• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ponch

John Montgomery

For those pilgrims in Canada (and perhaps USA) Sierra Designs of Canada makes what seems to be a similar poncho to the Spanish Altrus(?) atmospheric called "Hurricane Poncho"

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Re: Poncho

Hi John,
You can edit your post - and the title.

The Hurricane doesn't appear to be at all like like the ALTUS.
The Hurricane is a normal poncho - the Altus is a raincoat.
It is longer, opens all the way down the front with a zipper and velcro stays, it has sleeves, it has an added 'hunchback' to accommodate the backpack.

Attachments

• Hurricane.jpg
    Hurricane.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 683
  • raincoat poncho.jpg
    raincoat poncho.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 683
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Do you have any comments on those cheapest ponchos (available in almost every megamarket and sportswear shop) They are about 3GBP, 6$, or 4Euros each. I'm thinking of buying one as they are amazingly light, you can put them in your pocket. I realize that they are not the best option- but maybe worth considering. They do not cover your backpack, but is it really necessary? Please help!

The main problems with the cheap, plastic ponchos is that they are very light and blow up in the wind, tearing easily - especially at the neckline; although they do have to go over the backpack they end up so high at the back that they barely cover you and the pack; they don't breath so you end up wet through from perspiration rather than from rain water.
Rather invest a little extra in a better poncho.

Re: Poncho

Hi Sillydoll...have you any experience with the Sierra Hurricane poncho? Or has anyone else????
I realize you are quite right...it is very different the the altuus atmospheric.(over the head, no back pack pouch at back)..I have purchased the sierra but have not tried it out. It has snaps on the side to close it in windy weather but even when closed lots of air room under the arms. It is advertised as breathable. It has no pouch at the back for pack as you point out but my L/XL size fits well on my 5"11" 180lb body .covering my Z55 Gregory backpack well with pleny of over hang.
I would aprreciate any feddback from folks who may have used this model. thanks
John

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi John,
No - I haven't tried a Hurricane poncho - it looks very solid though.
There used to be a two sided debate between Poncho vs rain suits.
The Altus added a third option - backpackers' raincoat.
Many hikers still prefer the poncho as some can be used as a groundsheet or even a small tent.
I'm sure yours is going to be more than adequate.

I traveled the Camino last summer with a wonderful raincoat. It was from LLBean (well known outdoor outfitter in the US) and it folded up into a little pocket (about 5x7 inches). I thought it would be perfect for the Camino. FIrst of all, it was too heavy. I used it the first day in Roncesvalles, and then carried it all the way to Galicia without a day of rain. I used it there, but when it rained, while I was dry, my pack and the contents thereof were not! This year I shall leave my lovely LLBean raincoat at home and get an altus poncho... I'm not so worried if I get wet - I'll probably wash the clothes I'm wearing anyway... but I want the contents of my pack; my sleeping clothes, my books, my sleeping bag and my change of clothes to be dry! That is just my opinion...

Buen Camino,

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
First Camino and walking with my wife. Decision time. Fleece and Puffer. I think one only but weather looks changeable at the moment. Trying to keep under 7kgs! Looking forward to a experience of...
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.