• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

poles verses staff

Nanc

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (Sept 2016)
SDC/ Finesterre/ Muxia (2016)
I have hiking poles and planned to bring them

in watching videos and photos of the Camino, I noticed a lot of pilgrims using one pole and carrying the other under their arm.

does this seem to be the default position?

which raises the question: are two poles needed? would a walking staff do just as fine?
any one know the weights of the staffs in SJPdP?

The other motivation is that I now have my brother's staff. He died about 3 years ago and he was ever the peripatetic lost soul. His ashes are going with me and his staff is exquisitely decorated (might that be a temptation ?)
thoughts?
nanc

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Simply an individual preference as to poles or staff.

I have never noticed anyone using one pole and with the other under their arm...except when doing something with the other hand.

Many use just one pole or staff. Some couple seem to have one pair and each use one.

No one can tell you what will be the best for you personally.

(However I am sure they will try)

Poles and staves are most important for stability on steep hills, especially with rocky or muddy, slick ground. I would suggest practicing with both on hills and paths in your area to see which you like more.

Poles can additionally be used to help accelerate climbing or flat walking by using your upper body with the poles to help project yourself forward.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have hiking poles and planned to bring them

in watching videos and photos of the Camino, I noticed a lot of pilgrims using one pole and carrying the other under their arm.

does this seem to be the default position?

which raises the question: are two poles needed? would a walking staff do just as fine?
any one know the weights of the staffs in SJPdP?

The other motivation is that I now have my brother's staff. He died about 3 years ago and he was ever the peripatetic lost soul. His ashes are going with me and his staff is exquisitely decorated (might that be a temptation ?)
thoughts?
nanc

Ahh, Nanc - you will find that the poles issue is as hotly debated as the old shoes vs boots or poncho vs rain jacket topics! There is no right answer. Some swear by two poles, some swear by one, some prefer none at all. As with anything, it's a matter of personal preference (pole people will cite research on the benefits of poles) and some strongly worded discussions have ensued on the forum! My personal preference is for two poles. I had not used them before starting to train for the Camino, but found them invaluable for the additional support and stability they provided, and found they helped even on the flat. I saw many people with two poles, one pole or no poles on the Camino - there does not seem to be any such thing as a "default".

The only thing I would advise is that if you choose to go the two-pole way, do learn to use them correctly. There are lots of YouTube videos on the subject. If not used correctly poles are just excess weight, and possibly a bit of upper-body exercise! I think of all the people I saw using two poles on the Camino, probably the majority were using them incorrectly - just swinging them randomly and independently of their walking rhythm, tip-tapping along, or having found this method didn't seem to help them :rolleyes:, carrying them attached to their packs - excess weight as I say.

Regarding your brother's staff - if that is very precious to you, I would hesitate to take it on the Camino in case it was lost in transit (it would have to go as checked baggage). But I tend to worry about taking anything I couldn't bear to lose. If you feel able to risk it, that might be a wonderful way to carry your brother along with you on Camino.

Whatever you decide - buen camino!

Oh the pole' people! I've been living along the camino for over 6 years; in a beautiful little village, with the sound of the river, tree leaves wrestling in the wind and "click clack, click clack" from pilgrims using their poles to walk on flat cement. I love the pilgrims, I've given so much of my time and energy to them. But, we need to work on the pole issue. I get it, I know they're important for some people and in some situations. But, let's try to keep it relative. I'm sorry for the grand introduction, but I feel that it adds an important part of my recommendation. Bring as little as possible, you'll be amazed at what and how little you need to survive. You'll have less to carry, more energy for keeping your eyes off of the cement and seeing all the beauty that is around you. If you feel you need a pole, the nature will provide. But, bring a bag... yeah, don't rely on nature for a bag. ;P Buen camino. health love and luck. RK

Poles rule; two at all times, not just gradients.
A decent pair will improve your gait and posture.

Also, I should be worried about loss or damage to your late brother's staff.

Best wishes for good camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Oh the pole' people! I've been living along the camino for over 6 years; in a beautiful little village, with the sound of the river, tree leaves wrestling in the wind and "click clack, click clack" from pilgrims using their poles to walk on flat cement. I love the pilgrims, I've given so much of my time and energy to them. But, we need to work on the pole issue. I get it, I know they're important for some people and in some situations. But, let's try to keep it relative. I'm sorry for the grand introduction, but I feel that it adds an important part of my recommendation. Bring as little as possible, you'll be amazed at what and how little you need to survive. You'll have less to carry, more energy for keeping your eyes off of the cement and seeing all the beauty that is around you. If you feel you need a pole, the nature will provide. But, bring a bag... yeah, don't rely on nature for a bag. ;P Buen camino. health love and luck. RK

Welcome to the Forum, @ProjectBrigid.Org ! The click-clacking (so annoying, I agree!) is not about using poles, it's about using poles without the rubber tips which either come with the poles when you buy them, or which are readily available. There's no excuse for not using these - people can just carry them in a pocket and slip them on when walking on hard surfaces. In fact when I walked last Spring it was so dry that the ground was hard most of the time and I used the rubber tips all the way. They deaden the sound as well as providing some grip on smoother surfaces, and (I find) make the poles more comfortable to use on hard surfaces. So many people don't bother with them though, which is thoughtless and discourteous when walking through villages and other inhabited places (especially given how early some pilgrims start walking in the morning!). Perhaps we need a campaign to hand out cheap rubber pole tips to oblivious click-clackers!

Never walked with poles and never will - no need for them on the flat roads and paths that constitute the vast majority of the camino - much better to wear Vibram soles and use your arms to balance when needed - saves carrying the poles, too

Poles are optional, but incredibly useful when use properly for stability, to reduce the pressure on one's lower joints or even to go a little faster. As @GettingThere suggests, if you are not using them all the time, and not using them properly you will not get the benefit. Of course, people who don't use them have an opinion about this, but never seem to get it that pole use is beneficial whether you are walking uphill, downhill, or on flat level tracks.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I love my poles but agree that when you are walking in a town, please put rubber tips on or tuck your poles under your arms until you are out of earshot. I know I wouldn't appreciate the pole tapping outside my window at 6 am...

I agree that poles are not to everyones taste and before my camino had never used them.
If it hadn't been for poles I'm not sure I'd have been able to complete my camino, I agree on the flat I didn't need them for balance but on the ascents and decent they were invaluable for my joints.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.