• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Policia and Pilgrims

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Absolutely contrary to my experience over 30+ years and many Caminos in Spain. I have never found the Spanish police - local or national - to be anything other than fully professional, polite and helpful. The Guardia Civil in particular are making great efforts to support pilgrims on the major routes during peak pilgrimage seasons.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Question, I have been told that the Policia are not friendly to Pilgrims and Pilgrims should avoid any contact. Is this so or just someone's individual experience
Thank you

On the contrary.

On a bleak morning in March when I was walking a lonely stretch between Reliegos and Mansilla de las Mulas the local police stopped in their car and asked me if I was ok.They said that I should never doubt to contact one of their colleagues if I felt the need to report something.
Later I met them again in Mansilla where they were talking to some elderly locals and I saw how the policemen were interacting in the same nice manner as they talked to me.

The same on a quiet stretch on the Portugues, the year of the tragic murder of Denise Thiem, when the Policia was patrolling the quiet rural roads. Again they told us to report when we found something dodgy or unsafe.

Last edited:
Just the usual but this question is something I hadn't heard before and I couldn't find any past posts. Thanks for responding

Probably no past posts because it's not the norm. If whoever you heard it from had that experience it's the exception, and not the rule.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have total contrary experiences!
Met the first mounted police on the way between Roncesvalles and Zubiri, where you walk through the woods. They came downhill and informed the pilgrims that there is a very slippery part uphill.
I asked policemen in Pamplona for directions, they answered very polite and were cooperative and helpful.

The Spanish and Portuguese police have only one mission regarding pilgrims: assure them that they're present in case of any necessity and ready to help pilgrims in any way they can.
Both times I met Spanish policemen on CF, I had a great conversation with them and even a nice stamp 😊.

I include a link to an article that purports to explain the separate sections of policing in Spain. The article is popular, rather than official.There is a positive relationship on the part of the different branches of the police throughout Spain towards pilgrims, from my observation of posts on this forum, and also in Portugal.
In addition, the C20th history in certain parts of the peninsula might surface not so positive feedback from citizens who suffered somewhat from the way one of the branches (National? I am not sure) operated. That is anecdotal, not scientific information, so I will not elaborate.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Oh man, the Police here are fantastic. They are serious professionals and well trained for the job.

I imagine that in cases of having your pockets picked in Barcelona they are tired of the paperwork, but in every encounter that I have had with them I have been well and truly surprised by the experience.

The three branches all have their jurisdiction, and unless you are in a big city you are most likely to encounter the GC on the camino. In recent years and presumably for 2023 the patrols on the camino are often joined by an officer of similar rank from the Italian or French equivalent branch of police and will be wearing a brightly colored arm-band... an effort to internationalize (i.e. speak more languages) the level of service.

The GC 20+ years ago were more roughie-toughie and standoffish; but that’s changed.

Occasionally - especially in the bigger towns and cities where all three of the Policía Local, Nacional and GC are to be found simultaneously they have distinct responsibilities and you may find yourself redirected to the appropriate authority in case of need. That’s not (necessarily) being uncooperative or unsympathetic.

Question, I have been told that the Policia are not friendly to Pilgrims and Pilgrims should avoid any contact. Is this so or just someone's individual experience
Thank you

LOL. Who told you that? 😲

Maybe they watched 'The Way' and formed that opinion when Tom gets arrested for being Drunk and Disorderly 😉

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I include a link to an article that purports to explain the separate sections of policing in Spain. The article is popular, rather than official.There is a positive relationship on the part of the different branches of the police throughout Spain towards pilgrims, from my observation of posts on this forum, and also in Portugal.
In addition, the C20th history in certain parts of the peninsula might surface not so positive feedback from citizens who suffered somewhat from the way one of the branches (National? I am not sure) operated. That is anecdotal, not scientific information, so I will not elaborate.
Thank you for the link, that was very informative.

LOL. Who told you that? 😲

Maybe they watched 'The Way' and formed that opinion when Tom gets arrested for being Drunk and Disorderly 😉
I actually thought about that same movie scene, when he told me. He had done the Camino 2 years ago and didn't say why he had that opinion but, said it as some warning. This is why I appreciate you and others for answering, my question.

The Spanish and Portuguese police have only one mission regarding pilgrims: assure them that they're present in case of any necessity and ready to help pilgrims in any way they can.
Both times I met Spanish policemen on CF, I had a great conversation with them and even a nice stamp 😊.
Cool the local police stations have stamps?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you
If this is your friend's personal experience, perhaps they might explain to you what they were doing that led to this experience. It just seems so out of context with my personal experience in both Spain and Portugal, where police have always been polite, respectful and helpful.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you
There is a great app called ALERTCOPS in Spain which allows you to call for assistance if needed.
well worth having and particularly for women that might be a bit nervous.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
After taking a few wrong turns in Pamplona I noticed there weren't any arrows or shells anymore. When asking two policemen who were standing next to their car, one of them walked with me for about 5 minutes, leading me back to the Camino.

On the other hand, it is told that Spanish policemen are in fact human beings. So it might be possible to bump into one having a bad mood that day...

Thank you
Absolutely the opposite. I was actually stopped crossing a road by an officer who asked if I was walking alone. He gave me a card with a number to call if I felt unsafe, was lost, or injured. Very nice.

Thank you
As you can see the advice given by this person could not be further from the truth. Yes there may be individual instances of a problem. Ask yourself, maybe the problem is with this person and not the police. I always tell people who ask about safety on this forum or who I have helped face to face to download the AlertCops app so you can call the police and speak to an English speaking person in an emergency. I download it before I go on my caminos and activate it as soon as I get to Spain. If you have fallen and been injured, or lost or assaulted the last thing you want to do is avoid contact with the police in Spain. I have asked them a few times for directions or even for suggestions of a bar or place to eat and they have been absolutely great to me.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you
Have you walked a Camino before? Just asking because I see you are a new member. On our 3 caminos we have only had positive, protective experiences from police. Just outside of Najera in the pre-dawn morning we were heading out and there were a couple of young still drunk Spaniards coming from their nighttime revelry, smashing bottles and screaming out anti pilgrim sentiment. We were about to enter the small street where they were walking. Just then a cop car rounded the corner and said hooligans put their hands in their pockets and whistled their way down the cobblestones. Felt like knights Templar protection in that moment for us. I suppose if you are engaging in nefarious behaviors you might find out otherwise? Just a guess.

Thank you
My only personal encounter with the police this fall, was out on a remote stretch of the camino on the Meseta. Police SUV slowly creeping along, we moved to the side of the road.
The driver rolled down his window and looked us over. I said ¨Hola¨.
Then he gave us a friendly smile and waved us on (with a Jedi-like look that said ¨move along, nothing to see here¨ ! ).

Clearly looking for somebody specific, who was not a 191 cm tall, completely bald American! :)

The only other time I even noticed them was in Burgos, but their very visible presence
had to due with a nightime football match, and supporters of both teams took over all
the bars around 15:00! (Burgos FC won, the party outside our Old City hotel lasted until
04:00 the next morning!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I saw lots of Policia. I smiled and waved when appropriate and kept walking. They didn't bother me. I didn't have a reason to bother them. They did seem to be checking to ensure the path was safe - which is a good thing. I wouldn't worry about the Policia unless you are up to no good!

Never even thought to ask them for a stamp! But I suppose some of them work regularly along the paths, it would make sense that some of them might have their own stamp.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank you
Never an negative encounter with police safeguarding our movements 🙏🏼

I walked the CF in Sept/Oct of last year alone and only had one interaction with Spanish law enforcement and it was lovely.
Early one morning, two guardas were handing out the below "You don't have to walk alone" cards to pilgrims as we departed Cacabelos in the Leon region.
And...they offered up a sella/stamp for my credencial as well.
I felt so safe and welcome!

Attachments

• 20230117_115746.jpg
    20230117_115746.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 39
  • 20230117_115754.jpg
    20230117_115754.jpg
    844 KB · Views: 43
I don't want to disparage anyone, but your friend's nationality might have some significance. If he was raised where I was, he would have been taught to fear absolutely everything. 😢😡
The Camino Provides ... Buen camino.

Perhaps it's human/learned-cultural nature to be hesitant when approached by police. I have never had anything other than positive contacts with the local police. I know innocent people, however, who have had less that great experiences with the police (not in Spain).

When one needs help, you HAVE TO go to the Police, so you swallow any misgivings and ask them for help. Clearly, the overwhelming majority of encounters are helpful and friendly. I would not hesitate if I needed help.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Lots of positive anecdotes here. I’ll add one. Some years ago on the Mozarabe, we were walking a 30 + km stage with little shade and no facilities. About 4-5 hours into our walk, mostly along dirt tracks and not having seen another person, we finally came to a ‘proper’ road. Just minutes later a Guardia Civil car appeared with two officers. They said they had heard there were a couple of pilgrims on the trail today and were looking out for us - to make sure we were ok, and had enough water. We had loaded up on water that morning and were managing it prudently - but we were delighted to fill up with the colder fresher water they offered. Some Spanglish conversation, much gratitude on our part. and smiles all around. 😎😎🙏 🇪🇸 ❤️

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never had anything other than positive contacts with the local police. I know innocent people, however, who have had less that great experiences with the police (not in Spain).
Same. But I am judged as 'innocuous,' being a certain gender and race. Not everyone has this experience.

On the camino I have only had nice interactions with the GC as they patrol the camino on horseback or cars.

Maybe it has a lot to do with our country of origin and upbringing?
In all the counties in which I have lived, the Police were always most helpful and were people to go to when you needed help. Surely most of Europe would fit that category?

That is probably not the case in quite a few places sadly........

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you
Besides I never heard so from others and I never experienced anything that would support that statement – there will always be individual experience where people were treated in an inappropriate way or felt treated in an inappropriate way, no matter how positive the general situation might be.

1. There is always the exception. Someone might have a bad day or even might be the wrong person on the job generally. This is just bad luck.
2. Language barriers lead to misunderstanding and misinterpretation, both ways.
3. Cultural differences and differences in what is expected of each other may lead to misconceptions.
4. There is even a wide span as in what is considered an appropriate way how to approach each other and what is supposed to be polite or impolite.

I remember many examples when US-American tourists consider hotel staff in Sweden or Germany to be impolite if not rude while the staff is just being honest and realistic or just applying a sort of humour that is not understood. On the other hand I feel sometimes offended by an "exaggerated and false friendliness" with some service staff in the US.
So even among what we sometimes consider "western culture" (as if it was a monolithic thing) there are huge differences. In European sometimes even within different regions of one country.

Communication differences can distort perception of friendliness and politeness if you are not aware of the differences.

Never had any issue with the Spanish

Policia Local
Policia Nacional
Guardia Civil

or their Guardia Republicana (Portuguese) or Gendarmerie (French) counterparts. Never. And I agree with Rebekah above; Guardia Civil are most helpful, but if you are up to no good they do seem to have a sixth sense to see it!

Cool the local police stations have stamps?
There is one stop on the Camino Vasco where you pick up the key to the Muni albergue at the Police station.

My experience with the Police in Spain has always been helpful.

I even walked for a few days with a Policeman from Pamplona on the VdlP. We still keep in touch.

In the late 1960's / early 1970's as an hairy youth of indeterminate means rambling the roads of Spain I took every possible precaution to avoid any interaction with the GC. Best described as running and hiding at the first glimpse of that green uniform. On the one or two occasions when we did interact it was clear that a rifle-butt or a boot were the most readily available translators of Spanish to English.

Things changed after 1975.

I had an enjoyable conversation with an area comandante a few years ago in that truckstop in Villafranca Montes de Oca. He was really enthusiastic about the Camino, Peregrinos and the mounted patrols he had organized through the Montes. I told him about the "running and hiding" of my youth. "Muy sabio" was the response :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Maybe it has a lot to do with our country of origin and upbringing?
In all the counties in which I have lived, the Police were always most helpful and were people to go to when you needed help. Surely most of Europe would fit that category?

That is probably not the case in quite a few places sadly........
Sadly, sometimes it is not just your country of origin or upbringing, but where you fit in the social hierarchy in that country. In Spain, I wonder if Romani pilgrims would have the same experience with the police as we do. Sometimes we are unaware of our privilege, which we certainly have as pilgrims with tourist euros.

As @hikerat1's question is about the attitude of the police towards pilgrims along the Camino Frances in general and not about any specific incidents involving a negative experience, here is a tweet from yesterday that, I think, is typical: The police officers are actively looking for pilgrims who might be in need of help. The tweet is also a nice example of the linguistic mixture that can occur.

Some background: The policeman is a member of the Navarra police force, recognisable by their red uniforms. The location is the Ibañeta pass which is before Roncesvalles and after the French-Spanish border. According to a tweet from the pilgrim himself with his kick bike, he is at "km 5762 of my Camino from Sweden to Santiago. I had 2h of rain and 2h of snow today - and I was feeling great. More of my Camino on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/kick.it.like.peter/. Muchas gracias, policia, to take care of pilgrims in the mountains". The dialogue goes like this:

Policeman (in Spanish): How are things?
Pilgrim (in Italian): Good day, good day!
Pilgrim (in Spanish): I don't speak Spanish. I speak English.
Policeman (in Spanish): You speak English? [...]
Pilgrim (in French): Me? I am ok? Yes. Yes. Yes. Hospital. And then ...
Policeman (in Spanish): 1 kilometer. 1 kilometer.
Pilgrim (in English): Awesome.​

That's "real life" on the Camino. 😍

Last edited:
There is one stop on the Camino Vasco where you pick up the key to the Muni albergue at the Police station.
And a few times on the Mozarabe. So welcoming - according to the albergue registers they hadn't seen any pilgrims for while.

Attachments

• Castro del Rio.jpg
    Castro del Rio.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 24
  • Castro del Rio Police Station.jpg
    Castro del Rio Police Station.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 19
  • Castueras.jpg
    Castueras.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 23

€83,-
We got a sello from one of the patrols on the Sarria section last year. Never had a problem with them, and glad to see them out and about

In the late 1960's / early 1970's as an hairy youth of indeterminate means rambling the roads of Spain I took every possible precaution to avoid any interaction with the GC. Best described as running and hiding at the first glimpse of that green uniform. On the one or two occasions when we did interact it was clear that a rifle-butt or a boot were the most readily available translators of Spanish to English.

I had an enjoyable conversation with an area comandante a few years ago in that truckstop in Villafranca Montes de Oca. He was really enthusiastic about the Camino, Peregrinos and the mounted patrols he had organized through the Montes. I told him about the "running and hiding" of my youth. "Muy sabio" was the response :)
I lived there during thr Franco Time and yes the GC was someone to be avoided.

50 years later times have changed.
Last year out of pure stupidity I lost my cell phone with all my pics from that camino. It was in A Coruña. I called the local police with my limited Spanish and the local police lady told me that an English speaking officer would be on duty later in the day. He came in was very sorry to say that no phone was found but he would check with the lost and found office the next day to help with my limited Spanish. He came in on his day off and having travelled by myself I suddenly did no more feel alone.
Thank you from here for his kindness and help.
Police deal everyday with stupid rude unpleasant violent people so be not one of them. They do that as a service to us, plus they have a six sense if you done something not right. Then maybe you should avoid them.

Thank you
I say never listen to what others say, go and find out for yourself. Sometimes people just say anything based on their own perception of an experience. That would never be yours. Buen Camino!

From our experience, they have always been great. I would never hesitate to ask for help if needed.

I say never listen to what others say, go and find out for yourself. Sometimes people just say anything based on their own perception of an experience. That would never be yours. Buen Camino!
How ironic! Do you expect us to heed this advice? Or ignore it?

Sadly, sometimes it is not just your country of origin or upbringing, but where you fit in the social hierarchy in that country. In Spain, I wonder if Romani pilgrims would have the same experience with the police as we do. Sometimes we are unaware of our privilege, which we certainly have as pilgrims with tourist euros.
Instead of wondering or speculating, why not ask some Romani pilgrims about their experiences with the police?
Are you basing your question on that scene from The Way where the pilgrim from Holland says the police don't like the Romani? 😄

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

In the early 90s, I was in Madrid to visit a student who had lived with us while taking an immersion English course at our local college.
When we were walking on the street, I would smile or greet the policemen that we met, and my greeting was always returned with a suspicious or hostile look.
I persisted, and after a while, David asked me why I was doing that. I told him that I was trying to find out what would make a Spanish policeman smile. He told me that I did NOT want to know what makes a Spanish policeman smile.

These days I find Spanish policeman to be universally friendly and helpful on the few occasions that I have met them.
I wouldn’t hesitate at all to call them if I needed help.

Instead of wondering or speculating, why not ask some Romani pilgrims about their experiences with the police?
Are you basing your question on that scene from The Way where the pilgrim from Holland says the police don't like the Romani? 😄
I'm not sure if I've met any Romani pilgrims. Certainly, any Romani pilgrims here on the forum can feel free to chime in.

I'm basing my speculation on the very real racism against Romani that I witnessed in Spain when I was living there (albeit some 30 years ago). I acknowledge the possibility that such racism has disappeared from Spanish society, although what I've seen in other countries leads me to believe its complete erasure is unlikely.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm not sure if I've met any Romani pilgrims. Certainly, any Romani pilgrims here on the forum can feel free to chime in.

I'm basing my speculation on the very real racism against Romani that I witnessed in Spain when I was living there (albeit some 30 years ago). I acknowledge the possibility that such racism has disappeared from Spanish society, although what I've seen in other countries leads me to believe its complete erasure is unlikely.
This is still true today in many countries in Europe. I don't know about Spain, though, I haven't heard anything about Romani since I arrived here.

Yes. There is still racism in Spain against Romani, but less than 30 years ago (with those of Spanish origin).

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Time to shut this thread down!
Yes unfortunately so. Kind of like the saying, can't have nothing nice. Someone always tries to turn the thread into something it's not.
My experience with police in Spain have only been positive.

Thank you
Absolutely not true.
They are there to protect and to serve.
The police do an excellent job.

Thank you
The Police in Spain is very protective to pilgrims. Pilgrims are an important source of income in Spain. Thankfully. More than once have I been approached by them to only check out that I was well and had a good time.

Download the "AlertCops" app. it will give you instant access to emergency service from the police in Spain. It is great.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Absolutely not true.
They are there to protect and to serve.
The police do an excellent job.
I think that’s the the purported aim of the LAPD.

The motivation of police forces internationally, and their success in achieving it, does vary considerably.

The consensus on here (with which I agree entirely) is that the spanish police in their various guises are helpful to law-abiding peregrinos.

The vast majority of my interactions with police worldwide have been positive, including Spain. I would imagine hikers are a very easy group to deal with, and from what I can see, folks who have had major issues (of which there are too many) have been helped and supported to the level you would hope and expect. Certain sections of the worldwide community have views on police forces. I know people who based on their lifestyle have views of UK forces - 2 regions are deemed notorious - and have views on international police such as Belgium and German police (deemed as good) and Italian and Spanish police (deemed as bad). That’s formed by international football tournaments and the respective policing tactics. But that’s based on their ‘worldview’ and will be irrelevant to most people. I think for the most part of you are law abiding and street wise you will have little issue with police in most countries.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I

I am never sure why we need to shut down any thread that even seems to suggest that the world and those within in aren’t all perfect. We seem to live in a bubble on here. Maybe it’s just me!!!
The reason is that the forum is intended to be a place where pilgrims help each other on topics related to the Camino de Santiago. The strong opinions on various world problems can get very emotional and divisive, in a way that detracts from the key forum mission, and can become very difficult to moderate.

The reason is that the forum is intended to be a place where pilgrims help each other on topics related to the Camino de Santiago. The strong opinions on various world problems can get very emotional and divisive, in a way that detracts from the key forum mission, and can become very difficult to moderate.
Sure, thank you for responding and appreciate the moderation issue. Just an observation versus other forums, on other hobbies, that all.

€83,-
Ide
Call me idealistic, but I would like to think it is because we are people, not just some valuable income
Certainly from a UK standpoint, if a British Citizen gets attacked in a main ‘holiday hot spot’ such Cape Town, The Caribbean, Cape Town, or South East Asia, it is front page news, with an angle that may deter tourists, and the local officials act very quickly!

Don’t think that is the case with Camino assume it’s a small part of their tourism revenue?

I think for the most part of you are law abiding and street wise you will have little issue with police in most countries.
Maybe maybe not.
I was pulled off a train by Italian police at the Swiss border, because I look 'different.' Predjudicial treatment exists everywhere, and it's impossible to see unless you are the target.

So we all have a good impression of the GC, but as pilgrims by and large they want to make sure we are safe.

Maybe maybe not.
I was pulled off a train by Italian police at the Swiss border, because I look 'different.' Predjudicial treatment exists everywhere, and it's impossible to see unless you are the target.

So we all have a good impression of the GC, but as pilgrims by and large they want to make sure we are safe.
Thank you. Yes fully agree! I was going to caveat my post with pretty much what you said but I didn’t, and probably should have!! I am always conscious that my demographic means I have a certain amount of privilege! I come from quite a poor background and remember the amounts of ‘police stops’ in my youth when we were in the ‘wrong’ area such as a posh neighbourhood or such like!

I guess in my view the Camino (and this forum) is a very undiverse community, ethnicity wise, both northern Spain and the walkers, compared to most activities I do in my life, and most people don’t ‘look different’! Maybe that impacts our thoughts and experiences, maybe not!

I am always conscious that my demographic means I have a certain amount of privilege!
Same, usually. Travelling to where one is different gives a whole new perspective.

Maybe that impacts our thoughts and experiences
Yes. It can't help but do that. No doubt about it. And until we step outside the places where our demographic looks respectable we won't know.
It's actually amusing. In parts of Asia I'm treated with the greatest respect. But not always in the West.

In Europe or NA the opposite sometimes applies, as when I was yanked off the train by Italian police, for no good cause except that I am 'different.' I'm white, late middle-aged/young elderly, and generally do not get to see how protective my perceived harmlessness is. But that experience was a real eye-opener. Now I can much bettet imagine what it must be to be innocent but a frequrnt target of police attention - because of race, gender, age, or whatever.

Same, usually. Travelling to where one is different gives a whole new perspective.

Yes. It can't help but do that. No doubt about it. And until we step outside the places where our demographic looks respectable we won't know.
It's actually amusing. In parts of Asia I'm treated with the greatest respect. But not always in the West.

In Europe or NA the opposite sometimes applies, as when I was yanked off the train by Italian police, for no good cause except that I am 'different.' I'm white, late middle-aged/young elderly, and generally do not get to see how protective my perceived harmlessness is. But that experience was a real eye-opener. Now I can much bettet imagine what it must be to be innocent but a frequrnt target of police attention - because of race, gender, age, or whatever.
Thank you. Good insight and food for thought for many of us I am sure!

€83,-

Never listening to what others say can potentially be a risky approach. The individual who started this thread received a comment from someone they know and have taken that thought to the forum for additional inputs. They now have many inputs and can make their own decision on the validity of the information.

A forum, like this one, is here for the purpose of providing feedback on on the Camino and related issues.

Never listening to what others say can potentially be a risky approach. The individual who started this thread received a comment from someone they know and have taken that thought to the forum for additional inputs. They now have many inputs and can make their own decision on the validity of the information.

A forum, like this one, is here for the purpose of providing feedback on on the Camino and related issues.
Yes very well said! I always reflect on who is saying what, and think about why they might be saying it, and why they are saying it now, whether it is individuals or mass media….

But a forum is a good pace to launch a view and get validation or otherwise and this thread has added valuable thoughts and insights.

Most read last week in this forum

Reports of money missing from a few wallets at Rocanvelles this afternoon. Money was taken, but the wallets/purses were not. Police have been called. Stay safe!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.