• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Poles, Poles, Poles...and Planes

KJFSophie

My Way, With Joy !
Time of past OR future Camino
2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022
I fully appreciate the topic has been discussed ad nauseam and usually ends in arguments regarding poles on planes. Some will claim they never had an issue putting their poles into their packs and walking onto the airplane with them for the overhead, others have had them confiscated at the airport, some forced to check their bag because of the poles. Opinions will vary greatly based on experiences at the airports.
Here are a few things to consider:
I was told by a friend who works for the TSA in the US that it is largely the call of the screening agent. His/her opinion to allow or not will be based on whether or not the poles pose a threat in any way. If they are deep inside your bag rather than strapped to the outside, they become less of a threat. If they are broken down as small as possible ( preferably z-poles )and have no sharp point ( hard tips removed and capped with rubber ) they become less of a threat. If you take the time to wrap them tightly in 'cling' wrap / Saran / plastic wrap, they become less of a threat because they would not be readily accessible.

I take a large mailer envelope and length of bubble wrap to the airport in my tote bag. The envelope has my identification info on it already and is self sealing with a tape strip. Should the poles be refused at the TSA check, I can simply place the poles only in the envelope and check them in without having to check my entire pack. It will be easier to replace poles than an entire lost pack. It will be easier to collect them at the airport also as small or very large odd shaped checked items go to a different collection spot at most airports and not off of the carousel.

( if you don't end up needing your mailer envelop and plastic bubble wrap you can discard it or simply place it flat in your pack for the trip home. It makes a nice waterproof cushion to sit on along the way too...lol )

*** EDIT posting not meant to incite another riot of " pole or not to pole "...just some things to consider if one is leaning towards trying to bring onboard.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Nice ideas. I may try the cling wrap. I have had my poles disassembled with specially purchased large rubber "boots" on the ends and fully inside my backpack...still confiscated. After getting so far in the long line I do not want to backtrack to leave the line and start all over at the check-in counter to send them below. Another time I had them disassembled and tied together laying on the trampoline portion of my backpack and they sailed on through the screening conveyor belt...go figure.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Check them or buy poles when you arrive. It is really easy. Why screw around and stress out. I know this is shocking but I have heard there are 1 or 2 TSA agents that aren't the nicest people in the world and have a touch of a power trip.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have checked my poles a number of times. The times I haven't wanted to check them were if I'd purchased train tickets ahead of time and not sure I'd have enough time in between.

Check them or buy poles when you arrive. It is really easy. Why screw around and stress out. I know this is shocking but I have heard there are 1 or 2 TSA agents that aren't the nicest people in the world and have a touch of a power trip.
I have purchased poles at Decathlon a couple of times upon arrival, but not always gotten them back home if not checked. I have limited bus service after my flight gets back to ORD, so often prefer to avoid checking them at the end.

I recommend people buy the CHEAPEST aluminum poles Decathlon carries. They are €4,99 each, use spring-button length adjusters, and are suitable to purpose.

These poles come in one color, turquoise. You need only obtain rubber tips for them to avoid the dreaded click-clack noise

At that price point, just abandoning them at the Pilgrim Office is reasonable. They are recycled. Those not used by other pilgrims are sent to aluminum recycling. This is why I recommend these particular poles as low cost, but effective solution.

Hope this helps.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I recommend people buy the CHEAPEST aluminum poles Decathlon carries. They are €4,99 each, use spring-button length adjusters, and are suitable to purpose.

These poles come in one color, turquoise. You need only obtain rubber tips for them to avoid the dreaded click-clack noise

At that price point, just abandoning them at the Pilgrim Office is reasonable. They are recycled. Those not used by other pilgrims are sent to aluminum recycling. This is why I recommend these particular poles as low cost, but effective solution.

Hope this helps.
As usual, Tom, you provide practical advice.

Hope this helps.
Please share the exact location of the Decathlon you are recommending. Would be helpful for those considering this option to know where you are referring to. Thank you !

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
For my first Camino I used a mailing tube for poles and a couple toiletries. For my second, I was meeting a friend along the way who was worried that we would not make the train from Madrid if we had to retrieve checked stuff.

So I did all that you mentioned, KJFSophie. I brought a mailing tube addressed to me, I wrapped my z-poles well, had rubber tips and buried them deep inside my pack. All was good, no problems. I gave the mailing tube to my brother, who was standing by (not traveling with me).

I did lose the poles along the CF and had to buy new ones at Decathlon. Let me just say that they were not nearly as wonderful as my z-poles. But they did just fine.

I fully appreciate the topic has been discussed ad nauseam and usually ends in arguments regarding poles on planes. Some will claim they never had an issue putting their poles into their packs and walking onto the airplane with them for the overhead, others have had them confiscated at the airport, some forced to check their bag because of the poles. Opinions will vary greatly based on experiences at the airports.

Flying out of Oz tonight for CP 2019 - poles are buried deep in my backpack, which will go aboard as checked luggage.

I understand concerns about lost or pilfered luggage and therefore the advantages on taking everything as carry-on luggage, but in my experience, damage whilst in transit is a bigger issue than lost or stolen items (maybe I have just been flying with reputable carriers?) - consequently the many straps on my backpack are all tied up to keep them out of harms way, with the added bonus of significantly increasing the time anyone with light fingers might take to get in for a look-see and possibly a five finger discount on used walking gear...

Please share the exact location of the Decathlon you are recommending. Would be helpful for those considering this option to know where you are referring to. Thank you !

Here is the direct URL to specific product page at www.decathlon.com (the US site). You can mail order.

The price difference from USD 6.99 for each pole is approximately the same as the €4,99 price I mentioned above.

To find these same sticks on other countries Decathlon web sites, search using the model... 8493063. I believe this is actually the UPC code assigned to this item. If correct, this number is the same worldwide.

Alternatively, search using this product code: 8110360264815

Hope this helps.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Here is the direct URL to specific product page at www.decathlon.com (the US site). You can mail order.

The price difference from USD 6.99 for each pole is approximately the same as the €4,99 price I mentioned above.

To find these same sticks on other countries Decathlon web sites, search using the model... 8493063. I believe this is actually the UPC code assigned to this item. If correct, this number is the same worldwide.

Alternatively, search using this product code: 8110360264815

Hope this helps.
Thank you for that info @t2andreo , but online mail order would bring me back to having poles in my possession that need to get to Spain somehow. I thought your suggestion to buy these cheap poles indicated there was a physical store upon arriving in Spain/France where one would walk to and purchase.

You did not ask that. Your question, and home location, suggested you wanted to obtain poles in the US. I answered based on that.

There are Decathlon stores all along the Camino Frances. The first one along your route of march is near Pamplona. But, check in the Forum or at www.decathlon.es and search for tiendas. There are also Decathlon stores near Burgos, Leon, Ponferrada, and Santiago. There are others that I do not recall off hand.

Here is the direct link to the listing of stores in Spain: http://www.decathlon.es/es/store-locator

If doing a Camino Portugal, go to www.decathlon.pt. I know for a fact that there are here are Decathlon stores near Lisbon, Coimbra, and Porto. There are likely others along the Camino Portuguese.

Here is the direct link to the listing off stores in Portugal: https://www.decathlon.pt/pt/loja

SCROLL DOWN TO SEE TOWNS / CITIES

There is no Decathlon in or near St. Jean Pied de Port. However, there is one near Bayonne that can easily be reached from the train station at Bayonne by bus or taxi. I have shopped there. Check www.decathlon.fr for specific location, address, hours etc.

You can use their web site to check on in store availability of the item(s) you want.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I located a Decathlon in Lisbon, Portugal, but it was quite far out on the north side of the city, so I took a taxi. There was no outdoor shop in the historical area in my research that carried poles and I stopped in at a couple of them to check first.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
For the uninitiated, new and soon to be pilgrims out there, your best option if you are only doing carry-on with your kit is to simply buy a pair (or just one if that's your style) of trekking poles in Spain, Portugal or France. Believe me, the inexpensive ones work just as well as the expensive ones, especially for someone who in all likelihood only use trekking poles once or twice in their life. I have used expensive ones (about 70 euros a pair) and inexpensive ones (about 15 euros a pair) and could detect no noticeable advantage to the expensive set. Don't waste your time shopping and comparing etc. Spend that time training for the walk instead. When finished leave/donate the trekking poles at an albergue or something.
One thing I do recommend doing is bringing about three sets of extra rubber tips for the poles that you will purchase upon arrival as they usually only have the tips that are on them and those wear down and everyone has to then listen to your pole's steel tips hitting the concrete...ugh.

Hope this helps.

This time I'm leaving my Leki trekking poles at home, and then purchasing a set at the Decathlon in Ferrol. I would rather use my Leki poles, but even though TSA has always allowed me to carry them onboard from the US, I have to pay to ship them back home if I want to avoid checking a bag.

So this time I'll give it a try with a Decathlon set. . . although I will look at the 'pricier' models for an extra 10 Euro :)

I'll say. I wasnt allowed to carry the wine I bought in the Madrid airport duty free shop on board flying home. They said give it up or check it. I had to go to another terminal on the other side of the airport to check it. I almost missed my flight but I wasnt gonna #$@! let them confiscate it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This time I'm leaving my Leki trekking poles at home, and then purchasing a set at the Decathlon in Ferrol. I would rather use my Leki poles, but even though TSA has always allowed me to carry them onboard from the US, I have to pay to ship them back home if I want to avoid checking a bag.

So this time I'll give it a try with a Decathlon set. . . although I will look at the 'pricier' models for an extra 10 Euro :)
Since there is no need to carry much food and no tent, the Decathlon poles are totally sufficient for Caminos, even though they are not the awesome lightweight Leki's. You and Jill will be just fine with them! Enjoy the Ingles!

When are you heading out on the Ingles?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We'll arrive in Ferrol early on the 17th, and start the 18th. :)
I hope to bump into you along the way...we walk out of Ferrol on 9/16 but are doing very very short days as my companion is older and a newbie. I'm sure you'll blow right by us! Buen Camino to you @davebugg and company !

I hope to bump into you along the way...we walk out of Ferrol on 9/16 but are doing very very short days as my companion is older and a newbie. I'm sure you'll blow right by us! Buen Camino to you @davebugg and company !

I don't know if we'll be moving THAT fast. Most days are only around 20 km. The single longest day will be from Betanzos to Odes at 29 km, but that is because I want to stay at a specific place that night and the other options are too short.

I will be wearing a Gossamer Gear Silverback backpack with a Forum Member Badge attached. So if you see me and Jill, be sure to holler :)

(I was planning on using the ULA Circuit backpack, but Gossamer Gear sent me the Silverback to try out and I ended up really liking it, so decided to keep it. I like my Circuit, but the Silverback likes ME even more :) )

I was told by a friend who works for the TSA in the US that it is largely the call of the screening agent. His/her opinion to allow or not will be based on whether or not the poles pose a threat in any way. If they are deep inside your bag rather than strapped to the outside, they become less of a threat. If they are broken down as small as possible ( preferably z-poles )and have no sharp point ( hard tips removed and capped with rubber ) they become less of a threat. If you take the time to wrap them tightly in 'cling' wrap / Saran / plastic wrap, they become less of a threat because they would not be readily accessible.

I take a large mailer envelope and length of bubble wrap to the airport in my tote bag. The envelope has my identification info on it already and is self sealing with a tape strip. Should the poles be refused at the TSA check, I can simply place the poles only in the envelope and check them in without having to check my entire pack. It will be easier to replace poles than an entire lost pack. It will be easier to collect them at the airport also as small or very large odd shaped checked items go to a different collection spot at most airports and not off of the carousel.

( if you don't end up needing your mailer envelop and plastic bubble wrap you can discard it or simply place it flat in your pack for the trip home. It makes a nice waterproof cushion to sit on along the way too...lol )

*** EDIT posting not meant to incite another riot of " pole or not to pole "...just some things to consider if one is leaning towards trying to bring onboard.
Hi - as a strictly hand baggage only pilgrim this year – within size limits and under 8 kg for some my flights – putting the polls in may have been a problem.

After reading everything on This forum and others - sleeping on it for a night I came up with a solution that worked Perfectly.

I ordered my favourite walking poles on Amazon – gave them my address of my first night hostel – (I checked with them and they were happy to receive a package ) – And they were duly delivered to Spain five days later.

Clearly I couldn’t take them home with me – so after a very satisfactory walk – I donated them.

Just a thought!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

This is our 8th Camino. We concluded some years ago it was so much better to have only carry on and buy poles in Spain. We take multiple flights to get to Spain, so we have no worries and no wait on arrival. And poles are cheap here. On this Camino, we started in Loyola and there was an outdoor shop right across the street. 10 Euros. We like them, so will wrap and check them when we leave. If they are taken, so be it.

I decided to chance it and carry on my poles from LAX, no problem! However the bottle of water I forgot to dispose of got consficated. Lol! I do have a laundry bag for pack and poles that get checked on my flight home. In Zariquiegui tonite, the Camino is very busy! And HOT😅

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Oh, for crying out loud ... just forget the poles and avoid the anxiety. Buy a pair in Europe and give them up before you leave. The Camino provides, right?

They are not that expensive.

I located a Decathlon in Lisbon, Portugal, but it was quite far out on the north side of the city, so I took a taxi. There was no outdoor shop in the historical area in my research that carried poles and I stopped in at a couple of them to check first.
Decathlon now has a small in-city store right next door to the Corte Inglés. They had poles last year when I was there.

Oh, for crying out loud ... just forget the poles and avoid the anxiety. Buy a pair in Europe and give them up before you leave. The Camino provides, right?

Exactly, and in reality they are actually less expensive than buying them in the states. I have seen them on the Frances as cheap as 5 euros each.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Hey Dave! I'm leaving for the Ingles in about ten days, flying into Santiago before taking the bus to Ferrol. I've arranged with Faith to meet at Pilgrim House to look over the collection of donated poles they have there. If nothing suits I'll check out the Decathlon, there is a small one in the town centre, it might be possible to order a pair in advance and pick up there, rather than the one on the outskirts of town.

Hey Dave! I'm leaving for the Ingles in about ten days, flying into Santiago before taking the bus to Ferrol. I've arranged with Faith to meet at Pilgrim House to look over the collection of donated poles they have there. If nothing suits I'll check out the Decathlon, there is a small one in the town centre, it might be possible to order a pair in advance and pick up there, rather than the one on the outskirts of town.

I had considered (and still am) placing an order at the Ferrol Decathlon, too. Apparently, the day-to-day inventory of trekking poles can be varied, but the online site allows for order and pickup at store, which allows for more certainty in model choice :)

I also noticed that there are one or two other outdoor shops which carry poles, too. I need to re-look them up.

The Lisbon metro goes to near there. (If you're taking a day and visiting the Tile Museum, for example.) Bus might also. Don't put the metro/bus pass into your front pocket and sit down, it fries the little electronic gizmo inside when the cardboard bends.;)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
That Decathlon pole is very interesting! I see that the handle is a loop of, basically, paracord or shoelace. Can anyone tell us all how big the slot is that it loops into? I feel the urge to make a padded fabric strap to replace the string, or a pad for the string maybe.

There was no anxiety on my end... and I walked right thru TSA three times with poles tucked inside of my pack with not one issue . I’ll check bag with poles in it to return home .

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
CHECK THEM...PERIOD!!!!!
Checking anything on to a single, direct flight is simple. Checking anything on to a journey that requires several transfers, layovers, and change of airlines is a guarantee you will never see your property again . Big difference and not a blunt , clear cut answer when coming from a great distance away .

Checking anything on to a single, direct flight is simple. Checking anything on to a journey that requires several transfers, layovers, and change of airlines is a guarantee you will never see your property again . Big difference and not a blunt , clear cut answer when coming from a great distance away .
(emphasis added)
This has not been my experience. I cannot say it doesn't happen, but I do know that it hasn't happened to me in just on 40 years of international air travel. Any travel my wife and I have done overseas for the last 20 years has involved at least one transfer to get out onto an international leg, and any travel to Europe involves at least one more transfer.

(emphasis added)
This has not been my experience. I cannot say it doesn't happen, but I do know that it hasn't happened to me in just on 40 years of international air travel. Any travel my wife and I have done overseas for the last 20 years has involved at least one transfer to get out onto an international leg, and any travel to Europe involves at least one more transfer.
Yes, you have been fortunate indeed. I’ve had bags lost in Europe ( and other countries) that never made it back to the US. ( Mostly non US carriers ) Not sure where the disconnect is or the blame lies. I’ve also received boxes mailed home from Spanish post office that had been emptied ... still appearing sealed by Spanish post, in the box purchased at post office... arriving completely empty at my address and bearing no weight upon its arrival at the US postal service, then forwarded to my home .Empty. Still... I have hope.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I don't mean to say that checked luggage doesn't get lost on routine flights every day, but from my experience, the problem lies not simply with multiple fights or mixed airlines, but with changes to one's original itinerary; i.e., cancellations or delays which cause deviations from the original sequence of flights. It doesn't matter if the need for re-booking is caused by mechanical problems, weather delays, or customer-initiated changes. The only times I've had lost or delayed luggage have been due to one of the above, and in both cases, my luggage was delivered to me within 36 hours. If this happens, file a lost luggage claim IMMEDIATELY after reaching your destination and discovering your baggage is missing. Be sure to keep your baggage claim ticket(s). Having photos of your bags on your smartphone showing any "personalization" such as colored straps, ribbons, etc. will help the agent understand your baggage color, type, and size for the description that is entered on the report. Also, knowing the brand name of your luggage is helpful, although for most pilgrims this is easy because we all know the brand and color of our most common item of luggage -- our backpacks.

Losing luggage on any flight is at best an inconvenience, and at worst a near-disaster. For someone just starting the Camino, it may be impossible to give the airline a forwarding address for delivery if and when the luggage does arrive. In that case, you may just have to bite the bullet and buy the essentials you need to get started and pick up other stuff from the "left behind" boxes at albergues along the way. It helps if you wear your basic walking clothes and footwear as your traveling clothes on the airplane -- at least you'll have that much. Even better if your backpack is with you all along the journey as carry-on luggage.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.