• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Poles to Sevilla

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Time of past OR future Camino
yes...
My new slimmer self is going for a slimmer pack for my VdlP walk. As a result I will be able to take my pack as carry on in the cabin... But I appreciate I can't carry on my pacer poles.

So... I wondered if there was anyway to post them on to Sevilla ? I could then collect them when I arrive and save the cost and inconvenience of checking?

Has anyone else done something similar before?

Thanks in advance :D

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You can post them to yourself "lista correos" (poste restante) in Seville and pick them up from the main post office there. It can cost more than the value of the poles (I think when I posted a set back home from SdC it was over €30). Most airlines that I've used, including Easyjet and Vueling, and most airports other than Lavacolla don't object to poles being carried on as hand luggage (I've done it from Fréjorgues and Garons near your neck of the woods, and Barcelona and Madrid in Spain) but there is no guarantee of that. Alternatively, you could buy some in Seville.

Hope you enjoy the Plata - I'm planning to join it somewhere north of Cáceres in early November.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I use Black Diamond poles which fold into 3 sections so I put them in my backpack and carry them on. It has always worked for 4 Caminos traveling from the US, including to Seville. I don't know if Pacer poles fold or retract so I can't comment on them but I am sure mailing them will be expensive.

I use Black Diamond poles which fold into 3 sections so I put them in my backpack and carry them on. It has always worked for 4 Caminos traveling from the US, including to Seville.
I wouldn't risk it flying from a French airport, we're in the highest 'state of emergency' at the moment....:confused:

My new slimmer self is going for a slimmer pack for my VdlP walk. As a result I will be able to take my pack as carry on in the cabin... But I appreciate I can't carry on my pacer poles.

So... I wondered if there was anyway to post them on to Sevilla ? I could then collect them when I arrive and save the cost and inconvenience of checking?

Has anyone else done something similar before?

Thanks in advance :D
It seems to be the tips that the airline people are concerned about. My black Diamond poles telescope down to a very short length but on my return flights I couldn't fit them into my bag. One flight desk said no problem but the second gang said no until I showed them that I didn't have pointy metal tips but big rubber grippy knobs on my poles. So I was allowed to carry them on.

Mike

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks for the suggestions folks. I'll look at the posting option and see how it compares with the cost of hold luggage :rolleyes:

I wouldn't risk it flying from a French airport, we're in the highest 'state of emergency' at the moment....:confused:
I agree that the situation is somewhat different now but I was able to do this in late March 2016 flying from Philadelphia to Madrid. I then took the train to Merida

Thanks for the suggestions folks. I'll look at the posting option and see how it compares with the cost of hold luggage :rolleyes:
On most US airlines hold luggage on international flights to Europe is free for one bag

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I agree that the situation is somewhat different now but I was able to do this in late March 2016 flying from Philadelphia to Madrid. I then took the train to Merida

I understand it is different flying from the US. I'm talking about flying from a French airport.

If you really must use those dam annoying poles you can always buy some on arrival. A camino friend of mine picked up some for 7 euros earlier this year.

Thanks again for the suggestions folks. I had virtually decided to go pole free... Maybe the option of buying there is better? I can see how I go for a day or two and then decide? I never had poles on my first Camino... But took them on the second.

Sadly the Pacer Poles don't collapse quite enough.... But I'll try again and see if I can jiggle things :rolleyes:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you want to take your Pacers, just send them to your first accommodation (which I assume you have already booked) in good time, and call or email them to tell them that you have sent them. Works every time for me and cheaper than checking them and less hassle than the poste restante option. Buen camino!

Most read last week in this forum

My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading to Aciberos. There...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back