• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Poles or no poles

Ana Maria Miner

Time of past OR future Camino
Leaving on September 18th for the Camino from San Francisco, California
Hello everyone, my girlfriend and I will be starting our journey to the Camino Frances on Sept. 18th from San Francisco, CA.
We are curious whether to get poles for this trek and if we should bring them with us or buy them in SJPP??
Also, any suggestions on a great trekking shoe I can buy? I am definitely bringing my walking sandals and was considering bringing my New Balance Minimus with Birenstock inserts. They are light and comfortable, but was thinking about RAIN; these are not waterproof.
Thank you in advance.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Welcome Ana!

The use of poles seems very personal and you will find many good arguments for and against. Here is my two cents. I was an avid backpacker for many years; Point Reyes, Desolation Valley, Yosemite, etc. with hundreds of miles on all sorts of terrain. My knees always hurt by the second day. Skip forward a couple decades with health issues and accidents, physical therapy and years having to walk with a cane (I have not used a cane for 4 years.) Last year was my first time backpacking with poles. My balance was great and my knees never hurt at all. I covered 780 miles in 6 weeks and don't think it would have been possible for me without the use of poles. I probably used them 60-70 percent of the walk.

I also wore trail runner shoes. Saucony Peregrines. Very light and dry quickly. I also wore out the insoles very quickly and the bottoms of my feet hurt after walking all day. I ended up buying a new pair of trail runners after two weeks with a second pair of insoles. The Peregrines were good and I have a new pair to use this year. I was just surprised how fast I wore through the insoles.

Good luck with your decision and Buen Camino!

Mike

Oh, yeah. I carried my poles on to the plane here in Salt Lake City with no problem and brought a mesh bag to pack them in on my flight home from Santiago de Compostela. Santiago airport does not allow hiking poles in the cabin. My poles in the mesh bag made it home just fine.

Mike

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I recommend poles. If used correctly they can save a lot of energy and help prevent falls. My plantar fascitis (sp?) hurt when I didn't use the poles and didn't when I did. It is easy to twist an ankle on rocks and the poles allow two more points of contact with the ground to help prevent falls. Bring strips of velcro (like the ones for wrapping around electrical cords) to attach them to your pack when you aren't using them.

Sixty six years old and two Camino's with out poles. In my opinion they are not needed unless you have knee problems. My wife has had knee replacement and she uses just one for balance going down rough tracks, she has also walked two Camino's. Think of the extra weight if you are not using them, just something else to carry. We carry our own pack.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I highly recommend using poles. Besides improving balance on rocky and steep terrain, they distribute weight so that the arms and upper body are taking some of the stress from the legs and knees. With poles, I have less fatigue and I walk with a smoother rhythm and a faster pace because I can "push off" with the poles as one does in x-country skiing. I recommend ones with adjustable height so you can shorten them on steep uphills and lengthen them on the downhill. Mine are Black Diamond collapsible poles (in three sections) that easily fit inside a backpack for the plane rides. And as someone else mentioned, do not forget to buy rubber tips for them (only about $5). The constant clickity-clack of unshod poles is a scourge on the camino, and anyway the rubber gives a nice grip. Good luck!

IMO one pole/stick is the way to go. It frees up the other hand and helps with balance in steep terrain and becomes a friend on the trail extending your range when the ground is loose and muddy or rocky and slippery.
A stick or a pole is great protector when you come across crazy dogs, banging the ground and growling will stave off the most ferocious mut.

Hi Ana and welcome.
Use or not use, that's the question. :D:cool:

It's a personal thing to use them.
Till now I never used poles but never say never.

Wish you a wonderful journey and a Buen Camino, Peter. :)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Blessings Ana,

I can only report on my own experience. I will maybe see you on the Camino Frances as I expect to reach SJPP early in Sept. and will definitely use walking poles. In addition to using them in walking, the will be used as a selfie / boom stick / bi-pod for photography and video and one is needed for my tent. Make things do as many tasks as possible.

I will also use walking sandals as well as some new bnoots from Far West, the Saanich WP Model. I bought them in May and they awere broken in after only a couple of weeks. They are made of Goretex so Water resistand with a full Vibram sole / heel.

Hope this helps.

I am an advocate for using poles. Not just one, but two, and using them all the time.

The physics of pole use is simple. They extend your wrists (if they are being used properly) to the ground. In doing that they do a combination of three things:
  1. Shift some of the load carrying from your knees and ankles to your upper body.
  2. increase your speed, although I normally adjust my poles for more lift than push.
  3. Increase the size of your contact patch with the ground, increasing both your static and dynamic stabilty.
Poles don't reduce energy consumption, but by reducing the load on your lower joints, you might feel less tired using them.

They are of absolutely no use at all if they are in your pack.

And for those who think they are only useful if you already have knee problems, my question is why would you forego the opportunity to prevent or delay those problems?

As for rubber tips, they will reduce traction on loose surfaces. I find removing them and putting them in my pocket when walking outside of towns on unsealed surfaces works best. I then put the rubber tips back on to reduce the tapping noise in towns or for traction on sealed surfaces.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Many people start out with poles. But many abandon them along the way. On the latter part of the camino frances they are not as common. Sometimes there is just too much fixation on gear and equipment. I prefer to carry one pole or stick or whatever you pick up along the road. For dogs and to get a good walking rhythm.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Another convert to Pacerpoles here. Advantages are listed above, plus you avoid swollen hands, which is often a problem for me. If I were you I would buy a pair now and both try them to see if you like them or not, and you can also both try using just the one, which some people prefer - it is a different rhythm and still prevents swollen hands and aids in up or down hill. You'll soon find out if you want to take them, or not, or get another pair.

On the condition (please) that you keep the rubber tips on to stop the clicketyclacking and also that you fasten them to your packs between uses with the tips pointing down, not up to poke someone's eyes out. (rant over) :D

I walked the Camino Francis with no poles. The vast majority of the path is pretty good. I have balance problems and only took one tumble - that was due to my shoe laces as well. I carry my own pack and try to minimise my pack weight, around 5 kg for the Camino. I have used them in the past and am not convinced by their usefulness. If you do get them please put rubber tips on them. Enjoy the experience.

Yes you can buy them in SJPdP. They are much cheaper in Spain then they are here.They are readily available in many towns along the way.

I have walked 3 Caminos and never had an issue with dogs. More important is realizing that using poles saved me from serious falls at least a couple of times on each trip. That made using them worth it.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Poles. Yes. All the way and all the time. They have saved me from falls and also put me into 4wd when going up all those darned hills. This time I brought Pacer poles. They are fabulous. When I returned from my last Camino I kissed my boots. This time I will kiss my boots and my Pacer poles.

In my opinion they are not needed unless you have knee problems.

I walked with a few who spent way too much for a set of poles and found no need for them, none of them had previous knee issues.
On the other hand, I do have previous knee issues from my previous job working on boats with steel decks, and I had feeling that I would use them, they were necessary for the first half, the second half only in a few places.
If I didn't have any previous knee issues, I wouldn't bother bringing walking poles.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
When backpacking Peg and I have used a pole apiece from a set. On our camino she asked to try my pole too to see if it would make a difference. She used both poles for 800 km and liked it and I was happy to do without any poles. We are back to using single poles for backpacking.

We silent traditionalists of the walking stick tribe encourage you to fight against the power of all of this new-fangled technology. No one looks cool wandering the earth with fiberglass and aluminum poles! ;)

We silent traditionalists of the walking stick tribe encourage you to fight against the power of all of this new-fangled technology. No one looks cool wandering the earth with fiberglass and aluminum poles! ;)
You must have very selective hearing!! By far the noisiest poles we heard were wooden poles. As for the second part of this, I cannot imagine foregoing the benefits of modern technical pole design just to make a fashion statement for a day or so, let alone the whole of any of the longer routes.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You must have very selective hearing!! By far the noisiest poles we heard were wooden poles. As for the second part of this, I cannot imagine foregoing the benefits of modern technical pole design just to make a fashion statement for a dsy or so, let alone the whole of any of the longer routes.
Surely you know that I jest (as the little winking man indicates!), but I couldn't resist.

I am, however, a walking staff guy. Having used both (quite effectively) I simply prefer the length of a good walking staff versus a pair of shorter trekking poles -- purely a personal preference, I might add, as physics and physiology do indeed bear out your earlier remarks.

Ultreya,

-Jason

Surely you know that I jest (as the little winking man indicates!), but I couldn't resist.

I am, however, a walking staff guy. Having used both (quite effectively) I simply prefer the length of a good walking staff versus a pair of shorter trekking poles -- purely a personal preference, I might add, as physics and physiology do indeed bear out your earlier remarks.

Ultreya,

-Jason
I was amazed this year at the noise wooden poles were making. So few of them now are not fitted with a substantial metal ferrule and the racket they make beggars belief in my view. Those without a ferrule were far quieter, but also relatively rare.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I started using one pole while hiking. It makes a great brake going down hills and my knees are getting older.

I took one pole on the camino. Much of the time it was carried in my hand. In November when it got frosty it acted like a heat radiator so I tied it to my pack. So most of the time it was just useless weight.

Sure some of the hills are long ... but you don't really need poles. Even if you do use them from time to time ... most of the time you just carry them.

You don't need them to prevent a face plant ... not if you've been walking without assistance since you were two.

You don't need them to prevent a face plant ... not if you've been walking without assistance since you were two.
This is a personal point of view. I have a friend who would disagree with you. He claims using poles saved him from serious injury on the descent into Zubiri. I saw the bend that the incident left in one of his pole sections, and believe him that had he come into contact with the rocks, things could have been far worse. He had the good sense to be using his poles, and not carrying them in his pack.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am an advocate for using poles. Not just one, but two, and using them all the time.

The physics of pole use is simple. They extend your wrists (if they are being used properly) to the ground. In doing that they do a combination of three things:
  1. Shift some of the load carrying from your knees and ankles to your upper body.
  2. increase your speed, although I normally adjust my poles for more lift than push.
  3. Increase the size of your contact patch with the ground, increasing both your static and dynamic stabilty.
Poles don't reduce energy consumption, but by reducing the load on your lower joints, you might feel less tired using them.

And for those who think they are only useful if you already have knee problems, my question is why would you forego the opportunity to prevent or delay those problems?

As for rubber tips, they will reduce traction on loose surfaces. I find removing them and putting them in my pocket when walking outside of towns on unsealed surfaces works best. I then put the rubber tips back on to reduce the tapping noise in towns or for traction on sealed surfaces.
I complity agree with you!!
A very good help for any walker!!
I began using none , later one , and since some time ago 2 poles !!
Very happy about that!
Definitely YES!!

We are neighbors if you are from SF! I am east of you.

I just returned from walking the Camino Frances about a week ago. I brought my poles from home on my trip (plus rubber tips that I had to replace at Sarria, I lost one in the mud.) I used them every single day. They were an extension of my arms. I immediately knew if they were missing. They kept the circulation going in my arms as well. Even on the flat stuff, I used them. There are two pilgrim shops that I am aware of in SJPdP that sell poles, packs, and ponchos etc. if you wanted to wait and get them there,

As for my walking shoe, I had Solomon's and LOVED them. I was originally going to bring my Merrill Moab's, but changed to trail runners. The reasoning was that even though my Merrill's were water proof, they take a long time to dry out if they do happen to get wet from the rain. My trail runners were not waterproof, but when they got wet, they did dry out quickly overnight. They were also super light. Below are my exact trail shoes. I also brought my Keen Whisper sandals which were great for walking around the villages.

https://www.rei.com/product/846713/salomon-speedcross-3-trail-running-shoes-womens

You can PM me if you have any more questions, etc.

~ Margie (momof34man)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hello everyone, my girlfriend and I will be starting our journey to the Camino Frances on Sept. 18th from San Francisco, CA.
We are curious whether to get poles for this trek and if we should bring them with us or buy them in SJPP??
Also, any suggestions on a great trekking shoe I can buy? I am definitely bringing my walking sandals and was considering bringing my New Balance Minimus with Birenstock inserts. They are light and comfortable, but was thinking about RAIN; these are not waterproof.
Thank you in advance.
As you have seen by now, poles are one of those personal things. I will share my experience: on the CF in 2014, we went over the Napoleon on a clear day. It was windy--headwind on the way up, then switching to a crosswind on the way down. It was probably tropical storm force crosswind on the loose rocks on the way down. I held my poles at about a 45 degree angle to keep from being blown off the path. They paid for themselves that day--and after that I had little or no use for them and eventually just kept them in their little elastic loops on the pack. (Collapsible poles, even fit inside the pack for the plane flights.) On the CP in 2015, there was this one little village with the dogs...a pack of seven of them loose and looking like they wanted to sneak up behind for a little nip (I actually have a scaredy dog that does that) and I was nervous. DH and I each waved one of my poles and proceeded on through. The poles paid for themselves again that day. Even though the rest of the trip they were not needed at all.
If I am blessed to walk the Camino again, I will surely take the poles. (I include them in the pre-trip pack weigh sessions. After all, I'm going to be carrying them!) And it is likely that there will be one day where they pay for themselves once again.
YMMV. Buen camino.

2 poles, every step of the way. But 'use' them. Don't just dangle them from your paws like many do ...

And....what Doug said.....that good technical stuff ;)

I like to use a single pole or staff. Very useful for balance on steep and slippy sections, for chopping a path through overgrown weeds, and on rare occasions for waving at aggressive dogs. I carry it at all times while I walk and it becomes very much part of me. I have tried walking with a pair of poles a number of times but have never been able to get beyond the enormous frustration of suddenly finding myself a very inept and uncoordinated quadruped instead of the fairly competent biped which God or evolution seems to have intended. With a pair of poles I move with all the natural grace and fluidity of a concussed insect trying to crawl off a car's windscreen. Perhaps I simply lack the mental capacity to coordinate feet and hands. Part of me also rejects the idea of twin poles on aesthestic grounds - I am vain enough not to want to be seen in public flailing around with the things :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
IMO one pole/stick is the way to go. It frees up the other hand and helps with balance in steep terrain and becomes a friend on the trail extending your range when the ground is loose and muddy or rocky and slippery.
A stick or a pole is great protector when you come across crazy dogs, banging the ground and growling will stave off the most ferocious mut.
Did you run across crazy dogs? We found they were all pretty calm and quite used to pilgrims.

I'm another pole believer. Of course it is a personal preference, but they'd been suggested to me since I have bad knees, bad back and I'm slow as molasses. With the poles I felt NO knee pain, NO back pain (which I also contribute to a well fitting backpack) and I felt they propelled me up the hills. I was able to bring them on the plane from the US (NYC) but they were folded and inside my backpack. They were rather cheap (13$ online AMAZON) and decided not to bring them back to the US with me (I know, I should have.)
I borrowed some from a friend before my trip and took them on a six hour walk to see if I would like them. It took a few hours to figure out my rhythm but they helped me climb the rough spots. I suggest try a pair before you head out. Have a wonderful trip!

It's personal. So my personal comment is I've found nothing comes close to using two Pacerpoles. Only available online and come with full YouTube instructions on how to use them.
X

Thank you in advance.
We just got back in May. I have too many suggestions to write down.

We can meet in person in SF. I live there, too.

Gary

Thank you Dougfitz, that's the most helpful post I've seen on this subject. I just bought a pair of Black Diamonds, but now I need to learn how to use them! Nobody here in my part of Mexico seems to use them, and so far I've been too self-conscious about appearing weird on the training walks I'm doing to prepare for my mid-September start from SJPP. On flat surfaces they feel superfluous, so thanks for the encouragement to use them all the time.

Ah, to pole or not to pole?! (Or Two poles or not two poles!) As others observed, it's a personal preference. However, as a polio survivor with an artificial knee, it's not a choice but a necessity for me! Having completed 2 caminos in my late 60s (CF from SJPP and CP from Porto) using a pair of Lekis, carrying my backpack (all but 3 days when the pain was too much), I know that my pilgrimages would not have been possible without my 2 poles. They do all of the things others have mentioned: balancing & stabilizing on uneven and slippery surfaces, keeping dogs away, propelling uphill and braking downhill, reducing weight on joints and back... I definitely advocate the use of a pair of poles - and if you're not familiar with their use, do look up instructional videos on YouTube. I've seen hikers who did not use their poles correctly.

At 70 I'm planning my 3rd camino. Since I'll be flying all over Europe before and after the camino, using various low-cost airlines, I won't be bringing my Lekis for fear that some airlines and/or airports won't let me carry them on (checking them in costs too much). I'll instead bring a pair of cheaper, collapsible (13.5 inches), in my backback, with the tips removed. If they should be confiscated along the way, I won't feel the pain of losing my trusty Lekis (I had wrapped them in cardboard, along with my Swiss Army knife, and checked them in on previous trips.)

On footwear: I hiked the last 2 caminos (early spring and late fall) wearing a pair of sturdy waterproof Echo. I was very satisfied with the choice. This time, hiking in the warmer months, I'll use a pair of trail runners. What I give up in ankle support and waterproofing will be compensated by more comfort and less weight. My 2 cents.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you in advance.
Hi I don't have knee problems but still swear by two poles. They help you up and down hills, they take loads weight off your knees and help steady you over streams and mud. Best investment I ever made. Bien Camino

We duct taped the rubber tips so they wouldn't come off. Used them 99.99% of the time. Soloman hiking, lightweight, waterproof boots were fantastic. Sports Authority may still have them on sale. Buen Camino

Thank you Dougfitz, that's the most helpful post I've seen on this subject. I just bought a pair of Black Diamonds, but now I need to learn how to use them! Nobody here in my part of Mexico seems to use them, and so far I've been too self-conscious about appearing weird on the training walks I'm doing to prepare for my mid-September start from SJPP. On flat surfaces they feel superfluous, so thanks for the encouragement to use them all the time.
I remember feeling similarly self-conscious when I first started using poles regularly as part of my training walks on local streets. Many people were just curious about what I was doing as it was then so uncommon to see anyone using walking poles, even though people were familiar with cross country ski poles, etc. Either people in the area have become used to me using poles, or it is no longer note-worthy, but in any case is is now only rarely that anyone comments.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I had never used poles in any of the walking I did to prepare for the Camino but a friend lent me a great pair of folding poles to take in my pack in case. I was ready to leave them behind if I couldn't get through airport security with them but thank god I did get through. By day 3 I was relying on the poles to help me take some of the weight off my knees. I got better with the poles as well and loved teh way they engaged my upper body physically. Mostly though they really helped with a knee issue that developed and got worse. The poles, I think, were a big part of me finishing.
As I said, my poles folded up into a small bag that fit in my pack so I didn't have trouble traveling with them.

Many people start out with poles. But many abandon them along the way. On the latter part of the camino frances they are not as common. Sometimes there is just too much fixation on gear and equipment. I prefer to carry one pole or stick or whatever you pick up along the road. For dogs and to get a good walking rhythm.
I used PacerPoles and took in all their excellent advice about HOW to use them.. right length, rhythm with walking and placement. The people I chatted to who had abandoned their poles.. or were about to-- hadn't been using them properly, so they weren't getting the benefit. They were using them in front of the body, rather than being propelled/lifted by them being mid-stride/behind. And having to use their upper arm too much rather than just a slight movement of the elbow. They are particularly super when you are a bit tired, they keep you steady and the rhythm going. At the end of days all I needed to do was bend my elbow to move my hand/pole that little bit past my hip joint and , yep, another step :) And I totally agree with rubber tips, they stop the horrible click click and give better traction on slippery roads/tiles/pavements. Taking them on and off just became another part of the rhythm of the day, not toooo annoying

Did you run across crazy dogs? We found they were all pretty calm and quite used to pilgrims.
Yes many crazy dogs on Camino Mozarabe and Via de La Plata I needed my stick and loud voice to prevent attack - top dog wins !!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Poles all the way. Two are essential, having one just makes you lopsided and you have to keep swapping sides. If you are the fittest person in the world, used correctly, they will give you a full body workout, and you will walk like the wind. If you are a bit more crumbly, they will save your knees. But 90% of people don't use them correctly, or with enough 'oomph' to actually gain any benefit, so watch some videos. I have cheap sprung ones, and I appreciate the springs, as they tell me when I am putting enough force into the poles. You don't need to spend a fortune on them. Two cheap are more use than one expensive one.

It's personal. So my personal comment is I've found nothing comes close to using two Pacerpoles. Only available online and come with full YouTube instructions on how to use them.
X

I recommend PacerPoles. Although I have X-C skied with Leki poles, walking with poles seems very different. I spent hours researching poles, and I ultimately discovered PacerPoles, which I love. Here is an earlier post about PacerPoles from me. I do not know about other poles, but I do know that PacerPoles helped make my three Caminos possible last year and saved me while in the Bali highlands.

Because this thread is entitled "TREKKING POLES SELECTION", I wish to underscore your reference to "pacer poles" aka "PacerPoles," which I enthusiastically recommend.

http://www.pacerpole.com

They can be obtained online from Britain. There are also YouTube videos showing how to use them. Their handles are quite different from other poles, and they are very comfortable to use.

I used PacerPoles last year for nearly 1000 miles on the Camino Frances, Camino Portuguese and Camino Ingles. Before that, I used them on a difficult hike in the highlands of Bali. I am 70+ . These poles have been a major contribution to both my safety and my comfort.

Here is a review I just found online:

http://sectionhiker.com/pacer-poles-why-arent-all-trekking-poles-this-good/

It begins:

"British-made Pacerpoles are far superior to the trekking poles you can buy in the United States. I’ve been testing a pair for nearly 2 months and I am a convert. They help me carry a backpack with better posture, prevent muscle soreness in my legs, and are much more resistant to bending and snapping than my current trekking poles.

The main difference between conventional poles and Pacerpoles is in the hand grip. It’s kind of hard to explain so I’ve shot this video to show you. Instead of a vertical pole grip, the Pacerpoles have a horizontal pistol style grip, where your thumb is positioned at a 45 degree angle to the ground and the ball of your hand is on the top of the pole. These two changes give you a much better mechanical advantage to use the poles for propulsion and lift, rather than just lateral stabilization like conventional hiking and trekking poles."

I suggest reading the entire review, which also includes:

"If you decide to take the plunge, Pacerpoles has an unlimited 30 day return policy which may or may not give you enough time to decide whether you like the differences or not. Either way, you really need to commit to these poles to get any benefit out of them." AND

"Conclusion
I am very impressed with the aluminum pair of Pacer Poles that I tested in this review and I’m glad I finally tried them. Honestly, I will probably buy a pair of my own rather than continue using Black Diamond trekking poles for three season hiking. The Pacerpole hand grip makes such a difference in my posture, walking speed, and stability that I can’t imagine settling for anything less. If you climb a lot of mountains, you should give Pacerpoles a try. I would recommend sticking with the aluminum ones, only because they will be more resistant to breaking and they are likely to still be usable if you bend them. I’ve snapped way more carbon fiber poles than I ever want to and don’t trust them in very rocky terrain."

My own discovery of PacerPoles was through this Forum, which I explained in an earlier post:

"I do not think I would have completed the Caminos without them, because I had several long stretches with a problem with my left leg. Others in my family have also used them with similarly positive experiences. I tried them after reading a lengthy thread asking something like "Does anyone NOT like PacerPoles?" They are made in the UK, and there is a 30 day trial period. Learning to use them is relatively easy. The instructions and the videos are reasonably straight-forward. With their special, angled grips for the left and right hands it is difficult to use them improperly."

In short, I think PacerPoles are worth considering.

In short, I think PacerPoles are worth considering.
No doubt, but repeating this post in every thread that has the word 'poles' in it will get boring and start to look like you are really promoting the supplier's business rather than contributing to the discussion.
Because this thread is entitled "TREKKING POLES SELECTION", I wish to underscore your reference to "pacer poles" aka "PacerPoles," which I enthusiastically recommend.
That might have been so for the previous time you posted this, but it isn't this time. Enthusiasm is one thing, product promotion something completely different. Can we stick to the subject rather than become advertising agents for a particular company.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There'll certainly be no advertising in this post - some years ago, I used a single pole for a day when walking in the Alps but found any occasional benefit was outweighed by the irritation of carrying them around the rest of the time

I feel much happier with my trail runners and Vibram soles and prefer to have both my hands free in case I slip - I walk without poles and typically aim to walk between 40-50km each day and have had no mechanical problems with my knees / feet - and since I travel light there is less pressure on the rest of my body - and I've never had to resort to Nurofen either - and I travel carry-on only so this is another reason for avoiding poles

"Enthusiasm is one thing, product promotion something completely different." What??

Please be assured that my motivation is my enthusiasm for a great product that I first discovered on this Forum, where I also obtained lots of helpful information, making my commencement of my 3 caminos more confident, better informed, and very enjoyable.

I was initially hesitant to order poles from Britain rather than buy those I had examined locally at REI here in California. This forum and a positive blurb by Chris Bennington, however, prompted me to put aside my doubts and order these poles.

I am sorry that others have questioned my genuine enthusiasm, apparently suspecting it to be motivated by crass commercialism.

I am merely a retired 71 year old, living in California, trying to share information I thought useful to others like me who come to this forum looking for assistance as they consider embarking on what for me (in my out of shape physical condition) was a major adventure.

As previously posted, I am very grateful for the information that I obtained from this forum, for the open discussion, for the sometimes sharply contrasting opinions, for the recommendations.

I am sorry if my genuine enthusiasm offended others.

Hi REV
I also am never offended by genuine enthusiasm. Quite the reverse, especially in this instance.
But then....I have to declare an interest.
I am a dedicated PP user.
The problem arises because of perhaps somewhat over eager endorsement of the product on this forum over several years by "born again" PP users.
We get excited!
But in general non-comercial product promotion by forum members is to be encouraged imo.
Keep up the good work.
Regards
Gerard

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you, GerardCarey

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.