• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pollution in Galicia

Lee Woodhouse

Time of past OR future Camino
September 6th 2016 I get to saint Jean, I plan on staying here 2 nights as I don't get there till late on the 6th so will set off on September 8th So if anyone is in Saint Jean at this time and wants a little wine... Give me a shout!!! ;)
Is it true that this part of Spain has the highest pollution in the air from factory's? Was looking to move here and I was just told this? I'm going next week to look at places so will have more of an idea, just thought someone here may know more. Thanks everyone and anyone walking right now Good Camino xxx

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Pollution? I'd be more worried by the extreme pilgrim levels. They're everywhere. Bars, Hotels, every street and by-way saturated in 'em.

Given Galicia sits in an Atlantic westerly air-stream I'd wonder where any 'factory ' pollution was coming from. Now, consider fermenting cow by-product and you are starting to get slightly deeper in to environmental challenges ;0)

Thank you my friend, I was wondering that and maybe it was just an estate agent trying to put me off looking up there.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
"I've been told" always makes me nervous. "I've read in the latest EC Report on air pollution in Galicia" gives me, at least, the comfort that some-one somewhere has actually done some research.
And at the risk of the ire of many members: I was serious about pilgrim-pollution. The impact of the "Camino" on parts of Galicia is significant. Beneficial or detrimental is probably a debate for another forum to this.

Yes well I guess it's a little like my home city of Durham and so any students.... But without them the city would be dead so we have to take the good with them bad.... But really thank you.

The page below has a link to the 2018 report on air pollution in Europe. Even if you don't read the whole thing, take a look at the maps with color coding for different types of pollution. There seems to be one hotspot in the north west of Galicia for particulate pollution, but otherwise it looks comparatively good:
https://www.eea.europa.eu//publications/air-quality-in-europe-2018

For different types of water pollution take a look at the maps on this site:
https://www.eea.europa.eu/themes/water/interactive/by-category/all-water-live-maps

For soil contamination - I can't find a pretty map right now. But someone else might be able to.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'll take a look, thank you ever so much.

Having lived on the coast of Galicia for the last 8 years I can say the costal air is clean & pure : you can tell the difference..there's no industry here..I assume there are a few hotspots in temporal times . But another factor is that in the interior like in Oursense & Lugo province's there's alot of woodland too even organic farming is real.important here ..Galicia is a true #paradise

The map shows one really bad spot for particulates - which I imagine is the Ferroatlantica factory which you pass on the way to Finnisterre. Apparently, the factory 'belongs to a well-known and famous former president of one of the most important football clubs in the country' according to the google maps review!!! It's certainly an eyesore to walk past. Lots of large lorries and belching smoke.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you all, I'm going to look at a few houses next week and I think this could just be a rival estate agent trying to put me off.... But I will have a good look and if I find somewhere I will also... Finger's crossed start my own business somewhere along one of the route.... Thanks all

Having lived on the coast of Galicia for the last 8 years I can say the costal air is clean & pure : you can tell the difference..there's no industry here..I assume there are a few hotspots in temporal times . But another factor is that in the interior like in Oursense & Lugo province's there's alot of woodland too even organic farming is real.important here ..Galicia is a true #paradise
MyDestination, how do I go about being able to live on the coast of Galicia? It's always been a dream of mine and I would love it if you could help me make it real :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you all, I'm going to look at a few houses next week and I think this could just be a rival estate agent trying to put me off.... But I will have a good look and if I find somewhere I will also... Finger's crossed start my own business somewhere along one of the route.... Thanks all
Lee, could you keep me filled in on what you find out please. I too am thinking of doing the same as you regarding moving there. How are the housing prices and what's on offer as well as what are the rules regarding moving and being able to live there? Thank you :)

Hi Kelly Ann,
When we got back from our Camino in 2016, my wife (who is from A Coruna) and I Googled "Galicia real estate" and got a number of hits that were interesting. Property prices vary wildly! Here's a link to one of the places that lists houses in Spain:

https://www.kyero.com/en/galicia-property-for-sale-0l55542

We walked right past the "Muxia- Country house" listed for 155,000 Euros. It is literally a ruin. But there are many other properties at reasonable prices. Google can be really helpful in regard to finding listings.

Thank you so much, Scott! You two must have really liked Galicia if you Googled it when you got home. Oh, A country house near Muxia - sounds like a dream!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Lee, could you keep me filled in on what you find out please. I too am thinking of doing the same as you regarding moving there. How are the housing prices and what's on offer as well as what are the rules regarding moving and being able to live there? Thank you :)
Another site is fotocasa.es and idealista.es

MyDestination, how do I go about being able to live on the coast of Galicia? It's always been a dream of mine and I would love it if you could help me make it real :)

Hi Kelly Ann of course I would be delighted to help. I have many contacts like English speaking estate agents, lawyers etc depends where you want to live etc the north (Coast of Death or the south where I live (rias baixas)...I just helped an American friend buy a flat in Nigran for his summer holidays..You can PM me and I use WhatsApp...

Hi Kelly Ann of course I would be delighted to help. I have many contacts like English speaking estate agents, lawyers etc depends where you want to live etc the north (Coast of Death or the south where I live (rias baixas)...I just helped an American friend buy a flat in Nigran for his summer holidays..You can PM me and I use WhatsApp...
I pmed you!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back