• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Poles

peregrina2000

Staff member
I just thought of my forum friends and our many discussions about carrying on hiking poles. I am in Chicago, having just (once again) carried on my hiking poles. TSA had no problem with them. I'm not trying to fuel a debate here, but I did want to share that this marks the 30+ time I've taken my poles through US security. Having had them go missing once when I checked them, I far prefer to carry them on.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I just thought of my forum friends and our many discussions about carrying on hiking poles. I am in Chicago, having just (once again) carried on my hiking poles. TSA had no problem with them. I'm not trying to fuel a debate here, but I did want to share that this marks the 30+ time I've taken my poles through US security. Having had them go missing once when I checked them, I far prefer to carry them on.
Buen Camino. Norte again, right?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A very safe and easy journey to you Laurie!
I do hope you get to nose around up on the Invierno in your spare time... :)

And thank you for the on-the-ground info about carrying on poles from the US.
(For those who are new, please know the rules may vary elsewhere. E.g., in Santiago Airport, there is a strict policy of no poles allowed as carry-ons...so if you're from elsewhere, check to see what the policy is at your airport before you fly.)

My backpack is large enough to take my poles and they are always checked-in. Never had a problem.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
My concern is what happens when I go through security again in London. When I changed planed last May at Heathrow. I saw all sorts of people from my flight having issues at security that involved things they had carried on in the US. That's why I'm checking a bag with extra stuff. I've had bags delayed but never missing.
Thanks Laurie!

My concern is what happens when I go through security again in London. When I changed planed last May at Heathrow. I saw all sorts of people from my flight having issues at security that involved things they had carried on in the US. That's why I'm checking a bag with extra stuff. I've had bags delayed but never missing.
I offer this as an explanation for what you saw, not to convince you to change your practice. :) I have carried my collapsible poles through Heathrow in my cabin baggage. The people you saw having problems might have purchased something in the secure zone of the US airport (after they had gone through security). In other words if you buy a bottle of water after security in the US airport, and take it out of security in Heathrow (which will happen), you will not be able to take it through security in Heathrow to get on your connecting flight.

I offer this as an explanation for what you saw, not to convince you to change your practice. :) I have carried my collapsible poles through Heathrow in my cabin baggage. The people you saw having problems might have purchased something in the secure zone of the US airport (after they had gone through security). In other words if you buy a bottle of water after security in the US airport, and take it out of security in Heathrow (which will happen), you will not be able to take it through security in Heathrow to get on your connecting flight.
I WANT to change my practice. I just need more reassurance. :):) Thanks

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
(For those who are new, please know the rules may vary elsewhere. E.g., in Santiago Airport, there is a strict policy of no poles allowed as carry-ons...so if you're from elsewhere, check to see what the policy is at your airport before you fly.)
This is a long and venerable discussion. Lets be clear that the rules don't vary - poles are not permitted in carry on. What changes is the that the people who check that you are complying with the rules are just that, people, with all the differences that entails. There is a consistent view on this forum that TSA staff in the US are more lenient on checking about this matter than the security staff at Santiago.

Further, if you are required to comply with the rules at a transit, you will not have the opportunity to re-check your poles, or any other contraband, and you will have to relinquish them. I haven't used any of the London airports as a transit, but the transits in other places have all required transit passengers to undergo a security check before re-boarding.

Further, if you are required to comply with the rules at a transit, you will not have the opportunity to re-check your poles, or any other contraband, and you will have to relinquish them. I haven't used any of the London airports as a transit, but the transits in other places have all required transit passengers to undergo a security check before re-boarding.
Good point, Doug. Every Asian Airport I have transited through requires this--and who knows if they will allow poles as carry-ons. So if you're transiting through such places, if you don't know the local criteria for exclusion and are very attached to your poles, pack them.

There is a consistent view on this forum that TSA staff in the US are more lenient on checking about this matter than the security staff at Santiago.
This seems (at least in @peregrina2000 's case) to be based on many years of experience back and forth--my sense of what she's sharing is not a view but her uniform experience. And it is the uniform experience of people who try to carry poles on at Santiago that the rules are adhered to there more strictly.
Semantics aside, if you don't know about your airport and anyplace you transit through, and care if your poles make the flight, check the darn things.;)

I think we're almost at the point that any post about carrying on hiking poles could be considered trolling. I appreciate that there are some out there who disapprove of my carrying on my poles but I do it with a clear conscience since I am not hiding anything and I have never had a problem. I do bring a duffel so a last minute checkin would be possible. I don't want to fan the flames other than to say that I also have just taken them through security twice (long story with crazy transfer) at Madrid and once in Lisbon. The poles were in plain view and I wasn't trying to hide anything. Maybe I am just lucky.

Having said that, and in response to @alaskadiver I personally would not carry them through security at Heathrow. I have seen umbrellas seized. :(

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I love my lightweight poles ... black diamond ..,, so 2016 was determined to take them .... took my pack and contents as carry on .... Australia .... wrapped poles in bubbles / cardboard / labelled ... they would have fit in pack but knew security would have an issue ... Australia / Singapore /Paris .......

Soo the girl at Singapore check in Brisbane said : can't you fit them into onboard luggage ... I said :Yes but security wil have an issue ... she said : but they will get lost ... I thought well honey better than whole pack getting lost ....

So arrived Paris ... poles arrived ... I collected ....:)..... CAMINO was great ... others with heavy poles were envious :D:p....

It's all part of the Camino

Ultreia

Last edited:
I appreciate that there are some out there who disapprove of my carrying on my poles but I do it with a clear conscience
No more than I disapprove of any other scofflaw. Certainly in Australia, it is a personal responsibility to comply with the law, and in that, not bring prohibited items into the sterile zones of airports. To me the issue is not whether the security screening staff have let someone through with poles, nor one's personal view about whether walking poles are dangerous. While they are listed as a prohibited item, carrying them into the sterile area breaks the law. It might be no more risky to those around you than regularly exceeding the speed limit or using banned drugs for recreational purposes - illegal acts about which we might have different levels of tolerance. But to suggest that it is okay because the screening staff don't stop you is, to my mind, no different than saying exceeding the speed limit is okay because you haven't been caught yet. To me, it's just not the right analytical framework to use.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
For the US, if you have any concerns you can @asktsa on instagram or twitter with a picture and they will respond if it's allowed.

Does anyone know if taking the poles on your carry on are allowed in Paris (CDG), Madrid (MAD) or A curuña airports? I'm hoping to take mine on but not sure their policies.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Laurie,

I can't find your other thread regarding the tips on the Black Diamond poles but I have the same poles and the same issue with trying to fit on additional walking tips. I found a solution! Well, haven't put it into practise yet but I think it will work. Plumber's tape. I'm not sure what it is called in other countries but here it's a thin, white, stretchy tape that's wound around pipe threads to ensure a tight fitting. I wound several feet around the tips of my poles (right over the screwed in hard plastic one) and almost up to the basket, enough so that slipping on a replacement Leki rubber tip caused it to fit snugly. I'd add a picture but have no idea how to do so....

Hi Laurie,

I can't find your other thread regarding the tips on the Black Diamond poles but I have the same poles and the same issue with trying to fit on additional walking tips. I found a solution! Well, haven't put it into practise yet but I think it will work. Plumber's tape. I'm not sure what it is called in other countries but here it's a thin, white, stretchy tape that's wound around pipe threads to ensure a tight fitting. I wound several feet around the tips of my poles (right over the screwed in hard plastic one) and almost up to the basket, enough so that slipping on a replacement Leki rubber tip caused it to fit snugly. I'd add a picture but have no idea how to do so....
I describe a similar approach here.

I describe a similar approach here.

That's the post I was looking for! Thanks, Doug. And although I praised your method I must have forgotten about it as I hadn't tried anything on my poles until a few days ago. Being laid up with ankle issues I haven't used my poles in 2 years.

Does anyone know if taking the poles on your carry on are allowed in Paris (CDG), Madrid (MAD) or A curuña airports? I'm hoping to take mine on but not sure their policies.

Thanks in advance!

At Paris CDG, Emirates check in staff told me that I could not take my single walking pole as carry on luggage. Unfortunately it couldn't fit inside my check in luggage either, which was why I had to take it with me as carry on. The check in staff basically told me I had to throw away my pole. After some begging, he agreed to check my pole in on its own as a fragile item. It ended up being left behind at CDG and not loaded onto the plane because it was so small and therefore had been overlooked, but did eventually arrive at my final destination a couple of days later.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I've heard it's easier to just buy a cheap pair in Spain and leave them behind - has anyone done this? I'm walking solo on my first Camino and the thought of having poles is helping me get over my fear of dogs!

I left my poles in Santiago last time and plan to buy a new pair on arrival on my next Camino. This is significantly cheaper than paying for hold luggage.

Where are you starting your Camino?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I left my poles in Santiago last time and plan to buy a new pair on arrival on my next Camino. This is significantly cheaper than paying for hold luggage.
Does anyone know where I can buy cheap walking poles in Lisbon or Santarem?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Does anyone know where I can buy cheap walking poles in Lisbon or Santarem?
Decathlon Lisboa GPS Coords 38.732187, -9.152388. It is about a 15 min taxi ride from the airport.

Decathlon Lisboa GPS Coords 38.732187, -9.152388. It is about a 15 min taxi ride from the airport.
Thanks. I couldn't input those coords in a format that my GSP recognises, but I have Googled the place and found its location. By the way, I think I will still try sending my pole as a fragile item on this trip. My pole is of no use to me if I can't take it overseas because I never use it for any of my walks at home. If the airline asks for a large sum or if it gets lost, that's fate, in which case I will just buy one in Lisbon on my arrival.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back