• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Poles apart.

T

Tigger

As no longer a newbie, and yet no expert, I respectfully offer my thoughts on the use of walking poles on the Caminos. I was also previously a poles 'sceptic'.

1. I could have done it without them but my health, fitness and overall experience would have been lessened.
2. After considerable research, mainly on here, I chose and ordered Pacer poles.

I am so glad I did as I love them.

3. What you do with walking/hiking poles is, IMHO SO individual and should be tailored to your own needs, that it is barely a topic for general discussion.
4. My Pacer Poles allowed me the freedom to make them the most useful part of all my kit by being so flexible in their usage. Others who use more 'traditional 'poles may disagree or even challenge what I found out about pole usages.
a. My Pacer Poles gave me stability. On uneven ground they were essential. In high winds I used the windward one as a guide and the leeward one as a prop.
b. Ascending a slope or hill, I used them to assist my upper body to haul me up hills. Again the reverse was stability for forward propping on downslopes to save knees and assist stability.
c. On even ground I swung them with gay abandon and TIPBOTTED to my heart's content.
d. A degree of bra and knickers drying ensued at Albergues over my Pacer Poles. They never complained nor blushed.

In summation, my biggest strength in using these poles was just that...the AMAZING benefit to a FULL body workout. Whilst I lost weight on my Camino, the biggest difference in an old girl's physique was my noticeable upper body strength from using the poles with defined pecs and biceps. I had been assured by my physio that this was good for preventing osteoporosis so I am a great fan and will continue usage in my home/real life walking adventures.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I also caved in and purchased Pacer Poles, and never experienced any benefit other than what regular poles bring. In fact, if using PP you will propel so far ahead that your feeties may never catch up with your upper body.

If I can find them in the basement, I will happily sale them at a generous, to the buyer, price.

Last edited by a moderator:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I also caved in and purchased Pacer Poles, and never experienced any benefit other than what regular poles bring. In fact, if using PP you will propel so far ahead that your feeties may never catch up with your upper body.

If I can find them in the basement, I will happily sale them at a generous, to the buyer, price.
I would buy them from you in a heartbeat to assist some other ageing person to avoid osteoporosis, give my ...erm 'pecs' the definition they deserve, AND provide knickers and the odd ( in my case very ODD bra) a full airing ...as well as not breaking or injuring an upper arm should I fall as they just pop out from under your grasp in a falling emergency.

If you do a Nordic Walking training course and learn to use the poles properly you'd get the same benefits. Walking poles (especially Nordic) rule a big O.K. in my book.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm trying to imagine you swinging your poles but can't visualise tipbotting. What does that look like Tigger? Googling this leads to the fascinating world of cryptocurrency:confused: but somehow I think you are talking about something else.

I bought Pacer poles for my 1,000 km walk last autumn, and loved them. My 30 year old son joined me on the Camino Frances for a long weekend, and once I'd shown him how to properly use the poles, he agreed that they made a difference. I've not used them since, because I walk at home with two dogs, and I can't hold their leads and the poles, but I'll use them on my next pilgrimage.
S :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
While I love, love, love my pacer poles, this part:
as well as not breaking or injuring an upper arm should I fall as they just pop out from under your grasp in a falling emergency.

alas is not exactly accurate. I was walking in France and it had been raining for weeks, lots of flooding. Walking through the forest the rain had scooped out a hidden trough under the leaves and my pole and left foot went into it and down I went.

It would not have been a bad fall except for a slightly broken foot except that I did fall on my alloy poles and thereby cracked a rib and crushed a little spot on my humerus. Those hurt so much it was almost a week before I realized there was something more than a persistent hot spot happening in my foot.

So yes, they are great poles and I couldn't have done it without them, but you sure can fall on them. I know!

I'm a Nordic Walker and I take my travel Leki Nordic poles with me on the Camino. I love them as then have gloves attached and also light up LED paws. You can not miss me in the early morning when it's dark - lol! They fold up into a little bag (35 inches) and fit inside my backpack. They go through security at airports easily.

LESU-300x225.jpg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm trying to imagine you swinging your poles but can't visualise tipbotting. What does that look like Tigger? Googling this leads to the fascinating world of cryptocurrency:confused: but somehow I think you are talking about something else.
It refers to a post I posted in my virgin days on here which described a technique that I pioneered for using Pacer poles on flat surfaces, essentially using them every second stride interspersed with Tiggerish 'bounces' of joie de vivre!

While I love, love, love my pacer poles, this part:

alas is not exactly accurate. I was walking in France and it had been raining for weeks, lots of flooding. Walking through the forest the rain had scooped out a hidden trough under the leaves and my pole and left foot went into it and down I went.

It would not have been a bad fall except for a slightly broken foot except that I did fall on my alloy poles and thereby cracked a rib and crushed a little spot on my humerus. Those hurt so much it was almost a week before I realized there was something more than a persistent hot spot happening in my foot.

So yes, they are great poles and I couldn't have done it without them, but you sure can fall on them. I know!
Accidents can will and do happen yet it is a bonus in my view NOT to have your wrists attached to the poles in such cases, so that your hand and arm is most often flipped out in a fall. Of course one can fall on any type of pole in an accident.

Pacer must love these posts; they certainly get a flury of them....
In my opinion they are a superior product so I tell of my experiences of their use. I have no connection to the manufacturers barring some wonderful product information and sales and service aftercare. In this case I am pointing our the benefits of an ergonomic hand grip and no need for tensioning with a strap, which has some advantages in weight transference and reduction of unwanted consequences in common falls.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hola @Tigger - when I first saw Pacer Poles I rejected them (not sure why - too long ago). Anyway I need to purchase new poles for my recent Camino so I checked out the Pacer Poles again. Low and behold the price had come down about 25-35 AUD (changes to the AUD - Pound exchange rates) so I order a set.
Results - I can honestly say there were places on the Camino Frances that I doubt I would have completed without poles and the Pacers were really great. Comfortable and sturdy.:)

IMG_2162.JPG i sent this photo to my wife. i captioned it "they are not arguing they are just poles apart" i got a"groan" in response.

Love my Pacer Poles - the ergonomic handles made a world of difference for my hands and wrists. Can't wait to take them to Portugal next year!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.