• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

polyprop or merino?

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
I would like to take a t-shirt to wear under my long-sleeved hiking shirt (which I always wear when walking for sun protection in summer and warmth in winter) We had a couple of days walking in the rain and it was oh so cold, but I think a thermal layer underneath would have made all the difference to my comfort level. I have erred in my thinking towards merino as I would not overheat if it got warm (when I get too hot my eczema flares up and so I try to stay on the cooler side if possible). Also, it does not get stinky like polypropylene can....but I'm wondering if the synthetic would be better for its wicking properties in the event of it getting wet. What would you do and why?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am surprised that a KIWIfamily would consider an alternate to good NZ wool except maybe better Australian wool:). May main preference was based on how quickly a garment can be dried after its daily hand wash. I personally find wool to be itchy but then I haven't tried the premium end of the market. After a week most pilgrims smell the same maybe that is why the vultures circle above :)

ffp13 said:
I am surprised that a KIWIfamily would consider an alternate to good NZ wool except maybe better Australian wool:). May main preference was based on how quickly a garment can be dried after its daily hand wash. I personally find wool to be itchy but then I haven't tried the premium end of the market.

Just got back from my first Camino and I have to say that the NZed we walked some of the way with had the most delicious merino that I envied. We looked upon his wool gear so much so that my husband and I have decided to give merino a go rather than the synthetic. He was always comfortable, rain or shine. I'm not sure that he washed it every day, though. I didn't notice that he stank any more than anyone else.

While my wicking shirts were wonderful and much needed in the 27C weather on some days, I would have liked to have had the wool and would probably pack just one short sleeved wicking shirt just in case it got too hot.

ffp13 said:
After a week most pilgrims smell the same maybe that is why the vultures circle above :)

I had wondered about that!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It's a matter of personal preference. I walked in ultrafine merino, my husband used hi-tech synthetic. The symthetic dries a bit faster but the (ultra-fine I stress) merino was very quick. I like the feel of it better. We walked in cool to cold weather, but wore the same top for a few days then washed it and in the evening after a shower changed into an evening set for days on end. Just took two sets of clothes each and that system worked well. Might not be so practical in hot weather.

I have been using 88% polyester/12% wool tee shirts from Outdoor Research. I bought two just before walking St Olav's Way, and they were brilliant in both the wet and dry.

I would like to say that were carefully researched purchases, but in reality they were on sale when I went into the shop, and were a serendipitous impulse purchase.

Regards,

I took a cheap pair of polyprops. If it looked like it was going to be cold for a while I wore them under my shorts Kiwi-style. But if the cold seemed 'temporary' I didn't care that I looked a bit ridiculous and wore them outside my shorts, and then it was easier to take them off if the day warmed up. (Usually if it was cold enough for polyprops it meant I also had my parka on as well anyhow, so they weren't too visible.) Mainly I chose polyprops over merino as they were lighter, and cheaper- and I figured if I decided to get rid of them, they hadn't cost too much. (I never did get rid of them- enough cold days came along every so often for me to want to keep hold of them.)
Margaret

Oops realise I have done the wrong part of the body- for on top I took a light merino jersey :) - didn't wash it until I got home again at the end of the Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
KiwiNomad06 said:
I didn't care that I looked a bit ridiculous and wore them outside my shorts!

Superman style :) ?

I hates the itchy scratchies even the finest merino gives me.
Hates it, hates it, hates it!
But I loves my lightweight longsleeve polyester T-shirt.
It's my precious.
It slippy slides over my skin and dries in a flash after I been running and swimming and fishing.
I loves it.
Horrid itchy scratchies, I hates them.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I use merino (ultra-fine ) and love it (across two caminos) - comfortable in all sorts of weather and it does dry fast. Natural wicking properties. People are very passionate on all sides of this debate, though.
Maggie Ramsay
"The Italian Camino" (Amazon)

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.