• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Polarsteps questions

AnneMarie1

Time of past OR future Camino
2001, 2023 (Somport to SdeC via Invierno)
I am probably going to use Polarsteps as an easy way to keep a photo journal and keep friends and family posted on my whereabouts without getting onto social media every day. That way I can do a semi-digital detox and also spend less time organizing and printing photos later, too. I have two questions:

1) I think it's possible I will want two books printed at the end -- one kind of basic photo album that can be "in public" (in my living room) as a coffee table book, and one that's much more about my interior experience, basically my journal but enhanced by photos. That one will just be for me. There might be overlap between the photos I select for the two books at the end, but I would think there'd also be some differences. From what I'm reading, this could be accomplished using the Polarsteps app if I just go into my trip and create a book and order it, and then go back in and create another book using the stuff from the same trip. Is that right?

2) According to the info on the Polarsteps website, it tracks where you are without the use of internet, but it says, "Just don't put your phone in airplane mode." But I thought airplane mode was recommended as the best way to not be using data the whole day. (I'm not the most tech/smart phone savvy person, so that might not be correct.) I was planning to get a Spanish esim and bring my regular phone, which will (I think) be able to receive bank texts, etc. sent to my regular number, and I can use the Spanish esim to avoid roaming, etc. What do I need to know about the esim and the data needs of using Polarsteps? Am I right in thinking the app would rely on data all day, and if so, how much data does it use? And is there any need for an esim that would give me a Spanish phone number? There is something about all this on their website, where they tell you to set your phone not to be using roaming. But if I am using an esim from Spain, wouldn't that be roaming? Does that mean Polarsteps would eat data?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I just completed my photo journal of the Le Puy camino, hard cover, 50 pages two-sided, with text. I just used pics from my iPhone and did it as a word document which I then converted to PDF for ease of printing.
For me, it's as good as any journal you'd get using other software. My fellow pilgrims who now have a copy agree with me.

Honestly, it avoids all that mucking around with data and wifi and so forth.

Hopefully this is helpful:

1. All the radio functions (except Bluetooth) of your phone are turned off in Airplane Mode. Polarsteps canā€™t triangulate your position without a signal of some sort, and Bluetooth doesn't have the range to do so. On their website they say, ā€œWe track your route using techniques that are free of charge (GPS, cellular signal, WiFi, etc)ā€ This is why the phone canā€™t be in Airplane mode, they need to ā€˜pingā€™ a signal that can give them a location.

2. An Spanish SIM/eSIM wonā€™t be in roaming mode because youā€™re in Spain. Roaming is when you use your home mobile plan outside of the home country. So if you're keeping your home number/SIM active it will have to be in Roaming mode.

3. If you donā€™t want to use your Home or Spanish mobile data then you should be able to turn mobile data off for each SIM individually. At least you can on an iPhone. This would still allow you to receive calls and SMS texts. But no apps that use mobile data or WiFi to access the internet will work until you connect to either one of those services.

4. Polarsteps looks interesting. Thanks for bringing it to my attention

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

ā‚¬46,-
I am probably going to use Polarsteps as an easy way to keep a photo journal and keep friends and family posted on my whereabouts without getting onto social media every day. That way I can do a semi-digital detox and also spend less time organizing and printing photos later, too. I have two questions:

1) I think it's possible I will want two books printed at the end -- one kind of basic photo album that can be "in public" (in my living room) as a coffee table book, and one that's much more about my interior experience, basically my journal but enhanced by photos. That one will just be for me. There might be overlap between the photos I select for the two books at the end, but I would think there'd also be some differences. From what I'm reading, this could be accomplished using the Polarsteps app if I just go into my trip and create a book and order it, and then go back in and create another book using the stuff from the same trip. Is that right?

2) According to the info on the Polarsteps website, it tracks where you are without the use of internet, but it says, "Just don't put your phone in airplane mode." But I thought airplane mode was recommended as the best way to not be using data the whole day. (I'm not the most tech/smart phone savvy person, so that might not be correct.) I was planning to get a Spanish esim and bring my regular phone, which will (I think) be able to receive bank texts, etc. sent to my regular number, and I can use the Spanish esim to avoid roaming, etc. What do I need to know about the esim and the data needs of using Polarsteps? Am I right in thinking the app would rely on data all day, and if so, how much data does it use? And is there any need for an esim that would give me a Spanish phone number? There is something about all this on their website, where they tell you to set your phone not to be using roaming. But if I am using an esim from Spain, wouldn't that be roaming? Does that mean Polarsteps would eat data?
Once youā€™ve installed the esim you should be able to designate that as your primary carrier, so your data can be non-roaming in Spain. Youā€™d turn off the data roaming on your now-secondary home sim/esim

When I walked the CF last year, I bought a Spanish eSIM card for ā‚¬20 in the ā€œOrangeā€ network. i replaced my Verizon SIM card with the Orange SIM card so essentialy my phone was now an Orange network connected device. The card was pre-loaded with phone /data minutes (the # of minutes was never clear to me), but more importantly, it provided a local Spanish phone # with which I could call to make room reservations. I also could also use that # to connect locally w/ WhatsApp.

Note: Not all Apple phones have the physical capability of accepting multiple SIM cardsā€¦mine is an iPhone 12 and it does not which is why I had to swap the SIM cards.

If you replace your American SIM card with a Spanish SIM, you do not need to turn off Data Roaming. HOWEVER: Any apps running while you are walking (like GRONZE, Camino Ninja) will consume data AND battery power if you are not connected to a wi-fi network (like when you are in a bar, albergue, etc.), so consider turning those apps off while youā€™re walking, OR be prepared with a phone power backup and ready to ā€œtop offā€ (ā‚¬) your data plan minutes more frequently.

P.S. PolarSteps is a great way to keep fam/friends updated w/ photos & your ramblings. It also gives you the book option at the end. I used it and was very pleased. The only drawback is that the app can be a little glitchy, so bring an extra dose of patience.

I used my iPhone to take pics this fall on the Portuguese Central and then used Popsa app to create a tabletop book of my journey. Super easy to use, and you can have text as well as pics with or without captions. Highly customizable or the app will do it all for you once you pick the pics. Best of all, it gives you a gorgeous product. Turned out so well, I did two others of other trips. They have printing offices in the UK, USA and Canadaā€¦ maybe others too. Quick shipping to your home. Sorry if this reads like a sales pitch but Iā€™ve tried other services and this was the easiest to use by far. Another plus was it let me avoid using any data on the phone (but with location services on, I still knew where each pic was taken).

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
When I walked the CF last year, I bought a Spanish eSIM card for ā‚¬20 in the ā€œOrangeā€ network. i replaced my Verizon SIM card with the Orange SIM card so essentialy my phone was now an Orange network connected device. The card was pre-loaded with phone /data minutes (the # of minutes was never clear to me), but more importantly, it provided a local Spanish phone # with which I could call to make room reservations. I also could also use that # to connect locally w/ WhatsApp.

Note: Not all Apple phones have the physical capability of accepting multiple SIM cardsā€¦mine is an iPhone 12 and it does not which is why I had to swap the SIM cards.

If you replace your American SIM card with a Spanish SIM, you do not need to turn off Data Roaming. HOWEVER: Any apps running while you are walking (like GRONZE, Camino Ninja) will consume data AND battery power if you are not connected to a wi-fi network (like when you are in a bar, albergue, etc.), so consider turning those apps off while youā€™re walking, OR be prepared with a phone power backup and ready to ā€œtop offā€ (ā‚¬) your data plan minutes more frequently.

P.S. PolarSteps is a great way to keep fam/friends updated w/ photos & your ramblings. It also gives you the book option at the end. I used it and was very pleased. The only drawback is that the app can be a little glitchy, so bring an extra dose of patience.
You can add an eSIM to iPhone 12 and above. It avoids having to have a second physical SIM port or swapping out SIM cards. Because an eSIM is ā€˜virtualā€™ you also don't need to visit a store or have the SIM card mailed to you, everything can be done online and even prior to leaving the US or your home country. However, having one SIM can be easier to manage as your Phone only has that one identity.

I just completed my photo journal of the Le Puy camino, hard cover, 50 pages two-sided, with text. I just used pics from my iPhone and did it as a word document which I then converted to PDF for ease of printing.
For me, it's as good as any journal you'd get using other software. My fellow pilgrims who now have a copy agree with me.

This is an interesting option. It wouldn't be a quick and easy way for people back home to get word of my whereabouts. I'd still have to spend time periodically doing that. But for the purposes of creating photo memories, it seems like a workable solution. Did you just take a file to print to a copy shop or something? Is it bound?

Hopefully this is helpful:

1. All the radio functions (except Bluetooth) of your phone are turned off in Airplane Mode. Polarsteps canā€™t triangulate your position without a signal of some sort, and Bluetooth doesn't have the range to do so. On their website they say, ā€œWe track your route using techniques that are free of charge (GPS, cellular signal, WiFi, etc)ā€ This is why the phone canā€™t be in Airplane mode, they need to ā€˜pingā€™ a signal that can give them a location.

2. An Spanish SIM/eSIM wonā€™t be in roaming mode because youā€™re in Spain. Roaming is when you use your home mobile plan outside of the home country. So if you're keeping your home number/SIM active it will have to be in Roaming mode.

3. If you donā€™t want to use your Home or Spanish mobile data then you should be able to turn mobile data off for each SIM individually. At least you can on an iPhone. This would still allow you to receive calls and SMS texts. But no apps that use mobile data or WiFi to access the internet will work until you connect to either one of those services.

4. Polarsteps looks interesting. Thanks for bringing it to my attention
Yes, this is helpful -- thank you! I do have an iphone, an SE model from a couple years ago. It has a thing you can click on to "add esim," so I think it's one that can have two sims simultaneously. (I will head to the Apple store soon to find out for sure.) I do want to still be able to receive calls and texts, partly for any kind of fraud alerts or other messages from my bank and partly just for any potential family emergencies, etc., but if I have a Spanish sim, I don't anticipate using that much. The actual APP for my bank (for purposes of checking balance or transferring money) would work via data or wifi, right? Or would it need me to be on my regular number via roaming?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Thanks -- for the tech info and for your feedback on PolarSteps. I wish it had a way to add captions to photos, but I like the ability to keep everyone posted without me spending a lot of time online, and I like the maps and other data it produces. I might try it and also take a look at Popsa, which Dave J mentions and liked. (I hadn't heard of that before. That allows you to easily create a book, and you can put both text on a page and photo captions, but it doesn't keep other people updated or produce those cool maps that Polarsteps does. I'm thinking of trying Polarsteps as I walk, and if it's glitchy or I don't like the book page layout options, just forget about it and opt for Popsa instead. It might be possible to download the Polarsteps files and use those maps they produce in a Popsa book somehow, but that might be beyond my tech skill and patience, too!

You can add an eSIM to iPhone 12 and above. It avoids having to have a second physical SIM port or swapping out SIM cards. Because an eSIM is ā€˜virtualā€™ you also don't need to visit a store or have the SIM card mailed to you, everything can be done online and even prior to leaving the US or your home country. However, having one SIM can be easier to manage as your Phone only has that one identity.
I'm probably going to do the eSIM thing, since my phone apparently has that ability, although all the eSIMs I've looked at tend to be for 2 weeks or a month or have data limits. What happens when you get to the end of the month or the data ceiling? Are you just stuck with no data, or does something pop up asking if you want to add more? Also, it looks to me (I could be wrong here) that most/all of these don't give you a Spanish number to use. Is that important for things like making reservations, or does everyone just use WhatsApp anyway? (I have WhatsApp on my regular phone number. Would that mean it works only on roaming, or would that pull from data from a Spanish eSIM?)

I used my iPhone to take pics this fall on the Portuguese Central and then used Popsa app to create a tabletop book of my journey. Super easy to use, and you can have text as well as pics with or without captions. Highly customizable or the app will do it all for you once you pick the pics. Best of all, it gives you a gorgeous product. Turned out so well, I did two others of other trips. They have printing offices in the UK, USA and Canadaā€¦ maybe others too. Quick shipping to your home. Sorry if this reads like a sales pitch but Iā€™ve tried other services and this was the easiest to use by far. Another plus was it let me avoid using any data on the phone (but with location services on, I still knew where each pic was taken).
Thanks! I'd never heard of Popsa before your mention of it here! From what I can see, it does look really easy to use. It doesn't have the cool maps like Polarsteps does or update friends and family as you go, so I'd probably have to keep doing that separately, but on the other hand, I like that you can caption photos on Popsa. I might try both and see which one I like best, and maybe use Popsa for the more interior journal.

ā‚¬2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This is an interesting option. It wouldn't be a quick and easy way for people back home to get word of my whereabouts. I'd still have to spend time periodically doing that. But for the purposes of creating photo memories, it seems like a workable solution. Did you just take a file to print to a copy shop or something? Is it bound?
Yes, I did several copies at a print shop Anne, and it is bound in hard cover with the title embossed on the front cover in gold letters.
I didnā€™t fuss too much about updating folks back home. A few pics now and then via WhatsApp was sufficient.
I just enjoyed what I was doing.

I'm probably going to do the eSIM thing, since my phone apparently has that ability, although all the eSIMs I've looked at tend to be for 2 weeks or a month or have data limits. What happens when you get to the end of the month or the data ceiling? Are you just stuck with no data, or does something pop up asking if you want to add more? Also, it looks to me (I could be wrong here) that most/all of these don't give you a Spanish number to use. Is that important for things like making reservations, or does everyone just use WhatsApp anyway? (I have WhatsApp on my regular phone number. Would that mean it works only on roaming, or would that pull from data from a Spanish eSIM?)
If you want a Spanish number (might be useful) then Orange.es seems to be your only choice for an eSIM at ā‚¬25 per month if my Spanish is up to scratch. If youā€™re happy to use WhatsApp for messaging and calls too then you just need a Data eSIM. Which as youā€™ve discovered are widely available.

AĆ­ralo seem to come up a lot in reviews. From what I can tell theyā€™re prepaid plans limited by both date and data limits. I expect you recharge (online) after hitting the limit, whichever happens first. Thatā€™s how most prepaid plans work.

However, before you commit, who is your current plan with? If youā€™re in the US T-Mobile had (when I left in 2018) good roaming addons. Have you looked at what is available just using your existing cell plan and adding on? If you set your phone to no data roaming while youā€™re walking and use WiFi most of the time you could get away with using the roaming add on from your US carrier. Or home country if youā€™re not in the US.

I just did a quick search on the forum using ā€œOrange eSIMā€ and quite a few folk hace experience of using them. It might be worth reading through those threads and contacting the users whoā€™ve already been and done it šŸ˜€

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi,
From what I understand eSIM's are only for data they don't give you a physical phone number that you can use to make a regular phone call in Spain? Please correct me if I am incorrect?

Hi,
From what I understand eSIM's are only for data they don't give you a physical phone number that you can use to make a regular phone call in Spain? Please correct me if I am incorrect?
They come in both flavours. My phone has a physical SIM from -ee- which is my personal plan. And an eSIM from Vodafone which is my work plan. Both have their own phone numbers, call minutes, SMS and data allowances. Itā€™s great for me as I donā€™t have to carry two phones but can have a work mobile number separate from my personal number. I could, if I wanted to, add another eSIM and that could be data only or data, voice and SMS. Eventually we wonā€™t need physical SIMs st all.

Yes, I did several copies at a print shop Anne, and it is bound in hard cover with the title embossed on the front cover in gold letters.
I didnā€™t fuss too much about updating folks back home. A few pics now and then via WhatsApp was sufficient.
I just enjoyed what I was doing.
Hardly anyone at home has WhatsApp, and I KNOW my elderly parents would not be able to manage it. And I'm a scholar with a lot of friends who study medieval Spain (different disciplines). They'll be really interested. But I want to do a digital detox as much as possible and not futz around with tech very much while I'm on the Camino. If PolarSteps makes it fast and easy and allows me to avoid getting on Facebook to do it, that would be a plus in my book. I want to just be present to the experience.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Very interesting! Do you know of any tutorials or websites that would walk me through this process? My iPhone 12 has a physical SIM card, but just the one slot, so using the e method would be much simpler when traveling between the U.S. and Europe. I especially like the idea of doing all of this before departing. When I walked the CF for the first time, I had to wait until I got to LogrƵno before I found a store that could sell me the SIM card.

According to the info on the Polarsteps website, it tracks where you are without the use of internet, but it says, "Just don't put your phone in airplane mode." But I thought airplane mode was recommended as the best way to not be using data the whole day.

All the radio functions (except Bluetooth) of your phone are turned off in Airplane Mode. Polarsteps canā€™t triangulate your position without a signal of some sort, and Bluetooth doesn't have the range to do so. On their website they say, ā€œWe track your route using techniques that are free of charge (GPS, cellular signal, WiFi, etc)ā€ This is why the phone canā€™t be in Airplane mode, they need to ā€˜pingā€™ a signal that can give them a location.

I donā€™t use Polarsteps, but I do use a similar app, FindPenguins. It also has a tracking function and I am able to use it in airplane mode, so no data is needed. Maybe I am missing some big issue here, but I do think that GPS works without data. I have used wikiloc for years and follow tracks on offline maps using no data and in airplane mode.

Those who are more tech savvy may be able to explain better.

I donā€™t use Polarsteps, but I do use a similar app, FindPenguins. It also has a tracking function and I am able to use it in airplane mode, so no data is needed. Maybe I am missing some big issue here, but I do think that GPS works without data. I have used wikiloc for years and follow tracks on offline maps using no data and in airplane mode.

Those who are more tech savvy may be able to explain better.
GPS works without mobile data. And it should work if the phone is in Airplane mode however the iPhone needs to ā€˜seeā€™ 3 out of 24 Global Positioning Satellites to accurately report your position. Where you keep your phone, things that could interfere with the signal, environmental factors, all can affect the reception of the satellite signals. In those cases the phone will use cellphone towers to triangulate your position (even WiFi signals from cafes, houses etc.) It is receiving these signals that is blocked in Airplane mode and yes receiving them does not need mobile data to be enabled.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

ā‚¬46,-
Very interesting! Do you know of any tutorials or websites that would walk me through this process? My iPhone 12 has a physical SIM card, but just the one slot, so using the e method would be much simpler when traveling between the U.S. and Europe. I especially like the idea of doing all of this before departing. When I walked the CF for the first time, I had to wait until I got to LogrƵno before I found a store that could sell me the SIM card.
Apple probably says it best:
This is what it looks like on my iPhone. You can see the two signal bars next to the WiFi icon. Iā€™ve blacked out my numbers in the SIMs section.

As you can see I can add more eSIMs but only two SIMs can be active at the same time. Adding is easy once you have a QR code from the eSIM provider

9A9F51F9-1D57-4A8D-9236-9BB68F4F071A.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes, GPS works without using data, although most phones give a more accurate data location if also connected to a mobile network. Or at least they used to. Maybe now there are more satellites up there they don't need it. I think it is all about triangulation.

I donā€™t use Polarsteps, but I do use a similar app, FindPenguins. It also has a tracking function and I am able to use it in airplane mode, so no data is needed.
Ditto.
I would go into airplane mode the mo.ent I left a given albergue in the morning.
Never had any problems with either FindPenguins or Buen Camino app.
Both worked just fine.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi. I ended up with a Vodafone SIM prior to setting off to walk the Norte. We were told at the time that we needed to be Spanish residents to have a eSIM, and there was no mobile number with an eSIM. My husband ended up tethering his iPad to my phone for data.
I had bought a Samsung Galaxy S22 prior to leaving Australia, with the capability of using a physical SIM and and eSIM. We wanted to retain my physical SIM for 2-step-verification from the bank back in Australia, and use the eSIM in Spain. As I said, it did not work out that way. Aside from that, I would not go with Vodafone again. I have used Vodafone on two Caminos, and also in Australia. This time, the Vodafone sales assistant in San Sebastian sold us 2 months of calls and data, but we only had coverage for 1 month, then it cut out. We ended up having to buy another package - with a different mobile number - to see us through to the end of our walk.
For what it's worth, we used FindPenguin and did trial walks with it prior to leaving for Spain. We had issues with linking friends up back in Australia to follow our journey, and it was difficult trying to contact the product developer in Germany via the software. I found the program not to be intuitive at all when requesting help or resolving the linking issues. On our next Camino I am going to give Polarsteps a go, as I have read it's a lot more intuitive and with fewer hassles.

For what it's worth, we used FindPenguin and did trial walks with it prior to leaving for Spain. We had issues with linking friends up back in Australia to follow our journey, and it was difficult trying to contact the product developer in Germany via the software. I found the program not to be intuitive at all when requesting help or resolving the linking issues. On our next Camino I am going to give Polarsteps a go, as I have read it's a lot more intuitive and with fewer hassles.
I'm surprised - for family and friends all you need to do is give them the url with your own FindPenguins address. No hassles at all if you make it public. You can change the initial url that is easier to remember (I changed mine to my real name - so https://findpenguins.com/myname). And no need for anyone to download the app or "sign in". If you want to keep it private, then only those who are given permission to "follow" you can, and it is a bit more tricky. If you would like any help, send me a PM.

Did you use tables to insert photos or just a photo? I have been trying to use Word to record my Camino but it seems it is easier to add a double row single column table with photo above and text below, but requires sizing and centering etc. there must be an easier way.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm surprised - for family and friends all you need to do is give them the url with your own FindPenguins address. No hassles at all if you make it public. You can change the initial url that is easier to remember (I changed mine to my real name - so https://findpenguins.com/myname). And no need for anyone to download the app or "sign in". If you want to keep it private, then only those who are given permission to "follow" you can, and it is a bit more tricky. If you would like any help, send me a PM.
I think the url must have been the issue. Not understanding how to use that address? I tried everything. My sister tried signing in etc.. I gave up in the end but kept using the app and in the end created a book for my own memories and have enjoyed that end of it. Thanks for the offer to help very kind of you. My Camino is over but I keep on using the forum for info for the next one. I am planning the Portuguese next from Lisbon to Santiago in 2025 or sooner?

Did you use tables to insert photos or just a photo? I have been trying to use Word to record my Camino but it seems it is easier to add a double row single column table with photo above and text below, but requires sizing and centering etc. there must be an easier way.
No, just paste and then type text under the photo. Itā€™s very easy, very simple Jamie. Email me and Iā€™ll explain if you struggle.

Hi. I ended up with a Vodafone SIM prior to setting off to walk the Norte. We were told at the time that we needed to be Spanish residents to have a eSIM, and there was no mobile number with an eSIM. My husband ended up tethering his iPad to my phone for data.
I had bought a Samsung Galaxy S22 prior to leaving Australia, with the capability of using a physical SIM and and eSIM. We wanted to retain my physical SIM for 2-step-verification from the bank back in Australia, and use the eSIM in Spain. As I said, it did not work out that way. Aside from that, I would not go with Vodafone again. I have used Vodafone on two Caminos, and also in Australia. This time, the Vodafone sales assistant in San Sebastian sold us 2 months of calls and data, but we only had coverage for 1 month, then it cut out. We ended up having to buy another package - with a different mobile number - to see us through to the end of our walk.
Thanks. This is helpful! I know for sure you do not have to be a Spanish resident for an esim, since Airalo (I think that's what it's called) sells them over the web and you can buy them from anywhere. But not all Spanish carriers have them available for people who don't want long-term contracts, so maybe that's what the issue was. That's a good idea to do trial walks with the app first. All of this kind of makes me laugh because I did the Camino in 2001 without even a phone of any kind. There wasn't any of this stuff to consider back then -- it was so simple! But I really can't imagine not being reachable at my normal number for things like bank inquiries (if they're worried about a transaction) or transferring of money (from my end) or bill paying, and I did spend quite a bit of time arranging my photos (on film rolls that I had to get developed after the Camino!) in a physical photo album. If these apps can cut down on that time, produce a better photo journal, AND keep friends and family informed while not requiring ME to spend precious Camino time on social media doing it, it's worth all this research ahead of time, I think.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

ā‚¬83,-
No, just paste and then type text under the photo. Itā€™s very easy, very simple Jamie. Email me and Iā€™ll explain if you struggle.
In Word, you could also insert a text box under the photo, which you could move around and reposition if you move the photo.

Hi,
My impression is that most of them work that way (data, but with no phone number), but as I've been researching them, every once in a while there's one that says it does gave you a phone number. I think only Orange offers that right now, if I remember correctly. One of the things I'm trying to figure out is whether I need a Spanish phone number. If I can call or WhatsApp Spanish friends and hostales, etc. with my American number just fine, why have a Spanish number? On the other hand, I can't see how it would hurt anything, as long as it doesn't cost a lot more to get one.

re: FindPenguins - I understand that folks do experience difficulties but probably like anything else in our life its all trial-n-error. Once figured out how to use it and how to share and for those 'on receiving end' how to view - it is no brainer.
I use FP dilligently on all of my trips. My friends who are my ardent followers get a kick out of 'living vicariously though me\us (incl. DW) and I get a kick of interacting with them (yes they can leave comments of posts and photos)

re:WhatsApp - a HUUUGE majority of Albergues on Camino (at least CF that I am familiar with) as well as a number of luggage transport services uses WhatsApp. I resisted downloading the app on my phone for a good clip of the walk... but finally cave in and trust-you-me the benefits were IMMEDIATE and BIG! And yes you can communicate with all your US friends & relatives who has one (even share photos and videos as well). as for "why then have a Spanish number\SIM etc" - well perhaps you find yourself in need of making a call to a number thats not a WhatsApp? Plus you do get the data. So again weigh pros angainst cons.
Just like other esteemed members here I have T-Mobile so I did not need to change SIM cards or anything.
Anyone I had to contact back home in US had WhatsApp (and I really was discouraging folks from ringing me up "just because") and IIRC I dint make any local calls that costed me extra $$$

Good luck & Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If you want a Spanish number (might be useful) then Orange.es seems to be your only choice for an eSIM at ā‚¬25 per month if my Spanish is up to scratch. If youā€™re happy to use WhatsApp for messaging and calls too then you just need a Data eSIM. Which as youā€™ve discovered are widely available.

AĆ­ralo seem to come up a lot in reviews. From what I can tell theyā€™re prepaid plans limited by both date and data limits. I expect you recharge (online) after hitting the limit, whichever happens first. Thatā€™s how most prepaid plans work.

However, before you commit, who is your current plan with? If youā€™re in the US T-Mobile had (when I left in 2018) good roaming addons. Have you looked at what is available just using your existing cell plan and adding on? If you set your phone to no data roaming while youā€™re walking and use WiFi most of the time you could get away with using the roaming add on from your US carrier. Or home country if youā€™re not in the US.
https://en.orange.es/ for more info on Orange?

My impression is that most of them work that way (data, but with no phone number), but as I've been researching them, every once in a while there's one that says it does gave you a phone number. I think only Orange offers that right now, if I remember correctly. One of the things I'm trying to figure out is whether I need a Spanish phone number. If I can call or WhatsApp Spanish friends and hostales, etc. with my American number just fine, why have a Spanish number? On the other hand, I can't see how it would hurt anything, as long as it doesn't cost a lot more to get one.
I donā€™t think you need a Spanish phone number - especially if youā€™re comfortable using WhatsApp. You can make voice and video calls over WhatsApp and itā€™s pretty much ubiquitous on the Camino. If one of the data eSIM providers has a better deal than Orange I would go with them. Better in this case means cheaper and/or bigger data allowance. Check, if you can, whose network they're piggybacking on. You might get the Orange network anyway šŸ˜€ Best of luck!

They come in both flavours. My phone has a physical SIM from -ee- which is my personal plan. And an eSIM from Vodafone which is my work plan. Both have their own phone numbers, call minutes, SMS and data allowances. Itā€™s great for me as I donā€™t have to carry two phones but can have a work mobile number separate from my personal number. I could, if I wanted to, add another eSIM and that could be data only or data, voice and SMS. Eventually we wonā€™t need physical SIMs st all.
In fact, my iPhone 14 doesnā€™t even have a sim slot. Itā€™ll allow multiple esims to be installed, though

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

ā‚¬149,-
Havenā€™t read all the posts but ā€¦
In autumn 2022 I had my phone on all day streaming some audio for a couple of hours, using GPS tracking and using FindPenguins (similar to Polar Steps). I usually but not always waited till I had wifi to upload draft posts to FindPenguins.
I used about 10 GB per month. I used an esim rather than a Spanish SIM card which is more expensive but enabled me to keep my phone number.
Edit - I found Airalo had the best deal for Spain for an esim

Havenā€™t read all the posts but ā€¦
In autumn 2022 I had my phone on all day streaming some audio for a couple of hours, using GPS tracking and using FindPenguins (similar to Polar Steps). I usually but not always waited till I had wifi to upload draft posts to FindPenguins.
I used about 10 GB per month. I used an esim rather than a Spanish SIM card which is more expensive but enabled me to keep my phone number.
Edit - I found Airalo had the best deal for Spain for an esim
That's helpful. Thank you Rita.

I used FindPengins in airplane mode many days during my walk and had no issues wit tracking.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

I tried a number of esims in my recent 3 months in Europe - some with capacity to do local calls (which I believe gives you a local phone number) and some data only. The Auralo data only were the cheapest (but are still more expensive than a physical Spanish SIM card) and I ended up using Skype calls to make local phone calls - then local people didnā€™t need to be on WhatsApp.
For people in my contacts I used FaceTime for other iPhone and WhatsApp for everyone else.
Edit - I believe your phone needs to be unlocked - not committed to a particular provider?

I tried a number of esims in my recent 3 months in Europe - some with capacity to do local calls (which I believe gives you a local phone number) and some data only. The Auralo data only were the cheapest (but are still more expensive than a physical Spanish SIM card) and I ended up using Skype calls to make local phone calls - then local people didnā€™t need to be on WhatsApp.
For people in my contacts I used FaceTime for other iPhone and WhatsApp for everyone else.
Edit - I believe your phone needs to be unlocked - not committed to a particular provider?
My phone is unlocked. I paid more for that when I bought it 2-3 years ago because I wanted to be able to use it easily in Spain when I go there. So much to figure out now about all this stuff! My phone has the ability to add an esim, but I think if I were to get a regular physical SIM card, it would involve taking out the sim that's in there now, which would mean that I don't get calls or texts that might be important from home. I have a couple Spanish flip phones that I bought on earlier trips to Spain, with a cheap phone plan. Maybe I'll just get data for my smart phone via Airalo and get a cheap calling plan card to use in one of those and take both. But I hate to carry more stuff than necessary, too.

My phone has the ability to add an esim, but I think if I were to get a regular physical SIM card, it would involve taking out the sim that's in there now, which would mean that I don't get calls or texts that might be important from home.
It is possible to transfer the data in a SIM card to an eSIM but perhaps not in every case. I did a Google search for transfer sim to esim and got a good number of hits but I suggest you add the network you use and the make and model of your phone to the search terms.

On the other hand it is easy and cheap to buy eSIMs in Spain with voice, text and more data than you will know what to do with.

I suggest using your settings to have text and voice use your home number and data be supplied by your Spanish number. That allows you to get calls from home any time of day. If you make a call to a Spanish number override the settings to make the call from your Spanish number. Do the same if you are expecting a call to your Spanish number.

It is possible to transfer the data in a SIM card to an eSIM but perhaps not in every case. I did a Google search for transfer sim to esim and got a good number of hits but I suggest you add the network you use and the make and model of your phone to the search terms.

On the other hand it is easy and cheap to buy eSIMs in Spain with voice, text and more data than you will know what to do with.

I suggest using your settings to have text and voice use your home number and data be supplied by your Spanish number. That allows you to get calls from home any time of day. If you make a call to a Spanish number override the settings to make the call from your Spanish number. Do the same if you are expecting a call to your Spanish number.
But then how do the eSIMs that don't involve having a number work? That data must apply to the other number, right?

But then how do the eSIMs that don't involve having a number work? That data must apply to the other number, right?
The easiest way to answer this is to say: magic.

The real answer can get very complicated. I'm bad at describing things that are complicated but I'll try by saying I don't know exactly but this is how things could work. This part is fact. SIMs and eSIMs have a number of identifying numbers within them that are used when making connections to cell towers. Quite possibly none of these are a phone number as you know them. Once a connection to a tower is made these identifying numbers are passed along with the type of service you are requesting and a look up in databases can tell if you are authorized to complete the action.

I hope this helps.

My phone is unlocked. I paid more for that when I bought it 2-3 years ago because I wanted to be able to use it easily in Spain when I go there. So much to figure out now about all this stuff! My phone has the ability to add an esim, but I think if I were to get a regular physical SIM card, it would involve taking out the sim that's in there now, which would mean that I don't get calls or texts that might be important from home. I have a couple Spanish flip phones that I bought on earlier trips to Spain, with a cheap phone plan. Maybe I'll just get data for my smart phone via Airalo and get a cheap calling plan card to use in one of those and take both. But I hate to carry more stuff than necessary, too.
Correct about the swapping of sim cards. When you get esim data you can make calls through skype calls (which is what i did) or an app that someone mentioned in one of the responses. Also many Albergues are linked to WhatsApp and you can contact them that way - or via email.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Correct about the swapping of sim cards. When you get esim data you can make calls through skype calls (which is what i did) or an app that someone mentioned in one of the responses. Also many Albergues are linked to WhatsApp and you can contact them that way - or via email.
I have WhatsApp and use it all the time because I do a lot of volunteer work related to asylum seekers from Central and South America, but most of my friends don't, and none of my family members. They need to get with the program!

Most read last week in this forum

Iā€™m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use whatā€™s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Iā€™ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which Iā€™m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Wellā€¦ā€¦ about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.