• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Poncho? Or not poncho?

KFor7007

I'm starting from SJPdP on the 10th September, and feel I'm fairly well prepared. I've got most, if not all of my essential kit now and my walking fitness (while I suppose it could be better) is OK. I've done some longish days and some hill walking.
I'm on holiday now with my wife before she goes back to work and I prepare to leave for my pilgrimage. It's raining heavily here - typical British holiday weather! - and so I took the opportunity earlier to try out my new camouflaged poncho, bought on eBay last week.
Well, it kept my dry. It is really light. I can wear it over my backpack. All plus points.
But - I'm not sure it's what will be best. I've always worn a Berghaus Gore-Tex waterproof jacket, waterproof, but heavy. In strong winds I just put my head down and walk into it. With my poncho this morning I thought I would take off at points.
So...after that long preamble...simple question: persevere with the poncho, or go for the heavier, more conventional jacket?

Keith

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm starting from SJPdP on the 10th September, and feel I'm fairly well prepared. I've got most, if not all of my essential kit now and my walking fitness (while I suppose it could be better) is OK. I've done some longish days and some hill walking.
I'm on holiday now with my wife before she goes back to work and I prepare to leave for my pilgrimage. It's raining heavily here - typical British holiday weather! - and so I took the opportunity earlier to try out my new camouflaged poncho, bought on eBay last week.
Well, it kept my dry. It is really light. I can wear it over my backpack. All plus points.
But - I'm not sure it's what will be best. I've always worn a Berghaus Gore-Tex waterproof jacket, waterproof, but heavy. In strong winds I just put my head down and walk into it. With my poncho this morning I thought I would take off at points.
So...after that long preamble...simple question: persevere with the poncho, or go for the heavier, more conventional jacket?

Keith
Hy , i m Peter , its personal i think , but i walk always without a poncho.

A poncho is better if it is the right design. A standard poncho that is open at the sides and goes on over the head is an inconvenience. A poncho that is like a rain coat is better. There are several designs including Altus, Packa, and Ferrino (sp?).

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It's all a matter of preference. I take a jacket. Not heavy, but i sweat like a PEEP in it when its raining but it isn't really cold. This made me think, what if i had a poncho. That thought stopped when i found out poncho people had the same sweaty issue.

The pro of a jacket is just that, its a jacket you can also use when going out at night when it cools down but it doesnt rain. I dont see anybody wearing a poncho when not raining. Would be funny though :)

So i am not pro poncho, but plenty of people here are. I am sure they can tell you the pro's of a poncho so you can make the right decision.

Ever thought about an umbrella? I always thought it was ridiculous, but looking at it closer i think there are also some good pro's to a (good!!) umbrella

Ponchos probably do a better job of keeping moisture out (rain) and in (sweat). Rain coats/shells probably do a better job of letting moisture out (sweat) and in (rain).

If walking didn't generate so much body heat and air temperatures didn't fluctuate through the day, then either a poncho or rain coat/shell would perform very well at keeping one dry.

I took a rain coat/shell and a lightweight poncho -- to have options.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Both goretexjacket and poncho.
Heading for the Portuguese in a couple of days I have brought my first poncho without frontopening because it weighs half of the heavier Altus poncho. I probably will regret that when the rain pours down.
Buen camino!

Definitely jacket over a poncho. I carried a lightweight, breathable Columbia brand. Worked great and dries quick when you hang it up later on and I could also wear it around when it wasn't raining but was chilly. Of course with a jacket you need to pair it with a waterproof cover for your pack.
Fortunately I had enough time to walk the Camino that if it was really raining heavy, I just didn't walk. Stopped at the next, nearest town and called it a day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone. Looks like the jacket will be the preferred option, and because the poncho's weight is negligible I'll probably take that for insurance too.

Keith

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am working (trying to stay as lightweight as possible) on taking Rohan elite waterproof coat and over trousers with all kit in backpack in compressible waterproof dry bags. Hi tech kit in zip lock waterproof bags.
ergo no Poncho

Last edited:
I wear both a dark green rain parka with pit zips (essential) AND a über light-weight Sea to Summit siliconized nylon poncho. The poncho is a light blue, translucent fabric that sets me in stark contrast to earth tones. I also use the red pack cover that came with my Osprey Kestrel 48L rucksack.

This combination keeps me warm. Yes, it does result in condensation (sweat) levels being higher. But remember, wet and warm is good, while wet and cold (chilled) is most definitely NOT GOOD. That is why I recommend the "pit zips" on outer rain gear.

Also, as regards wearing any rain gear, consider that when you are walking along a road, facing oncoming traffic (as one should), wearing a poncho or rain parka that that blends into the surrounding colors will not make you visible to an oncoming driver. Thus, a black, brown, rust, dark green, navy blue, tan, or camouflage poncho or rain parka will NOT enhance your safety while walking. Heck, even a very large, white plastic bin liner will be safer than walking in an outer layer that makes you seem to blend in with your background. That is why my light blue poncho works. I originally wanted the day-glo, lime yellow-green one, but they only had the blue one available.

Yes, I know my rain parka is dark green. But in the rain, I always wear the light blue S2S poncho over everything. If it is too warm for all the layers, I store the rain parka and opt for the contrasting poncho.

Besides, I bought the green parka for my first Camino and it has done well for me. I just needed to modify how it worked into my multi-layered, multi-functional system to not adversely affect safety. But, when next I buy a rain parka for Camino use, it will likely be in the brightest, most contrasting color I can find. Appearances and style are a distant secondary consideration to my personal safety. Anyone who does not like my ultra bright display of color can wear sunglasses...;)

Also, to mitigate weight, I now eschew carrying additional blinky lights, reflective vests, and the like. I have introduced day-glo colored web strapping, some with woven in reflective highlights, to my rucksack in favor of flat grey or black straps. I simply swapped the rucksack straps out where I could.

To be absolutely honest, I DO carry two, ankle reflective straps with velcro closures, and my hiking poles have several bands of 3M reflective tape on them. The ankle straps also fit my forearms, and do can double-duty as packing straps to secure items to my rucksack.

Finally, consider that there is an autumn hunting season in Spain. Rifles and shotguns are permitted for hunting. Yes, the Camino is safe and I do not want to suggest that hunters are lying in wait along the Camino. But consider early morning lighting conditions in the autumn when visibility is reduced. I suggest it is far better to look like a colorful clown than to be mistaken for a wild-boar or a deer. It is just not worth the hassle.

That is why I always recommend that your outer layer of clothing, especially rain gear should be of a color NOT found in nature during the season you are walking. It is the CONTRAST of an unnatural color against natural color that makes you safer. This is particularly true when you must walk facing oncoming traffic on a road. This is not frequent, but depending on your route, it does occur with some regularity.

I hope this helps.

You are a glow-in-the-dark pilgrim :);):D

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I walked with a Sea to Summit poncho in Sept/Oct. Walked through a lot of rain. Crossed O'Cebriero in a driving rain. The poncho has side snaps but the rain still gets through and my pants were soaked. Also the poncho can ride on around on you and expose you more to the rain. Pilgrims with the Altus Poncho were much drier. I'd rather perspire a bit than get soaked. The Altus is a better wind breaker than the Sea to Summitt also. For my next Camino I am heading towards a Gore Tex Jacket so I will have rain protection and a jacket. Rain pants and a good pack cover along with dry bags & zip lock bags.
If you do any other camping (such as back country camping) the Rain Jacket is more functional.
Good luck and Buen Camino Kieth.

Keith
We use a goretex jacket and an Akubra hat. It is an Australian version of a stetson or African bush hat. Made of felt, with a decent brim, it is great in both rain and sun, not floppy, but indestructible. One great thing about this choice is that when it is raining it keeps your face dry. You also don't sweat, and you feel comfortable in wet weather. We add lightweight rain pants. It is a less flappy, less sweaty way to walk in the rain. We have now done three different caminos and are very happy with this combination.
Maggie Ramsay
(The Italian Camino - Amazon)

I wear a rain jacket when I'm walking in Australia but a poncho on the Camino. The poncho lives in the zipper compartment underneath my backpack (the bit where the pack cover usually goes). I can unzip that compartment, take out the poncho and put it on without taking off my pack.

It not only keeps me and my pack dry, it's lightweight and easy to put on and off.

It is now perfect but it wasn't always so. In the beginning it was far too big and flappy so I took in the side seams, shortened the arms and even added a brim ... before you ask, yes it's still waterproof and has done a number of Caminos since its alterations.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Poncho. On windy days tie it with spare boot laces/wash line.

I walked with a Sea to Summit poncho in Sept/Oct. Walked through a lot of rain. Crossed O'Cebriero in a driving rain. The poncho has side snaps but the rain still gets through and my pants were soaked. Also the poncho can ride on around on you and expose you more to the rain. Pilgrims with the Altus Poncho were much drier. I'd rather perspire a bit than get soaked. The Altus is a better wind breaker than the Sea to Summitt also. For my next Camino I am heading towards a Gore Tex Jacket so I will have rain protection and a jacket. Rain pants and a good pack cover along with dry bags & zip lock bags.
If you do any other camping (such as back country camping) the Rain Jacket is more functional.
Good luck and Buen Camino Kieth.

I forgot to note that I secured the plastic snaps on the Sea to Summit poncho with duck tape. As I never needed the poncho for any other type of use, this prevented the snaps from coming open. I already wrote the company about their flimsy snaps. But I do not hold out hope for improvement. Still, IMHO the sil-nylon material is the way to do to reduce weight.

The Altus poncho is a very good choice. However, as it is not available in the States, I have to wait until I get to a well stocked sporting goods store. I have not fully researched this as an option. it is something to add to my "off season" list of things to look into...;)

Finally, one other consideration is that I now use a chest pack to shift some weight to the front of my rucksack harness. It makes walking all day more comfortable and relieves strain on my shoulders and hips. However, not all rain gear provides enough material to cover both the rucksack and the chest sack.

I used a Ferrino trekking raincoat for my first Camino (2013) and it worked wonderfully. The only two "but's" are that it does not have pit zips, nor is it large enough to allow for the chest pack. The third consideration deep red color was also not as visible as I would like. Actually, I bought it at the last minute in St. Jean Pied de Port. This is why I switched to the S2S poncho. Weight was a primary consideration in the choice to switch.

For my next Camino, in 2015, I plan to secure the S2S plastic snaps with 3M reflective tape tabs (about 1" x 2") BEFORE I leave home. This will ensure the snaps do not open, PLUS it provides an added measure of visibility.

You are a glow-in-the-dark pilgrim :);):D

I would rather be alive and glowing than dark and deceased any day or night...:) Besides, if it brightens another pilgrim's day, figuratively or literally, I have done a good thing. Finally, people will KNOW when they have encountered me.

This past June, I worked as an Amigo volunteer at the Pilgrim Office for two weeks. I had already adopted my day-glo lime/yellow green color motif for my Crocs, ball cap, and day pack. People began to refer to me as the "green guy." But, they never missed me...:eek:

The last night before arriving in Santiago from the Camino Frances, I usually stay at the Hotel Garcas near the airport. It is only a short detour (a couple hundred meters) from the Camino as you pass through Lavacolla. This arrangement makes my last day, walking to the Cathedral only about a two-hour walk. So, it makes sense.

The funny thing is that they have a parrot in a cage in the front area. His name escapes me at the moment, but it is something like "Lladro." I took a selfie with the parrot as my green-toned with yellow accents color scheme nearly matched his plumage. I think he was very confused...:)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Keith
I am also walking in September and have packed a 3/4 length Goretex jacket and also a lightweight insulated shell jacket in case of cold. Have I overpacked? Do I need both? Oh and I also have a long sleeve thermal to sleep in for cold nights but could possibly use that instead of the shell??

I am also walking in September and have packed a 3/4 length Goretex jacket and also a lightweight insulated shell jacket in case of cold. Have I overpacked? Do I need both? Oh and I also have a long sleeve thermal to sleep in for cold nights but could possibly use that instead of the shell??

Nope, your just fine. Just a jacket wont keep you warm around mid/end sept when eating or walkig outside. Even though it might still be warm to hot in daytime, it cools down at night towards end sept.

We favour ponchos (Rohan old style 340gms) and lightweight waterproof trousers (Peter Storm 155gms). As another post has said they go in an outside easily accessible pocket of our packs. The snaps on the poncho are good. We have jacket style fleeces for warmth/evenings. The latest Rohan ponchos are I think lighter weight and have longer arms/ sleeves which should be good, and they can still be opened out flat if needed. We only needed the trousers in the worst weather as the poncho did a good job on its own much of the time.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I love my ALTUS poncho and wouldn't be without it.
It keeps my feet dry.
It keeps my body dry in rain if I leave the top open to ventilate.
It keeps me warm in the wind.
It serves as an extra blanket when it's cold.
Last spring I took the Altus AND a jacket and never once put on the jacket.

In Galicia last May I used a poncho. When I took it off, I was just as wet inside with perspiration as outside with rain. It was pointless to wear it.
It seems impossible to buy an Altus in the UK.
I'm thinking of getting a breathable, waterproof jacket, from somewhere in the UK.
Any thoughts on that?

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.