• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Poles

Davroos

Does anyone out there have any ideas about flying with poles? We don't want to book our packs, but take them on as hand luggage, but will the airlines let me tak the poles on as hand luggage as well

Thanks

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Why not pack them in a separate cardboard tube, large enough to carry the collapsed poles, any liquids, knife, scissors, etc? Then check it in as luggage. Chances are they will arrive with you!

It worked for me.

Buen camino :arrow:

Lillian Rodriguez said:
Why not pack them in a separate cardboard tube, large enough to carry the collapsed poles, any liquids, knife, scissors, etc? Then check it in as luggage. Chances are they will arrive with you!

It worked for me.

Buen camino :arrow:

This is what I am doing. I just bought a cardboard mailing tube and will put the walking pole in it and just check that. I will still carry on my pack so as not to have the airlines lose it.
The worse that can happen is the pole does not make it.

Two things

1) As I wrote originally, I do not want to check my luggage in
2) Here in Europe, the budget airlines charge stupid money for checking in of luggage

So it looks like they will be staying home

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Call the airline and ask?

As irritating as airline baggage charges are, they may be less than the cost of shipping poles, and are almost certainly less than paying full retail in Spain or Portugal.

If you call the airlines and ask, and they say yes, get them to email you the answer, with the name and position of the person who has given you the information!
Maybe I'm just too suspicious of call centres!
However it would be a shame to end up having a difference of opinion with the chack in person:roll:

Hi last year I was informed by ryanair that my poles would have to be checked in and, on that account, I bought a special bag that would contain both my rucksack and my poles in the hold.
However when I got on the plane there were 3 other pilgrims who had got on with their backpacks and poles no problem! However I need and love my Black Diamond poles and can't take the risk of them being confiscated so I'lll continue to cough up the extra dosh when flying with the budget lines..... though not without feeling :x
N

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
All poles that I have used will come apart to make the length much less, and hence should fit inside your rucksack.

Undo fully the plastic rings that allow you to adjust the length, and gently but firmly pull out each section. This will reduce the length considerably. After arrival, you can put them back together again. They can be a bit greasy inside, so have a small plastic bag to keep them from dirtying your clothes.

However, this will not prevent an enthusiastic security person saying they are a danger and confiscating them - I remember reading that even a bishop had his crozier refused a while back!

Just an idea for you - but try the disassembly before you go

Mike

I took mine apart and put them inside my pack. I carried my pack on board and there were no questions asked. I flew American Airlines (a regional flight DC-Boston) and then Iberia to Madrid and Iberia to Pamplona. I used Pacer Poles and I have to say, I really enjoyed them. I've used hiking poles for years but I found this design to be especially helpful for lots of flat walking and pavement.

Some good info there, but I have been onto the Ryanair website with who I am flying with

What items are prohibited from being carried in the Cabin of the aircraft?

Pointed/edged Weapons & Sharp Objects; pointed or bladed articles capable of causing injury, including axes & hatchets, arrows and darts, crampons (grappling iron, hooked bar of iron, or plate with iron spikes used in mountaineering), harpoons & spears, ice axes & ice picks, ice skates, lockable or flick knives with blades of any length, knives, including ceremonial, religious and hunting knives, made of metal or any other material strong enough to be used as a potential weapon, meat cleavers, machetes, open razors and blades (excluding safety or disposable razors with blades enclosed in cartridge), sabres, swords and swordsticks, scalpels, scissors with blades of any length, ski and walking/hiking poles, throwing stars

So I could try and pull them apart or .....

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There is a problem with simply asking an airline if they are allowed. It is the security line people with the xray machines who will make the decision...not an airline person. You do run the risk of them being seen on the xray and denied or confiscated. I am very sure it would be different at each airport and with each different person manning the security line.

I don't have to pay for checking luggage so will probably check them (but not my pack). Of course, it would be great to not have to wait for them on the other end...so who knows????

There have been several threads on this topic. Here's one of them: frequently-asked-questions/topic6461.html?hilit=TSA#p37973

For people flying from the US, it's the TSA rules that matter -- and as you can see in that post, it is not clear if hiking poles are allowed on or not. "Ski poles" are prohibited and "walking canes" are permitted, so the question boils down to whether the security person thinks your hiking sticks are more like walking canes or ski poles. That means that there is no consistency and it also means you're taking a risk that someone is going to disallow them, because the US regulations don't clearly say one way or the other, leaving it up to the total discretion of the TSA personnel.

In other countries, I imagine there are different security regulations. And then to add to the confusion, there are the airline's own restrictions. If you are by any chance going through London Heathrow, all bets are off because I have been subjected to wildly different standards on different trips, sometimes just weeks apart.

I like the cardboard tube advice, because it also allows me to pack my pocket knife. But if you don't want to do that, I wouldn't be confident that you can get them through security or into the airplane, although as others say, it sometimes happens. Good luck.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
As I said above, I took my hiking poles apart (rubber banded them together so I knew which parts went with what pole), put rubber walking tips on them and packed them in my pack. I took it through TSA at Reagan National so that ought to tell you something as they frisk people with particular relish there. There was no question about the poles. I did pack a plastic trash bag and extra rubber bands if I did have to check them but there was no problem leaving the country or entering with them in my pack. TSA will tell you that crutches or walking assistance devices are typically allowed. That being said, I had no problem going through security with collapsed poles in my carry-on pack. If your carbide tips are exposed, that might cause some alarm.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.