• Update: The images and attachemnets are now back, we are generating new thumbnails.... (this takes time with 20 years of photos). I know the notification icon gives an error. That error should be gone within an hour or two. Sorry again! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Have a look at this Camino de Invierno Guide (pdf)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Polideportivos on the Invierno

peregrina2000

Staff member
In the current guide, we mention five places where (in the past at least) pilgrims have been able to stay in the polideportivo or the Centro Social. I have heard from no one in the past five years who has actually stayed in these places, except for maybe @Kinky. (Kinky, hope you are out there and can confirm or deny).

My current thinking is that I should remove all references to this option because I think that they are open, if at all, for large groups walking, and will not accept the individual or small group of pilgrims.

Any thoughts on this? Here are the towns we have mentioned

Priaranza, Borrenes, Puente Domingo Flórez, A Rúa, Chantada, Rodeiro

Thanks everyone. Laurie

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My intention is to walk the Invierno this summer. I can ask about polideportivos when I go, but I won't stay in them even if they are there :O)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We slept a polideportivo a few days out from Madrid in 2015 - could it have been in Cercedilla? That seems likely, looking at my credencial, which only lists a bar there.

This page still lists polideportivos in Cercedilla and Santa Maria La Real.

My notes all say that they are probably no longer available, but I will try the email route to some of the towns, thanks for the suggestion.
We could email the city councils and ask. I just did this for one place on the Madrid route and actually got a reply!

Good suggestion, Rachel. I woke up this morning to find that two of my six email inquiries had been answered. Chantada -- NO, Puente Domingo Flórez -- YES.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Good suggestion, Rachel. I woke up this morning to find that two of my six email inquiries had been answered. Chantada -- NO, Puente Domingo Flórez -- YES.

That was quick! I had to wait a couple of weeks.

Just heard from another town -- Priaranza del Bierzo reports the centro social is available. Advance notice is required, and I will be putting all that info in the guide.

The woman there is very helpful and has given me info on opening times for the castle (closed till March). But her hot tip of the day was that there are plans to open an albergue in Villavieja in the spring. Maybe they have bought up the house where the huge dog lives and will kill two birds with one stone. ;)

Update -- two more polideportivos reporting in.

A Rúa is no longer available
Rodeiro is available but must call ahead.

So, does anyone have a memory of any town other than these where polideportivo might be available:

Priaranza del Bierzo (yes still available)
Borrenes (still unable to contact by phone or email)
Puente Domingo Flórez (yes still available)
Chantada (no)
A Rúa (no)
Rodeiro (still avaible to pilgrims)

Any other places people know of?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back