• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Poll: Which backpacks are most popular on the Caminos?

Which brand backpack did you carry on your latest Camino?

• Total voters

Rambler

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2008 Camino Frances with Daughter, 2014 Camino Frances with Son
Since many questions are asked about which pack to get, I thought it might be interesting to see what brands are most carried right now on the Camino. Though this may show more about where the members of our virtual community may live than an actual census on the road, it may help those that are looking into a backpack narrow their options. If only 1-2 brands appear to be the majority, we will start another poll based on the most liked models in that brand.
This in not intended to be scientific, only interesting!

Enjoy.

Rambler

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm not sure choosing a pack as a form of popularity contest is a good idea. It's probably best to visit a reputable retailer and be properly fitted.
For what it's worth, I have carried four different brands on each of my pilgrimages - Macpac, Salewa, Kathmandu and currently Deuter. I wouldn't use the Macpac again, but that is because of its size, not because it wasn't a good pack.

From Ferrol

this varies widely according to nationality. Seems Americans are extremely fond of Osprey packs, you can almost spot em just on that alone. Germans like their Deuters (English people do too), Spaniards are partial to Quechua. I love my old Jansport.

Whatever floats your boat!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Oh well; couldn't remember the manufacturer / brand of my pack so I decided to climb up into the attic and check. Turns out their name isn't on the list. I do remember trying on several of the listed brands but I bought the one that fitted. That was some years ago so that is a possible explanation for my lapse of brand consciousness. When I'm wearing it the manufacturers logo is behind me, presumably to impress following pilgrims. At other times it rests in my airy roof-space out of all sight except one.

I guess my prospects for sponsorship will remain tenuous.

I just purchased a Gossamer Gear Kuma ......I'm excited to get it loaded and try it out for a couple months before I hit the Camino.....what I wonder is what size (liters) do most people think is needed? I know it varies a lot.... But is there an average?

I depends on the capacity and time of year, I'm not brand loyal, this month probably Berghaus.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'll be walking in Sept/ Oct so I'm sure I'll need rain gear as well as cold weather gear towards the end.....wondering if 36 liters enough?

this varies widely according to nationality. Seems Americans are extremely fond of Osprey packs, you can almost spot em just on that alone. Germans like their Deuters (English people do too), Spaniards are partial to Quechua. I love my old Jansport.

Haha you're right! Ospreys were a reliable indication of American-ness!

I found a quick squint at the manufacturer's name/logo on the rucksack as I approached someone was a pretty good indicator of nationality. Ospreys were definitely pretty much a guarantee of North American. Quechua was generally Spanish or French. Yep, predictably Deuters were Germans. I never met many other Brits but Berghaus were probably most common. Quechua and other European brands are starting to become popular here in the UK though as there are more Decathlons opening and more discount warehouses like Go Outdoors that push the less well known brands. If it looked a bit battered and worn then it was usually an Aussie :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'll be walking in Sept/ Oct so I'm sure I'll need rain gear as well as cold weather gear towards the end.....wondering if 36 liters enough?
You might want to think about layering with a thin rain shell on the outside.

I'm really glad I brought good gloves. I wore them way more than I thought. I didn't have a poncho but that didn't bother me. I DO wish I had gators though because the rain (it rained a lot all through Galicia in Oct) would wick right down my legs and into my shoes.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I presumed people walking with Osprey packs were Americans or Canadians, 80% of the time I was right.
I used an Osprey Exos 46 last summer, I found it too big (it was half full) for a summer Camino, it was light, but I had to sacrifice comfort for lightness.
I downsized and bought a Gregory Z30 and I couldn't be happier. I revised my packing list and shaved off a few kg's and my new pack is down to 6.35 kg with water and hiking poles.
My new pack is barely 3/4 full, I really wanted to go smaller but I found it difficult to find a smaller pack with a decent ventilated frame and wide hip belt.
I feel I could use this for a winter Camino as well.
The moral of the story is, Osprey is not the only game in town, there are other brands to choose from. Take the items in your packing list and bring them to the store and do a test packing, you might find that you can get away with a smaller pack.
For me, I'm happy with Gregory packs and find them more comfortable than Osprey packs.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Osprey - UK. I quite liked the Deuter specs but my local stores had very few. Cotswold Outdoor staff were pushing Osprey. I am very happy with my Osprey Kestrel 38 litre. I'm training with 10 kg, hoping to shave it down a bit before Camino.

Thanks so much for the responses ..... I was worried the 36 liter pack (gossamer Gear "Kuma") I just ordered would be too small, but it sounds like it should be doable. I guess if my stuff doesn't fit I need to get rid of some stuff! I was excited to find this backpack weighing only about a pound.....should receive it in the next few days. That will help keep my weight down :)

I have used Karrimor, Berghaus, Salomon and currently Deuter.

I liked the Karrimor but it was too big, heavy and very old (like me).
I liked the Berghaus but it fell apart at the seams just before Burgos.
I liked the Salomon (purchased in Burgos) but the straps bunched and became painful.
I like the Deuter.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
GO Osprey! ( American here ) .. my son has a Deuter and he's American ( with Germany Genealogy) . I have a Kestrel 38L and have been walking with it for two months with 8kg .. so far so good .

I presumed people walking with Osprey packs were Americans or Canadians, 80% of the time I was right.
I used an Osprey Exos 46 last summer, I found it too big (it was half full) for a summer Camino, it was light, but I had to sacrifice comfort for lightness.
I downsized and bought a Gregory Z30 and I couldn't be happier. I revised my packing list and shaved off a few kg's and my new pack is down to 6.35 kg with water and hiking poles.
My new pack is barely 3/4 full, I really wanted to go smaller but I found it difficult to find a smaller pack with a decent ventilated frame and wide hip belt.
The moral of the story is, Osprey is not the only game in town, there are other brands to choose from. Take the items in your packing list and bring them to the store and do a test packing, you might find that you can get away with a smaller pack.
For me, I'm happy with Gregory packs and find them more comfortable than Osprey packs.
We are Gregory fans and owners. Osprey was not a good fit for us at all though it was what we had set out thinking we would get.

I bought a Gregory 38L..it is quite heavy at 3+lbs. So, I went back to REI to try the Osprey...my friend who is doing the Camino with me is carrying an Osprey and it is just over 2lbs. I decided to stick with the Gregory because it fits me so well and feels so good and once it’s on my back, it’s 15lb weight doesn’t feel like 15lbs at all. I’m a happy pilgrim!! We’ll see how I feel after climbing over the Pyrenees, up to Alto de Pardon and climbing up to Cruz de Ferro.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
You all are sure different! I'm used to seeing long term backpackers who are carrying everything they own and traveling for a year or two or three. I see a lot of North Face and a lot of Wolfskin and starting to see much more Military surplus packs. Not at unusual to meet people carrying a 90 liter back on their back and another 90 liter pack on their chest. But they just hump their packs to the bus or boat or plane. Generally when they arrive at a destination, they leave their big packs in a hostel storage room while they do 2 or 3 day hikes with a small day pack.

Think I'll duct tape a five gallon paint bucket to a pack frame and weight it. Should be all I need.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My Berghaus 35+8 has served me very well over 3 caminos and counting. It‘s my friend. That said, I wouldn't necessarily go with Berghaus next time. For me it‘s a combination of size, comfort/weight, durability and very importantly for the Camino hydration. My current pack has a separate, outer pocket for a water bag, which works brilliantly for me.

This Irishman had been a long time away from serious walking & so listened to the guidance here - and eventually chose an Osprey Kestrel 38 which I was very happy with

One feature that caught my fancy was an elasticated tether for stowed poles - never used it once !

I did like the sound of a Gregory (good advertising) but couldn't find a stockist nearby

On the Camino I experienced few incidences of " Pack Envy" but the Deuters looked very nice

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Aarn Featherlite Freedom. A better mousetrap. View attachment 9135
I've been interested in this pack for awhile - we walked with Aussie friends who had them, and they seemed pretty awesome. Unfortunately there is no distribution in Canada and I'm reluctant to buy without trying. I do see there is one distributor in Colorado Springs in America... perhaps they will distribute sometime soon in Canada.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ok from reading the forum us Americans like Osprey. I guess I am like my fellow countrymen. I did go to EMS and spoke to the very knowledgeable salesperson who said that basically packs were personal preference. I did go with Osprey for I thought the pack gave me more options. So far glad I did.

Five gallon empty Paint Bucket with lid and duct taped to pack frame comes in at less than 2 pounds!

Good way to start an argument--bring up the pros and cons of cutting off the hip belt. Some people are so weight conscious they remove the hip belt; others swear they can't walk without the hip belt. I have packs with and without hip belts -sucker for $3 Backpacks at yard sales.

€149,-
Perhaps she can carry your pack for a stage on your next Camino . . .

I don't know any manufacturer who makes something suitable, even my beloved Aarn packs. Not for someone who is only 12 months old!

Terranova Laser 35 litre - weighs 500 grms, and vertical front zip means easy access. No solid frame, only a back pad (which I replaced, using my folded karrimat instead).
But, I find it's as comfortable as a framed pack, and doesn't seem to get any sweatier (is that a word?:)) Good hip belt and mesh side pockets.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I don't know any manufacturer who makes something suitable, even my beloved Aarn packs. Not for someone who is only 12 months old!
Well, it sounds like AARN needs to convert their front pouch option into a "snugli" :). Congratulations, by the way!

Well, it sounds like AARN needs to convert their front pouch option into a "snugli" :). Congratulations, by the way!

Actually, that's a great idea! I should send an email to them. There have been a few people expressing interest in walking with a baby.

Shucks - I thought I was English, but I like Ospreys not Deuter! Surely the most liked pack is the one carried by the person who shoots past you at a hundred miles an hour with what looks like the smallest, neatest and obviously lightest one! :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Weird that this thread has this brought out nationality in backpack choice. Maybe not so odd when travel writers write like this:

http://www.keithfoskett.com/usa-1-rest-of-the-world-0-the-zpacks-arc-blast-pack-review/

USA: 1 Rest of the World: 0 – The ZPacks Arc Blast Pack Review
Posted by Keith Foskett on Aug 31, 2013 in Blog | 19 comments
Remember my blog on El Camino de Santiago is where I’ll be for a while but you’ll get the odd gear review here.
Despite my first car being a wonderful 1967 Triumph Herald in sky blue, my cars since have never been British. My Dad once questioned why this was so to which I replied that as patriotic as I am, and with very few exceptions, we generally don’t build good cars.

El Camino is proving to be the lightest trip I have managed to take, especially with the Blast
It’s the same with the lightweight gear in the outdoor industry. The British are a way behind the leaders, especially in respect to the smaller, cottage industry companies in the States that are leading the field in design, innovation and manufacture of shelters, backpacks, sleeping systems, cook sets and a host of other gear.

I really don't care where it is made or designed, as long as it works.

The talk about choosing a backpack could go out for hours. I have a Quechua, because it was the most comfortable and cheap model that I could find here in Portugal. But If I had a bigger budget on that time, I would probably choose other brand. Or not. And why? Because a lot of brands are not available in Portugal, or at least not every model it's available.

Packs are things that you should try, and see how do they fit in you right? So, why go blindfolded to buy an Osprey on an online Portuguese store, if you can't try it? What if it doesn’t fit? What if you don't like the feel? Returns, refunds, blah blah blah; time and money that you could prevent spending.

Also, consider pricing: 100 and some euros could not be anything for a person who has a bigger income, but what about a country that has an average salary of 600€? Yeap, that's right that would become difficult.

And other thing: do you want a backpack for just travelling once or twice per year, or do you want to have something to use every week?

I like Quechua, mostly because they offer (or they used to) good products, for not so much money. My Forclaz 40 it’s in there, with 3 years old, 2 Camiños, a lot of other trips, and not a problem. I couldn’t say the same thing about my BERG, which in one year, had its compressions straps to disintegrate.

So, packs will vary according to the availability of brands, prices and income of every person. Does that have something to do with the country? Yes, mostly it has.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Since many questions are asked about which pack to get, I thought it might be interesting to see what brands are most carried right now on the Camino. Though this may show more about where the members of our virtual community may live than an actual census on the road, it may help those that are looking into a backpack narrow their options. If only 1-2 brands appear to be the majority, we will start another poll based on the most liked models in that brand.

Enjoy.

Rambler

Berghaus for me ... I've selected "Other" on your list ... must admit I saw lots of Berghaus packs when I was walking though ...

I'm taking one of those pacs that fold out from the inner pocket from Mountain Warehouse only 202 grams size 22ltrs. My total pack weight will only be 2.7 kg. I put everything on a spread sheet and cut labels off, shortend straps and cut my toothbrush in half to shave grams.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks for all those participating in the poll and my apologies if it offends anyone to use a poll to identify those packs most used by the forum.
First rule here should be that there is no one perfect pack for the Caminos and the best way to choose a pack is to go to a reputable dealer, explain your plan to walk th e Camino, and get fitted to a pack that is best for your needs and body type.

Having said that though, I think that many people come to this forum and ask the question "Which pack do you recommend?" Then we all give our opinions. This poll was intended to at least give a short list of brands to those prospective pelegrinos that are not wanting to show up at the outdoors store without at least a couple of suggested options that our readers would recommend.

In the end it is just fun to see all the different options there are in the world and how they do vary so much by location and geography.
I wish now I had know more about UK pack brands and I would have included those more.

Rambler

Haha you're right! Ospreys were a reliable indication of American-ness!
Oh dear! This emigrant Brit didn't know that! :(
I chose Osprey by searching the web and I liked the design. I had it shipped here and it took more than 3 months to arrive. We were getting rather nervous, because it seemed to have got lost! So Far, I have not seen a women's backpack here in Costa Rica. It's 35 litre and considering that there was no way I could try it on before buying it, it's fine. Only thing I don't like is that it sort of flops over when trying to pack it. In other words, it doesnt stand straight up. Adriaan has a super Deuter. Our old packs, both North Face ( also bought over the web), totally disintegrated after 3 Caminos. Anne

You might want to think about layering with a thin rain shell on the outside.

I'm really glad I brought good gloves. I wore them way more than I thought. I didn't have a poncho but that didn't bother me. I DO wish I had gators though because the rain (it rained a lot all through Galicia in Oct) would wick right down my legs and into my shoes.

Should you find yourself without a warm hat or gloves, at any time of the year, you can use an extra pair of socks as mittens until you can get to a shop. You can also use an extra t-shirt to make a cap to protect our head.

If you can find a China Bazaar, Oriental Bazaar or other similar named shop in a large town or small city, they carry very inexpensive microfiber hats and gloves. I found myself in this situation last April and May and ended up buying extra hats to give to other pilgrims who needed one. They really were cheap - Euro 1,20 each.

This year, I have a microfiber cap, gloves with anti-slip in the palms for my poles, as well as my new Camino Buff.

I hope this helps.

Well annakappa it wasn't foolproof. I met some Aussies with Ospreys too. But they seem to be hard to come by outside of the US. One of the biggest outdoor stores here (REI) seems to promote them pretty well.

I like mine a lot, but then again it's the only one I've had. People seemed to love their Deuters. I think they cost an arm & a leg in the states. Ospreys here are very reasonable.

Yeah mine barely stood up straight even propped against the wall.

@Rambler , I don't think that you offended anybody with your question mate. I think that the problem is just the way you've putted it.

When there are such a big variety of brands, with so big discrepancies of distribution around the world, it's a little bit difficult to find a "right" answer. One example of that is that "Other" brands have so many hits has the "Osprey" brand.

@Rambler , I don't think that you offended anybody with your question mate. I think that the problem is just the way you've putted it.

When there are such a big variety of brands, with so big discrepancies of distribution around the world, it's a little bit difficult to find a "right" answer. One example of that is that "Other" brands have so many hits has the "Osprey" brand.
Diogo:
You are correct about that and it may be better to list the general location (UK, Germany, Spain, Aussie, Brasil...) and then the most viable packs. It is interesting to see a pack and usually be able to tell the nationality of the pilgrim (i.e. all MEC packs are Canadians or Canadiens, LOL)

This reminds me of the new parents that come into a boy scout troop and ask the scoutmaster "So what equipment does my son need?" If the scoutmaster says "Go to a reputable dealer and ask them for a sleeping bag, tent and boots.", the family often ends up spending much more money than needed for equipment that the child will outgrow. But if the leader says "Most of our boys find one of these three packs, or these three boots, at these retailers to work best, but make sure you get them correctly fitted.", they have narrowed the field for the family and maybe saved them some money.

I had hoped to do the same here. I suspect that of the much talked about Osprey packs, there are only 3 per gender that would best suit a pilgrim. The others are too large or heavy or small. It would be nice to narrow that down for someone.

Rambler

Diogo:
You are correct about that and it may be better to list the general location (UK, Germany, Spain, Aussie, Brasil...) and then the most viable packs. It is interesting to see a pack and usually be able to tell the nationality of the pilgrim (i.e. all MEC packs are Canadians or Canadiens, LOL)

This reminds me of the new parents that come into a boy scout troop and ask the scoutmaster "So what equipment does my son need?" If the scoutmaster says "Go to a reputable dealer and ask them for a sleeping bag, tent and boots.", the family often ends up spending much more money than needed for equipment that the child will outgrow. But if the leader says "Most of our boys find one of these three packs, or these three boots, at these retailers to work best, but make sure you get them correctly fitted.", they have narrowed the field for the family and maybe saved them some money.

I had hoped to do the same here. I suspect that of the much talked about Osprey packs, there are only 3 per gender that would best suit a pilgrim. The others are too large or heavy or small. It would be nice to narrow that down for someone.

Rambler

Look, I understand the point of your thread, since everyday I’m often approached by people doing the same question, either personally or in other forums.

It would be much easier if we could do something with countries, or with zones/continents.

From what I've read on the forum about backpacks is most of you have got a pack that is far too big and heavy. Some of the packs probably weigh more empty than my pack filled and ready to go (2.7kg) 6lbs. So come on people get on the net and source that ultralite gear and cut out all that extra so called essentuals, remember you're hitting a couple of villages a day and staying in hostels, simples.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm an American that avoids the newer Ospreys like the plague. I used a women's Deuter walking my first Camino and love, love, loved it! Fit well, light weight and held up like a dream.

From what I've read on the forum about backpacks is most of you have got a pack that is far too big and heavy. Some of the packs probably weigh more empty than my pack filled and ready to go (2.7kg) 6lbs. So come on people get on the net and source that ultralite gear and cut out all that extra so called essentuals, remember you're hitting a couple of villages a day and staying in hostels, simples.

tictoc, I like your approach. Mine backpack empty weights 1,3kg. So, not heavier than yours :p

BUT, just think of some things:
  • Ultralight gear can be expensive has hell (my favorite ultralight backpack costs 400$, not counting with postal service and customs fee’s);
  • The majority of the people in here will probably take their backpack out and use it every once in a while, not every weekend (I wish I could go out in the woods every weekend), so they don’t really need a very specific piece of equipment;
  • Every person is different, and what might work for you, may not work for me. I don’t mind of taking a 40x40cm towel, but there are people who need a bigger one;
  • Time of the year it’s also important. Without any rain and cold, I can take almost 2/2.5kg of my pack, putting it with 5.5/5kg.
But yeah, I would like to see your pack list. Could you send it via PM? :D

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I tried on several different packs - found the ever popular Deuter uncomfortable- just could not get a good fit even with the women's. So I ended up with a Lowe Alpine as it was the most comfortable fit wise. But to find that one rucksack meant trips to a few different shops- so I was glad I started my planning fairly earlier before my first camino as I had time to find more arkward items (which for me is definitely boots - still looking for a pair that will not cause me problems at my ultra narrow heels-which seems to be an unending search)- but I never thought getting a rucksack would prove problematic -but trying them on is important

Guess my Gregory won't fit my profile.

I'm an American that avoids the newer Ospreys like the plague. I used a women's Deuter walking my first Camino and love, love, loved it! Fit well, light weight and held up like a dream.

That is exactly my experience, American woman here. I brought an Osprey home from REI (fitted properly in the store), packed it up with about 10 kg, walked around the block, and returned it the next day. Felt awful, instant back ache.

I love my Deuter Women's Act-Lite 45-10. It may be 3 lbs 5 oz - on the upper end of "lightweight" - but it feels superlightweight and cool on my back, and has held up to serious abuse. It feels lighter, sturdier, and more comfortable than my 1.5 lbs frameless custom ultralight pack - which I never wear anymore because I love my Deuter so much.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Enjoy.

Rambler

In my experience (walked May/June 2009 & 2011) most common was Quechua (I guess those were mostly Spaniards), on the second place there was Ospey (mainly on behalf of NorAm pilgs???) and the third place goes to Deuter (very mixed nationalities of owners).

Happy carrying your own whichever it is :D

I found a quick squint at the manufacturer's name/logo on the rucksack as I approached someone was a pretty good indicator of nationality. Ospreys were definitely pretty much a guarantee of North American. Quechua was generally Spanish or French. Yep, predictably Deuters were Germans. I never met many other Brits but Berghaus were probably most common. Quechua and other European brands are starting to become popular here in the UK though as there are more Decathlons opening and more discount warehouses like Go Outdoors that push the less well known brands. If it looked a bit battered and worn then it was usually an Aussie :)
I am Australian and my pack is an Osprey.....my older pack, which I still have and love dearly (the only reason I don't use it for the Camino is because of its' weight), is made by a local company here in Aust- brand name, Mountain Designs.

For me it is the Berghaus Verden 45. Wonderfully comfortable and it fit me superbly, so much that I could barely feel I was carrying anything on my back. It has lasted me one and a half Caminos as well as other hiking trips and it is really cheap for the quality, at less than 100 UK pounds. I'll be taking it with again next week for the Camino Ingles.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRquD-dYUag

Last edited by a moderator:
Haglofs OXO 60 did work for me. However don't be fooled by marketing messages.. Don't rely on the so called Test Reports either. You should try if a backpack really fits your needs and if it is comfortable enough.
What really surprised me to see is how few people know how to use a backpack at all. I've seen people walking without using the straps properly, causing some real neck/shoulder problems. I strongly suggest to test your gear with proper weight added to see if this really is good enough for you. After all you will be walking a lot with your "best friend" :) btw if you want to save money on your gear, don't do it for this specific item and your shoes ;-)

When you all recommend a certain size backpack , are you counting the size of extras strapped to the outside? Foe example, I have my 35 Lt pack with a sleeping bag, sleeping pad, water bottle, and a windbreaker strapped to the sides. If I counted those items , I guess I am well over 45 Liters. Looking at pictures on various sites, I see people with large packs with nothing lashed to sides and I see people with small packs with lots of stuff lashed to sides--aren't they the same?

My wife walked the Camino with an Osprey Sirrus 26 and loved it. I am walking this year - start in a week :) - with an Osprey Kestrel 48

Best Regards,
AE

Enjoy.

Rambler

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
tictoc, I like your approach. Mine backpack empty weights 1,3kg. So, not heavier than yours :p

BUT, just think of some things:
  • Ultralight gear can be expensive has hell (my favorite ultralight backpack costs 400$, not counting with postal service and customs fee’s);
  • The majority of the people in here will probably take their backpack out and use it every once in a while, not every weekend (I wish I could go out in the woods every weekend), so they don’t really need a very specific piece of equipment;
  • Every person is different, and what might work for you, may not work for me. I don’t mind of taking a 40x40cm towel, but there are people who need a bigger one;
  • Time of the year it’s also important. Without any rain and cold, I can take almost 2/2.5kg of my pack, putting it with 5.5/5kg.
But yeah, I would like to see your pack list. Could you send it via PM? :D
My pack list for who's interested.
Grms
Rucsac, cheap £14 202
1 ea long sleeve base layer, underwear, socks 273
Down jacket 222
Silnylon Poncho 139
Waterproof trousers 124
3 season down sleeping bag 851
Camp seat (luxury item) 272
Phone charger 69
Wash kit 285
Spare sundries inc,sun blk,crossword books 304
Guide books, 1st aid, phone I'll be carrying in my pocket for easy access.
So there you have it 2.7 kgs I might even add a pair of crocs 215 grms which brings it up to just under 3 kgs.
Enjoy

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Susan
I empathise with you. It must have been a difficult time .
I would take the red pack sign the same as you have.
When do you leave?
Annie

Hi Susan
I empathise with you. It must have been a difficult time .
I would take the red pack sign the same as you have.
When do you leave?
Annie

I will be leaving Chicago on June 3, spending a couple of days in London with a friend, then taking the Eurorail down to Bayonne. So, I plan to start walking on Saturday, June 7, or Sunday, June 8.

And thank you for your kind words. I will be taking some of my brother's ashes with me so a part of him will be walking the Camino with me. I have planned on traveling the Camino for 15 years. It almost seems surreal, in a nice way. I can hardly wait to start.

I just purchased a Gossamer Gear Kuma ......I'm excited to get it loaded and try it out for a couple months before I hit the Camino.....what I wonder is what size (liters) do most people think is needed? I know it varies a lot.... But is there an average?

Hi Jann,

I know a little bit about the type of pack you've ordered. I have a friend who has one, and I have a similar UL pack made by Six Moon Designs (though I overnight hike almost exclusively with my Deuter these days)

Forgive me (and ignore me) if this is presumptuous, but have you hiked with a pack before? If not, I just want to caution you about using a frameless UL pack. The weight savings is awesome, without a doubt. But do be aware that there is a comfort level fall-off the more weight you pack in it.

The GG Kumo is rated for 25 lbs, but recommended for no more than 20 lbs. We tend to think in kg for the Camino, so this means you want to pack a hard maximum of 9 kg. Now that's a great goal, but it leaves you little wiggle room. Your base weight (sans water and daily food) can be no more than 7 kg in order to allow for up to 2 kg of food/water (on the high end) to be carried at any given time. Again, 7 kg is a great goal, but leaves no wiggle room.

As you push the weight up in a UL pack, the comfort goes down - largely because of the pack's lack of frame, minimalist shoulder straps and narrow, unpadded hip belt. You can give a frameless pack more structure, and a little bit more comfort, by putting a folded sleeping mat in the pad pocket at the back. But that adds more weight, and a sleeping pad is generally unnecessary for the Frances.

Anyway, I hope it works for you. But I highly recommend that when it arrives, you pack it to max weight - 20-25 lbs - and walk a few miles to see how it feels on your back and hips.

cheers,
Caplen

My pack list for who's interested.
Grms
Rucsac, cheap £14 202
1 ea long sleeve base layer, underwear, socks 273
Down jacket 222
Silnylon Poncho 139
Waterproof trousers 124
3 season down sleeping bag 851
Camp seat (luxury item) 272
Phone charger 69
Wash kit 285
Spare sundries inc,sun blk,crossword books 304
Guide books, 1st aid, phone I'll be carrying in my pocket for easy access.
So there you have it 2.7 kgs I might even add a pair of crocs 215 grms which brings it up to just under 3 kgs.
Enjoy

@peregrina2000 , show this list to your friend ;)

Love that!!!but sorry for your loss! He is with you!

€60,-
I'm using the Gregory Z55 pack I bought to use for search and rescue training four years ago. It has performed well on my training hikes.

Hi Jann,

I know a little bit about the type of pack you've ordered. I have a friend who has one, and I have a similar UL pack made by Six Moon Designs (though I overnight hike almost exclusively with my Deuter these days)

Forgive me (and ignore me) if this is presumptuous, but have you hiked with a pack before? If not, I just want to caution you about using a frameless UL pack. The weight savings is awesome, without a doubt. But do be aware that there is a comfort level fall-off the more weight you pack in it.

The GG Kumo is rated for 25 lbs, but recommended for no more than 20 lbs. We tend to think in kg for the Camino, so this means you want to pack a hard maximum of 9 kg. Now that's a great goal, but it leaves you little wiggle room. Your base weight (sans water and daily food) can be no more than 7 kg in order to allow for up to 2 kg of food/water (on the high end) to be carried at any given time. Again, 7 kg is a great goal, but leaves no wiggle room.

As you push the weight up in a UL pack, the comfort goes down - largely because of the pack's lack of frame, minimalist shoulder straps and narrow, unpadded hip belt. You can give a frameless pack more structure, and a little bit more comfort, by putting a folded sleeping mat in the pad pocket at the back. But that adds more weight, and a sleeping pad is generally unnecessary for the Frances.

Anyway, I hope it works for you. But I highly recommend that when it arrives, you pack it to max weight - 20-25 lbs - and walk a few miles to see how it feels on your back and hips.

cheers,
Caplen

Chaplin,
Thank you sooo much for your response. Since I've never backpacked before I appreciate any and all advice given. I did receive the pack, but it was not a good fit for me due to the straps digging into my arms with every step. I did however load it up (to the brim) and agree, that would not work for me long distance. Luckily GG is very good to work with and will take it back for full refund. I went to rei and tried many packs, so far nothing seems to fit right. And I'm working hard to keep my weight down....it's a challenge! Thanks again for your advise and concern :)

Met a guy from Spain yesterday who told me that when he was younger, the Spanish Army made soldiers walk the Camino with a 40 kilo pack as a disciplinary action. He thinks they might still do it and told me to watch for soldiers carrying huge packs.

€60,-
All of the comments on Osprey packs made me curious. Went on their web site and realized that I have never seen one on my many travels along the Gringo Trails of Mexico and Latin America. Not sure why, but I'm guessing they might be too expensive for the low cost backpackers roaming the Gringo Trails of Central and South America. I'll keep an eye out for them while hiking the Camino--perhaps I should consider getting one sometime.

Met a guy from Spain yesterday who told me that when he was younger, the Spanish Army made soldiers walk the Camino with a 40 kilo pack as a disciplinary action. He thinks they might still do it and told me to watch for soldiers carrying huge packs.

What they do now, is a competition between each company, to see who can reach in less time from Tui to Santiago. I caught up with them last year, in May. The group that won made it in 23 hours and 30 or 40 minutes.

Enjoy.

Rambler
It'll be my first time to do the camino and I'm starting from Porto in June. I just bought a 46L North Face. I don't see anyone with a comment who used a North Face bag. Is it that bad?

€60,-
It'll be my first time to do the camino and I'm starting from Porto in June. I just bought a 46L North Face. I don't see anyone with a comment who used a North Face bag. Is it that bad?

I've seen some NorthFace on the Camiño, this year and the previous year.

Please could you send me your packing list. I am trying to be under 7kg including water and poles but I am finding it difficult to get there. Thanks

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Please could you send me your packing list. I am trying to be under 7kg including water and poles but I am finding it difficult to get there. Thanks
See my post above (tictoc) for a 2.7kg pac list

I don't see anyone with a comment who used a North Face bag. Is it that bad?

NF packs Might not be common on Camino but are extremely common in the Americas. Jack Wolfskin packs are probably the most common packs used by Europeans in the Americas and surprised no one mentions them for Camino.

. Our old packs, both North Face ( also bought over the web), totally disintegrated after 3 Caminos. Anne
I don't see anyone with a comment who used a North Face bag. Is it that bad?
Yes, I mentioned the unhappy ending of our two North Face packs.
Although we had different models, the same type of material had been used. Both Adriaan's and mine totally disintegrated after 3 Camino's. Anne

Iv bought a north face one for my up and coming camino. I have no idea about types of sacks whatsoever so i just looked for a 35lt one ad then picked them up to feel the weight. The one i walked out with is the weight of a plastic carrier bag! Read reviews about it when i got home and never found any bad comments. And in Scottish

Iv bought a north face one for my up and coming camino. I have no idea about types of sacks whatsoever so i just looked for a 35lt one ad then picked them up to feel the weight. The one i walked out with is the weight of a plastic carrier bag! Read reviews about it when i got home and never found any bad comments. And im Scottish
:)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm using the Gregory Z55 pack I bought to use for search and rescue training four years ago. It has performed well on my training hikes.

That's what I used. 55 liters was too big, but my Gregory Z 55 is so comfortable, I decided it was a good, though slightly heavy, choice. It felt like it was part of me, which is appropriate, because I too, am a slightly heavy choice!

If you only have 36 ltrs then it will help keep the weight down to the 10kg or 10% of body weight.

A very old - well, 15 years - Berghaus Bull Frog 30 plus litre pack. And hopefully it will make one last camino with me in a few weeks time.

Jodipup, don't get too hung up. You'll work out soon enough what you don't want and can post it on to Ivar.

The problem with asking for other people's lists is that it just gives you more things to add - things you had not thought of!

Still, you have asked so here goes.

When are you walking? If in June/July/August I take the following:
Zip off lightweight instant dry pants
A cotton voile sarong
1 merino t shirt
1 merino cardigan
Long sleeved cotton voile shirt (sun protection)
Silk singlet top
3 pairs of knickers
2 bras
Light cotton night dress (old and thin)
3 pairs socks
Zero G sandals
ASIC runners
Poncho (I'm currently trialling a Packa)
Down fill sleeping bag liner
Small soap, toothpaste, toothbrush, small size sunscreen, antiperspirant cream in a small tube, small microfibre towel, airline sewing kit, nail scissors, tweezers, micro pore tape, nappy pins, elastic twisted clothes line, trekking sticks, 2 x 400 ml water bottles, iPhone, charger, hiking umbrella, hat.

For spring or autumn I add silk or wool long johns and long sleeved spencer, a pashmina and ski gloves, and silk sleeping bag liner.

Chaplin,
Thank you sooo much for your response. Since I've never backpacked before I appreciate any and all advice given. I did receive the pack, but it was not a good fit for me due to the straps digging into my arms with every step. I did however load it up (to the brim) and agree, that would not work for me long distance. Luckily GG is very good to work with and will take it back for full refund. I went to rei and tried many packs, so far nothing seems to fit right. And I'm working hard to keep my weight down....it's a challenge! Thanks again for your advise and concern :)

Ah, that's what I kinda thought was going to happen. Well, I'm glad you had time to assess it and that GG was so good about returns.

I could recommend Six Moon Designs for a UL pack with more structure and comfort at heavier loads - better for a "beginner" on a non-wilderness hike where some amount of the pack weight may vary daily. However, SMD has completely redesigned their backpack lines recently, and while I still trust their quality, the new packs won't be available until end of April. But here is the website for anyone interested: http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/packs.html

As far as a regular lightweight pack goes, I have a short torso, and had a hard time finding a good fit. I tried Osprey, Gregory, REI brand... nothing felt right. I think my local REI had a couple of Deuters, but not a wide range. Did you try Deuter at REI? One of the reasons my Deuter ActLite 45-10 works so well for me is that it is a women's specific pack (shoulder and hip belts) and it has an adjustable torso - not something you find in a lot of other packs.

Since you have access to a local REI, I would recommend you try what I ended up doing. Order this online (assuming your local REI doesn't already carry it and that you haven't already tried and rejected it), and then take it into your REI, fully loaded, to have it fitted properly. You can always conveniently return it to the store if it isn't a good fit. http://www.rei.com/product/810844/deuter-act-lite-45-10-sl-pack-womens

Good luck!
Caplen

I have two backpacks, one being the Deuter ActLite 45 and I love it for the specific female fit, ability to use a hydration pack and separate compartment for sleeping bag. However it comes at the cost of weight, nearly 3 lbs. But if my load will be in the neighborhood of 25 lbs, I can bear this weight. For ultra lite trips between 15 and 19 lbs, I use a GoLite Jam 45 which weighs in at about 1 lb. I will probably use this for Monserrat to Santiago this year

When it comes to backpacks, and all other camping equipment, it's said everybody wants 1) light, 2) durable, and 3) cheap. Choose any two of the three.

Well, this American wore a Dueter, as did her husband. We tried on about five other brands, REI, Osprey, Arctryx (?), North Face, another whose name I can't remember right now. We both came back to the Dueter, which was the first brand we tried on! It felt like an old well worn shoe. Was extremely happy with it from SJPdP to Santiago. The information I came away with from this and other forums, was making sure it did indeed feel good, no matter what the brand name was.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Aarn Featherlite Freedom. A better mousetrap. View attachment 9135

I met a group of Kiwis (New Zealand) last year who all had AARN packs. They loved them! By shifting even a couple of kilos from the back to the front, you better balance the weight. This reduces stress on your hips and shoulders. It might look odd. But by the end of a 30Km day, you will appreciate it.

This year, I have affixed a Z-Packs chest pack to the front harness of my Osprey Kestrel. Together with up to 4-500ml water bottles hung on the harness, this should shift about 3-4 kg to my front from my back.

The Z-Packs chest pack will contain those things I might want whilst walking and which normally would entail removing the rucksack. I am thinking of gloves, hat, sun hat, extra water, Buff, guide book, snacks, etc.

This is a proof of concept. I hope it works.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.