are travelling)
Take it out for a trial run - just pick some random 'trip' could be one of your training walks and play to get an idea of how it works.
I totally love it and it was an awesome way to keep family and friends in the loop and I enjoyed the interactions (folks can leave a comment on footprints - again dont even have to be members)
BTW - if they do sign up themselves then they can request from you a permission to follow you. if they do - they will get a notification any time you upload\post something new.
Good luck and Buen Camino!

P.S. Arent you a little late planning a Camino 2020? ;) 😂

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I dont know the difference because I never used Polar Steps but I have been playing with FindPenguins for couple of years and needless to say The Camino was absolutely a part of it (and like @trecile said - I plugged it into the Forum proper so other folks can follow the journey)
You set up a 'new trip' at any given time you wish and all you have to do is simply 'activate' it on the start day and the app will start the tracking (if you know the end day and plug it in - then it will stop at the end of that day as well)
You are allowed UNLIMITED footprints (and heck you can create a new footprint exactly at the same spot than the previous one - works like a charmer if you have lots of pictures you took - something like Burgos Cathedral comes to mind.... I think I came out with 3 footprints).
If you anticipate lots of traveling and see a merit in it - you can grab the annual upgraded membership for a nominal discount, else you can pay on a monthly basis pay-as-you-go starting from the day you upgraded (thats what I did - kept it for 2 months while on Camino)
you can immediately take a photo on a footprint or you can take them with phone camera and then attach later on to a given footprint (just keep track of what you are doing it can get a bit "much")
I would take a combo if immediate footprint photos and photos to attach later on (still need to at least create a footprint for that spot) and then work though all the 'editing', putting my comments and stuff in the evening in the albergue with a good WiFi available and upload (if you read the site on how to use it - you'll see what I am talking about)
The great thing is that the app continues to track you even in Airplane mode so you are not running battery down. (I would also caution that if begins to track you and stops from the place you activated or terminated - so... i usually do NOT activate until i am in the airport... else it will nicely pint to your front door and i am sure you dont want the whole world to know that nobodys home when you are travelling)
Take it out for a trial run - just pick some random 'trip' could be one of your training walks and play to get an idea of how it works.
I totally love it and it was an awesome way to keep family and friends in the loop and I enjoyed the interactions (folks can leave a comment on footprints - again dont even have to be members)
BTW - if they do sign up themselves then they can request from you a permission to follow you. if they do - they will get a notification any time you upload\post something new.

Thanks for the info! Yes, I am a little late but some time opened up in October. Flight prices are lower than I expected so I'm planning the trip I had to cancel in March 2020.

There have been some recent discussions on this topic. See this thread for some good info. I use FindPenguins and have never had a problem with it. It is intuitive and pretty straightforward. I was just starting a camino about 6 years ago when I realized that the old Blogspot program I had used for years wasn’t working anymore. A fellow forum member told me to try FindPenguins and it worked like a charm. I’ve never used PolarSteps, so I can’t compare, but I think the thing to do is to assume both are good and just pick one and learn how to use it before you leave.

Hello, I'm new here and planning a Camino Frances in 2020. I'm curious as to what the differences are between Polar Steps and Find Penguins apps? Does anyone know? Has anyone used both? thanks!
I can tell you Findpenguins make an excellent book of your blog with comments if you wish. The best souvenir from my Camino del Norte!!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There have been some recent discussions on this topic. See this thread for some good info. I use FindPenguins and have never had a problem with it. It is intuitive and pretty straightforward. I was just starting a camino about 6 years ago when I realized that the old Blogspot program I had used for years wasn’t working anymore. A fellow forum member told me to try FindPenguins and it worked like a charm. I’ve never used PolarSteps, so I can’t compare, but I think the thing to do is to assume both are good and just pick one and learn how to use it before you leave.
Oops, I actually meant the Relive app, not Polarsteps. Got mixed up after looking at so many apps. If I'm doing it correctly, I posted a link to a short video on Relive, if anyone has a chance to watch it, does FindPenguins do something similar to this?

Oops, I actually meant the Relive app, not Polarsteps. Got mixed up after looking at so many apps. If I'm doing it correctly, I posted a link to a short video on Relive, if anyone has a chance to watch it, does FindPenguins do something similar to this?

No, Find Penguins does not work the same way as Relive, and vice versa. They are two different kinds of apps.
I used both on one of my Caminos, and was able to add the Relive video to the Find Penguins blog - I had the Premium (paid) version so that I could attach longer videos. With the free version you can attach videos up to 60 seconds, and with the paid they can be up to 120 seconds. I cancel the premium membership when I'm done with my Camino, but it doesn't effect the posts that I've already created.

I would suggest that you look at some of the Find Penguins blogs of members who are sharing them, and see if that´s the format that you are looking for.

Last edited:
I have not used Polar Steps or Relive, so I cannot compare. However, I did use Find Penguins on my Camino earlier this year, and it worked beautifully. I paid for the upgrade to premium membership, so I was able to post up to 20 photos a day, plus all the text I wanted. My followers back home were very happy with the app and really looked forward to reading my daily posts. And, as WayWalker did, once I got home I asked Find Penguins to create a book of my journey. It came out beautifully, and I have relived my journey countless times through that book. It was worth every penny and I highly recommend it.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

How did you plug into the forum? Sorry for my stupid question, but I can’t figure it out 😥

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.