• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pole usage from Sarria to Santiago

Tixunau

Good day everyone,

I am debating to bring poles are not for the last stage of the Camino. I am a believer in poles and have used them quite often when hiking. I know they work for me when it comes to hiking through the woods (trails) or through different elevations.

My understanding is that the terrains is mostly a mixte of soft trails and roads beyond Sarria.

For those that have brought poles, did you used them a lot after Sarria?

Thanks

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It depends on why you use poles ;)

Some people love them... some people detest them. If they make you feel more comfortable walking, bring them. There is no "need" for walking poles on the CF unless you have a disability or you have subscribed to the "fitness" benefit of them.

I detest them... Actually, I do not detest walking "sticks/poles" when they are "needed". I do however detest having to listen to "click, clack" for 20-30km. So - I either speed up, and walk by, or if that is impossible - I put my ipod on and turn it on so loud that I do not have to listen to the "click, clack" anymore. Inconsiderate - may be, but no more inconsiderate that the people exposing me to " click, clack, tick, tock" - for 800km...

Make's me slightly cantankerous - if you insist on using the wretched things, at least get a "softener" for the end bit

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I carried a single pole. I like using it as a brake going down hill. My walk was from late October to early December. I found on colder days the pole tended to radiate heat from my hand and that I was simply carrying it like a wand most of the time. It ended up getting strapped to my backpack for most of my walk.

From Sarria the only 'steep' section where I recall using the pole was going into Portomarin.

If I go on a walkabout again then I will carry a lighter pack and the pole will stay at home.

Thats my opinion; other people swear by them.

Like falcon I used them every step of the way as did my wife last year. There are plenty ascents and descents from Sarria where you will need them IMO.

If I go on a walkabout again then I will carry a lighter pack and the pole will stay at home.

Thats my opinion; other people swear by them.

Good advice.

I had a very light pack on the Frances (pretty much the clothes I stood up in) and didnt feel the need for poles.

I had a very heavy pack (about 18kg) on the Salvador and the poles were a lifesaver.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Good day everyone,

I am debating to bring poles are not for the last stage of the Camino. I am a believer in poles and have used them quite often when hiking. I know they work for me when it comes to hiking through the woods (trails) or through different elevations.

My understanding is that the terrains is mostly a mixte of soft trails and roads beyond Sarria.

Thanks
I had poles and used them very little because of the click click click there are good tip covers (I didn't know) Black Diamond and Leki make the best . If you remove the carbon steel tip before placing the tips they will last longer. Entering Portomarin there is a steep downhill and climbing out can be rocky. I brought poles to protect my knees. My suggestion would be to bring them, don't regret not having them. Pack light enjoy your your trip you'll have a great adventure don't fear...... Willy

My running shoes were my best friend. Pacer Poles (with street feet) were second best. They were especially valuable coming down from Cruz de Ferro to Molinaseca through all that slate.

I use my poles continually both on the camino and in preparation. I use them from the start of the walk each day right through to the end of the day, in urban areas and in cities as well as in the countryside, although this year, because it was crowded, I did attach them to my backpack just before I went into the courtyard of the pilgrim office ;)

There is some current discussion on this here.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thank you everyone for your responses. I will most likely bring them with me just in case. I know they work for me in certain application/terrains but wanted to confirm how it is from Sarria to SDC.

Cheers!

Good day everyone,

Thanks

Hi there Tixunua,
I had the exact same debate with myself when I was planning to walk from Sarria to Santiago in 2012. I asked advice from this forum and decided to take them with me.
I am going again in 2 weeks and they will be going with me!. I found them brilliant and they were especially good on the hills, probably even more so on the downhills.

I know that the last stages are physically less demanding than some of the earlier stages -although that really all depends on one's own physical ability. Personally though, I found the walk from Sarria tough enough and I am not convinced I would have managed to complete my journey without having walking poles. I had the rubber tips on them rather than the spikes and this worked well for the terrain.

I also found that when walking on the level parts I sometimes carried them in my hand for a bit and the metal had a lovely cooling effect! we did encounter some quite hot weather in 2012. My younger and much fitter walking companions didn't use poles and managed fine but I loved my poles and even named them after my son and my nephew (Peter and Paul).
Buen Camino!

for me poles are indispensable on a difficult terrain when carrying load, because I feel disbalance and can move faster using them. On the flat surface I move faster without poles, but my joints suffer more then. At the moment my choice for CF is a pair of light carbon fiber nordic walking poles.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Good day everyone,

Thanks

My husband and I used our poles all the time and they saved our hips and knees. I definitely support their use!!

I too use poles, they've saved my bacon several times when I've caught my foot on a tree root or slippery section through mud. I either use them normally (left pole forward with right foot forward) or if my knee starts complaining after 20 mls, I revert to putting left pole forward with left foot forward which eases the weight on my knee that side. Also they are good for fending off dogs.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
That Roman bridge just west of Cirauqui on the CF? In it's mid-September condition and my bone on bone knees there was no way I'd have been able to scramble down the east side and up the west side without the aid of my trekking poles!! I use Black Diamond carbon trekking poles. I lost one of my rubber walking tips and found that the Planeta Agua stores do not carry replacement tips that fit Black Diamond. Next camino I may carry an extra in my pack.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Everyone has their own preference. I have tried without, with one and with two. I prefer the later. I am not good at upsies and downsies so every little bit helps. There is always a rise or fall in the road no matter which section you walk.

I was in Galicia in April and there seemed to be a lot of spring run-off flowing down the trail and a few stream crossing. My walking stick was invaluable during those times.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
First Camino and walking with my wife. Decision time. Fleece and Puffer. I think one only but weather looks changeable at the moment. Trying to keep under 7kgs! Looking forward to a experience of...
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.