• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Poles

tillyjones

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances June 2015
VDLP May 2017
del Norte Sept 2018
I just walked through security in Halifax, Nova Scotia with two hiking poles that got nary a second look.

Let the debate rage...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'd try it, but our connection through Dallas into Madrid is only 50 minutes. If security stops us there, 2 sets of carbon poles are toast! If you look up the American TSA list of non-items, it specifically says No walking sticks, hikings sticks, etc. Canes are OK .... hhmm, maybe we could add some handles?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hey, I'll be starting through Halifax on Wed, with Z poles in carry on, fingers crossed

Don’t forget, there’s pointed metal tips-even if rubber tips are added. Good luck, but give yourself time to check them if you’re stopped.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'd try it, but our connection through Dallas into Madrid is only 50 minutes. If security stops us there, 2 sets of carbon poles are toast! If you look up the American TSA list of non-items, it specifically says No walking sticks, hikings sticks, etc. Canes are OK .... hhmm, maybe we could add some handles?
Mine easily fit in my carry-on but I still check it. Wound up with no poles first 12 days of Camino when US Air and British Air lost our bags. Thankfully great pilgrim angels in Pamplona got them to me when bag finally arrived. Needless to say hiking boots and clothes I had to purchase in Balboa.

To me not so much a debate about traveling with trekking poles, but instead a matter of convenience as to how one approaches it.
I take a couple of things into consideration:
1. Walking the Camino is not a technical hike and expensive high-tech trekking poles, while nice are not a necessity. As I said on here before, you could cut two wooden broomsticks to a proper length and they would work quite well.
2. Purchasing a pair of trekking poles is quite easy and inexpensive when you arrive in say, SJPdP (you can also purchase them in several other towns/cities along the Frances, which I am using as an example because it is the one most discussed on here).
I say inexpensive (about 20-25 euros a pair for the cheaper ones) because let's say someone spent 1000 euros for roundtrip airfare, 150 euros on a backpack, 100 euros on shoes/boots, 100 euros on a sleeping bag, 200 euros on clothing, and so on. When you consider all that, spending say 25 euros on a pair of trekking poles upon arrival is cheap piece of mind knowing there's no chance of delays or hassles when trying to travel (for some a trip of a lifetime) with trekking poles on a carry-on on the way to walk the Camino (which is the best way to transport your backpack IMO). Same goes with anything questionable (liquids etc) in your carry-on backpack.
It is a bit liberating being able just to walk through security, onto the airplane on onwards with all your stuff with you. No worries, no hassles. The only way to travel IMO.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Back